U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

RoseRed

McNamara/Carpenter should be feeling really good going into Nationals.
They're in a good place. I'm interested to see how the Parsons do next week, since they still have the highest score of the non-H/D US teams. And H/B of course - hard to know what to expect from them.

Spiralgraph

Don't forget Chock/Bates, we haven't seen them either since worlds. I wonder if they're nearly ready to compete, I'm curious to know how they'll skate coming back from her injury.

Dobre

McNamara/Carpenter should be feeling really good going into Nationals.

They have a ways to go before Nationals, I think. Are assigned to the Austria Challenger event. (They've been scheduled for the same fields as Guignard & Fabbri in three events, which is funny. Obviously on the same general track).

Also, I am curious what USFSA is going to do with their invitations to Golden Spin. They've now given three CS events to both the Parsons and Carreira & Ponomarenko. So you would think McNamara & Carpenter would have three too, which would mean Golden Spin also. And, if Hawayek & Baker don't make the Final, I would expect H&B to go too. But Chock & Bates pulled out of Finland, and they might want to do Golden Spin themselves.

So . . . I'm curious.

Lots of GP events to go first, and at NHK in particular, there's room for Hawayek & Baker and/or the Parsons to make a splash.

firstflight

Happy for M/C that they were able to earn their first GP medal. I am really looking forward to seeing what H/B bring to the table this season. Rooting for the Parsons as well. Love the richness and depth of US ice dance

Me too! It's quite something that the 6th place finisher at US Nationals last season won a Grand Prix medal *without* already clearly surpassing the 5th and 4th place finishers. In other words, there's no assurance yet that McNamara/Carpenter are definitely going to leap-frog over the Parsons and Hawayek/Baker this season, and yet the international panels are still giving them medal-contending marks. Remember they barely lost out on the bronze to Z/G at Skate America. The Parsons have also earned medal-competitive scores across multiple competitions, so we'll see what a Grand Prix panel does with them.

I'm eager to see how Hawayek/Baker get slotted now that we kind of have an established range of scores for the two WISA teams. Do they maintain the clear separation they had last season, which would require a RD score of around 74 and a FD score of around 111-112 (depending on how the Parsons score in the FD going forward), or are they pretty much in the same band as the WISA teams? And if Hawayek/Baker are now pushing 74/111, then they legitimately could win the silver at NHK.

Dobre

That sixth place result at Nationals has always been misleading. M&C defeated the Parsons in both international head-to-heads last season and again at LPI this year. Even at Nationals it was a split result with M&C finishing fifth in the FD. It's a battle there for sure; but there's no reason to think M&C have ever been stuck behind the Parsons internationally. More that M&C need to do their job in competition in order to win that head-to-head, and the Parsons need to do likewise.

With Hawayek & Baker next week, boy, who knows? There is loads of room on the scoreboard between the top teams from Worlds and the up & coming tier. But Zagorski & Guerreiro weren't breaking into it right after injury and Hawayek & Baker may not be either. NHK has been good to them. Battle in neutral territory. If they aren't ready, though, the Parsons could be right there. Or not. Depends on which version of this team shows up.

A lot on the line. If Z&G can hold off the U.S. dance teams and grab a silver here, then Zagorski & Guerreiro will have the placements to make a bid for the Final (dependent on what happens in France). If Hawayek & Baker (or the Parsons) defeat them, then H&B (or the Parsons) can make their own bid. If the Parsons defeat H&B, we have at least a three-team race for the World team.
:watch:

Last edited:

firstflight

That sixth place result at Nationals has always been misleading. M&C defeated the Parsons in both international head-to-heads last season and again at LPI this year. Even at Nationals it was a split result with M&C finishing fifth in the FD. It's a battle there for sure; but there's no reason to think M&C have ever been stuck behind the Parsons internationally. More that M&C need to do their job in competition in order to win that head-to-head, and the Parsons need to do likewise.

With Hawayek & Baker next week, boy, who knows? There is loads of room on the scoreboard between the top teams from Worlds and the up & coming tier. But Zagorski & Guerreiro weren't breaking into it right after injury and Hawayek & Baker may not be either. NHK has been good to them. Battle in neutral territory. If they aren't ready, though, the Parsons could be right there. Or not. Depends on which version of this team shows up.

A lot on the line. If Z&G can hold off the U.S. dance teams and grab a silver here, then Zagorski & Guerreiro will have the placements to make a bid for the Final (dependent on what happens in France). If Hawayek & Baker (or the Parsons) defeat them, then H&B (or the Parsons) can make their own bid. If the Parsons defeat H&B, we have at least a three-team race for the World team.
:watch:

Everything you say here, I already was in complete agreement with-- I know that finishing behind Rachel and Michael wasn't reflective of last season overall, of course. We all saw M/C in the clear lead in 2015/2016, then the lead switched to the Parsons in 2016/2017, and then M/C taking it back last season. But, my point was that M/C are pulling in the scores this season regardless of where that rivalry settles. Hawayek/Baker haven't entered the ring yet, but there's no obvious place-holding for them, as the WISA teams are doing great.

We both are big fans of WISA. You just happen to land on the M/C end, whereas I'm more a fan of P/P. You started the M/C cheer thread, which I will be participating in because I love that team too. My biggest fandom out of that club is to the Parsons, so my posts will be realistic but still hoping the absolute best for them.

Jammers

M/C are setting themselves up to be a team to watch out for heading into the 2022 Olympics. I want some new blood for the 2022 Olympic team in Ice Dance and see them as the likely team.

layman

layman

http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91921&type=media

More good news. The Parsons and Hawayek and Baker are confirmed for NHK.

Article on NHK:
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/11/07/rika-kihira-shoma-uno-nhk-trophy-preview/

The article confirms that Jean-Luc Baker suffered a concussion that delayed the team's season debut. As a side note, I did not know that Papadakis and Cizeron had withdrawn from NHK.

The Article says that NBC Sports researcher Sarah Hughes contributed to this report. Is that Sarah Hughes as in 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
As I posted in the Parsons' cheer thread, Rachel & Michael already have competed 4 times internationally this season, winning 4 silver medals -- at Lake Placid International (164.74) in late July, Asian Open Trophy (157.13) in early August, Lombardia Trophy (170.68) and Nebelhorn Trophy (180.95), both in September.

NHK will be Hawayek/Baker's first competition of the season.

Best wishes to both teams in their first GP of two (both teams are also scheduled to compete in Grenoble, France).

ETA:
The Article says that NBC Sports researcher Sarah Hughes contributed to this report. Is that Sarah Hughes as in 2002 Olympic Gold Medalist?
She's a different Sarah Hughes (as mentioned below). Skater Sarah Hughes is at UPenn law school: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/skaters-and-retirement.101369/page-2#post-5093005

From the NBC article linked above: "Hawayek and Baker make their season debut after Baker, whose mom was a 1988 British Olympic ice dancer, suffered a second concussion in three years in August."

Last edited:

Evanstonsktr

http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=91921&type=media

More good news. The Parsons and Hawayek and Baker are confirmed for NHK.

Article on NHK:
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/11/07/rika-kihira-shoma-uno-nhk-trophy-preview/

The article confirms that Jean-Luc Baker suffered a concussion that delayed the team's season debut. As a side note, I did not know that Papadakis and Cizeron had withdrawn from NHK.

"NBC Sports researcher Sarah Hughes" is apparently this person, not the figure skater.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-hughes-b1bb0786/

Jammers

Chock/Bates' names were crossed out from Rostelecom Cup today. :(

In happier news, Caroline & Gordon Green were among many Washington FSC/SC of Northern Virginia skaters who performed at the Sectionals Send-Off on November 4 - photos: https://photos.ice-dance.com/2018-19/18WFSCSO/18WFSCSeS-8020.jpg.php
Sad that the Greens never competed on the JGP circuit this season . I think this would have been their breakout year much like N/K ended up doing. As it was last season even though they were probably the youngest teams competing in Juniors they won a couple of Bronze medals. They are even younger then N/K though so they have a few more years that they can compete on the JGP. The US looks good for the future in Ice Dance for sure.

RoseRed

Sad that the Greens never competed on the JGP circuit this season . I think this would have been their breakout year much like N/K ended up doing. As it was last season even though they were probably the youngest teams competing in Juniors they won a couple of Bronze medals. They are even younger then N/K though so they have a few more years that they can compete on the JGP. The US looks good for the future in Ice Dance for sure.
Doesn't change the point, but they weren't the youngest on the JGP last season. One of the youngest, probably, but I know that D'Alessandro/Waddell at least were younger (he's 2 days younger than Gordon, she's ~7.5 months younger than Caroline).

It was unfortunate they weren't able to compete in time for the late events. But anyways, they can still go to Junior Worlds this season if they're in good enough shape to make the team by Nationals.

Sylvia

TBD
Isabella Amoia, who turned 18 in October (she and Luca Becker placed 4th in the Lake Placid junior international event in late July), and Emily Bratti, 16 (who competed in the regular Junior events at LPIDC with Nikolay Usanov), are both listed on IPS as of early November.

ETA that Leah Krauskopf is also listed on IPS (she and Evan Walter competed in the RD event at Chesapeake Open) - I've crossed out the 3 Junior teams from my earlier list:
How many Junior teams have competed domestically so far this season? My current count is as many as 20 teams could be competing at Sectionals in mid-November. Top 4 in each Sectional will advance to Nationals (12 teams total + N/K).
I included each partner's club/section affiliation where known (could have been changed as of the Sept. 1st registration deadline).

Avonley Nguyen & Vadym Kolesnik E/M (Mids/1st last year) - have qualified for JGP Final; bye to 2019 Nationals
Oona Brown & Gage Brown E/E - 2 JGPs
Sophia Elder & Christopher Elder M/M - 2 JGPs (Mids/3rd last year)
Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville M/E - 2 JGPs (Easterns/2nd last year)
Emma Gunter & Caleb Wein E/E - 2 JGPs (Easterns/3rd last year)
Katarina DelCamp & Maxwell Gart M/P - 1 JGP (Mids/4th last year)
Alina Efimova & Alexander Petrov P/E - 1 JGP (Pacifics/3rd last year)
Jocelyn Haines & James Koszuta E/P - 1 JGP (Pacifics/2nd last year)
Katarina Wolfkostin & Howard Zhao P/M - 1 JGP

Caroline Green & Gordon Green M/E - WD from JGP (Easterns/1st last year)
Isabella Amoia & Luca Becker M?/E? - in ISP (Mids/2nd last year)
Allie Rose & J.T. Michel E/M - in ISP (Easterns/4th last year)

Ella Ales & Daniel Tsarik (new) P/E
Emily Bratti & Nikolay Usanov (new) E/P
Paulina Brykalova & Daniel Brykalov M/M
Molly Cesanek & Yehor Yehorov (new) E/P
Cherri Chen & Yuanshi Jin E/P (Easterns/6th last year)
Leah Krauskopf & Evan Walter (new) M/M
Bailey Melton & Ryan O’Donnell (new) M/M
Claire Purnell & Luke Purnell M/M
Sara Zhao & Caleb Niva (new) M/P

Maxine Weatherby & Dmitriy Bogomol (UKR) - he is listed on IPS
Anna Petterson & TJ Carey - will represent SWE this season?

Last edited:

firstflight

Both US teams are in good position to medal at NHK. I was wondering whether we would see a clear separation between H/B and P/P-M/C that we saw last season. It's hard to tell just from the RD because H/B had the lower base value, so I'm curious to see what happens in the FD.

Colonel Green

Both US teams are in good position to medal at NHK. I was wondering whether we would see a clear separation between H/B and P/P-M/C that we saw last season. It's hard to tell just from the RD because H/B had the lower base value, so I'm curious to see what happens in the FD.
The judges were really supportive of H/B in terms of GOE, etc. despite their bad keypoints, so I would guess they'll pull away in the free skate (barring disaster).

firstflight

The judges were really supportive of H/B in terms of GOE, etc. despite their bad keypoints, so I would guess they'll pull away in the free skate (barring disaster).

Yeah, and M/C's PCS in the RD at Helsinki landed between H/B and P/P's PCS marks here. If it's a fight at all at Nationals, that will be different than last season.

Dobre

We'll see. It can be easier to whip an RD into shape after time off than an FD, as we saw when M&C defeated Z&G in the FD at Skate America. And also with Skoptcova & Aleshin at SC. Just have to wait & see how the programs look today. Good luck to both teams!

Ena Grins

It's still a little hard to tell how Hawayek/Baker compare to McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons since the latter teams have each had multiple outings so far this season, while this is H/B's first time in front of the judges. I don't think we'll have a clear sense until Nationals are over.

The US worlds team feels really up in the air right now, which is exciting! I'd say there are six teams all with a shot at the top 3 (H/D, H/B, C/B, M/C, P/P, C/P), with only one favorite (H/D) and one high-ranked team we haven't even seen yet (C/B).

Colonel Green

The US worlds team feels really up in the air right now, which is exciting! I'd say there are six teams all with a shot at the top 3 (H/D, H/B, C/B, M/C, P/P, C/P), with only one favorite (H/D) and one high-ranked team we haven't even seen yet (C/B).
Unless Chock and Bates are a disaster at Nationals, I would say their spot on the World team is secure; they have a track record that none of the younger teams have, and they'd by default be expected to make the top 5 or 6 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information