Transparency comes to MLB: the 2024 baseball thread

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
My opening day tickets have been purchased and we are heading into our first season of Reds baseball as season ticket holders! This means that the Reds are either winning everything in sight or half team will be injured before the end of May.....there's not gonna be any middle ground with the way my sports luck goes most of the time, LOL :lol: :eek: :cheer:

Debbie S

With our top 2 pitchers likely starting the season on the DL (and Bautista out all year), I fear what the Orioles' April will look like. They're doing well in spring training games but that's probably not a definitive indicator. I hope they can at least win at home on Opening Day.

Firedancer

Really hoping the Yankees can stay healthy this year. The last several years have been brutal with injuries. Also, looking forward to what Juan Soto adds. He has been great so far this spring.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Nationals fan checking in. I'm not optimistic. Yes we have lots of exciting young and very young prospects but we also have huge holes they aren't going to fill any time soon. Expecting a season not much different from last year.

Wondering what @Rob thinks.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I'm enjoying watching potential bench-warmers show their stuff for the Phillies. That said, I hope this year's main lineup is very much the same as last year, with only occasional tweaks by Merrifield and Sosa. Why we still haven't gotten rid of Jake Cave I'll never know. He must have witnessed a murder or something.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'm enjoying watching potential bench-warmers show their stuff for the Phillies. That said, I hope this year's main lineup is very much the same as last year, with only occasional tweaks by Merrifield and Sosa. Why we still haven't gotten rid of Jake Cave I'll never know. He must have witnessed a murder or something.
Phillies still have Bryce Harper, Trea Turner and Kyle Schwarber?

Rob

Beach Bum
Nationals fan checking in. I'm not optimistic. Yes we have lots of exciting young and very young prospects but we also have huge holes they aren't going to fill any time soon. Expecting a season not much different from last year.

Wondering what @Rob thinks.
Agree. Will have to satisfy ourselves with watching young talent. Not expecting much. We were lucky to have had Max Scherzer in his prime. Surprised Lerners are keeping the team- with commercial real estate in the crapper, I don’t expect to see them invest the big bucks anytime soon.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Agree. Will have to satisfy ourselves with watching young talent. Not expecting much. We were lucky to have had Max Scherzer in his prime. Surprised Lerners are keeping the team- with commercial real estate in the crapper, I don’t expect to see them invest the big bucks anytime soon.
You never know what you are going to get with new owners, but I think we know what we're getting with the Lerners. Its pretty frustrating since we know they won't invest in stars.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Opening day is here! Everyone starts the day with a clean slate at 0-0.

Which puts the Washington Nationals in last due to the alphabet. haha. Hopefully that will not be the case when the season ends!

I saw one prediction that put the Nationals losing fewer than 90 games. Heh. I'll take it.

Stefanie

The weather is gloomy and cold here in Bmore for Opening Day. :( Feels like a dark cloud over the whole area the past few days. Hoping the Os win to cheer things up even just a little.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The weather is gloomy and cold here in Bmore for Opening Day. :( Feels like a dark cloud over the whole area the past few days. Hoping the Os win to cheer things up even just a little.
ooh yeah it is dreary this morning :( maybe a little sun could peak through later? Nats are in Cincy, no idea what the weather is there.

Orioles have a great outlook for the season! Something for Baltimore to feel good about!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Good day for the Orioles! 👏

Not so good for the Nationals, but hopefully @HeatherC had a good time!

Thanks BR! I had an awesome time today (sorry it came at your team's expense!) and considering it had been five years since I last attended Opening Day, I was honestly just ecstatic to be there again. There is NOTHING like the atmosphere in Cincinnati on Opening Day and the weather was cool but SUPER sunny so it was just about perfect. You could feel the energy in and out of the stadium and I think the players were super jacked up to finally be starting the season. The viking helmet HR celebration is back this year too which we got to see a couple times today! What a fun and festive game today....I LOVE this team so much! :cheer: :biggrinbo

Happy that the Orioles won too! :cheer:

Kasey

Well, my Phillies imploded spectacularly today in the season opener.....Kudos to Captain Caveman Marshy though, for the first Phillies homerun and RBIs of the season! Love me some Marsh!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So, while not a choir like at worlds, the Milwaukee Symphony String Quartet played the national anthem at the Brewers home opener yesterday. Additionally, there were people, not sure how they were selected, holding a ginormous American flag in the outfield. It was football field sized.

Anyway, based on crowd reaction shots shown on the jumbotron, people got fairly emotional. The whole effect was very moving and more places should use musicians, imo.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
So, while not a choir like at worlds, the Milwaukee Symphony String Quartet played the national anthem at the Brewers home opener yesterday. Additionally, there were people, not sure how they were selected, holding a ginormous American flag in the outfield. It was football field sized.

Anyway, based on crowd reaction shots shown on the jumbotron, people got fairly emotional. The whole effect was very moving and more places should use musicians, imo.

At the Reds opening day, we had a big flag out on the field too and it was being held by various members of the armed forces (Army, Navy, etc) so maybe they selected the flag bearers that way in Milwaukee too? That sounds amazing to hear the national anthem done by a string quartet! :)

Kasey

To get back to the thread title, Phillies and Cardinals played in the rain today. The whites were indeed mildly see-through!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information