This Is Us, season 5

Judy

Bumping up last season's thread for the 2-minute "This Is Us Season 6: The Final Chapter" official trailer that's out today (Nov. 25, 2021): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXxRULFrDk

First episode will air on Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2022 at 9/8c ("The final season will air mostly uninterrupted except for a brief hiatus in February as NBC hosts the 2022 Winter Olympics.").

It kills me to wait lol.

manhn

I cannot wait! I am good with January, the fall was busy for me and December tends to go by fast. It seems clear that Rebecca will be the focus for the upcoming season. Mandy should have been showered with awards these past five years. I refuse to believe that the people on The Crown were superior. Only British.

Japanfan

I refuse to believe that the people on The Crown were superior.
ITA. They were not superior, in fact IMHO, the roles for The Crown were much easier to play than the roles for This is Us. Lots of past materials and real life examples to work with, whereas the This is Us roles had to be created from scratch.

ETA: Probably more creative freedom, as well.

I still remember the scene in Episode 2 of Season 1, when Kate falls of the scale and Kevin comes to the rescue, bringing ice cream. That moment totally drew me in.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm already preparing to cry every single week while watching this final season because I'm definitely not ready to say goodbye to this family either. I think the break for the Olympics will be a good thing because it may be the only time I get some hydration during this final season of episodes, LOL :lol: :fragile:

Sylvia

TBD
"Mandy Moore, Milo Ventimiglia, Justin Hartley and more prepare to say goodbye by discussing the show's legacy." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq6P5LhYbRs

Hilarious Cast Bloopers :D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdN5odM_MQ

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over these relevant posts from the TV Shows thread ;):
Just watched [Season 5 finale] again and nope nope nope nope nope. I am still not buying Kate and Phillip as a couple. I am not buying Kate and Toby are soon to permanently break up, get divorced, her getting a relationship together with Phillip to the point of getting married all in pretty much just 4 years from the date of Kevin & Madison's called off wedding. Just no! I do not like this at all! If Kate Pearson and Phillip were real people embodying all the characteristics and personality and traits of fictional Kate and Phillip, they would never be a couple. If Kate and Toby were real people, they fit together perfectly. I do not like the direction of this story at all! Not at all!!!!! :mad:

In case you missed it ..... I don't like Phillip! :p Kate and Toby are perfect for each other. I am not going to be very happy watching this play out. I refuse to accept it. So there. :p
I never liked Toby. Or the actor who plays him for that matter.
My prediction is that Toby taking the job in San Fran for three days a week causes the relationship to collapse.

As to Kate and Phillip, I'll see how their relationships develop.

As to it being four years since Kevin and Madison's wedding, four years can be a long time. Especially if Kate and Toby break up in the first year, which I expect will be the case.

I think a clue was given when Toby said: "I love my children, but . . ."
I didn't like Toby, either. But, I could see him and Kate together. And, while I can see them breaking up, I agree with @BaileyCatts that, at least at this point, Kate and Phillip together don't make sense and I don't really like him that much. Maybe they will flesh out the Phillip character more so that it makes sense, but right now I don't see it.

I didn't like Madison at first, but now I hope she is able to find someone great.
That's interesting since it was only Chris Sullivan along with Sterling K. Brown that were nominated for an Emmy last season.

That being said, I didn't understand writing Toby's character arc as simply being a stick in Kate's wheels the entire series.
I like Chris Sullivan but I am sad that Justin Hartley will never get nominated for this show. An example where his looks are not giving the respect he deserves.
Another article ahead of the Season 6 premiere:

Last edited:

olympic

My first post in this thread.

I remember binging 'This is Us' Season 1 in 2016 during the holidays. Like many, I was in a million depressions over the US election results and honestly, this show perked me up. I was surprised when my husband told me this is the last season. I wonder how it will end.

DFJ

I liked the first few seasons but after that, got bored. Way too much angst in that family. I can't think of a character I actually like.

The topper for me was poor Kate having to look after her kids 3 days a week. Boo hoo.

I think Covid bitchiness is setting in. I need to relax.

Judy

I love all the characters.
I first started watching but then I always good a show or movie and then found out Jack dies. I stopped watching and a friend told me I had to keep watching. So I did 😀

manhn

I love love This Is Us. There is literally nothing like it on tv right now. They don’t feature anti hero characters, they are on network tv (if this was on some obscure streaming service, they’d get more respect), the tone is earnest where everything else is snarky or cynical.

The casting is so good, how the actors of different ages playing the same character all either look or act so similarly.

Japanfan

I love love This Is Us. There is literally nothing like it on tv right now.
ITA. And am hoping it finally wins some Emmy awards this final season. It's always been beat out by The Handmaid's Tale, and last season, by The Crown.

I think it is actually one of the best TV shows ever made. Although to be fair, I've never watched a whole lot of TV.

Japanfan

I'm just going to have to say somewhere that we have all been living through the c.v. I kind of wish we could watch t.v. dramas to escape it. They aren't going to do what real people out in the world are supposed to be doing. They let that daughter's boyfriend (I forget names) come over because he had been quarantining, without a mask? Rebecca was sitting inside a restaurant? Is this supposed to be March, before things closed? Or now, since things have opened up more? The medical shows are going to do it to. They've been taped long enough ago that things have dramatically changed in the real world. They should do shows five years in the future and talk about how we got through it and back to normal.

The first four seasons would have been filmed prior to the virus explosion. Season Five did include the virus, and a lot of the characters did wear masks when appropriate. For example, when Kevin sees Madison in the hospital as she's giving birth, the both of them wore masks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information