The Grand Prix Final has been cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Press release:

"Considering the pandemic developments and related impact on the organizers and participants of ISU Events, the ISU Council decided to cancel or postpone the following ISU Events:

ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, Beijing/China - December 10-13, 2020 (Olympic Test Event)
ISU World Cup Short Track, Beijing, December 18-20, 2020 (Olympic Test Event)"

Concerning the Olympic Test Events in Beijing there were also a number of logistical points raised by potentially participating teams that meant that hosting the competitions on the scheduled dates (close to the end of year holidays and National Championships) would have impacted on the number of participants, given the potential need to quarantine on returning to their home country.
The ISU, in consultation with all stakeholders and considering the pandemic developments, is evaluating the continuation of the 2020/21 season, in particular the re-scheduling possibilities for the important Olympic Test Events. The ISU will communicate the conclusions at a later date.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Does this mean the individual Grand Prix Series competitions will be cancelled as well?

I wonder how long until the ISU pulls the plug on Europeans and Four Continents.

Skate Talker

I guess the Final is different from the individual events in a few ways, the biggest issues being the need to have participants from various regions of the skating world. At least some of the skaters would need to quarantine upon returning home or to training bases and the timing relative to various national championships just doesn't work.

The individual GP events could potentially be reconfigured in such a way that they could include skaters who live or train near the event, possibly reducing the need for quarantine before/after the event but also not as likely to interfere with national championships as they occur earlier in the season.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
One big issue they faced was determining which six skaters/teams would be sent since none of them are doing 2 events to earn points. It's going to be the same dilemma for junior worlds since there are no international junior events.

Dobre

If they go by last year's GP events. Otherwise, who knows?

OK, I don't understand what part of qualifying for Junior Worlds you are referencing that requires the JGP. What are we talking about here? Junior World minimum scores? If the requirement for them were eliminated, would there be that many more athletes on the entry lists?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
OK, I don't understand what part of qualifying for Junior Worlds you are referencing that requires the JGP. What are we talking about here? Junior World minimum scores? If the requirement for them were eliminated, would there be that many more athletes on the entry lists?
Scores and how countries will select their skaters, but it may all be a moot point anyway.

Dobre

Scores and how countries will select their skaters, but it may all be a moot point anyway.

Well how countries select their skaters is a national issue so not something that will require international travel. Though I could see some countries selecting athletes without a live competition.

As far as Junior Worlds minimums are concerned, my guess would be that logistically they could be waived. It doesn't seem like a year in which too many participants would be a big problem.

barbk

I'm getting nervous about Worlds...and how Olympic berths will be determined.

Damn.

Orm Irian

I'm getting nervous about Worlds...and how Olympic berths will be determined.

Damn.

World Championships have been cancelled for multiple years in a row twice before, and when things got that bad the Olympics were cancelled right along with them. It’ll suck if it happens, but the sport will come back eventually, just like it did then.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
So no G-P Final means no G-P Series. For this season at least, let’s please stop calling the six local events part of any “G-P series.”

In 2020, Skate America and the rest are basically like the recent Nebelhorn Trophy - a local competition, with guests from neighboring countries who can cross borders. It was fun to watch Nebelhorn, regardless...but let’s stop calling it “the Grand Prix Series” for this year!

The words “Grand Prix” imply that there is a “Prix” at the end of a series.

That said, BRING ON THE COMPETITIONS!!! :cheer2:

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Philip Hersh has reported that there will be no attempt to reschedule:

December 17, 2021
s.gif

Following the ISU announcement on December 2, 2021 regarding the cancellation of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Osaka (JPN), the ISU evaluated a possible postponement to hold the Event at the end of the season and reached out to the six ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Group to find out if they could host the Event.

Unfortunately, despite all efforts made by the ISU and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Group, it was impossible to find a solution to maintain this Event.

Consequently, and for the above-mentioned reasons, the ISU Council regrettably decided to cancel the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2021/22.

The ISU regrets that the hosting of the event is no longer possible this season, and thanks the ISU Members for their efforts and cooperation.​

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I like how they clarified that they even reached out to Russia and they said no. Because the constant whining in the ISU comments after the news of the postponement was ‘move it to Russia, they’ll take it’.

Moreover, I still think with the Olympics and Worlds this season, even the precious substitute skaters for the Final didn’t really care about missing out 😛

Last edited:

Capella

It’s a shame the qualifiers miss out on the chance to win some decent prize money. The ISU should divide the money total and split it evenly among the skaters, or they could award based on qualifying placement.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thank goodness for honesty & no longer keeping the skaters hanging.

I hope that the Miss World organization does the same…not keep saying that yesterday’s “postponed” final (due to ***** outbreak among candidates & staff) will take place “within 90 days” when the 100 contestants are departing Puerto Rico to return to their homes.
another international event with big fan following- now “postponed” due to The Crud…and not the last one, IMO…

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Not that it matters but this is the thread about the 2020 GPF being cancelled...

I think this year is 2021, but I lose track...
You're absolutely right. When I read the Philip Hersh tweet this morning, I thought it deserved a thread but FSU assured me a thread already existed (at that one started by me). So out of an abundance of caution, I added this most recent piece of news to that thread.

Well, it's been a crappy couple of years. And if you want to start a 2021 GPF officially cancelled thread not only is it available but you can spell it without the double l.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
You're absolutely right. When I read the Philip Hersh tweet this morning, I thought it deserved a thread but FSU assured me a thread already existed (at that one started by me). So out of an abundance of caution, I added this most recent piece of news to that thread.

Well, it's been a crappy couple of years. And if you want to start a 2021 GPF officially cancelled thread not only is it available but you can spell it without the double l.
This one seems to be working just fine. I just had to be the one to point it out... :slinkaway

I'm easily confused by years these days. Often I think 2021 was last year. 🤷‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information