The Good News Thread

twinsissv

Today is World Press Freedom Day...CELEBRATE TRUTH IN THE WORLD THROUGH THE PRESS! :cheer:

"When truth is dispensable, democracy is in trouble."
-Dr. Weldon Gaddy

Last edited:

twinsissv

A message to all Mothers of the world: :respec: We thank you for all that you do!
"Children should be well prepared to question everyone and everything so they can become their own person."
-Dan Arel

twinsissv

I'm really not a person who loves royalty but I certainly would like to thank Prince Harry and Meghan for giving me something to look at yesterday and today which demonstrated what happiness and love should be. I had almost forgotten. I'll probably watch again tomorrow. :40beers:

I'll look at anything to avoid the emotions that our so-called government brings out in me these days.
Ugly...ugly emotions.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Japanfan

I'm really not a person who loves royalty but I certainly would like to thank Prince Harry and Meghan for giving me something to look at yesterday and today which demonstrated what happiness and love should be. I had almost forgotten. I'll probably watch again tomorrow. :40beers:

I agree, and I enjoyed watching the ceremony (aside from the bishop droning on and on). It was so nice to see two young people so much in love.

But OTOH I couldn't get away from thinking about the enormous privilege and entitlement that the royals have, while so many in the world live in dire poverty and don't even have access to clean drinking water and enough nutritious food.

twinsissv

I agree, and I enjoyed watching the ceremony (aside from the bishop droning on and on). It was so nice to see two young people so much in love.

But OTOH I couldn't get away from thinking about the enormous privilege and entitlement that the royals have, while so many in the world live in dire poverty and don't even have access to clean drinking water and enough nutritious food.
That's why I've come to admire this particular couple. They seem to espouse humanitarian causes and they even asked their invited guests to forgo wedding gifts but to donate to various charities with which they are associated. They had over two hundred people at their ceremony from just some of the charities they support. These were not VIPs but everyday citizens from the world's poorest areas who work each day to make their people's lives better (clean water, sanitation, HIV and Aids relief, assistance for women's business startups, Wildlife Preservation, landmine removal, etc.) Prince Harry's Invictus Games for gravely wounded soldiers was represented by some very happy warriors. Real people...I like that! :respec:

Last edited:

Japanfan

Well said, twinsissv.

Harry and Megan believe that with power, position, and privilege, comes responsibility to do good and support those with much less than themselves to live better lives. That's really how it should be.

On top of that they have to deal with constantly being on public display and everything that goes with that (like Meghan being critiques by the fashion police every time she is seen in public).

It's not a life for everyone - I sure wouldn't want.

But I do like their sense of responsibility. It's a marked contrast to people with wealth and power who just consider the world to be their personal playground, like Paris Hilton or the Kardashians (reprehensible human beings IMO).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The Royal wedding made me forget for a short time the tragic state of affairs in my country. The British Royalty were gracious, well behaved, and participating in the happy event, despite the racial differences. Harry and Meagan plan on doing charity work around the world. It was a good reminder that despite the evil in the world, some good does exist.

twinsissv

Happy World Immigration Day! :rolleyes:

Four former First-Ladies spoke out against the atrocious behavior of the Child-Abuser-in-Chief and they were even supported by his wife on a somewhat smaller scale. They could have been carrying signs that read: MAGA!

Mothers' Agonies Guarantee Anxieties!
or perhaps...
Megalomaniac's Actions Generate Atrocities!

P.S. SO...IS 'AMERIKA' GREAT AGAIN...YET? :huh:

Last edited:

twinsissv

Memo to the Kidnapper-in-Chief: You'll Retreat! We'll Resist! :40beers:

And zero tolerance continues from the zero 'president'. (well...seems mathematically appropriate doesn't it?)

aftershocks

Banned Member
These two surprise proposal videos are so sweet. The one with the weatherman and the news anchor is rather sedate. The news anchor was surprised but she definitely tried to hold it together in order not to show anything demonstrative on camera. :lol: Seemingly she wasn't surprised to be asked, but it was a surprise that he made the proposal on camera.

The second video makes me smile. It was rather cool of the friend to make the video and share it with everyone. I couldn't stop smiling when the girlfriend described how she first met her boyfriend in a supermarket checkout line. It seems like it was love at first sight for both of them. She was so overjoyed at the proposal. It's nice how it was filmed in nature with music and editing. It's uplifting to see young people in love, crossing boundaries and cultures, and making an initial long distance relationship work too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y97vpRellY0 Weatherman & News Anchor "I don't wanna be too perpy on camera" :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpnWoCycJ74 Finding Love at the Supermarket :saint:

Japanfan

Every time I hear of more and more atrocities in Syria, I wonder about that wonderful man who is saving as many kitties as he can. Bless him and bless his furry friends.:respec: :cat:

Indeed.

A testament to the fact that one can (perhaps must) must find beauty and purpose living in such horrible circumstances as those in war-torn Syria.

Stories like this restore my faith in humanity. To quote one of my favorite Leonard Cohen lines: "There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information