The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

kittysk8ts

:D
-Because it is the most entertaining discipline. The discipline in which the athletes commit the most time & energy toward relating to the audience.
-Because it is the most musical. Because there is no jump set up, the athletes have more time to reflect the nuances of the music for the audience.
-Because there is a relationship on the ice. In ice dance, one never has to try to empathize with Romeo or Juliet without Romeo & Juliet.
-Because it has become unpredictable. The results in the short & free constantly changed last year. Athletes did, in fact, climb the ranks. And they did, in fact, tumble down them.
-Because it's a soap opera on skates. Drama. Rivalries. Partner & coaching swaps. Deep national divides. International love affairs. What's not to love?
-Because when you see the right dance performance it touches your soul & and you could watch it again a million times. (Yes, this happens in every discipline. And it happens to casual viewers watching every discipline).
-World Championships in which entire teams of athletes seem to share the same bottle of hair dye?
-Twizzles.
-And fizzled twizzles.
-Because your favorite team just might win. And when they do, it will be epic. Because either it's an epic fight to the top or it's an incredibly rare early breakthrough.
-Because the potential for costume disasters is tremendous.
-Because the athletes stay in the sport long enough to be worth the emotional investment. The audience can fall in love with dance teams at an Olympics & see those same athletes return at the next Olympics & the next Olympics.
-Because the athletes commit 100% to the performance.

I was a casual figure skating fan. I'm obviously a serious fan now. I have always loved figure skating, but I became a serious fan when I fell in love with ice dance. PROOF!

There are SERIOUS dance fans. Serious fans of all forms of dance. And there are some serious sports-related arguments for becoming an ice dance fan. But why is it that people think that the competitive aspects of the sport are the only elements of ice dance that might appeal to a viewer on television? Ice dance has a great deal to offer its audience. Both as a competitive sport and as an art form.
All Hail The Ice Dance!! It is indeed my favourite discipline, and as a skating skills junkie, 4 minutes of steps and turns (minus 3 lifts and a spin of course) is so compelling to me, in addition to every single thing you posted. :)

nuge

It is indeed torture being a dance fan.We have to wait till more a less last to hear any music or programme news:(:mad:

sap5

Shame on you for thinking and saying this. FYI, there are a bunch of people who are actually devoted Ice Dance fans and no matter how you turn things upside down, there's no denying that the US Federation NEEDS to promote Ice Dance a whole lot more.

I'm a serious ice dance fan and certainly don't deny that USFSA should promote ice dance. But I thought the question was why NBC doesn't promote ice dance as much as ladies in its Olympic coverage? That was what I was responding to.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Only now caught up with Lake Placid videos, Carreira and Ponomarenko look great! FD is similar mood to last year (but I love it), it seems to me that they look faster? I see Jr world champions written all over them already.
Still early to judge the newly Senior US teams, but it's good to see that both the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter keep developing their individual styles. Looking forward to see the programs progress.

I may end up going again to Nebelhorn, so I am curious to see whom USFS and Skate Canada will send there. Hopefully both send one top team!

sap5

Only now caught up with Lake Placid videos, Carreira and Ponomarenko look great! FD is similar mood to last year (but I love it), it seems to me that they look faster? I see Jr world champions written all over them already.
Still early to judge the newly Senior US teams, but it's good to see that both the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter keep developing their individual styles. Looking forward to see the programs progress.

I may end up going again to Nebelhorn, so I am curious to see whom USFS and Skate Canada will send there. Hopefully both send one top team!

Hope you'll be able to make it! Always love seeing your pictures!

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Hope you'll be able to make it! Always love seeing your pictures!

Thanks a lot :D I finally should be getting a new lens by then! Hope to catch a couple of Challenger events this year :) I can hardly wait for the season to start and the excitement of new programs in small venues!

Last edited:

supergirl573

I wasn't saying that I don't like ice dance, I'm saying that judging is making fans, even fans of other disciplines, look at ice dancing negatively. If they only news that casual fans or the general public hears about are judging scandals and positive tests, why would see any results as legitimate? Ice dance needs to improve it's image.

Jun Y

:D
-Because it is the most entertaining discipline. The discipline in which the athletes commit the most time & energy toward relating to the audience.
-Because it is the most musical. Because there is no jump set up, the athletes have more time to reflect the nuances of the music for the audience.
-Because there is a relationship on the ice. In ice dance, one never has to try to empathize with Romeo or Juliet without Romeo & Juliet.
-Because it has become unpredictable. The results in the short & free constantly changed last year. Athletes did, in fact, climb the ranks. And they did, in fact, tumble down them.
-Because it's a soap opera on skates. Drama. Rivalries. Partner & coaching swaps. Deep national divides. International love affairs. What's not to love?
-Because when you see the right dance performance it touches your soul & and you could watch it again a million times. (Yes, this happens in every discipline. And it happens to casual viewers watching every discipline).
-World Championships in which entire teams of athletes seem to share the same bottle of hair dye?
-Twizzles.
-And fizzled twizzles.
-Because your favorite team just might win. And when they do, it will be epic. Because either it's an epic fight to the top or it's an incredibly rare early breakthrough.
-Because the potential for costume disasters is tremendous.
-Because the athletes stay in the sport long enough to be worth the emotional investment. The audience can fall in love with dance teams at an Olympics & see those same athletes return at the next Olympics & the next Olympics.
-Because the athletes commit 100% to the performance.

All of these, plus ...

The level of good looks in ice dancing is way above any other discipline in figure skating and possibly any other sport!

Yes, I'm shallow. Yes, a lot of it is grooming, costume, makeup, and packaging. Still, ice dancers are so beautiful to look at. I used to joke with a friend that a bald guy can make it in singles and pairs, but not in ice dancing!

lauravvv

Looks like Stepanova and Bukin are working on some really cool stuff with Misha Ge! :wideeyes: Can't wait to see their brand new programs!
Thank you, AquaLady.

I already like this way more than their tango FD.
Judging by how much dancing in place this particular program has even in this small fragment, I don't think it can be anything else but an exhibition. I might be wrong, but it definitely looks like that to me.

Sylvia

TBD
Link to the second annual Chicago area (Geneva, IL) ice dance competition this Friday to Sunday in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2017-dance-pairs-chicago-competition-aug-11-13.101682/

International teams listed for the Chicago competition (eta: Hawayek/Baker are the only U.S. senior team competing):

SENIOR
Abachkina, Angelique / Thauron, Louis France
Dufour, Olivia / Russell, Luke Great Britain
Ippolito, Aurelija / Jones, Malcolm Latvia
Hertenstein, Jenna / Binkowski, Damian Poland
Hew-Low, Kimberley / McKernan, Timothy Australia
Mueller, Katharina / Dieck, Tim Germany
Muramoto, Kana / Reed, Chris Japan
Nazarova, Alexandra / Nikitin, Maksym Ukraine
Reed, Allison / Ambrulevicius, Saulius Lithuania (new)
Tankova, Adel / Zilberberg, Ronald Israel

JUNIOR
Fadeev, Daria / Katsman, Val Israel (new) - SD ONLY
Ichilov, Shira / Davidovich, Vadim Israel
Tsutsumi, Megumi Detroit SC / Dickey, Devin Mexico (new) - FD ONLY

Last edited:

Dobre

Also a reminder that the Quebec competition starts today. (Seniors begin competing on the 12th). Teams scheduled to compete include:

Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson
Smart & Diaz
Lauriault & Le Gac
Soucisse & Firus
Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal
Fukase & Tateno
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs
etc.

teams listed for the Chicago competition:

SENIOR

JUNIOR

-Plus Hawayek & Baker as the only U.S. senior team on the list.
-Glad to see Nazarova & Nikitin getting an early start to this season!
-Senior debut for Abachkina & Thauron.
-Nice to see Mueller & Dieck getting out there twice before Nebelhorn in case Germany needs them.
-Looking forward to Muramoto & Reed's new FD.
-Welcome back to Allison Reed.
-And that confirms the earlier hearsay about Katsman now skating for Israel.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also a reminder that the Quebec competition starts today. Teams scheduled to compete include:

Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson
Smart & Diaz
Lauriault & Le Gac
Soucisse & Firus
Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal
Fukase & Tateno
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs
etc.
Senior Short Dance starting order for Saturday, Aug. 12 (18:55-19:55 in Rink 4): http://www.patinage.qc.ca/resultats-competitions/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/CQE17_21_OD.pdf

Quebec is being live streamed for free on Dailymotion - competition thread in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-10-13-pierrefonds-montreal-qc-canada.101645/

Last edited:

suki

Also a reminder that the Quebec competition starts today. (Seniors begin competing on the 12th). Teams scheduled to compete include:

-Plus Hawayek & Baker as the only U.S. senior team on the list.
-Glad to see Nazarova & Nikitin getting an early start to this season!
-Senior debut for Abachkina & Thauron.
-Nice to see Mueller & Dieck getting out there twice before Nebelhorn in case Germany needs them.
-Looking forward to Muramoto & Reed's new FD.
-Welcome back to Allison Reed.
-And that confirms the earlier hearsay about Katsman now skating for Israel.

How many countries has Allison Reed represented? So far, I count Georgia, Israel, and now Lithuania. I know she is American-born, but did she ever skate for US on a lower level (e.g., juvenile, novice)?

Dobre

How many countries has Allison Reed represented? So far, I count Georgia, Israel, and now Lithuania. I know she is American-born, but did she ever skate for US on a lower level (e.g., juvenile, novice)?

Not in dance. Per wikipedia, Japaridze was her first ice dance partner. In 2009.

lauravvv

Link to the second annual Chicago area (Geneva, IL) ice dance competition this Friday to Sunday in Kiss & Cry: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2017-dance-pairs-chicago-competition-aug-11-13.101682/

International teams listed for the Chicago competition (eta: Hawayek/Baker are the only U.S. senior team competing):

SENIOR
Dufour, Olivia / Russell, Luke Great Britain
Ippolito, Aurelija / Jones, Malcolm Latvia
Hertenstein, Jenna / Binkowski, Damian Poland
Hew-Low, Kimberley / McKernan, Timothy Australia
Tankova, Adel / Zilberberg, Ronald Israel

JUNIOR
Ichilov, Shira / Davidovich, Vadim Israel
Tsutsumi, Megumi Detroit SC / Dickey, Devin Mexico (new) - FD ONLY
Thanks a lot, Sylvia. Do you by any chance know where can I find a link to the entry lists?

Sylvia

TBD
@lauravvv there is no direct link, which is why I copied out the team entries in the Chicago competition thread in Kiss & Cry. If you can't access that thread, I've listed all the U.S. dance team entries here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...eason-news-updates.101390/page-6#post-5109365

Re-posting @jmtfti's article link here since Hawayek/Baker are starting their season in Chicago:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information