The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

VGThuy

I figure this was a joint venture between USOC aka Team USA and USFS as there were representatives from all kinds of sports doing these shoots on the same couple of days. I'm not sure how much power the USFS had in insisting that they include all three of the top ice dance teams, or how much of it was them not caring to. Plus, a part of it was probably the work of individual skaters/teams and their agents that helped them secure a spot here.

AquaLady

USFS is not going to do that. :sekret: They are not going to highlight the top three ice dance teams at the same time, at least not very often. USFS is still primarily focused on directing the public's attention toward the single skater disciplines. I know, it does not seem fair especially in light of the fact that ice dance has been the most recent success story in the U.S.A.

That's what really frustrates me... Like there's more talent in dance than there is in singles? Why put so much unecessarry attention on singles? For people like me who follow figure skating mainly because of Ice Dance, this is uncomprehendingly ridiculous.

blancanieves

Re: H&D Of course, it would have been nice had they been included in the photo shoot, but the fact that they were not, doesn't automatically spell gloom and doom for them. Too much is being read into one photo, IMHO. Now, one could argue, obviously, that H&D's stock would rise considerably if they could, on a regular basis, defeat and surpass C&B, for example...

I don't see gloom and doom either. I feel frustration that stems precisely from watching H&D be excluded from the Olympic promo while skaters like Vincent or Mariah, who didn't "defeat and surpass" the U.S. top seeds "on a regular basis," were invited. Consistently or not, H&D have surpassed C&B and S&S in competition (one or both segments) the past couple of seasons. And regardless, they have an international record that positions them as a team to highlight in the Olympic year.

Bellanca

I don't see gloom and doom either. I feel frustration that stems precisely from watching H&D be excluded from the Olympic promo while skaters like Vincent or Mariah, who didn't "defeat and surpass" the U.S. top seeds "on a regular basis," were invited. Consistently or not, H&D have surpassed C&B and S&S in competition (one or both segments) the past couple of seasons. And regardless, they have an international record that positions them as a team to highlight in the Olympic year.
I agree, but the number two ice dance team will usually always receive more attention than the number three ice dance team. Until H&D can (consistently) claim the number one or two spots, this is how it will be. They are not being ‘pushed’ or promoted like the top two teams in the U.S are even if they obviously deserve to be, as they are expected to make the Olympic team. As mentioned, ice dance is not nearly as unpredictable as the remaining skating disciplines are.

To remind: USFS is still primarily focused on directing the public's attention toward the single skater disciplines. This cannot be emphasized enough. The men’s and women’s disciplines are still the most coveted to the program which equals more coverage, promotion, time and attention for single skater athletes like Vincent and Mariah, etc. This is where the focus is at.

Politics. :blocjudge

VGThuy

Mariah beat Ashley in one segment of a competition as many times as H/D defeated the Shibs in one segment in competition this past Olympic cycle. H/D did manage to defeat the Shibs in one segment of the competition twice in the past five seasons and their stock is rising. Let's hope the media pays attention to them because it will be good for ice dance and they are deserving of the attention. I mean medaled in every GP event in the past two seasons, made the GPF in a very competive ice dance field, and became a medal threat despite being the third-ranked U.S. Ice dance team for the past three seasons. That is really incredible.

VGThuy

Starting with SC in 2013, they've medaled in every single gp event they've competed in.

That's really incredible, for all of our teams. Interestingly enough in the 2013-2014 season, the top four U.S. ice dance teams all medaled in the GP series, with the top three medaling in all of their events and H/D getting one. So if you think about it, the U.S. top 3 for the past four seasons have all medaled at all of their GP events. And yet, ice dance is never spoken about.

ETA: Since their senior debut, out of fourteen GP events (so not counting GPFs), the Shibs only failed to medal once and it's their first GP event this coming season. :yikes:Hopefully, they won't repeat that. :lol:

Last edited:

ninalovesskating

To remind: USFS is still primarily focused on directing the public's attention toward the single skater disciplines. This cannot be emphasized enough. The men’s and women’s disciplines are still the most coveted to the program which equals more coverage, promotion, time and attention for single skater athletes like Vincent and Mariah, etc. This is where the focus is at.
This really pisses me off. It's so inconsiderate of TPTB to prioritize singles... Like there are people out there who actually LOVE ice dance. Speaking for myself, I got introduced into FS because of dance... And honestly, I only follow/watch dance and pairs because I find those two disciplines way more interesting than singles. It's just disappointing. Hope Madi and Zach get the treatment they deserve.

blancanieves

I think it's frustrating because Madison and Zach are very photogenic and have incredible chemistry on and off the ice to be exploited for media.

And sponsors. Amateur athletes need money. No one wants to feel unappreciated by their federation, but the real loss here is missing out on the kind of strategic exposure that helps the quest to become marketable commodities.

Mrs. P

Hubbell & Donohue are on the list for the 2017 Team USA Media Summit, which will be held in September.

The Shibutanis and Madison Chock are also on the list (but not Evan, but I expect he'll be added)

The 2017 Team USA Media Summit returns to the Olympic winter wonderland of Park City, Utah, home and training site to hundreds of Team USA athletes. The event will take place Sept. 24-27 at the Grand Summit Hotel in the Canyons Village. More than 100 Team USA hopefuls for the Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 will participate in the four-day event.

The Team USA Media Summit provides media with unprecedented interview opportunities and access to America's top Olympians, Paralympians and hopefuls from all sports leading into the PyeongChang Games. Print, broadcast, digital and photo journalists are invited to conduct interviews and gather content during press conferences, roundtables, photo shoots, broadcast interviews, sport demonstrations and lifestyle segments.

This is much more extensive than the previous shoot, which was limited to NBC Universal/Comcast properties.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks. :) I'll bump up the earlier thread in GSD so people can continue discussing there if they want (ETA): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/winter-olympics-photo-shoot.101170/page-2#post-5099480

2017 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (July 26-29) links to entries for those who don't have access to the Kiss & Cry section:

International (Sr./Jr./Adv. Novice for first time): http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/lpicedanceintl.php
Countries represented in Senior besides USA are ARM, AUS, AZE, CAN, CZE, FIN, GER, LAT, POL.
The new team of Molly Lanaghan (who used to represent GBR) & Dmitre Razgulajevs are debuting for CAN.

Club competition: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/icedance.php
Megumi Tsutsumi / Devin Dickey are a new team for Mexico listed in the regular club comp. (Junior FD only).

Last edited:

Dobre

Meanwhile . . .

Lake Placid is happening in only a week!

Lots of brand new ice dance programs. Everyone mostly out to debut their programs & get feedback.

But, on the competitive front, worth watching . . .

-McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, and Pogrebinsky & Benoit all going head-to-head for the first time since they finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th at Junior Worlds in 2016. (Picture me hopping up & down with excitement).

-Senior debuts for the Parsons & M&C so they both need the senior TES. Also Biechler & Dodge and Manta & Johnson competing. So everyone likely to be in the running for the dance host spot at Skate America.

-Wamsteeker & Sales, Canada's current #5, will be there. They need the senior minimum TES in the SD.
Arnold & Williams, Canada's current #6, also need the senior TES minimum in the SD.
Lanaghan & Razgulajevs debuting as a team for Canada.

-Essentially, the entire U.S. junior ice dance field--all trying to prove they deserve one of the 14 dance spots on the JGP. Potential for more teams to be added to the ISP, and--therefore--good reason for everyone to fight for top scores. 18 U.S. junior teams here, and reportedly the score to get in order to make the International Selection Pool is 112.

-The Greens, Haines & Koszuta, and DelCamp & Gart's debut in junior international competition. Plus the international debut for the new partnership of Amoia & Becker.

-The first head-to-head of the season between the Greens and Carreira & Ponomarenko.

-Kuzmich & Sinicyn, Torn & Partanen, Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal will all be there. All likely looking to get feedback on their programs before the fight to try to make the Olympics at Nebelhorn.

-Mueller & Dieck trying to work their way up & prove themselves for Germany.

-Two Australian teams, Friend & Badoui and Hew-Low & McKernan, likely trying to show they deserve to represent Australia at Nebelhorn.

-Mini-battle between the two halves of Great Britain's Junior World representatives from last season, now split: Fear & Waddell vs. Marsh & Verburg.

-Most of the senior U.S., Canadian, and Australian teams here with a shot of making it to 4CCs at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Bellanca

No one wants to feel unappreciated by their federation
It’s not that H&D are unappreciated, it's the fact that they’re the third ranked team, and so they do not benefit from the amount of attention afforded to a team like the Shibs. H&D will not be ignored by USFS, just not the primary focus.
LOL! Maybe the shoot will be Chock-only!
Evan is the eye candy, but Madison is the one being pushed and promoted. ;)

Jun Y

-The Greens, Haines & Koszuta, and DelCamp & Gart's debut in junior international competition. Plus the international debut for the new partnership of Amoia & Becker.

-The first head-to-head of the season between the Greens and Carreira & Ponomarenko.

While I have pretty relaxed expectations about senior teams, the junior dance field kind of freaks me out. I think the event I will enjoy the most is juvenile pattern dance. :p

The question is whether there will be webcast of the events like the past few years. There's no information on the Web site.

Last edited:

blancanieves

It’s not that H&D are unappreciated, it's the fact that they’re the third ranked team, and so they do not benefit from the amount of attention afforded to a team like the Shibs. H&D will not be ignored by USFS, just not the primary focus.

I understand there is a hierarchy among medalists. However, this was a Team promo event. If inviting Mariah to the photo op didn't take away attention from Karen, why would inviting H&D take away attention from S&S?

Ice dancers should be afforded the same opportunities as free stylers :)

Dobre

While I have pretty relaxed expectations about senior teams, the junior dance field kind of freaks me out. I think the event I will enjoy the most is juvenile pattern dance. :p

Who are you most worried about?

Maybe we should all list the dance teams we worry about the most. Fear is a good sign, really. It means we are so connected with those teams that we care.

McNamara & Carpenter have me all petrified because last year at Nationals they went from skating like the best in the world during the first half of their FD to out of the running in a matter of seconds. Ahh! If they didn't have the potential of that incredible first half, I wouldn't be worried. But--dang it!--they do so I want to see that potential realized.

I'm really rooting for Lewis & Bye in the junior ranks this season. They had a number of rough performances last year, but I feel less nervous after their solid debut at the Chesapeake Open. And they are competing in the domestic event here, which is not as packed. (Knock on wood).

I'm very happy that Avonley Nguyen has found a partner. I have no expectations, but I want Nguyen & Kolesnik's season to go well because I hate worrying about losing talented young ice dancers the way I worried about her last season.

I'm a bit worried about what kind of packaging Shpilband has dug up for Carreira & Ponomarenko and Lewis & Bye. I'm generally good with young teams training with him because they are building the technical skills that they need. But the recycled-or-schmaltzy-program potential makes me worry at the start of each season. I try to tell myself that it is juniors and that potential is true for everyone, but it doesn't help. With L&B and C&P, I care.

Still no word from anyone on Mansour & Ceska?

Jun Y

Who are you most worried about?

Maybe we should all list the dance teams we worry about the most. Fear is a good sign, really. It means we are so connected with those teams that we care

I am a little worried about Lewis and Bye for the same reason. They need to build their confidence since last season.

But I fret the most over the Greens. They are so technically precocious. It's inevitable that there must a lot of pressure on them. I just hope that they are tough competitors who are not crushed by the pressure. This year is kind of crucial in their trajectory.

Overall I look at such a competitive field and wish for most of them to skate together and get international opportunities. But the price to pay for a flourishing field is that many will stay home.

Dobre

The two new Spanish teams still need special permission in order to compete at the Olympics, though, correct? Because of the three-years-since-you-last-competed-for-your-former-federation rule? It's a good step, though. Implies that the Spanish Fed will support their teams in the attempt. I hope this works out for them. It would make the fight to represent Spain a lot of fun.

I think it is so awesome that Spain has three dance teams.

chapis

The two new Spanish teams still need special permission in order to compete at the Olympics, though, correct? Because of the three-years-since-you-last-competed-for-your-former-federation rule? It's a good step, though. Implies that the Spanish Fed will support their teams in the attempt. I hope this works out for them. It would make the fight to represent Spain a lot of fun.

I think it is so awesome that Spain has three dance teams.

:fragile: it is true :wall:

And the Spanish Federation published its criteria for the one Olympic ice dance spot: it will go to the team that has the greatest cumulative points from Golden Spin (6-9 Dec) and Spanish Nationals.

https://twitter.com/Hieloespanol/sta...51247041769472

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information