The Dance Hall 8: Join the Maskerade 2020-2021

happycamper2554

Do we think Sinitsina/Katsalapov will retire after Beijing? Nikita gave an interview last summer and said if it was anyone else, he would recommend retiring but he doesn't know for himself.

Like Dobre said with G/P, it's taken S/K quite a while to get to the top - they've really only had 2 seasons (not including this one) which really isn't that long compared to the likes of H/D and C/B etc.

Also Victoria is still pretty young, she's only 25 I believe so for her another cycle is more than possible, it's just a question of whether Nikita would want to carry on (I believe he's 29ish)
I think in an ideal world (for them) they would both continue. But they are so injured. She's had both knees injured. He has his back, i think both shoulders too. Also her recent experience with YKW. I wish they could, but I don't think they can.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I cannot imagine S/K in the run-up to the 2026 Olys. I hope that they will be ok through 2022.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think we will see a lot of teams go the Denkova/Staviyski, Dubreuil/Lauzon, Bourne/Kraatz, Lobacheva/Averbukh route and stick around for another year post-Olympics, maybe two (especially if fall internationals are limited again next season). Especially the ones who may have a window of opportunity to get on the podium or even win. But I don't see them doing anything further than that.

Dobre

Three teams will win Olympic medals. Then probably at least another will medal at Worlds. A team that has never won Worlds will win it this season (we hope). And quite plausibly another team that has never won Worlds will win it immediately after the Olympics. I think quite a few dreams will be fulfilled by the time we get through Worlds next season. No one knows who those teams will be at this point, but I don't expect there to be a lot of the top six that feel compelled to go on once some of those dreams are fulfilled. 1-3 maybe.

And Stepanova & Bukin, who I'd guess will go the whole 4 years.

The injury problems are an issue for Sinitsina & Katsalapov. You never know. Both Madisons have had serious injury problems and made it 4 more years than one could have counted on. I just think S&K's odds are a lower for staying in due to the injury problems than they might have been without those problems.

mjb52

I was thinking about this too. I think about a quote from Nikita after their medal in Saitama looking back at how the 2017-2018 season ended about how it would have been easy to give up after all their difficulties but they didn't want to give up, and how he/they (can't remember) had lived life on skates. Some skaters stay because they just love skating, and I feel like S/K could be like that. Probably a lot depends on the Olympics.

Peepsquick

I feel the same about P/C: they are passionate about their sport and so far, I didn't have the impression that they were done with it. But right now I am a bit worried that the pandemic threw them for a loop and that they are in limbo, not having had the chance to compete since last year. I hope they stay on.

litenkyckling

I think a lot of teams might have completely different ideas now to what they did a year ago - perhaps the last year has made them want another season and has highlighted how much they love the sport, some might have realised that they have other passions that they want to pursue or maybe injury/health complications could have an impact.

I wonder if Adrian Diaz retires (I think Madi has said they won't get married until they've both retired?) whether Olivia would stay on? I always forget how young she is (22? I think?). This actually is my biggest issue with big age gap teams - one member will inevitably have to retire/find a new partner when they are at or reaching their best.

I'd like S/B to continue but I wonder if her back issues will encourage them to retire? Although I think they want a world medal and their best bet for that is probably 2022 or 2023 given their health issues this season.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
P/C will surely go for another quad if they will settle for silver again, even if they win the OGM , I think they will do what V/M Did, take 2 seasons off and come back.

Forget about S/B waiting post 2022 to get a world medal, It will be a new era with Davis / Smolkin (The Nepo couple) as russian top dance team under Igor 😆. They will battle it out with Krylovas new pair, Kaganovskaya / Angelopol. Igor vs Krylova!!!

but then again, K/A are 3 years younger than the Nepo couple, Davis is 18 while Kaganovskaya just turned 15.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

P/C will surely go for another quad if they will settle for silver again, even if they win the OGM , I think they will do what V/M Did, take 2 seasons off and come back.

Forget about S/B waiting post 2022 to get a world medal, It will be a new era with Davis / Smolkin (The Nepo couple) as russian top dance team under Igor 😆. They will battle it out with Krylovas new pair, Kaganovskaya / Angelopol. Igor vs Krylova!!!

but then again, K/A are 3 years younger than the Nepo couple, Davis is 18 while Kaganovskaya just turned 15.
(hate to pin any hopes on juniors, ever, because it's not worth the heartbreak!!) but - Kaganovskaya/Angelopol just have something so special imo - for me they have that can't put your finger on why it's so good it just is (is this the "it" factor?). Also a possible nepo team given his uncle is Ovsyannikov.

I also find Davis/Smolkin just... meh? Nothing draws me to them and Igor's latest MR choreo for them is... yikes? Igor is the Sparky Polastri of ice dance.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
(hate to pin any hopes on juniors, ever, because it's not worth the heartbreak!!) but - Kaganovskaya/Angelopol just have something so special imo - for me they have that can't put your finger on why it's so good it just is (is this the "it" factor?). Also a possible nepo team given his uncle is Ovsyannikov.

I also find Davis/Smolkin just... meh? Nothing draws me to them and Igor's latest MR choreo for them is... yikes? Igor is the Sparky Polastri of ice dance.
I didnt know that, come to think it , is that why Ovsyannikov is working with Krylova, you can see both of them in K&C, yes that was him..

I really do think Davis / Smolkin (Famous FS mom coach) + (son of russian actor) will be russia's top dance couple, I think they improved but lets see how Igor can really package them and removing that "nepo" stain, also its a win-win, Igor can finally choreograph for Tuts Ladies skaters 😉

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Don't forget there is Morozov/Bagin coming up in the next cycle as well. Or, well, Morozov and whomever they get to partner her... Maybe Stepanova will retire due to her back and Annabelle will become Ivan's partner.

Dobre

In part because of a statement they or one of them made in an interview after the last Olympics that implied they might not have completed this 4 years if they had won the last Olympics. That's super vague, and I've no idea which interview or statement it was. It was just the impression I had after reading the interview, and I only remember it because it would never have occurred to me that they would not have planned to continue through 2022 prior to reading that interview.

In part because they are not competing this season and their explanation for that hasn't been clearly linked to injury or illness or concern about health dangers.

In part because of some stuff I've read that I can't share, and I could be interpreting it wrong so maybe my interpretation is totally off anyway. Maybe worth nothing, but it is part of why I would be shocked if they continued.

In part because they've won everything except the Olympics, and I don't see them hanging in for 4 more years for the same prize they've been chasing this quad.

In part because the odds are perfectly good that they will win this Olympics and the need won't be there anyway.

In part because this is the stage of an ice dance career when most teams become invested in wanting to control their choreography or wanting to branch out via a coaching change or taking more control over their career. And I've not seen that from these two.

In part because I've never heard them mention any skating career goals beyond winning an Olympic gold medal. (Such as winning more than one or winning the most Worlds ever or winning a team medal, etc.)

There are many more heavy duty P&C fans here than me. You guys follow their career much more closely than I do, and I'm sure some can argue with my impressions. But there's no need, really.

They're young enough to continue. They can if they wish. I just don't get the impression that they wish. Doesn't matter what my impression is. It only matters what future they mutually envision for their career.

But I assume you honestly wondered why I would be shocked, and the above are the honest--if hazy--reasons why.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I always got a sense that this quad would be the last for P/C and that they would have actually retired from competitive skating had they won gold in 2018 to pursue other passions or at least took a season or two off and got back for 2022.

Peepsquick

In part because of a statement they or one of them made in an interview after the last Olympics that implied they might not have completed this 4 years if they had won the last Olympics. That's super vague, and I've no idea which interview or statement it was. It was just the impression I had after reading the interview, and I only remember it because it would never have occurred to me that they would not have planned to continue through 2022 prior to reading that interview.

In part because they are not competing this season and their explanation for that hasn't been clearly linked to injury or illness or concern about health dangers.

In part because of some stuff I've read that I can't share, and I could totally be interpreting it wrong so maybe my interpretation is totally off anyway. Maybe worth nothing, but it is part of why I would be shocked if they continued.

In part because they've won everything except the Olympics, and I don't see them hanging in for 4 more years for the same prize they've been chasing this quad.

In part because the odds are perfectly good that they will win this Olympics and the need won't be there anyway.

In part because this is the stage of an ice dance career when most teams become invested in wanting to control their choreography or wanting to branch out via a coaching change or taking more control over their career. And I've not seen that from these two.

In part because I've never heard them mention any skating career goals beyond winning an Olympic gold medal. (Such as winning more than one or winning the most Worlds ever or winning a team medal, etc.)

There are many more heavy duty P&C fans here than me. You guys follow their career much more closely than I do, and I'm sure some can argue with my impressions. But there's no need, really.

They're young enough to continue. They can if they wish. I just don't get the impression that they wish. Doesn't matter what my impression is. It only matters what future they mutually envision for their career.

But I assume you honestly wondered why I would be shocked, and the above are the honest--if hazy--reasons why.
Thank you for your answer(s)@ Dobre. It honestly can only be "hazy" at this point because it is only conjectures from all of us. I only hope that they are still driven by their love of skating and I don't see them as only competition driven. I'm sure it is part of what motivates everybody but I truly think that they find fulfillment in the creation of new pieces. They do have their personal struggles like everyone else but that is their private life. I think they were stuck after the .... started. First they were exposed, had to recover but as I understand it, were in limbo because they didn't want to risk going back to France (for good reasons). I don't know if they could have participated to either the American or Canadian competitions: the different Feds want their own to have the top spots. They have been aimless for the first time since they started skating and that worries me a bit. Lack of structures or deadlines can wreck havoc on your psyche. I know ... I've been there.
I think they have still much to give ...

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
We don't know how well their recovery went, either. We saw them at IAM Live two months after they were sick, and just skating little bits of their FD left them absolutely winded.

Sonata

Ice Academy of Montreal - Dubreuil/Lauzon/Haguenauer. Why it needs a period between the I and the AM, I have no idea.
To make people think of “I Am”, which I suppose reflects a philosophy/approach. And to distinguish it from whoever else has the IAM trademark.

Or to avoid making people think of the cat food company.

coralline

I admit I rather look forward to the French and Russians retiring next year so ice dance dominance will rightfully swing back to the proper North American schools.

-BB
Actually what are the proper North American schools?Looking around I
believe almost all the head coaches in North America are Europeans.😂

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Must be a hard pill for all those patriotic American ice dance fans that there would be no American ice dance programme without the Soviet Union and communism. :saint:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information