The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Spain's Sofia Val (age 15) and Linus Colmor Jepsen (age 19, born in Denmark) have split and she hopes to find a new partner: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBYW9AZCdY5/
They competed 2 junior international seasons together: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107024.htm
Article in Spanish (June 15): https://www.hieloespanol.es/1/la_ex..._y_linus_colmor_jepsen_se_separa_3250015.html
Google translated excerpt:
As reported by HIELO ESPAÑOL the most direct environment of Sofía Val, the dissolution has been due to "difference of characters and visions about this sport". Sofia will continue residing and training in Lyon, where after the period of confinement decreed by the French government to combat COVID-19, she returned to training last Monday (June 8). Her most immediate objective will be to find a new partner with whom to represent Spain internationally.
Linus Colmor Jepsen will also search for a new partner. In his case, in principle, he plans to compete again for his country of origin: Denmark. In case of doing so, as dictated by the ISU regulations, you should wait a year to be able to take part in an international test.
Linus' statement on his IG (in English): https://www.instagram.com/p/CBaRPSUpukc/

aftershocks

Banned Member
I can't locate their fan thread, but here are Fear/Gibson, interviewed by Jordan Cowan of OnIcePerspectives. Jordan has a new YouTube channel, and this is Episode 13 (streamed live on June 9, 2020:

Sylvia

TBD
Jordan Cowan also held a live chat with Olivia Smart and Adrián Díaz on May 24 "to watch their rehearsals from Javier Fernandez's Revolution On Ice in Madrid last December."

And for those interested, I've posted the links to Jordan's live chats with Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue & Hawayek/Baker in the U.S. Dance thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.105725/page-22#post-5825035

Ice-Dance.com is hosting another ice dance trivia event tonight at 8 pm Eastern time - link to register is here: https://twitter.com/icedancecom/status/1275123206127378433
It's Olympic Day today (June 23) so this week's theme is the Olympics.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Already being discussed in its own thread, but Nguyen/Kolesnik's split is a big unexpected thing for post-Beijing ice dance in the North American/4CC division.

I don’t expect H/B to stick around so C/P, G/P & maybe Wolfkostin/Chen or the Browns? U.S. dance is getting thinner.

PinkRose

Per wikipedia & their ISU bios, he's the same height as Quinn.
I don't believe that Lorrainne's height is correct. She is much taller than it says in any of her bio's. I just looked at if you convert cm's to in for US measurements, she is 5'6 according to ISU Quinn is 5'9 and Vadym is 5'8-1/2. So according to ISU it's only a 2" to 2.5" difference. I would imagine that coaches would think that's a little too close in height.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The US dance field post-Beijing is shaping up to be really interesting, even with the herd thinning (which was probably inevitable given the long wait to be top three).

Conversely, Lajoie/Lagha are so far ahead of the rest of the up-and-coming Canadian dance field that I’m not sure how anyone would ever catch them.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Conversely, Lajoie/Lagha are so far ahead of the rest of the up-and-coming Canadian dance field that I’m not sure how anyone would ever catch them.

You never know, the one thing that is sure in ice skating is that the unexpected can and does happen!
Always remember, the ice is a slippery place in more ways than just literally!

Sylvia

TBD
New Senior teams expected/hoping to debut in 2020-21:

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi (JPN)
Kiria Hirayama & Aru Tateno (JPN): https://www.instagram.com/p/B-eIJZ5p7Pt/
Carolina Moscheni & Francesco Fioretti (ITA)
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva & Egor Bazin (RUS)
Lorraine McNamara & Anton Spiridonov (USA): https://www.instagram.com/p/CCMLnrdpG9T/

Not yet confirmed: @Ka3sha posted recently that "Rumor says Alena Kanysheva (age 15, recently switched to ice dance) is skating with Nikita Nazarov" (age 22).

Last edited:

thunderbolts

The US dance field post-Beijing is shaping up to be really interesting, even with the herd thinning (which was probably inevitable given the long wait to be top three).

Do you think Gilles & Poirier are continuing past 2022? I don't think they will, but if they do there is a good chance they are atleast close with L&L, atleast early in the quad. They are far above them now, and there is a good shot they are still Canadian #1 over them in 2022.

thunderbolts

I don’t expect H/B to stick around so C/P, G/P & maybe Wolfkostin/Chen or the Browns? U.S. dance is getting thinner.

I think Hawayek & Baker would want to stay around and try for U.S #1 for awhile if they are still U.S #3 and make it to 2022. If they aren't then maybe not.

Colonel Green

Do you think Gilles & Poirier are continuing past 2022? I don't think they will, but if they do there is a good chance they are atleast close with L&L, atleast early in the quad. They are far above them now, and there is a good shot they are still Canadian #1 over them in 2022.
Piper has made a few comments that suggest their plan is to wrap things up in 2022, which is what my earlier comment was based on.

Now, there is a scenario where I think they might change that, which is if (as various people have speculated) 2023 Worlds is assigned to Montreal to make up for the lost 2020 Worlds (they did that with Japan back in 2011). In that case, I could see them sticking around another year to take one last run at the World podium.

thunderbolts

Piper has made a few comments that suggest their plan is to wrap things up in 2022, which is what my earlier comment was based on.

Now, there is a scenario where I think they might change that, which is if (as various people have speculated) 2023 Worlds is assigned to Montreal to make up for the lost 2020 Worlds (they did that with Japan back in 2011). In that case, I could see them sticking around another year to take one last run at the World podium.

Yeah 2023 would be the latest they go in that case then, and even then only if worlds goes to Montreal for that year.

In which case Lajoie & Lagha will probably roll once they are gone. And might even challenge/overtake Piper & Gilles before they leave.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
In which case Lajoie & Lagha will probably roll once they are gone. And might even challenge/overtake Piper & Gilles before they leave.

This is my hope, not just L&L v Gilles & Poirier but Danadians included - and it's good for everyone.

When Virtue & Moir stepped away it was considered "Weaver & Poje's time" (2015ish). Even last year's push from Piper & Paul didn't really unseat them domestically or internationally. The upside to two top-7 Canadian teams not competing is it's less crowded both at home and at worlds for the current top-3 teams close enough in talent. I don't think G&P are comfortably Canada's #1 team yet, so they stay pushed by the hungry teams chasing them. It's awesome to see how they each improve, even when all three teams have programs I don't enjoy as much as last year's. :lol: The Danadians haven't lost ground as odd beneficiaries to the cancelling of worlds, so I'm hopeful to see if they can keep closing the gap when skating resumes.

I'm an unabashed V&M fan, but I have to admit it's nice to see what ice dance is like at Canadians without gold already decided.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
This seems a little desperate/too much free time.
I’m not surprised but I really wish it wasn’t Gadbois. Not sure what they’re thinking the next step will be, but whatever it is, they need to do it soon. They’re not super young.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information