The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_DWWOHpEyg/

AND Quinn Carpenter has retired. Lots of news today!
Didn't see that one coming but I also don't follow that team per say. Was it something people had foreseen ? They were up and coming along with the Parsons.

Great move imo they were regressing at Montreal, too crowded and they never got their styling right or even half interesting programs. I have big hope that Carol Lane will shake things up for them.

Dobre

For fun. And featuring many dancers from many musicals.
https://www.facebook.com/playlistby...7/UzpfSTY2MDcyMDUyMToxMDE1ODMyNTIzMjIzNTUyMg/

I know. I posted this April 10th.

Me the week Worlds were cancelled: I really don't want to see a bunch of reused programs.

Me this week: I just hope & pray my favorite teams will be able to keep skating together.

And my favorite currently competing dance team is gone less than ten days later. Sometimes ice dance is so unfair!!! The season before this Lorraine & Quinn defeated the teams that finished 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th at Worlds, and now they are gone. Falling in love with young ice dance teams is so unfair! Though I wish both him and Lorraine the best.:wuzrobbed

litenkyckling

They have updated the technical requirements for next season

• The choreographic elements are back to being a 3 of their own choice, the character steps are no longer mandatory (yay!)
  • They also seem to have highlighted with the character steps that they will be invalidated if they are more than 2 metres from the boards (I don't think the rules were so explicit last year, if I'm remembering correctly)

Dobre

Guignard/Fabbri really know how to milk those Challengers for everything they're worth, because they're still in second place.

Guignard & Fabbri usually do two Challengers while most of the medal contenders only do one. It's no mystery. I give G&F some credit because it means they have to be ready for one of the first events of the season--Lombardia--and it also often means competing an extra event in the middle of the Grand Prix. Plus, they dealt with an injury mid-season this year and did one of their GPs with his hand (or was it his shoulder?) a mess. The decision to compete with the injury I don't particularly think is worth applauding, but it certainly wasn't an easy road for them to earn those points this season.

barbarafan

Our new World Standings!

P/C in seventh place because of those missing Grand Prix and Challenger events (indeed, they're only about 400 points ahead of Fear/Gibson).

Guignard/Fabbri really know how to milk those Challengers for everything they're worth, because they're still in second place.
welllll....they did get a lot of pity marks because for 1 competition he couldn't feel or move his arm so they really watered down the content but they got all level 4's even the step seq.and lovely PCS's. Opinion was...who cares it is only a small competition and doesn't count but we can really see here it does count.

VGThuy

welllll....they did get a lot of pity marks because for 1 competition he couldn't feel or move his arm so they really watered down the content but they got all level 4's even the step seq.and lovely PCS's. Opinion was...who cares it is only a small competition and doesn't count but we can really see here it does count.

What competition was that? It wasn't Lombardia where they got level 2s and 3s. They were ahead of FB/S by some way in TES despite that so FB/S should work on themselves. Same with Golden Spin. Anyway, G/F tend to achieve high levels consistently so it's not like it was unusual. That was a big reason why they were so successful last season despite not having the reputation the other teams who had issues achieving levels had. At GP France, they had the highest base levels by some way in the FD and that was with P/C and C/B. Their levels in the RD and at NHK were on par with the top. Euros was when they didn't garner the same levels they received in the GP, but they tend to achieve levels more often than not.

RoseRed

What competition was that? It wasn't Lombardia where they got level 2s and 3s. They were ahead of FB/S by some way in TES despite that so FB/S should work on themselves. Same with Golden Spin. Anyway, G/F tend to achieve high levels consistently so it's not like it was unusual. That was a big reason why they were so successful last season despite not having the reputation the other teams who had issues achieving levels had. At GP France, they had the highest base levels by some way in the FD and that was with P/C and C/B. Their levels in the RD and at NHK were on par with the top. Euros was when they didn't garner the same levels they received in the GP, but they tend to achieve levels more often than not.
They weren't injured at Lombardia, so not that event. I would think IdF, since that was where he had the brace on his hand IIRC. The point, I guess, is that some people felt that they didn't skate as well and were visibly affected by the injury, but still got the marks/levels. I haven't gone back and watched so I have no opinion on whether what they got there was deserved or not.

Regardless, they were way ahead of the 4th place team at that event (~15 points), so even if the score was a bit high, it wouldn't have changed the placement and therefore the WS. And even if someone does think they should have been behind S/D at that event, that would only move them down one spot in the WS probably. So outrage about it now is weird.

heartyxo

These world standing are.. :confused:

But yeah, it’s definitely compete more = gain more. P/C in 7th :D but I suppose that’s last years injury and also not doing challengers.

C/B being 5th is quite impressive by these standards since they missed the challenger series for 2 years (although they did 2 challengers this year) and the grand prix for 1 because of the ankle.

The ones based on this season alone make sense though.

Dobre

Ice-dance.com is doing another ice dance trivia night on Tues Apr 21! You can sign up here:

I recommend it—their first dance trivia night, a couple weeks ago, was fun (and well-organized too).

Thank you for the heads-up, claire. My mother & I played. We were not brilliant, but we did have fun & are patting ourselves on the back for knowing Drobiazko & Vanagas, Nazarova & Nikitin, and Cannuscio & McManus. I think I have never seen that program by Gilles & Poirier, though actually we were thinking they might have that weird pose, after we hit submit. And we did get every Weaver & Poje-related question correct. (All three. LOL). Plus, of course, Grishuk & Platov. My team:biggrinbo. We bombed on Hawayek & Baker--just never got around to brainstorming who were the lower down U.S. teams at SA that year. And we utterly failed any question related to Zlobina & Sitnikov.

clairecloutier

Thank you for the heads-up, claire. My mother & I played. We were not brilliant, but we did have fun & are patting ourselves on the back for knowing Drobiazko & Vanagas, Nazarova & Nikitin, and Cannuscio & McManus. I think I have never seen that program by Gilles & Poirier, though actually we were thinking they might have that weird pose, after we hit submit. And we did get every Weaver & Poje-related question correct. (All three. LOL). Plus, of course, Grishuk & Platov. My team:biggrinbo. We bombed on Hawayek & Baker--just never got around to brainstorm who where the lower down U.S. teams at SA that year. And we utterly failed any question related to Zlobina & Sitnikov.

Ha-ha! I think I also got all the W/P questions right! (And the Zlobina questions wrong.) LOL.

I’m bummed that I missed the Hawayek/Baker SA 2015 question because I actually attended that event, so I feel like I should have thought of them. I remembered Wang/Liu and Sinitsina/Katsalapov and even Yanovskaya/Mozgov from that competition, but forgot H/B. 🥴

ostile17

Ka3sha

Some recent news:

- Anastasia Shpilevaya/Grigory Smirnov switched from Svinin/Zhuk to Denis Samokhin. Samokhin now coaches Kazakova/Reviya, Khudaberdieva/Buzin and S/S.

- Sara Hurtado/Kirill Khaliavin are keeping both of their programs for the next season.

- Jordan Cowan has a live stream with Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue. They were asked if they are going to keep their RD, they didn’t want to give all the details yet, but Madi hinted that are keeping the rhythms (quickstep, slaw swing) and that she is going to have a dress with looots of rhinestones :)

Sylvia

TBD
Spain's Sofia Val (age 15) and Linus Colmor Jepsen (age 19, born in Denmark) have split and she hopes to find a new partner: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBYW9AZCdY5/
They competed 2 junior international seasons together: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00107024.htm

Copying over from the Scandinavian news thread in GSD...

Norway has a new senior ice dance team, Maria Bjørkli & James Koszuta (previously competed on JGP for USA), who are cleared now to compete internationally: https://www.facebook.com/Norges.Skoyteforbund/posts/3565650403467518
They are based in Buffalo, NY - link to their joint IG account: https://www.instagram.com/bjorkli_koszuta_icedancers/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information