The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Just made it through the Warsaw FD.

A few thoughts:

-I really like this Tron FD for Lopareva & Brissaud. Think they have come a long way in developing as a team since last season, and the slow motion unison & control in this FD really shows that off. They had a problem with the transition on the dance spin; but otherwise, very nice. (A shame the RD is Too Darn Hot).

-Harris & Chan bring in the minimum TES in both the RD and FD in their first time out. I'm sure this could be disheartening for the other Australian teams, but in reality we've no idea whether Chan can get citizenship & it could actually be good for the other Australian teams to have H&C scoring competitively. Anyway, some potential there though still it's going to be a tough fight to earn an Olympic spot.

-Fabbri & Ayer also get their minimum TES. I was surprised they weren't sent to Autumn Classic, but I do think it is wise for countries to send these borderline teams to the late CS events. Teams are much more confident with the elements at this stage in the season, and the scores . . .

Well, one can't help feeling like the teams on the GP are fighting for every point they can get, while the judges are just throwing them out on the CS. (I mean, one can see why. If you sat through 11 teams scoring below Plutowska & Flemin, you too might be drawn toward positivity for the final flight). I know in some ways this is an illusion (it's not like the Rostelecom field was selected for its depth); but still . . . I think you want your borderline teams (which for Russia apparently means a good 7 teams) in these late CS fields if you want the best crack at a top 24 score.

Oh, I also wanted to add that the Warsaw Cup seems to have such a nice crowd for a Challenger dance event. I thought so a couple years ago and again this year.

Last edited:

ostile17

Thank you @barbarafan! I've been scrounging around for whatever is posted and hasn't disappeared yet. It is still a very frustrating experience. I will have to buy a pass of some sort in the end but some posters have been unhappy with the quality of the streaming ...

If you go to this channel, they have the whole comps up pretty quickly!

C

casken

So Green/Parsons dropped the ending where she stabs herself in the gut. :drama:

I like that FD though. It builds nicely. I just wish the lifts were less gangley.

Orm Irian

I'm sure this could be disheartening for the other Australian teams, but in reality we've no idea whether Chan can get citizenship & it could actually be good for the other Australian teams to have H&C scoring competitively.

Friend/Badaoui were only two points off the Worlds SP TES minimum at Asian Open; they'll have them as soon as they can get a level on the pattern. I doubt they need these newbies as pacesetters when their own goals are already in sight.

firstflight

I cannot take my eyes off Jeremie Flemin (POL). Charisma for days and I actually enjoyed their FD, even if several bits of choreography and the slide move are quite uhm reminiscent :)

Dobre

Friend/Badaoui were only two points off the Worlds SP TES minimum at Asian Open; they'll have them as soon as they can get a level on the pattern. I doubt they need these newbies as pacesetters when their own goals are already in sight.

Friend & Badaoui are in a good position for themselves this season. Their SB score right now is higher than the one Kerry & Dodds just earned coming back from injury. (I'm sure F&B didn't need K&D forming right before the Olympics in Korea either). F&B have obviously worked hard. When I first saw them, they were at the very bottom of the JGP, and now there are 50 some teams ranked below them on the SB list. There is nothing stopping F&B from getting strong enough to earn that spot at Worlds. Sometimes--as happened with Punsalun & Swallow and Roca & Sur--competition even makes you better. But you can't control your competition except by being strong enough to earn the spot. Where there is an opening in dance, it is always very likely that someone will fill it.

My comment above, of course, was in reference to trying to qualify for an Olympic berth in the dance event. We are two years out so you start to see the picture & of course there will be shifting. I just put together this list with reference to the young team from Japan. Here is a version relative to Australia.

Per the SB list, we have . . .
3 US, RUS, CAN
2 FRA, ITA (I think. Or does ITA lose it's second berth based on T&F's result?)
1 GBR (on the bubble, potential for 2)
1 SPAIN (on the bubble, potential for 2)
1 CHN (haven't been on the bubble but could be if they can build off of the homefield score at COC, potential for 2)
1 POL (on the bubble, potential for 2)
1 LTU? (Depends on her getting citizenship or another team earning minimum scores. The second team seems to have disappeared this season).
1 UKR
1 GEO (I'm going to assume that citizenship is reachable if not already obtained?)
1 GER
1 FIN (Bit of a question mark due to injury/citizenship but two teams so we'll say odds are decent)
1 KOR (Citizenship questionable?)
1 BLR
1 CZE
1 ARM
Harris & Chan
1 JPN (Citizenship questionable? The next Japanese team with citizenship is below between Turkey & Hungary)
1 EST
1 SUI (Citizenship questionable?)
1 TUR (Citizenship questionable?)
1 HUN
Friend & Badoui

I think those Ice Star scores were inflated but still those teams have defeated F&B. So if I didn't miss anyone and if the Olympic qualifier were being held today, which of course it is not, and if everyone scored their absolute best from this season thus far--which isn't too likely to happen under the pressure of qualifying for an Olympic berth, Harris & Chan's score would put them 27th with some question marks above them.

Top 24 qualify.

In any case, Australia has three potential dance spots at 4CCs, and it's exciting that they have three teams that could fill them. I am glad to see these young teams form. It has been good to see Friend & Badoui striving to improve and earning their way back to 4CCs, and it is good to see Holly Harris able to continue in skating. I think she suits dance. Perhaps this will not be the season. I know that international partnerships come with all kinds of challenges; but after such a major injury, still it is nice to see her skating.

Last edited:
C

casken

10 of the 16 teams at Warsaw Cup had at least one judge give them a "music requirement violation". Seems to be a thing this year at the B events?

Hertenstein/Binkowski actually got the deduction as 4 judges plus the referee took the deduction and that made a majority, despite the fact that they didn't get the deduction at Nepela for the same FD, and as far as I can remember, it's the same Bocelli music S&K used a few years back with no problem?

Dobre

10 of the 16 teams at Warsaw Cup had at least one judge give them a "music requirement violation". Seems to be a thing this year at the B events?

Hertenstein/Binkowski actually got the deduction as 4 judges plus the referee took the deduction and that made a majority, despite the fact that they didn't get the deduction at Nepela for the same FD, and as far as I can remember, it's the same Bocelli music S&K used a few years back with no problem?

The music rules changed after 2016 so teams that have been using old music do have to be careful about making sure the tempo change between the two step sequences is different enough. I don't know if that is why H&B were deducted, but I imagine it was the reason the Parsons had to modify To Build a Home after Lake Placid last season.

C

casken

The music rules changed after 2016 so teams that have been using old music do have to be careful about making sure the tempo change between the two step sequences is different enough. I don't know if that is why H&B were deducted, but I imagine it was the reason the Parsons had to modify To Build a Home after Lake Placid last season.

Is the one foot sequence considered the other step sequence now?

In their FD, Stepanova and Bukin do the one foot sequence and the closed hold sequence right after each other to the same rhythm though and that isn't a problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

aftershocks

Banned Member
I came across another music idea for the Broadway musical theme. Too bad I didn't get a chance to make suggestions ahead of the season in the RD idea thread.

It's an old Broadway musical, Of Thee I Sing (1932), but it would've worked for some teams. It's Gershwin, i.e., music by George Gershwin, lyrics by Ira Gershwin. Balanchine borrowed some of the music for his ballet, Who Cares?

Dobre

Is the one foot sequence considered the other step sequence now?

In their FD, Stepanova and Bukin do the one foot sequence and the closed hold sequence right after each other to the same rhythm though and that isn't a problem?

It's possible the rules have changed again? That is just how I remember the required tempo change rule being explained last season. I'm pretty sure Tanith herself said that they were trying to encourage teams to do more than just slow footwork sequences. But I don't see the step sequences mentioned when I look at the FD music rules in the updated handbook. (Mind you, I only looked at one section about the FD rules).

Here is the list of music rules for the FD that I find in the handbook that was published this past June:
(The comments in the parenthesis are added by me).

• Music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colorful, entertaining dance program with different dance moods or a building effect
    [*]Music must have at least one obvious change of tempo/rhythm and expression. This change may be gradual or immediate, but in either case it must be obvious.
    (This is the one I remember teams getting dinged on last season. Either for not having a tempo change or not having whatever was considered an obvious enough change).
  • Music must be suitable for the Couple's skating skills and technical ability. (Whatever that means?)
  • Music for Free Dance may be vocal and must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline. (Again, your guess is as good as mine for what that means?)
  • Music must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not melody alone, and may be vocal.
  • Music may be without audible rhythmic beat up to 10 seconds at beginning or end of program - Music may be without audible rhythmic beat up to 10 seconds during the program

C

casken

Well, Morozov and Bagin skated the FD they got a music violation deduction at Minsk again at the Russia Cup event, but it sounds like they added more of a heavy beat, some crescendos, and some extra violins starting at the choreographic character sequence. To me it sounds way too busy and kind of almost drowns out the underlying music at times, but I guess it's more legal now? I definitely liked it more at Minsk though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Debbie S

I think the only requirement for a tempo change is that there is one, not specifically for each step sequence. I thought Tanith's comment about the variety in footwork sequences was about the choreo/character step sequences, but I could be wrong.

Music for Free Dance may be vocal and must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline. (Again, your guess is as good as mine for what that means?)
No gunshots?

Dobre

Aren't there like 3 Bonnie & Clyde rhythm dances?

At least 4: Galiyanova & Lochhead, Shanaeva & Narizhnyy, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorensen, & Skoptcova & Aleshin.

I still like Galiyanova & Lochhead's the best, maybe because it was the first one I saw but also because I like the instrumental character section in the 2nd half.

Dobre

According to a poster on GS, it is to Grease (no link to a source posted). Guignard & Fabbri did Grease back in 2016-17 so modifying their program, I guess? (My mother will be happy because she loves that program. I feel like I've seen it enough as they used it as an exhibition after using it in the RD, but the new RD felt too much like La La Land so at least someone will love this one. Grease will be more familiar to the audience, though also if G&F decide to use it for Worlds, they may not be the first ones to skate it. TBD).

In the race for the most popular Broadway hit of the year . . .
(Per Doris's ice dance list on GS)

7 42nd Streets
6 Singing in the Rains
5 Cabarets (3 + 2 halves technically)
4 Bonnie & Clydes
4 Too Darn Hots (I'm pretty sure I've seen a junior one also, but I can't name the team so I will bow to Doris's list with the 4 senior teams)
4 Grease (There are 5 listed, but one team split before skating it as far as I know).
4 Chicagos (Doris doesn't have Ushakova & Nekrasov's listed yet, but I counted it).
4 Sweet Charities/Big Spenders (Technically 3 + 1 half).
3 La La Lands

Last edited:

Cayuse

7 42nd Streets
6 Singing in the Rains
5 Cabarets (3 + 2 halves technically)
4 Bonnie & Clydes
4 Too Darn Hots (I'm pretty sure I've seen a junior one also, but I can't name the team so I will bow to Doris's list with the 4 senior teams)
4 Grease (There are 5 listed, but one team split before skating it as far as I know).
4 Chicagos (Doris doesn't have Ushakova & Nekrasov's listed yet, but I counted it).
4 Sweet Charities/Big Spenders (Technically 3 + 1 half).
3 La La Lands
All we need is a Partridge in a Pear Tree! :D

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Doesn't there need to be a quickstep in there? :confused:

Couldn't they do it to "We go Together"?

Weird choice to do Grease imo since I think Smart/Diaz are doing a good Grease RD and the inclusion of "Hopelessly Devoted.." makes me think we are going to get another brunette Sandy. Wish we'd get a bit of Rizzo from these other gals as I think Olivia does a great Sandy.

Bigbird

Kurt Browning just spoilt me as I can't by into Sinkats SITR. It just lacks the ease and personality for the genre of music. Something, but I'd love to be given links to the other RDs for SITR because I do like the music.

nimi

Doesn't there need to be a quickstep in there? :confused:
They do have rock & swing pieces listed in their music selection info. Swing is explicitly mentioned in the ISU Comm #2239 and IIRC it's been clarified that rock'n'roll counts as a Swing Rhythm too.
Senior: The Pattern Dance Element, Finnstep, must be skated to the Quickstep, Charleston or Swing Rhythm, in the style of the chosen rhythm. The Tempo of the music throughout the Pattern Dance Element must be constant and in accordance with the required Tempo: 52 two-beat measures per minute, 104 beats per minute +/- 2 beats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information