The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orm Irian

What's with Egyptian themed programs this year? Not in dance but in singles as well... I'm going to get tired of those quickly

As always, where Laurine leads, others follow! I'm seeing more Beth Hart out there than in recent years now too. :lol:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
C/B's RD is a great vehicle for them. The second half really brings out the fun out of Evan. He's more alive since they moved to Montreal bringing back a more balanced presentation when it was all about Madison before. It's a light, fun and fizzy program like a glass of champagne. Plus they were really light and sharp on the pattern, the best so far. Better than S/K tbh.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

RD Music: “My Heart Belongs to Daddy” by Marilyn Monroe and “Let’s Be Bad” by Megan Hilty and Smash Cast
FD Music: “Alibi” by Bradley Cooper and “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

Well, more Laurine flashbacks then ;)

Dobre

I had conveniently forgotten all about the Marilyn aspect of Smash. Pasha, I love you; but if this is happening, I blame that stupid Olympic puff piece of yours.

OK, I am calm now and am going back to being positive about all things ice dance today.

Colonel Green

Kazakova/Reviya should comfortably take the gold in Croatia next week, but the rest of the field is extremely deep in terms of jockeying for podium spots.

For starters, you have three bronze medalists from previous events: Tascherlova/Taschler, from Lake Placid; Tyutyunina/Shustitskiy, from Riga; and Bashynska/Beaumont, from Chelyabinsk.

Then there's Bronsard/Bouaraguia, who were fourth in Courchevel despite two programs with a number of errors, so clearly their scoring upside is considerable (plus Gadbois cachet).

And Golubtsova/Belobrov, who had pretty much a disaster RD in Riga before rallying with a much more competitive FD score.

And also DelCamp/Somerville, very belatedly appearing on the JGP, though just-formed teams are a true wildcard.

Bigbird

Does Zhulin have any scruples at all? How many P/C lifts are they going to steal? How many I/K lifts are they going to do poorly before he has an original thought? Just venting, no need for a response, good grief!!

Bigbird

Didn't you say you liked their program after the Russian test skates?

Yes, and the RD as well. However, they perform the FD sloppily, add even more P/C bits. Then the RD falls flat with poor costumes. It's strange considering how much practicing and ice time they have. I actually thought I would like them more here.

Orm Irian

Considering that she used it the year after Hubbell and Donohue's very well received Beth Hart FD, don't think she gets credit for that one.

I missed that one! Wasn't paying much attention to them at the time. They can all three share credit. :lol:

Dobre

Madison is the snake in their FD.

Yeah, I thought so. Is he the eunuch? (I love you, Evan. But really, he's obviously not the love interest. And he hasn't a single highlight in the FD. I'm trying to recall if there is an element of "snake charmer" within the portrayal but I'm drawing a blank). It has been a very long day, and I'm finding this program just :rofl:.

You know what? I am going to give this program a chance. I've been saying for years that they should try humor, and the whole idea that they would skate a program that I am doomed to think of as The Snake & Her Eunuch is absolutely hilarious. Best wishes to them with it.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It does seem like Evan's not featured as much in this FD as he was in last year's. I really miss that program. It was so light and fluffy and fun, and suited both of them really well.

shan

Yeah, I thought so. Is he the eunuch? (I love you, Evan. But really, he's obviously not the love interest. And he hasn't a single highlight in the FD. I'm trying to recall if there is an element of "snake charmer" within the portrayal but I'm drawing a blank). It has been a very long day, and I'm finding this program just :rofl:.

You know what? I am going to give this program a chance. I've been saying for years that they should try humor, and the whole idea that they would skate a program that I am doomed to think of as The Snake & Her Eunuch is absolutely hilarious. Best wishes to them with it.

Some of the movements in the FD did look like he could be a snake charmer. I'm going to have go back and rewatch. I like the FD so far, it's a nice departure for them!

You did have quite the dance marathon, Dobre!!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

The start of the program shows Evan as the charmer.

I don't think the program is supposed to be humorous. I think it looks sophisticated with some really unique moments, and I love that they can be versatile and look great doing this style.

cocotaffy

Come on what the heck is S/K's FD :sleep: This has to be one of the most boring program to have hit us since 2014. I mean no change in rhythm whatsoever, the music is so bland, if you gonna pick Einaudi and Dvorak, you can find better. The choreography is totally recycled especially that last lift looking way too much like P/C's Moonlight last lift. Anyway, their RD isn't bad but with this set of programs they better watch out for Chock and Bates because what they have to offer is much more entertaining in the RD and way more intriguing in the FD. I'm not sold on the Egyptian theme yet (especially all the hand gestures) but it is original, a departure for them and by the end of the season could really work. One big minus is Evan going back in the background. He looks totally out of place and out of his element here. They gonna have to find him a way to shine like they did in the RD, starting with the costume. They should go for something more striking like gold or sleeveless a la Cizeron. Come on Evan, let it loose and go for it. Still I can't wait to witness C/B shaking things up on the GP. H/D have to be on their best behavior this year, none of this out of axis rotational lift combo thingy. Their RD and FD music though aren't making me very hopeful, it has cheesy written all over it.

But never forget the basic rules of a devoted figure skating fan:
First rule: don't judge before seeing the programs
Second rule: don't judge during the early stages
Third rule: don't judge till the program evolves to its fullest form that is at Worlds when the season is over anyway
Last rule: forego all the previous rules and judge anyway :EVILLE:

Last edited:

Ka3sha

I can’t understand why Zhulin/SinKats don’t invite choreographers from the side to help them with their Free Dances.
Bobrova/Soloviev worked with Radu Poklitaru before Olympics, and Sara/Kirill usually work on the side with off-ice choreographers and later Zhulin and Petukhov transfer this choreo on to the ice. Even SinKats themselves worked on last year tango with professional ballroom dancers.

Speaking of Sara/Kirill , I absolutely loved their FD and overall they seem to go for a more mature style this year. Also, looks like Zhulin changed their twizzles a little bit this year - now they start their series with clockwise section (on which Sara always had problems in the past).

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Yes H/K are doing great, very intriguing FD, mature, sophisticated yet not going down the lyrical road. I've always preferred them to the other Spanish team which is frankly weaker on the SS. If Sara can master the twizzle syndrome, they should shoot right ahead of S/D. Kirill needs to get out of his shell a bit more though and they need to work on strengthening his connection with Sara. Bringing more intensity.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

Yes H/K are doing great, very intriguing FD, mature, sophisticated yet not going down the lyrical road. I've always preferred them to the other Spanish team which is frankly weaker on the SS. If Sara can master the twizzle syndrome, they should shoot right ahead of S/D. Kirill needs to get out of his shell a bit more though and they need to work on strengthening their connection with Sara. Bringing more intensity.

Absolutely! He is not quite there. She shines in this FD. One regret on my side: I wished this (deconstructed) Flamenco had a bit more variations in intensity. I kept waiting for a surge of some kind. It is a bit too "linear" in intensity for a Flamenco.

Cayuse

Some of the movements in the FD did look like he could be a snake charmer. I'm going to have go back and rewatch. I like the FD so far, it's a nice departure for them!
I rewatched also. To help the snake charmer interpretation along, Evan needs a turban! She makes a great snake snake slithering all over, under and around him!

C

casken

What happened to McNamara and Carpenter? I was never a fan, but last year they had one of the most thoughtful, meticulously choreographed FDs. Easily the best choreographed American FD, and of the best of the season overall, IMO.

But this year, it was like someone just mashed the most generic things from a Shpilband FD and a Dubreuil FD together and called it a day. It's not as downright hard to watch as Ponomarenko and partner's so called "Flamenco", but still, what a letdown.

lurkz2

What happened to McNamara and Carpenter? I was never a fan, but last year they had one of the most thoughtful, meticulously choreographed FDs. Easily the best choreographed American FD, and of the best of the season overall, IMO.

But this year, it was like someone just mashed the most generic things from a Shpilband FD and a Dubreuil FD together and called it a day. It's not as downright hard to watch as Ponomarenko and partner's so called "Flamenco", but still, what a letdown.
Upon first view (some weeks back) McNamara and Carpenter had interesting programs whereas CPom seemed to be trying too hard to look older, like little kids playing dress up. Oddly, this wkend, I found McNamara and Carpenter boring whereas CPom seemed to have really developed their program and seemed more mature compared to last season. Hopefully McNamara and Carpenter will develop the program as the season progresses.

shan

I love them and don't love the FD, yet. I will say that it has improved since its debut at Lake Placid. Hopefully, it will continue to evolve. In the future, I would love to see a character driven piece from them.

Dobre

I want to share my thoughts on McNamara & Carpenter's material this season, etc.; but I think I need time to rewatch the newer versions. I think they've worked very hard on fleshing out the FD since July and at this stage, they probably need to hone in on the footwork and pattern--which they are fully capable of doing.

Dobre

I am just noticing that Guignard & Fabbri are scheduled to go up against Sinitsina & Katsalapov at the Shanghai Trophy. Oct. 3-5.

If it happens, I believe it would be the first head-to-head this season between two top 8 teams. Two teams which, despite being far apart at Worlds, actually split results last season and also split dances at both the GPF and Europeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information