The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcash

I've been thinking the problem for me not appreciating this dance is that I haven't seen the movie. I think it's problematic if this dance assumes people have all seen the movie in order to appreciate / figure out what H/D are trying to say with it....

I didn’t see the movie, but I thought it was a huge enough success that people who never saw it in theaters would generally be aware of the contour of and emotions in the story (It’s a 4th remake of the same story after all), plus the outsized celebrityhood of Gaga (and to a lesser extent, Cooper, with their well-received live Oscar performance etc, etc) really kind of pushed it into the pop culture consciousness, I assumed.

Now in reality, dance performances, in so far as they purport to convey a narrative or portray specific character journeys, are almost destined to fail without some pre-knowledge of the story and characters on the part of the audience. Dance can communicate many things but complex plot points is not one of them. (Hence Balanchine’s “there is no mother-in-laws in ballet” quote.) Skaters more often than not are also referencing this type of knowledge in building their programs, be it Chaplin or Moulin Rouge.

I am not saying that H/D’s FD requires a knowledge of the story to be appreciated, and I’d like to think it does not. But because I was aware of the general outline of the story, I did not see it with a completely clean slate of mind. In trying to imagine the perspective of someone who does not know at all what A Star Is Born is about, I can see that the music arrangement of H/D’s program could use a bit more finesse and clarity. But I still feel that with your usual figure skating fan’s eyeglasses on, one can see this is a pretty powerful program that conveyed some earthy passions and with distinct flourishes that fitted the music.

Last edited:

oleada

IDK if it's me becoming an uber, but if Guignard/Fabbri represented one of the bigger federations, they'd have so much higher PCS. I don't see any reason why their PCS is behind Chock/Bates. Yeah, he had a twizzle error, but they're technically and artistically so much better.

GreenGan

I think that except the polish, and the spanish and the russian placement, it was a well-judged event. If Mario did't mess his second set of twizzles, the italian would have been second.

Soucisse/Firus were very enjoyable live ! The beginning of S/D's RD felt great, I was impress and then it began to feel more and more flat. The coverage of ice Z/G get when they twizzle is huge !!

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
IDK if it's me becoming an uber, but if Guignard/Fabbri represented one of the bigger federations, they'd have so much higher PCS. I don't see any reason why their PCS is behind Chock/Bates. Yeah, he had a twizzle error, but they're technically and artistically so much better.
Couldn't agree more. C/B were not on today, technically at least. OTOH the Italians, twizzles excluded, were amazing. They got better levels than P/C ! They should have been second imo. I can't wait for their FD tomorrow.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
C

casken

What happened to Fabbri's hand? It's amazing they did as well as they did considering it looked like he couldn't even bend it.

Debbie S

What happened to Fabbri's hand? It's amazing they did as well as they did considering it looked like he couldn't even bend it.
Looked like a splint. When I first saw it, I thought it was supposed to be part of his costume and I was very puzzled. Possibly a sprain?

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Looked like a splint. When I first saw it, I thought it was supposed to be part of his costume and I was very puzzled. Possibly a sprain?
Marco cut a tendon in has hand and is in a splint from his elbow to fingers. Both programs had to be adapted as he has no strength in that arm. Everyone is in awe of how he managed to skate like this, he is incredible and she too for having to manage without his supporting hand! Marco 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻Respect ✊

barbarafan

I started to like G/F more and more too. Technically quite precise with a lot of easy speed. Their performance is really engaging without manufactured drama.
I enjoyed them...but do you think they deserved a level 4 for their midline step sequence? almost no one gets level 4's and a lot I really loved got level 3 or even level 2..not just at this competition but others as well. Also what is wrong with his (wrist?) That was almost a cast he has on.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Hey, someone posted a while ago (I think in one of the PBP threads for Skate America actually) that there is an ice dance team skating to songs from a musical Jeremy Jordan was in, I can't remember what team it was though and because it was a couple of weeks back I'm having a hell of a time finding the post and I've checked so many ISU bios for peoples music and I haven't been able to find the team yet, does anyone remember what team it is so I can find their RD? I have some friends who are Jeremy Jordan obsessives (Broadway and Supergirl fans) that want to see it. Any help is much appreciated, thank you :)

Colonel Green

Hey, someone posted a while ago (I think in one of the PBP threads for Skate America actually) that there is an ice dance team skating to songs from a musical Jeremy Jordan was in, I can't remember what team it was though and because it was a couple of weeks back I'm having a hell of a time finding the post and I've checked so many ISU bios for peoples music and I haven't been able to find the team yet, does anyone remember what team it is so I can find their RD? I have some friends who are Jeremy Jordan obsessives (Broadway and Supergirl fans) that want to see it. Any help is much appreciated, thank you :)
You're most likely thinking of Bonnie & Clyde. There are several different Bonnie & Clyde RDs this season -- if it was in a Skate America PBP, then you'd be thinking of Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Sorensen. Your friends may or may not have access to the ISU stream, in any case, here's an earlier version from Lombardia Trophy:

The Skate America version is here, if they can access that (obviously it has higher image/camera quality).

There are also a few junior RDs to Bonnie & Clyde, such as this one from Elizaveta Shanaeva & Devid Naryzhnyy that also uses Jordan's vocals.

Dobre

The door was open, and Guignard & Fabbri mucked up. But they lived to fight another day, and I love their FD. (I want to see them take a great crack at the Final, but not for a weak performance. Oh, the :drama: of being an ice dance fan!) OMG about Marco's arm. I never even noticed!

My mother nominates Kaliszek & Spodyriev for Voiceover of the Year:

"No longer are we making shoes. We are making 2 1/2 feet of tubular, irresistible sex."

(You know, in case anyone misses the point that the boots & the music could possibly be interpreted as a metaphor for sex?)

Jay42

Between the click of the light
You're most likely thinking of Bonnie & Clyde. There are several different Bonnie & Clyde RDs this season -- if it was in a Skate America PBP, then you'd be thinking of Laurence Fournier Beaudry & Nikolaj Sorensen. Your friends may or may not have access to the ISU stream, in any case, here's an earlier version from Lombardia Trophy:

The Skate America version is here, if they can access that (obviously it has higher image/camera quality).

There are also a few junior RDs to Bonnie & Clyde, such as this one from Elizaveta Shanaeva & Devid Naryzhnyy that also uses Jordan's vocals.

H&D are skating to Smash, which Jeremy Jordan was in.
Thank you kindly, everyone

firstflight

So S/D have notched a 191 and 188 in their 2 Grand Prix events. They lost about 8 points in the TES after review today but still managed a 112 in the FD. H/K only scored 180.6 in Skate Canada with, as someone pointed out, the lowest base level of any team in the FD. Interesting season....

bcash

Only caught a good look at C/B's FD on the stream. At their first two outings I thought the program looked precise and fully ironed out but lacked in speed and dynamism. This time it looked to be a lot more dramatically exciting, both physical drama and atmospheric. came together really well with the musical beats. Evan Bates's presence really grew since they moved to Montreal, and even looks more attractive...

mollymgr

After seeing this seasons senior programs, I have to say Montreal's programs are hit or miss. Some programs are just amazing and others are totally :yawn:. There is definitely a variety and one can't say that all their teams are looking alike. I think they are definitely making sure that they are all unique. It will be interesting to see which ones will be successful at Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information