The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
That's super disappointing.
On the other hand, it opens up more the battle for the final 3 spots. We have already in the run G/P, S/K, but now the chances are looking good for Z/G and whoever of the other teams steps it up here at NHK. H/B, depending on their post-injury/new coaching team status could make a run for it.
The battle for gold at GPF could be a H/D vs S/B, based on the scores received until now.

Debrah

Ridiculously uneven GP events this season where just 1 WD or unexpected miscue/injury likely results in even more of a wildly crazy point standing situation that in turn sets-up the entries for GPF that will not properly reflect how things potentially will shake out by worlds...

Sylvia

TBD
ISU SB total scores to date: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2018-19/sbtsdto.htm

NHK Trophy competitors:
7 181.38 Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS ISU GP Skate America 2018
8 180.95 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2018
14 172.27 Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS CAN ISU CS Finlandia Trophy Espoo 2018
16 170.70 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR ISU GP Skate America 2018
20 165.88 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2018
31 156.16 Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN UKR ISU GP Skate America 2018
32 154.75 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN ISU CS Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy 2018
43 147.99 Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN RUS ISU GP Skate Canada International 2018

NHK will be the first competition of the season for Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA and the first GP of the season for the Parsons.

GPF dance qualification standings before #4 NHK Trophy: http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2018/gpsdance.htm
1 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 15 (200.82) 15 30 (401.58) - Skate America & Canada
2 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI ITA 13 13 (196.29) 26 (388.59) - Skate America & Helsinki
---
Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 15 (200.09) - next: Rostelecom Cup
Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 13 (195.17) - next: Internationaux de France
Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN 11 (186.97) - next: Internationaux de France
Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS 11 (181.38) - Next: NHK Trophy
Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC FRA 9 (180.32) - next: Internationaux de France
Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN ESP 9 (172.09) - next: Rostelecom Cup
---
Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA 9 (180.57) 11 20 (357.23) - Skate America & Helsinki

Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA are scheduled for Internationaux de France as their one GP.
Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES are scheduled for Rostelecom Cup as their one GP.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Too bad.I guess that means G&P also have a better chance to make the final now?
Unless they also withdraw from IdF, which at present they aren’t expected to, it doesn’t affect Gilles/Poirier either way. It still comes down to getting silver at IdF.

This is a gift to Zahorski/Guerreiro and Hawayek/Baker, who could both make the Final if G/P don’t get silver, as opposed to only one of the two.

starrynight

This season the fields in the resp. Grand Prix are quite uneven :(

I KNOW

A lot of this happened though because teams not necessarily viewed as threats by last season's rankings have made big advances over the off season and are a lot more of a threat. Poor Gilles/Poirier found themselves at both of the toughest events.

It's a shame that injury means that Chock/Bates only do one GP event.

Will Papdadakis/Cizeron do IdF though?

It's a bit of a non-event GP series this year. But at least a good opportunity for teams to get some exposure and pick up some prize money.

The second half of this season will probably be a totally different equation.

Dobre

It's actually fairly common for a dance team to get into the GPF because of a withdrawal and/or a deep field elsewhere due to the return of an injured or "taking a break" non-seeded team. We've been quite blessed over the last couple seasons that all of the teams to make the Final have been competitive for the top six, albeit not the only ones competitive for the top six.

Poor Gilles/Poirier found themselves at both of the toughest events.

As did Sinitsina & Katsalapov (and Smart & Diaz). The interesting thing, though, is that G&P didn't just "find" themselves at those two events. Canada invited Sinitsina & Katsalapov. (And the fields with S&K were likely to be deeper because S&K weren't seeded). I wonder if Canada was last in the draw.

Anyway, it is what it is. Neither S&K nor G&P are out of this yet. And no one from NHK has earned a spot yet either. They'll all have to compete with the knowledge of what's on the line, which is an opportunity none of these teams at NHK have ever had before.

supergirl573

As did Sinitsina & Katsalapov (and Smart & Diaz). The interesting thing, though, is that G&P didn't just "find" themselves at those two events. Canada invited Sinitsina & Katsalapov. (And the fields with S&K were likely to be deeper because S&K weren't seeded). I wonder if Canada was last in the draw
That’s dumb considering what happened at 2015 Skate America.

Ka3sha

Crossposting from From Russia With Love thread:
http://www.insideskating.net/2018/1...ew-life-with-the-same-old-passion-for-skating

Interview with Elena Ilinykh - there's a lot about her academy project with Lipnitskaya & Miroshkin and thoughts on her future involvement with skating.
Big interview with Elena, here are her thoughts on currently competing teams
- And who else…?
- I really like Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier, because they’re really innovative, and I love to see their programs, their costumes, and how they’re doing their things, always interesting, and sometimes I’m just like: “Wow, great job, guys!”

And I really love the relationship, the power of Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue. I love how they skate, I really love it! And in the Olympics I was like: “What are you doing?!!!”, because they were giving so much, so much!, and they weren’t controlling it… but for me, I don’t care about the mistakes, I was like: Yeee!

And, as I said, I’m cheering for Victoria and Nikita, because I think they have the Russian school of skating, they have a soul, and their skating skills are great. So if they’re gonna make it through their mistakes, I think they’re gonna be on the podium soon.

And I want to talk about Gabriella and Guillaume separately. Because such apparent lightness in their skating is the result of great work.

And it wasn’t a shock for me, because for three years already I was kind of into them, and I am also in love with them – and I think in the Grand Prix Final they won! Like they really won! Truthfully, deservedly. Because I was watching them, and I was amazed [with them], and Tessa and Scott didn’t win that time.

That’s why I was nervous in the Olympics! [laughing] Because, with all my love to Tessa and Scott, and I can give all the medals to Tessa, I knew the French could win. And I really want to see what’s going on with them next, I’m waiting for them very much, because they’re like the strongest couple out there.

Dobre

Ridiculously uneven GP events this season where just 1 WD or unexpected miscue/injury likely results in even more of a wildly crazy point standing situation

Not just 1 relevant team withdrew from NHK. Muramoto & Reed withdrew as well, and that is relevant in this field as M&R defeated the Parsons at 4CCs, Hawayek & Baker in the RD at the U.S. Classic and Skate America, and Zagorski & Guerreiro in the FD at the Olympics last season.

Japan probably knew what it was doing when they invited this field. (But once again, you have to stay together).

starrynight

I suppose this is a transitional period. By the time the Grand Prix Final comes around, we will have figured out what the *new* rivalries are and that will make things interesting. We may well have a Grand Prix Champion team that would have taken us all by surprise a few months ago.

Dobre

Updating the list with teams that have received a YY for the rocker portion of the pattern in international competition:

Guignard & Fabbri at Skate America, Lombardia, and the Helsinki GP. (G&F had YYYY across the first part of the pattern).
The Parsons at the Asian Open and Lake Placid International.
McNamara & Carpenter at Skate America, Nepela, Lake Placid International, and the Helsinki GP (M&C had YYYY for both portions of the pattern).
Turkkila & Versluis at Nepela and Minsk-Arena Ice Star. (T&V had YYYY across the first part of the pattern).
Tessari & Fioretti at Nepela and Minsk-Arena Ice Star. (T&F had YYYY across the first part of the pattern).
Muller & Dieck at Nepela.
Wang & Liu at Autumn Classic. (Wang & Liu had YYYY across the first part of the pattern).
Carreira & Ponomarenko at Nebelhorn. (C&P had YYYY across the first part of the pattern).
Gilles & Poirier at Nebelhorn.
Kaliszek & Spodyriev at Skate America.
Koch & Nuchtern at the International Halloween Cup. (K&N had YYYY across the first part of the pattern).
Moscheni & Fabbri at the Volvo Open.
Stepanova & Bukin at the Helsinki GP.

Note: Zagorski & Guerreiro didn't get the rocker, but they had YYYY across the second part of the pattern.

No one at Skate Canada received a YY on the rocker.

Last edited:

muffinplus

Who do people feel the stronger team between SinKats and Stepanova/Bukin is? I feel like Sinitsina has improved a ton and has much better edges than Stepanova does...

I much prefer both to Bobrova/Soloviev...

yurokis40

I don't really care for either but if I were to choose it would be stepanova and bukin, the best ice dance team Russia had was ilinykh and katsalapov and they spilt.

kittysk8ts

Who do people feel the stronger team between SinKats and Stepanova/Bukin is? I feel like Sinitsina has improved a ton and has much better edges than Stepanova does...

I think SinKats are better but I can’t trust them yet (lol). They are looking good this season but I still felt stressed watching them at SC. I love S/B’s energy and speed and their vibe. If SinKats can keep it together tho...I can see judges going with them as #1.

Also, yes, Vika has improved so much. 😀😀😀

muffinplus

I don't really care for either but if I were to choose it would be stepanova and bukin, the best ice dance team Russia had was ilinykh and katsalapov and they spilt.

Ilinykh/Katsalapov were great but I think Vikita are a better physical match because of the lack of height difference.

supergirl573

S/K is better, but S/B are more consistent and their consistency is mistaken for skill. I swear I said the same thing on Golden Skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information