The Dance Hall 5: Ice Dance Fans 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

What about Carreira/Ponomarenko? Should they stick with Igor? I was thinking that they could benefit from a move to Marina.

As someone else said, Lewis & Bye are with Marina. I think sooner or later these two teams were bound to diverge. They are friends, but ranked so close & chasing the same openings.

I'd be surprised if C&P switch. They are suddenly astonishingly close to the top in Igor's rink. I thought Carreira & Ponomarenko's programs were a big step up for them last season over the ones the year before. (Though their SD that year was cute). This season, the free felt too similar to last year's.

It was skated gorgeously at their second JGP event though.

Mostly, it came down to twizzles. The judges love C&P, but you can't muck up your twizzles in three events.

Next season. Fresh start. More experience.

Miloune

Thank you for this!

I’ve only watched the first 6 minutes so far and had to chuckle at the baffled commentators trying and failing to make sense of S/B’s music cut. Join the club, guys.

Lol yes and she also questionned C/B's version of Imagine haha... I'm glad she's asking the important questions.

Bigbird

Thank you for this!

I’ve only watched the first 6 minutes so far and had to chuckle at the baffled commentators trying and failing to make sense of S/B’s music cut. Join the club, guys.

We forget how hard it must be for the commentators at times to get through these music choices. My word. How did they practice with that for the entire season?

Dobre

The Transition:

As promised, here are a few more statistics and a few thoughts about them for this year's Freshman senior teams.

First-Year Senior Statistics:

-Teams that met their senior technical minimum scores for Worlds: 6 (The Parsons, McNamara & Carpenter, Loboda & Drozd, Abachkina & Thauron, Popova & Byelikov, Fukase & Tateno)
-Teams that finished top 24 on the SB list: 1 (The Parsons)
-Teams that finished top 24 on this season’s World Standings list: 2 (McNamara & Carpenter, The Parsons)
-Teams that qualified for the post season via Europeans or 4CCs: 6 (McNamara & Carpenter, The Parsons, Abachkina & Thauron, Fukase & Tateno, Popova & Byelikov, Damuleviciute & Kizala)
-Teams that qualified for the Olympics or Worlds: 0
-Teams that split: 2 (Abachkina & Thauron and Damuleviciute & Kizala)

First-Year Senior Nationals results:

-Abachkina & Thauron finished third at French Nationals.
-The Parsons finished fifth at U.S. Nationals.
-McNamara & Carpenter finished sixth at U.S. Nationals.
-Loboda & Drozd finished sixth at Russian Nationals.
-Fukase & Tateno finished third at Japan Nationals.
-Popova & Byelikov finished second at Ukrainian Nationals.

Thoughts:

Wow! So as I commented after the end of the regular season, the results for this year’s Freshman teams are much more intertwined than those of the teams from last season. And unlike last season’s teams, which were less decorated, the top three scoring first-year dance teams this season never bested their Personal Best overall scores from Junior Worlds. Despite the fact that this season’s top 7 scores (including scores from 4 different teams) were all higher than all of last year's scores from last season’s first-year teams, except the one from Tallinn Trophy (which was—ahem—a very high scoring event). So why didn’t the three Junior World medal winning teams best their PBs this season? GOE and PCS. It wasn’t due to levels. McNamara & Carpenter earned almost 6 1/2 points higher base value in their FD at this year’s 4CCs than in their free at the 2016 Junior Worlds. But when you’re at the top of the junior ranks, you’re bringing in +3s. And M&C, The Parsons, and Loboda & Drozd were also bringing in 8.75s, even a few 9.00s for M&C and L&D. I’m just not seeing that happen with the international scores for first-year senior teams. (Nope not even for Papadakis & Cizeron in 2014 and only a handful of +3s for the Shibs in 2011).

Per usual, all the first-year teams had bumps along the way this season. Some mistakes and also some successful outings. The top four first-year teams had multiple opportunities to skate internationally. A minimum of four times each during the season. No one made a huge splash, but they all had smaller wins along the way. And their scores held up very well against other young teams. They defeated the likes of Popova & Mozgov (The Parsons), Nazarova & Nikitin (M&C and L&D), Lauriault & Le Gac (M&C and the Parsons), Soucisse & Firus (L&D), Kaliszek & Spodyriev (M&C and L&D), Smart & Diaz (L&D), Lorenz & Polizoakis (L&D and the Parsons) Wang & Liu (M&C), Min & Gamelin (M&C and the Parsons), and even Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson (M&C).

Conclusion: They are competitive. Lots of learning to be done and different execution & performance expectations to be met in seniors. But experience gained.

More stats from the 2nd year teams later.

IloveFS

You guys are missing some great musicals. Pippin, Oliver, Camelot, Guys and Dolls, South Pacific, King and I, Candide, Showboat, KIss Me Kate, even Hair! There’s tons to choose from and yet we get Les Mis, POTO and WSS over and over again.

Maybe somebody could tango to Hernando’s Hideaway this coming year.
I LOVE the idea of Hernando's Hideaway --- maybe Stepanova and Bukin?

Dobre

I would say it's a good sign that Sinitsina & Katsalapov are training for the SD. After the end of their season, I wasn't at all sure we would see them preparing for next season at all.

Coquelicot14

She cannot move on the floor.

Could you pin point exactly what's wrong with what she is doing?
I am not a fan of this team, but in this excerpt I didn't find any glaring errors or bad posture.

About him being too active, I'll have to agree. He always tries to pull attention on himself, which is one of the reasons I am not a fan of this team...
The other couple on the floor is much softer.

Moustaffask8r

As someone else said, Lewis & Bye are with Marina. I think sooner or later these two teams were bound to diverge. They are friends, but ranked so close & chasing the same openings.

I'd be surprised if C&P switch. They are suddenly astonishingly close to the top in Igor's rink. I thought Carreira & Ponomarenko's programs were a big step up for them last season over the ones the year before. (Though their SD that year was cute). This season, the free felt too similar to last year's.

It was skated gorgeously at their second JGP event though.

Mostly, it came down to twizzles. The judges love C&P, but you can't muck up your twizzles in three events.

Next season. Fresh start. More experience.
Don’t think L/B are C/P competition. L/B have been junior for ever and just had a small break through with the change of coach the past season.... The Green will be ahead of L/B and so will G/S.

Bigbird

Could you pin point exactly what's wrong with what she is doing?
I am not a fan of this team, but in this excerpt I didn't find any glaring errors or bad posture.

About him being too active, I'll have to agree. He always tries to pull attention on himself, which is one of the reasons I am not a fan of this team...
The other couple on the floor is much softer.

I watch this and just bawl. Elena Ilinykh would have just killed this, but his problem is he needs to be the girl in the partnership. Adding to the problem even if he were to learn to partner her, she doesn't have the skills.

OTOH, S/B just smoulder without doing a thing. I am glad that B/S are out this upcoming season: Zhulin would have simply gone for vulgar with Bobrova. I'm more interested in H/D's take on tango.

Dobre

Don’t think L/B are C/P competition. L/B have been junior for ever and just had a small break through with the change of coach the past season.... The Green will be ahead of L/B and so will G/S.

Nice that you have a crystal ball. I haven't.

I simply love watching Chloe & Logan skate. They are both expressive, musical, and a joy to watch. I always think it is a good sign when a team sticks together through a tough season. Half the battle, right there.

The Greens may well challenge everyone. Winning the technical mark in the SD at Junior Worlds looks very, very good for them. Though it will be some while before they enter seniors, and a great deal can happen--both positive & negative.

For Gropman & Somerville, we'll see. We are fortunate to have so many unique teams worth following.

Marta24

Nice that you have a crystal ball. I haven't.

I simply love watching Chloe & Logan skate. They are both expressive, musical, and a joy to watch. I always think it is a good sign when a team sticks together through a tough season. Half the battle, right there.

The Greens may well challenge everyone. Winning the technical mark in the SD at Junior Worlds looks very, very good for them. Though it will be some while before they enter seniors, and a great deal can happen--both positive & negative.

For Gropman & Somerville, we'll see. We are fortunate to have so many unique teams worth following.
Skoptcova/Aleshin had a higher TES at Junior Worlds, but the Greens had the 2nd highest, which is amazing for such a young team. I`m really looking forward to how they are going to develop in the next few years.

Dobre

Skoptcova/Aleshin had a higher TES at Junior Worlds, but the Greens had the 2nd highest, which is amazing for such a young team.

Yes, my apologies. The Greens had the highest base value in the SD. That is what I misremembered.

Lara111

I agree about L/B. I do not think they will be very successful competitively. I think they are supported by USFSA but not doing well internationally and this is not a good sign.

Dobre

I think they are supported by USFSA but not doing well internationally and this is not a good sign.

Seventh at your first Junior Worlds is not doing poorly internationally either. They had a rough season, but ultimately they earned a higher SB than every junior dance team in the world outside of Russia, the U.S., and the top junior team from Canada. They also defeated a clean skate from the Greens in the FD at Junior Worlds. We all know Marina's strength is her choreography. Let's give Chloe & Logan a chance to see what they can do with it.

Bigbird

I think looking at a junior team's record is way too soon to be making predictions about that team's future success long-term.

Absolutely right. Case in point Loboda and Drozd. After all that they are beaten by the lowly E/B this year. Better to say less and less and let the skating do the talking. But in all honesty I've never really been impressed with them as a couple, Drozd is just so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information