The Amazing Race S36

screech

I was surprised when I saw it in my upcoming TV schedule a couple of weeks ago, since I had not seen a single advertisement for this season. And I still haven't.

ilovesalchows

The team that was eliminated killed me! Why didn’t they back out of the street? That perpendicular car!

You gotta believe when we they highlight anyone saying how well they are going to do a challenge because of some skill or another it isn’t going to go well. “I’m going to ace this challenge because I’m half Mexican!” “I own a jump roping business!”

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
You gotta believe when we they highlight anyone saying how well they are going to do a challenge because of some skill or another it isn’t going to go well. “I’m going to ace this challenge because I’m half Mexican!” “I own a jump roping business!”
:lol: Yes, TAR is very good at enforcing "You have a right to remain silent (although we will do everything we can to get you to talk). Anything you say can and will be used against you in editing."

Team Car Wreck performed really well at the Detour and Roadblock, so it would have been interesting to see how they would have done if they could drive. Stopping to get directions might slow you down initially, but I don't understand the ones who just take off and hope they will find whatever.

Phil's take on the cast. I think you can kind of tell from some of what he says that some of the teams are going to be more successful than you might think based on their first challenges--mainly because I don't think some of the things he says were at all apparent in the first episode, so I think some of them are going to be around long enough for those characteristics to come out--but otherwise it isn't terribly spoiler-ish and I think his take is interesting. I did figure that the brother-sister team would be the first out based on his comments, but I don't think the rest is quite as revealing.

BaileyCatts

I don't get the whole car thing. Why didn't they just pull back out in reverse like backing out of a driveway? :confused:

I don't understand the people who just get in a car and drive, sit there and go "I don't think this is right" yet continue driving. I don't even go places in my own city unless I study googlemaps carefully to know where I'm going. :lol: If I'm in a strange country, I'm gonna go in the nearest hotel or business and asking for directions.

I feel bad for the Dad/Daughter because poor Dad looks like he ain't gonna be able to take much more just general health wise. :yikes:

I want one of those horses for my house. :rofl:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I don't understand the people who just get in a car and drive, sit there and go "I don't think this is right" yet continue driving.
I remember an interview with a team from years ago that practiced driving with a paper map. They each practiced driving, then switched. I wish I could remember who it was, but they said that the practice really helped them understand how important it was to pull over and verify where they were and if they were heading in the correct direction.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I don't get the whole car thing. Why didn't they just pull back out in reverse like backing out of a driveway? :confused:
Some people are afraid to drive in reverse and that was a long way to back up with a lot of things to hit along the way.
I don't understand the people who just get in a car and drive, sit there and go "I don't think this is right" yet continue driving.
I see you haven't met my husband :lol:. He drives me CRAZY when we are on trips and get lost because he will. not. stop. so I can figure out where we are. To him, stopping means losing time; as stressful as it is to be lost, I think he gets more stressed by stopping.

BaileyCatts

Bro: "I don't know who Elizabeth Taylor is".
Me: :wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes: I'm officially old.

I like how the lady chuckled at them too. :lol:

I would have picked Balloons to begin with, but if I woulda picked Flags and got there to see all those Flags I woulda immediately switched without even bothering. Yeah, they got it, but that was way too many Flags.

Probably best for Dad to be done just safety wise. I worry for Mom too but she seems in a little bit better shape. I don't think they will make it to the end though.

Loving the Bros. A little ditzy, but they funny. :rofl:

skatemomaz

Resist
I’m quoting myself. They still need to drop 5 teams. Can the pinkies go next? They’re annoying af.
If not the pinkies, then the aerobics instructors, either one can go next please.

I thought the father / daughter last week weren't so much stupid as he was clearly not physically able to do the race. I loved how sweet and calm the daughter was when he was needing to rest, giving him electrolytes, knowing they were probably in last place.

Bros this week were incredibly stupid, clearly not equipped to take on the challenges. I'm liking Ricky and Cesar, the grandparents, Juan and Shane, and the fire fighters. The nurses show the potential for some major annoying behavior. I'm not sure how I feel about the superfan and his mom yet.

I think that climb up the mountain was possibly worse than the stair climb in the previous season.

Aceon6

I’m thinking it would be cool if they had a team or two on standby for the 2nd and 3rd legs. Teams that didn’t make the cut because they were sane and prepared, aka “not good tv.” Anytime Phil has his “wtf are these people doing here” face, the standby team(s) would complete the leg and if their time was better than the 2nd to last team, they get swapped in and the two slowest go home.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I thought the father / daughter last week weren't so much stupid as he was clearly not physically able to do the race. I loved how sweet and calm the daughter was when he was needing to rest, giving him electrolytes, knowing they were probably in last place.
They seem to have such a great relationship.
Bros this week were incredibly stupid, clearly not equipped to take on the challenges.
I know some young dudes who are just like them. :lol:
I'm liking Ricky and Cesar, the grandparents, Juan and Shane, and the fire fighters. The nurses show the potential for some major annoying behavior. I'm not sure how I feel about the superfan and his mom yet.
Ricky and Cesar are killing it so far. The grandparents crack me up; my husband said "Oh, the joys of longterm marriages, where you have the confidence to say exactly what you are thinking and know it won't matter." :lol: The nurses are way too intense. I think the superfan and his mom are sweet, but they won't last very long. And why the heck would you EVER go on TAR if you are terrified of heights, aerobics instructors???

Were the girlfriends even in this episode? I saw them at the mat, but I don't remember them in the race at all.
I think that climb up the mountain was possibly worse than the stair climb in the previous season.
I would have died halfway up. And never would I have picked Ricky and Cesar for the ones to make it to the top first.

BaileyCatts

They had to climb sixty flights of stairs? 60?! SIXTY???!!!!! :wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes::wideeyes: And then they had to climb 60 flights back down??!!! Did I hear that correctly?? They at least could have had a secure tent for them to leave their packs in so they didn't have to climb with their packs! I wonder how the medics woulda got a stretcher up there to drag my dead body off those stairs when I had my heart attack and died. :lol: My legs still hurt just from sitting on my couch watching them climb!

Aw man. I love The Bros. They were funny. That packing thing looked hard just figuring out what goes where, let alone having to pack it. Especially after climbing 60 flights of stairs. I blame exhaustion and brain freeze. And well .... The Bros are 🤪 . Totally with the Bros when they got to the cooking and were like OMG what do we do with this. As the suckiest cook in the world, I would have had doubts too. But I never coulda done the packing thing so I woulda had to stick with cooking and just meticulously follow the directions and picture and hope for the best.

That mountain was scary. :yikes:

Last edited:

smurfy

The Bros cracked me up- I like their energy and they are nice to each other, but not the brightest light bulbs. Not surprised they are gone, but wish some others left before them as they were amusing.
I am too liking Ricky & Cesar, grandparents, NFL guy & wife,
potential - firefighters, pilots -not much air time
annoying - nurses- I feel like something is off, pink girls, aerobic couple
mother/son - just are not going to last

jadingirl

I am starting to really like the mom and son. He is so patient with her - what was the name of the girl last year always yelling at her dad. I am kind of waiting for him to break down and freak out at her lol.

annie720

I am starting to really like the mom and son. He is so patient with her - what was the name of the girl last year always yelling at her dad. I am kind of waiting for him to break down and freak out at her lol.
I like them, too. I'm amazed she did the steps. Yeah, unfortunately, they can't last. They were very lucky that others were slower. Before I looked them up, and since I obviously wasn't paying attention in the intros, I was trying to place her accent. At first I was thinking New England, then Ohio, since she sounds a lot like my husband's Dayton relatives. I've spent next to no time in the Pacific Northwest. Is this speech pattern typical of eastern Washington?

Aceon6

Hmmmm. Imagine signing up for TAR if you have no sense of orienting yourself in physical space, no strategy for focusing and reassessing, and (per the previews) have not practiced driving a standard shift vehicle. I knew that the firefighters would get through the sculpture challenge as soon as she said “I have to orient myself” despite totally overthinking the puzzle earlier in the leg.

Is anyone keeping up with roadblocks? I’m worried that mom will be stuck with something physical. And, pleeeease, can the pinkies disappear on the next leg?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Hmmmm. Imagine signing up for TAR if you have no sense of orienting yourself in physical space,
I would think knowing how to read and use maps is critical on TAR, but I think a lot of teams underprepare for that based on how navigation tends to go. I used to be a whiz at maps, but I tried to use one the other day to get somewhere just to see if I still could and it required more effort than I anticipated. IME, a lot of people tend to unfold a map and not pay a lot of attention to orientation (and so drive off in the wrong direction), so I wasn't surprised that that was an issue for some on that challenge.

I laughed when I heard one of them yelling "Pull over!" in the preview and told my husband that that would be us on TAR--me screaming that I needed a fixed location to find us on the map and him grimly insisting on driving because you aren't getting anywhere if you stop.
(per the previews) have not practiced driving a standard shift vehicle.
It's hard to find one! And even when you do, teams in the past have said they practiced and ended up having trouble anyway, so I'm thinking that it's also a matter of not enough practice combined with stress.

Aceon6

@Prancer What bugged me most was DD staring at the checkerboard building and calling it the library. Nope. The library was top right, not dead ahead.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
@Prancer What bugged me most was DD staring at the checkerboard building and calling it the library. Nope. The library was top right, not dead ahead.
Oh, I know. I saw that it took Team JumpRope four hours to finish that task. I would have died.

BaileyCatts

Phil describing the dance challenge: "how hard can that be". :rofl: Oh Phil, u so silly. As soon as I heard the word "dancing" I was nope, not that one. And the Firefighters at the puzzle challenge ... I'm pretty dumb but even I got it the first time the camera ran down the puzzle pieces. Okay, 2nd time ... I said bigger instead of smaller at first. :p I want that big Gato kitty for my yard. :cat: And the doggie riding the escalator and he be followin' the rules. :dog: And Phil jump roping at the end was he-lar-i-us. :ROFLMAO:

ilovesalchows

I really miss all the flight shenanigans. Did they mention why they aren't including planes or flying across continents this season? Looks like this is a 'Race around Latin America.'

Rogue

Sexy Superhero
I’m feel like all the group start times are a bit unfair. If you arrive 30 minutes before the next team, you should get to leave 30 minutes before the next team. It could even penalize a team. Let’s say team 3 arrives 5 minutes after team 2 but an hour before team 4. Why should teams 3 and 4 have the same start time when team 3 was much closer to team 2?

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I really miss all the flight shenanigans. Did they mention why they aren't including planes or flying across continents this season? Looks like this is a 'Race around Latin America.'
Filmed during the waning days of the COVID-19 pandemic global health emergency and prior to 35th aired season, this season features chartered air travel rather than commercial air travel and other accommodations for the safety of the racers.

They stay in Central and South America for the entire season except the finale.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team

skatemomaz

Resist
Ricky and Cesar are really great racers, they even run in sync. :lol:

I so want to root for the firefighters because they are mostly so good at the roadblocks and detours, with the exception of the puzzle wall, but they are killing me with their lack of navigation skills.

This was the first episode where the pinkies weren't annoying me but I'm not sorry to see them go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information