Survivor S45

Jenny

From the Bloc
Me too! Emily is lucky she landed on the worst tribe because on so many tribes past, her ass woulda been the first to go. In the post show interviews Jeff is all like "part of the journey" but his face during TC said it all when it came to Hannah.

alexikeguchi

I do too. I don’t know if I’ve ever had such an immediate dislike for a survivor contestant.
I feel like there was some other investment analyst on about ten seasons ago who was equally obnoxious and also way overthought their strategy... Don't recall the name since they didn't last long enough to have significant impact.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Here's something interesting - it's on Jeff's podcast apparently, and Hannah refers to it in her EW post interview, so I found some more details:

Apparently when Belo won immunity, they also won an advantage, choosing Kendra to go over the Lulu's camp to "observe" them scrambling ahead of TC. She was there for hours, not only listening, but making connections too. She then, not known to Lulu, cast a vote at tree mail - against Brandon - and went on to sit in on TC, observing again.

I guess they didn't think it played out right since there was no vote and no aha moment that there's another vote to consider - could have been very interesting if Hannah hadn't spoiled the whole thing and Brandon had wagered his vote by rolling the dice and it's a close vote between him and Emily and then that extra vote comes out.

But surely this could play out in some way? Kendra has new intel, new connections. And maybe something like this will happen again - which could be why we didn't see it in the first ep.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
In the post show interviews Jeff is all like "part of the journey" but his face during TC said it all when it came to Hannah.
He looked like he was trying to decide who in casting was about to be fired.
But surely this could play out in some way? Kendra has new intel, new connections. And maybe something like this will happen again - which could be why we didn't see it in the first ep.
Or maybe it doesn't play out at all. That happens a lot. But interesting!

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Man, as soon as Emily said in her initial intro 'I'd rather be voted out first than not win', I was ready for her to go out first, and the whole episode was set up for such a satisfying arc. But someone massively screwed up in casting - not only for Hannah in general, but putting two emotionally fragile people on the same tribe? Lulu never had a chance. I'm also like, how does someone still going through nicotine withdrawal AND someone who needs to take daily acid reflux medication get cast on a show like this?

My other question is why Jeff snuffed her torch when this was almost exactly like Osten's departure way back when (I have always thought Jeff's response to Osten's request to be voted out - not quitting - was completely disproportionate). :rolleyes:

Not a ton of other observations, but:

Kendra reminds me way too much of Drew Barrymore
The woman who doesn't want to reveal she's a lawyer is hilarious, especially in dealing with Jake the baby lawyer who's appy to talk about his job.
I guess I didn't see S44 because I had no idea who Bruce was, but if he was med evaced in the 1st challenge, just how much of an advantage did he have? Was he known as bossy dad in that season?

I got Malcom/Joe/Xander vibes from Austin until they showed him walking around shirtless. Is there a similar quip for 'gun show' if it's about pecs? Damn.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I guess I didn't see S44 because I had no idea who Bruce was, but if he was med evaced in the 1st challenge, just how much of an advantage did he have? Was he known as bossy dad in that season?
Not only was it the first challenge, it was right off the boat - they hadn't even been to camp yet, so there was nothing to know about him (maybe in the initial scramble on the boat or something? I don't recall). Then they did go back to camp, but he was in such rough shape he was gone that night. I think everyone - viewers included - just felt bad about what happened, so they gave him another shot.

Why Emily thought it was some big advantage, I have no idea. He's been there before, but at that point he didn't have any more experience than the rest of them.

genevieve

Staff member
Why Emily thought it was some big advantage, I have no idea. He's been there before, but at that point he didn't have any more experience than the rest of them.
I think she was just trying to be a really aggressive player right off the bat (which is terrible game play), maybe she didn't even think it but wanted to place a target on anyone she could asap.

Here's something interesting - it's on Jeff's podcast apparently, and Hannah refers to it in her EW post interview, so I found some more details:

Apparently when Belo won immunity, they also won an advantage, choosing Kendra to go over the Lulu's camp to "observe" them scrambling ahead of TC. She was there for hours, not only listening, but making connections too. She then, not known to Lulu, cast a vote at tree mail - against Brandon - and went on to sit in on TC, observing again.
I'm guessing it won't have any bearing on gameplay and we'll never hear about it. It's frustrating to have something like this completely edited out, but I guess they really didn't anticipate Hannah's exit (even her tribe seemed surprised) and had to edit in any and every mention of her not enjoying the experience to have that TC make any sense at all. There was enough 'gotcha' after all the build up of Emily the enemy vs Brandon the useless.

Also: Emily is a 3rd rate Kass without any of the charisma. Yes, charisma.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
My other question is why Jeff snuffed her torch when this was almost exactly like Osten's departure way back when (I have always thought Jeff's response to Osten's request to be voted out - not quitting - was completely disproportionate). :rolleyes:
Osten was the first quitter; I don't think Jeff has reacted that way to anyone else who's quit since then. He's been almost kind to some of them.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Osten was the first quitter; I don't think Jeff has reacted that way to anyone else who's quit since then. He's been almost kind to some of them.
Not necessarily- he’s been annoyed by people for sure, certainly Colton on his second time around. I don’t think Jeff has ever laid into someone as much as he did then.

screech

Also, doesn't survivor film seasons back-to-back? What are the chances that Emily (or anyone there) had even seen Bruce's original time. I mean, of course Jeff and the producers would have told them, but still!

tony

Also, doesn't survivor film seasons back-to-back? What are the chances that Emily (or anyone there) had even seen Bruce's original time. I mean, of course Jeff and the producers would have told them, but still!
They all saw it, because this season and next are the ones that were back-to-back.

tony

Brandon needed to go (he really was intolerable) and I knew Emily would have some kind of redemption story. I just didn't expect it to start happening in episode 2. They showed a clip of her in episode one saying she would rather go out first than finish in 2nd place because of 'wasted time' or something like that. I remember back to when Chris Underwood won (with the stupid edge of extinction twist the first time), and they repeatedly gave sound bytes of him saying "I wanted to play the perfect game" while he was sitting with all the other castaways who had been voted out. Can Emily have that kind of run in this game, too?

Otherwise, I love the energy of the Reba tribe and the potential bromance in Austin and Drew.

Big Brother isn't really doing it for me anymore, but Survivor still has that special magic.

Last edited:

screech

I definitely didn't expect to start almost liking Emily so quickly. Good for her for actually listening to what the others are saying.
Brandon definitely needed to go.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Agree Brandon had to go, for the team of course, but he was also getting more and more annoying to watch. I totally get that doing puzzles in the hot sun with cameras running and Jeff yelling is a lot more stressful than doing them at home, but come on! At one point in the tree puzzle he was holding a piece upside down trying to make it fit - like look at the pattern! Plus he said he wanted this so bad, since he was a kid, but he apparently did no training at all. But he did get his teeth whitened :rolleyes:

Had a feeling something was going to turn with Emily because in one of the articles I read after the first ep, Jeff was a tad cagey about her. But is she really listening? Or just trying to get her game back on track?

I do like what I'm seeing of the rest of the cast - especially super tall guy who seems to have some interesting strategies going on. Looks all big and goofy in camp, but comes off so confident and articulate in his confessionals, he's up to something. Also liked the woman who is just NOT buying what Bruce is selling, but she's staying under the radar about it.

Also glad to have actual fans/players again. I skipped a few seasons when it felt like there were too many stuntcasts and twists and themes. I like it this way much better, because we're getting so much more actual gameplay.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I still dislike Emily but would have definitely booted Brandon. Because I dislike Emily she will probably win. :lol:

BaileyCatts

Brandon needed to go (he really was intolerable) and I knew Emily would have some kind of redemption story. I just didn't expect it to start happening in episode 2. They showed a clip of her in episode one saying she would rather go out first than finish in 2nd place because of 'wasted time' or something like that. I remember back to when Chris Underwood won (with the stupid edge of extinction twist the first time), and they repeatedly gave sound bytes of him saying "I wanted to play the perfect game" while he was sitting with all the other castaways who had been voted out. Can Emily have that kind of run in this game, too?
If she wins ..... we are going to blame you. :p

genevieve

Staff member
Eh... definitely not ready for the Emily redemption arc, but even production seemed to be saying, hey we all know Brandon needs to get out of here, let's soften the blow a bit maybe. But oh man, right after the last TC? Emily's whole "what can I apologize for to make you feel better" was so amazingly tone deaf. Without the huge casting errors on LuluLemons, she'd be a megavillain.

Jeff must be SO pissed at casting. After snuffing the torch, Brandon was going on about his journey etc and Jeff cut him short and said "all right...get out of here" :rofl:

We don't get to see much of the other tribes, but if I was on the blue tribe, I would 100% be Keturah barely supressing my eye-rolls at the corny uncle act of Bruce's. I'm sad she seems to not have a strong alliance, as she's hilarious.

And Drew narrating everything going through his head is going to drive me batty.

Also: JFC everyone's knees are in rough shape. The camera kept drifting to Julie's knees when she was getting her 30 seconds of camera time, but it's everyone out there. Their knees are all beat to shit :yikes:

genevieve

Staff member
Sorry for back to back, but this is an interesting article on this season's casting, and it starts off with Brandon. Apparently he sold himself very well once he got in front of Jeff.

Dee's casting story is hilarious though.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
And Drew narrating everything going through his head is going to drive me batty.
I figure there's a producer standing there, saying "Talk us through your process. What are you thinking?"

Because it would be pretty boring if they just stood there clutching their heads.

Most of them talk, which I don't think they would if they weren't being prompted.

genevieve

Staff member
Yes, all players narrate to some degree and that's always been the case; Drew seems to have taken it to the next level though.

smurfy

Great season so far.
Emily - Definitely didn't like her right away w her comments about Bruce. But she reminded me of somebody and couldn't figure out til the end of the 2nd episode. Not to insult the actress - but Emily reminds of Claire Foy in The Crown, holding everything in.
So far I am like Sabiyah and Keturah - both seem like smart ladies.
Will Lulu become a word in survivor like Pagong?
How many lawyers this season - 3??
Remember a couple of seasons the 'sales people' -one of them was being quiet and wanted the other one out.
I noticed Jeff announced that whoever sits out in a challenge is playing in the next. Change based on last season - was it Claire that kept sitting out? Like the rule change.
Uncle Bruce needs to go - how annoying.
Sifu - could be annoying - jury still out
Dee - her big toe - I assuming it will aid her in one of the balance challenges or not
Kendra - she might be annoying - the whole libra/virgo stuff - uggghh But I would love to see a female alliance that makes it to the end.
Kaleb and Sean seeming promising. Sean is a school principal - looked up his age - 35 - he looks so young. I always think jr high/high school teachers/counselors/principals should do well well - as everything is acting like teens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information