Survivor S44

Mugs

I saw the beginning of the episode with everyone scavenging for idols and somehow I fell asleep and missed the challenges and TC. I was lukewarm on Kane so I wasn't crushed to learn he was sent home. I think it's interesting that Danny keeps managing to fly just under everyone's radar. I'm not a fan of Carolyn's but i do think it was incredibly brave for her to share her personal story with the group, especially knowing it would be televised. It certainly is an interesting cast this season....lots of personalities. My hopeful final three is Frannie/Carson/Heidi.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I really like Carolyn and I think her gameplay is good in terms of relationships and in a season where everyone seems to want to give away their idols and advantages, she's kept hers under wraps for some time now. However, to stand a chance she's got to make some moves other than going along with other people's plans. Perhaps the Sandra strategy, but I think there are too many real players here who are going to value a more aggressive approach.

Funny that they are giving a lot of players the "I'm in the middle so I control the game!" edits, which in the past was always a precursor to being voted out, but this time maybe it's actually true?

Read a thing about how the producers have loaded this season with fake idols and they keep going home rather than being played. Didn't we all want Jaime to play her fake idol? I wonder if as the season went on the producers adjusted slightly because they gotta know we all want to see someone play a fake one, no?

Also interesting that one element that's not in the game so far - Knowledge is Power - is nonetheless influencing strategy quite a bit, resulting in the shuffle of idols and advantages at this TC and others. That players are so willingly, voluntarily, giving up these advantages is a bit crazy.

Still rooting for Carson, who I read gained 30 pounds for this, and while I find Yam Yam a lot of fun, he's starting to go down that "if you put my name down you're gone" route, which may work for him strategically in the end, but could also be clouding his vision now.

Frannie is a good player no question, but I think the personal journey of winning challenges when she thought she wouldn't might be overtaking her strategy by putting a big target on her back. No one seemed to want to listen to her ideas on who to vote out, so maybe her alliance isn't as strong as she thought.

Kane was a good player, the sole Canadian so I had to root for him, but it was only a matter of time I think. Mistake on his part to give up the challenge for rice - apparently pre show he talked about how he would do this, who knows if he talked about it around camp too. Interesting the different schools of thought on how to approach that one, which of course means we'll see it again in seasons to come.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Frannie is a good player no question, but I think the personal journey of winning challenges when she thought she wouldn't might be overtaking her strategy by putting a big target on her back. No one seemed to want to listen to her ideas on who to vote out, so maybe her alliance isn't as strong as she thought.
This is also the 2nd time that her strategic ideas weren't just ignored, but seemed really out of whack (first was when she thought Brandon would vote to save Matt). It definitely was too early to start picking off Tika. I think this shows that she's a strong competitor but not a great strategist - or that she's getting an edit to highlight this.

screech

Still rooting for Carson, who I read gained 30 pounds for this, and while I find Yam Yam a lot of fun, he's starting to go down that "if you put my name down you're gone" route, which may work for him strategically in the end, but could also be clouding his vision now.
I used to really like Yam Yam but now he's kind of annoying me.

I was surprised that out of everyone they sent Kane home. He's the guy that I always forget about, so other than Yam Yam's personal vendetta, I'm wondering why they thought he was an actual threat. If it were me, Danny would be the one gone.

Carolyn, Carson, and Heidi are my top picks right now.

sk8pics

I only just started watching the season a bit over a week ago, so I watched all the episodes in that time. So I am still really NOT liking Carolyn AT ALL. I just find her really irritating and annoying, with her facial expressions and some of her earlier rants to the camera about how people were not listening to her, and how stupid they were. But I do agree it’s great that she managed not to give herself away after she opened the bird cage an got the idol. I’m impressed she has not blabbed about it yet.

I thought Danny’s move was epic and was really surprised he played his idol on Franny after finding out that Yam Yam had blabbed about the plan. And more surprised that it worked.

Yam yam is, meh, for me. I like the other players to various degrees but don’t really have a favorite. If Carolyn ends up winning, I may never watch again. :wall: :lol: But overall I’m really enjoying the season a lot. The producers have gotten a bit snarky, like when one of the players was saying he wanted subtitles (I forget why) and when they showed him saying that, they subtitled it.:rofl::rofl:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yam yam is, meh, for me. I like the other players to various degrees but don’t really have a favorite. If Carolyn ends up winning, I may never watch again. :wall: :lol: But overall I’m really enjoying the season a lot. The producers have gotten a bit snarky, like when one of the players was saying he wanted subtitles (I forget why) and when they showed him saying that, they subtitled it.:rofl::rofl:
That wasn’t a snarky moment at all. It was Yam Yam when all of the players started whispering in each other’s ears. Of course we all want subtitles for that, and also English isn’t his first language.

More snarky is a Debbie-type edit where they change her job title each time her name appears on the screen ;)

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
That wasn’t a snarky moment at all. It was Yam Yam when all of the players started whispering in each other’s ears. Of course we all want subtitles for that, and also English isn’t his first language.
But it was snarky of the producers to use subtitles for him saying that he wanted subtitles.

I laughed, anyway.

The producers have been snarky for years (their descriptive terms for some of the cast members has been :lol: for some time), but the show is definitely more meta this season.

sk8pics

Snarky may not be the right word. But I just thought it was funny the way they subtitled him saying he wanted subtitles. They do use subtitles from time to time, but that scene was subtitled by itself, I thought.
But it was snarky of the producers to use subtitles for him saying that he wanted subtitles.

I laughed, anyway.
I did too. It was hilarious.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I am bummed Frannie is gone but they did the right thing, she was an immunity beast and super likable. If TAR hasn’t cast her yet they are idiots.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I am bummed Frannie is gone but they did the right thing, she was an immunity beast and super likable. If TAR hasn’t cast her yet they are idiots.

She's better for TAR anyway - for all her smarts, her strategy and social game weren't great (and by social game I mean reading the room, not making friends).

Feel like something's building for Carolyn's story, or is constantly not being heard just a thing? At this point she doesn't stand a chance of winning, so she's got to make a move, and I think it's going to have to be on her own, which in itself could have a huge impact, especially if it's close to the end.

Love Carson, you could just see it in his face when they walked into that challenge that he was thinking he just needs to be one of the first to get to the puzzle and it's his to win. However, boasting - even if just to the camera - that he can lie about people who are no longer in the game could really come back to bite him if the jury's comparing notes (I know they're not supposed to, but come on).

Fave part of last night though was Jaime shouting the truth to anyone and everyone, and being so relieved to have it out there, but totally oblivious to the fact that no one believed her! Oh to be in Jaime's living room watching this show with her as she sees an entirely different game unfold than the one she thought she was playing at the time. :rofl:

screech

I kind of feel like Carolyn is the person people want to take to the end. She isn't good at challenges, people think she's weird, and she hasn't made any big plays (that they know of). But at FTC she would be able to bring up that she tried to tell people things that they ignored (like fake idols), AND that she's managed to keep having an idol secret for almost the entire game.

love skating

Clueless American
Fave part of last night though was Jaime shouting the truth to anyone and everyone, and being so relieved to have it out there, but totally oblivious to the fact that no one believed her! Oh to be in Jaime's living room watching this show with her as she sees an entirely different game unfold than the one she thought she was playing at the time. :rofl:
And also not knowing it was fake idol! :lol: I was mad Kane left with it because I really wanted to see her try to use it!

Sad Frannie is gone, but if it wasn't this week it would have been soon. She basically needed to win out on the immunity challenges or find an idol to last to the end.

genevieve

Staff member
Oh, well. It was totally the right vote, but I will miss Frannie in the game. Frannie & Matt for TAR!

So much hilarious misdirection of paranoia this week! I can't wait for the finale to hear more about the fake idol that didn't get played but still almost got Jaime sent home (who knows if it will still be an issue moving forward). But also - Heidi ratting on Danny about his boast to get Frannie out which made others think Heidi was behind the Frannie vote. That's nuts! And Heidi was the only one to still vote Danny! Although it would be on-brand for that to be strategic on her part.

Danny is actually playing a better game than in the beginning, and yet somehow also seems to be flying under the radar. I think he very well might make it to the F3, although he'd not well liked and I don't know that he will handle FTC well enough to bring around respect votes.

Yeah, Carson was always going to win that puzzle challenge. But this week was all about making moves too fast - first, the way he managed Jaime (esp saying in front of others he had to talk to her privately as soon as they returned from the previous TC?) and her fake idol story, but especially, especially dealing with Carolyn. She's been left out of the Tika loop before, but I think this is the first time she felt like she was calling the shots for the trio, so she might take it more personally. Not to mention her gratitude for being taken on the reward. At this point it's Carson's to lose, but I'm looking forward to the explosion this week.

For that sand challenge, I hope they put Carson's and YY's glasses on the tether pole and they didn't have to snake around with them in a pocket :eek:

tony

So Carolyn didn't even have to play the idol but in doing so, she surely jumps up to one of the top threats in the other active players' eyes even with no necklaces won or even close to being won. Everyone laughs at her so much, and I'm sure the others notice the jury constantly in stitches which may have been looked at as someone perfect to carry to the end, but not now. But the preview with Yam Yam talking about getting rid of her, I suppose it's extremely unlikely in the next episode. Carson is still a bigger threat anyways. I'm sure he's practiced fire-making meticulously (and ETA- I have no doubt he'd go the new school route of putting himself in a position to make fire against the other biggest threat if it comes down to that).

How many hidden idols are in play? One for sure, and shouldn't there be at least one other? I'm sure that'll be a big focus of the next episode.

Still rooting for a Carolyn-Yam Yam-Carson finale, but the editing has heavily favored those three from the start so it very well may end up the other three in which I think Heidi would win.

Last edited:

screech

Even though Carolyn didn't have to play her idol, it was a smart idea. She couldn't be confident that Lauren and Jamie would go along with their plan, plus it also showed the others that she's playing the game. I loved the jury's shocked expressions. Nobody ever thought that 'kooky Carolyn' could have kept an idol secret for 20 days. Unfortunately this now makes her the biggest target, and since she's done poorly at immunity challenges, I'm a bit worried.

I thought it was amusing that Yam Yam was so focused on the immunity challenge that he didn't realize he won, even with everyone yelling at him.

Not sure if it was here or reddit, but there's a lot of speculation that Carson is going to be making fire at tribal council. We've seen a few shots of him standing pensively by the fire. And in last night's episode, they had a long shot of the fire reflecting in his glasses.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Speaking of Amazing Race are they currently filming a new season and if so what season would that be?
This was my all time fav reality show but I just haven't been able to get it for years now :( But I just saw a picture in a local group I follow and some are wondering if they are filming now?

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Speaking of Amazing Race are they currently filming a new season and if so what season would that be?
This was my all time fav reality show but I just haven't been able to get it for years now :( But I just saw a picture in a local group I follow and some are wondering if they are filming now?
I do not know if they are filming S36 but S35 wrapped in November and will air in the fall.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Okay. Someone posted about seeing pairs of people running around with big backpacks on their backs and film crews so he was wondering if they were filming AR or something.

As for Survivor I am so down to see Carolyn in the final!

eta... it was Amazing Race Israel.

Last edited:

sk8pics

I agree with what has been said about Carolyn —great move but put a target on her— except I still can’t stand her, and I like her less and less each episode.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I still don't think Carolyn has much of a pitch to the jury, perhaps the opposite. Aside from the lack of challenge wins, she's been vocal about being left out of the vote and people not listening to her all along. Sure, hiding her idol was good gameplay and surprising for such an open personality, but it's not enough, and when she did play it, it wasn't actually necessary (she likely didn't know that, but the result is still the same). There's a possibility that just her personality and relationships might have done it against the right opponent back in the day, but not now with two others to choose from.

That being said, was writing down Lauren's name and then scribbling it out a strategic move? To give the impression that Tika is not fully together? To make Lauren nervous? If it was just Carolyn being indecisive that's one thing, but I don't recall a ballot like that ever being shown before.

I too noticed the flames in Carson's glasses, but surely he's prepared for this like he seems to have prepared for every other aspect of the game. One thing I keep wondering about is why the voting table is a chess board, complete with pieces. Sure, just an expression of game play, but not very South Pacific. Wouldn't it be fun if instead of building fire at the end, they had to sit down and play a game of chess? :rollin: One might think it unfair, but what if during their interviews etc they did determine that all the players had some knowledge of the game coming in and no one was a tournament player (it would be a pretty normal question to ask for a show like this) and then it's been sitting there in plain sight the entire time. Probably won't happen, but fun to think about how it would go if it did.

I know a lot of you like Heidi, but at this point if she wins I will be disappointed. Not seeing enough confidence and real game play from her at all. I'm still rooting for Carson.

screech

That being said, was writing down Lauren's name and then scribbling it out a strategic move? To give the impression that Tika is not fully together? To make Lauren nervous? If it was just Carolyn being indecisive that's one thing, but I don't recall a ballot like that ever being shown before.
The most logical reason would be their concern that Danny and Heidi may both have had advantages, so putting another name to be 'safe'. And due to her counting and doing the math for so long, she was likely thinking of all the different configurations and possibilities of split votes or whatnot. Also maybe to prevent Lauren from having a 'perfect game'? She hasn't had a single vote against her yet. (Technically neither has Carson, as the votes against him were nullified this week). Everyone else has been voted against.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I wasn't really wondering why she'd want to vote for Lauren, more if there's a possibility that she did that on purpose - intending to vote for Danny the whole time - but thinking she could give others the impression that there were cracks in Tika, and/or to scare Lauren.

Also, I know that's often a badge of honour in Survivor, to have zero votes cast against you as an indication that you were playing such a masterful game that no one knew it. Then again, it might mean that you were never a threat because you weren't playing a good enough game, and either you could be gotten rid of at any time/a later date, or you're a good person to have in the F3.

screech

I don't regularly watch the show, and I may be making this up, but I thought that in the past there were times when previous voting records were used to break ties at tribal council - the tied person with the least cumulative votes throughout the season was safe, and the one with the most points throughout the entire season was the one eliminated.

tony

I don't regularly watch the show, and I may be making this up, but I thought that in the past there were times when previous voting records were used to break ties at tribal council - the tied person with the least cumulative votes throughout the season was safe, and the one with the most points throughout the entire season was the one eliminated.
Ties go to revote. Everyone votes besides the two who were tied. If they are tied again and no one is willing to change, those two become safe and everyone else is at risk with rocks.

I think the only 2 seasons where your scenario was the rule were Australia and Africa, because by 4, there was the purple rock that actually ended up getting played at the end of the season.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I think fire making has taken the place of rocks now.

I’m not on the Carolyn bandwagon, although I like her a bit more than I did at the beginning of the season. She’s still a bit over the top for me.

genevieve

Staff member
I think Carolyn makes great television, and may be really hard to be around 24/7 (or for some, at all). We certainly saw some of the non-Tika players show some exhaustion around her. For me, YY is similar, in that a little of him goes a looooong way, but the other players all seem to love him. Probably not a coincidence that Carolyn and YY get along so well (and fight, and then move past it).

I think it's funny that one (ultimately unnecessary) move would make everyone go from "Carolyn is clueless" to "Carolyn must be taken out right now" as we saw in the preview. I mean, Carson is still 100% the biggest threat, and people don't want to see it. YY mentioned it, and Carolyn seems to know it but knew she needed him at least one more vote, but we aren't being shown major discussion of how big of a threat he is, save the one conversation initiated by Danny.

One thing about Carolyn's use of the idol - although it didn't impact the outcome, it did show that she was strategic. That might sound contrary to what I just said, but there's still more work to do to give her any hope for winning in front of the jury. It's just setting the groundwork. On the other side, Heidi chose not to use her idol and received another 2 votes. I still think she's a good player but she's playing so close to the chest that she will have to spin the story of her moves, if she makes it to the F3.

At this point, the only people I think can't win are Lauren and Jamie. I keep forgetting Jamie's name - she got a lot of airtime at the beginning but barely any now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information