Stars on Ice U.S. 2018

skatfan

GKelly, were your questions ever answered?

SOI has become just a glorified US Nationals exhibition, which, in 2018, means a bunch of Olympics also-rans, with exception of Meryl and Charlie (from an earlier Olympics). Where are the true stars & winners of the Olympics, like the Russian Ladies, V/M, P/C, Hanyu, Javi, Uno, Aliona & Bruno, etc? That’s the sort of international line-up that we used to get from Tom Collins in the 1980s, even in the North American part of the post-Worlds and post-Oly tours.

The skating World changed. Japan now can pay enough to get the cream of the crop, Canada breeds its own champions, and Europe now has some high-concept shows at different times of the year. Russia has plenty of ice shows now too. It used to be that Champions on Ice in the US got all the eligible skaters, and SOI was for the retired-from-eligible competition skaters. That was a long time ago. If we'd only seen the US skaters then, we would have been ok in singles, and ladies especially, but sad in Dance and pairs.

The show is a 3-stop light rail ride away for me in San Jose, but not sure I want to spend the $ to see exhibitions I've already seen.

seabm7

Where are the true stars & winners of the Olympics, like the Russian Ladies, V/M, P/C, Hanyu, Javi, Uno, Aliona & Bruno, etc? That’s the sort of international line-up that we used to get from Tom Collins in the 1980s, even in the North American part of the post-Worlds and post-Oly tours.

For P/C, they are doing the Olympic gala tour in France during March/April. Usually, the French national team tour consists of just French skaters with minimal investment on the show quality. I assume it will be the same for the Olympic gala tour.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I'll definitely be going to SOI this year, but I have to agree w/ others that I wish they would revamp the format of the show. I'd really like to see some more international skaters. For example, I would have loved to see Virtue/Moir, Chan, Duhamel/Radford, Osmond, Daleman, etc., in this year's U.S. tour. And many, many other international skaters as well. I find it really a shame that the American and Canadian SOIs have gone to this national-skaters-only lineup. :( I do think it limits the appeal of the show--definitely for serious fans, and possibly for more casual fans as well.

Sylvia

TBD
The show is a 3-stop light rail ride away for me in San Jose, but not sure I want to spend the $ to see exhibitions I've already seen.
Last year, Nathan debuted a new show number at SOI ("Parachute") and many others also debuted either 1 or 2 programs on the U.S. tour.

Speaking of Nathan, he is so popular in Japan that he has been invited to do the first of two JSOI stops (Osaka) in late March before flying back to the U.S. for the start on the U.S. tour in Florida (April 6-8).

skatfan

Last year, Nathan debuted a new show number at SOI ("Parachute") and many others also debuted either 1 or 2 programs on the U.S. tour.

Ok, I’ll wait to hear what’s being skated before I decide not to go.

DreamSkates

The economic model for this sport is so broken. The sponsors of this tour need to do a major re-think of the pricing model they use. The post Olympic tour is the once every critical 4 year opportunity to attract a wider and expanded audience. There is simply NOTHING like seeing skating live and in person. The ubiquity of cell phones/youtube and the whole smaller/medium screen experience falls so short. Further, the bounty of positives with the skaters themselves - for the most part gorgeous, engaging, amazing athletes, smart, articulate, gracious. There is so much goodness to put on display.

Bus those learn to skate kids in with heavily discounted tickets for families who can show they are in learn to skate programs, so that parents of 5-15 year olds aren't looking at close to $200 just for a family night adventure they might not even know how much they could love (and that doesn't include parking, snacks, what have you.

Get those butts into seats. This is the season. Or regret it.

There. I've said my peace.
Send this to SOI via their contact info!

centerpt1

They dumped Jeremy Abbott this year, and I'd have to travel and stay overnight to attend. Not worth it to see who they have in the US. (Well, except Meryl and Charlie)

Sylvia

TBD
Adam has a new SOI program to "This Is Me" from The Greatest Showman.
I believe he is using Shoshana Bean's cover of the song with choreography by Travis Wall.

Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Karen Chen have new programs choreographed by Randi Strong: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgopsJCHTGw/?taken-by=randistrong

Nathan just debuted a new program to "Back from the Edge" by James Arthur in Japan.

ETA: Hubbell/Donohue may have had a new program choreographed by Samuel Chouinard before Worlds.

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
They dumped Jeremy Abbott this year, and I'd have to travel and stay overnight to attend. Not worth it to see who they have in the US. (Well, except Meryl and Charlie)

I remember seeing Jeremy's facebook (or twitter?) or something about needing new jobs (now that there are fresher faces in skating), and jokingly asked for suggestions.

quote: "Now with Patrick Chan’s retirement and Adam’s new found celebrity, it looks like my professional career is done. I sure enjoyed it while it lasted! Anyone have any yard work they need done?! "

skatfan

I remember seeing Jeremy's facebook (or twitter?) or something about needing new jobs (now that there are fresher faces in skating), and jokingly asked for suggestions.

quote: "Now with Patrick Chan’s retirement and Adam’s new found celebrity, it looks like my professional career is done. I sure enjoyed it while it lasted! Anyone have any yard work they need done?! "

I hope he’s been working out what he’ll do because this change of events can’t be a surprise.

jlai

Question everything
I hope he’s been working out what he’ll do because this change of events can’t be a surprise.

Transition from competitive skating is tough, though he did have 3 years after his last competitive season. Besides, Stars on Ice is only a month out of a year.

I think he is joking, so no need for crying emoticon. :)

I like Jeremy, but given that show skating isn't exactly the biggest money maker, I can't fault the organizers for keeping only who's currently high profile.

livetoskate

Did Jeremy go to college? It seems rare for skaters to have much of a pro career after age 30 though. It was surprsing to see Ilia Kulik skating in some shows in Japan in the past few years.

Sylvia

TBD
Jeremy is scheduled to perform in Skating Club of Wilmington in Wilmington, DE next weekend on April 6th and 7th.
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ril-6-7-with-guest-star-jeremy-abbott.103706/

First publicity Q&A that I've seen for the tour - Skater Nagasu can't wait to meet fans at Stars on Ice: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...tars-on-ice-amway-orlando-20180330-story.html

Davis/White were interviewed for this article (ETA new link with the better photo ;)): https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/201...ers-a-second-career-on-ice/1261522538559/ph2/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
UPI's Emily Pacenti wrote an SOI publicity article on Davis/White (now linked above with a better photo) and one on Nagasu published today: https://www.upi.com/Figure-skater-Mirai-Nagasu-revels-in-freedom-of-skating-on-tour/2841522672395/

Today is the first day of rehearsals in Fort Myers, Florida. Various skaters' IG stories show skaters either signing lots of SOI posters (Alex, Nathan, Jason, Karen) or being on or near the ice (Ashley, Mirai, Bradie, Adam, group numbers practice supervised by Jeff Buttle).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Anita18

It depends!
I'm crying, my sister is FINALLY on the Adam Rippon train 8 years after I tried to introduce her to him. :rofl: She was more into Charlie White when I showed her my pics from Skate America 2010, and to top it all off, she doesn't remember any of this AT ALL. :rofl: :rofl: (To be fair, Adam was not the super-fabulous self he is now, he was still in that boyish Renaissance cherub phase, but anyone with eyes would have figured he would have grown into a beautifully chiseled man.)

So since she missed out at Nationals where I sat on the shuttle with Adam and witnessed his chiseled pretty face and striking eyes in person, I am now taking her to Stars On Ice. Where she will bring binoculars. :rofl: But at least she can witness his :swoon: layback in person!

It'll be a fun girls' weekend since she's taking me to Taylor Swift the day before. :cheer:

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai's Instagram (IG) story is captured in this tweet (re-posting here from the Shibutanis' fan thread):
Saw this on twitter, love Mirai's nickname for Maia:

https://twitter.com/dailynathanchen/status/981228599377256448

Nathan = quad bae
Adam = media bae
Maia = beautiful bae
For those who don't have an Instagram account but still would like to view the IG stories, this Twitter account is capturing some of the clips from the U.S. SOI skaters: https://twitter.com/FSIgstories

Adam and Nathan landed side-by-side 3A in SOI practice -- Nathan included the clip in his IG story ("us homeboys still got it") and Adam shared it on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhHcoHFF-LQ/?taken-by=adaripp

"Body Language" was playing in the above clip -- that's Mirai's exhibition program this season.

3 photos from practice today (Ashley in foreground with Adam, Jason & Bradie behind; Nathan in front with Shibs in back; Zach mid-leap): https://www.instagram.com/p/BhH8z1igQAh/?taken-by=starsonice

Last edited:

shine

I hope he's joking. That would be so sad if SOI dropped Jeremy for Adam. To me there's no comparison between the quality of skating of these two skaters.

jlai

Question everything
I hope he's joking. That would be so sad if SOI dropped Jeremy for Adam. To me there's no comparison between the quality of skating of these two skaters.

Why sad? It's important that post Olympics skaters get a chance to make as much money as they can. That opportunity won't last forever, not for Jeremy, not for Nathan, and not for Adam.

I'm glad they spread the wealth, so many high level skaters get a shot to make a living, even if I think Jeremy glides better than some other skaters.

Sylvia

TBD
SOI tidbit from Nick Zaccardi's NBC Sports Olympic Talk blog (link was just posted in the Nathan / Yale thread):
While Chen figures everything out, he will be skating in Stars on Ice shows. NBCSN will air a Stars on Ice special on April 14 from 12:30-1:30 p.m. ET.
At Stars on Ice, Chen will participate in group and individual numbers, plus a special dance routine with Sochi Olympian and training partner Ashley Wagner alongside Olympian ice dance couples Meryl Davis and Charlie White and Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue.
“It really boggles my mind as we were working on it, trying to figure out steps,” Chen said. “It’s really fun to do because I’ve never done anything like it. Hopefully it will look all right on the ice.
“We’re going to be next to [Sochi gold medalists] Meryl and Charlie, so I’m pretty sure you’ll notice the difference.”
ETA: Meryl currently has a few IG stories up about this number from today's rehearsal.

Behind-the-scenes rehearsal clips (Charlie is :lol:): https://www.instagram.com/p/BhLA6HogEag/?taken-by=starsonice

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information