Skate America 2018 goes back to Everett, Washington

PeterG

Any other budget travellers going to Skate America? I was going to wing it and drive around to see if I could find a motel with a $39.99 sign out front. But I chickened out and just booked at the Sunrise Inn for $71.00 American per night. It's about a 15 minute drive to the arena. So if you've booked south of the arena and need a ride, I have three spots in my vehicle and I could pick you up if our schedules are similar.

The address of the Sunrise Inn I booked at is 8421 Evergreen Way. Their phone number is 1-425-347-1100. I believe you can cancel a booking with just 24 hours notice. And they have yummy free breakfasts, apparently:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sun...h=720#imgrc=qRg84w3LrlA3YM:&spf=1539114672641

AnnM

Anyone have any info about the Best Western Cascadia? Location looks good, but some online reviews describe the area as "rundown" and "sketchy." I already have a reservation elsewhere, but was considering switching to be more budget-friendly.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Anyone have any info about the Best Western Cascadia? Location looks good, but some online reviews describe the area as "rundown" and "sketchy." I already have a reservation elsewhere, but was considering switching to be more budget-friendly.

I have a reservation at the Best Western Cascadia. I didn't read all the reviews. Right now I am considering the Delta Marriott but not because the Cascadia is bad. The Marriott has great reviews, but I will be at the rink mist if the time so it seems wasteful to pay their high price.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

It's almost across the street from the Delta, the official hotel. I stayed there last time when it was the Holiday Inn. We walked to the arena a couple times during daylight hours and it was okay (I wouldn't do it by myself since there weren't people around), but that was ten years ago, so things could've changed since then.

AnnM

It's almost across the street from the Delta, the official hotel. I stayed there last time when it was the Holiday Inn. We walked to the arena a couple times during daylight hours and it was okay (I wouldn't do it by myself since there weren't people around), but that was ten years ago, so things could've changed since then.

Thanks! Turns out one of my friends will also be staying there, so I made the switch since I won't have to walk alone.

manhn

I stayed there when SA was last in Everett. It was *okay*. Not fancy at all but fine. I was not scared for health or safety.

I am staying kinda far away this time, as I could not find anything near the arena. Embassey Suites over in Lynnwood. 15-20 minute drive.

Anyone up for dinner Friday and Saturday nights? I think the evening competitions don't begin until 7 or 7:30pm.

SkateSand

Cat Servant

I stayed there the last time I attended SA in Everett. I walked back and forth every day by myself. It seemed safe.

nguyhm

I stayed there when SA was last in Everett. It was *okay*. Not fancy at all but fine. I was not scared for health or safety.

I am staying kinda far away this time, as I could not find anything near the arena. Embassey Suites over in Lynnwood. 15-20 minute drive.

Anyone up for dinner Friday and Saturday nights? I think the evening competitions don't begin until 7 or 7:30pm.
I will be staying at the Residence Inn in Lynnwood, which should not be too far from your hotel. Dinner any day would be a great chance to meet up.

Lutzcy

In the Skate America forum in Kiss and Cry, there is a suggestion for a FSU get-together. Here is a reply:
Proposal: Brooklyn Brothers Pizza, directly across the street from Arena (They sell by the slice all day) Not too expensive.
Saturday 5-7 between sessions. From the pictures, it looks like there is a second seating area in a room off to the side.
Anyone else have suggestions? Feedback, please?

topaz

I am staying at Red Lion Inn & Suites.
RED LION INN & SUITES EVERETT
1122 Broadway

Colleen

My friend and I are staying at the Hampton as well - keep an eye out for us, I love Bulldogs! We will be walking to/from the arena. I've never been there, so no great suggestions for restaurants - but a group dinner would be great fun!

nguyhm

In the Skate America forum in Kiss and Cry, there is a suggestion for a FSU get-together. Here is a reply:
Proposal: Brooklyn Brothers Pizza, directly across the street from Arena (They sell by the slice all day) Not too expensive.
Saturday 5-7 between sessions. From the pictures, it looks like there is a second seating area in a room off to the side.
I can never say no to pizza :cheer: I would like to participate. This will be my first FSU get-together.
I also found a Thai place not too far from Brooklyn but spicy food might not be for everyone (no offense intended). I would definitely check it out since I love spicy/Thai food especially if it will be raining when we're there. May be we can go there Friday evening before the start of pairs and men's short programs if anyone is interested.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Thanks! Turns out one of my friends will also be staying there, so I made the switch since I won't have to walk alone.

I will be at either the Cascadia or Delta. Haven't decided yet, but I would love some company to walk back at night.

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I'm down for a meetup! I am not the biggest fan of pizza, but anything convenient and with enough room and fast enough service seems like a great idea.

I Luv Bulldogs

My friend and I are staying at the Hampton as well - keep an eye out for us, I love Bulldogs! We will be walking to/from the arena. I've never been there, so no great suggestions for restaurants - but a group dinner would be great fun!

I'll be with my mom. Hopefully she is up for the walk and the rain holds off!

We've gone to many skating events, but have always been too shy to join the FSUers lunches/dinners. Perhaps we will for this event?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What kind of shoes should I wear? Does it rain a lot? I guess it is too early to bring snow shoes.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Sounds good to me. I am not big on pizza, but it will be ok.

Japanfan

What kind of shoes should I wear? Does it rain a lot? I guess it is too early to bring snow shoes.

It doesn't usually snow on the Pacific Northwest coast :) - certainly not in October.

Just wear your regular shoes or boots, and of course consider how much walking you are going to be doing.

It does rain a lot in the Pacific Northwest, so bring along a good rain jacket. I don't think you would need rain boots unless you were going to be walking in fields/grassy areas. But regular boots of any sort would be better than shoes in a heavy rain. However, lined boots for cold winters would probably be too hot.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It doesn't usually snow in the Pacific Northwest :) - certainly not in October.

Just wear your regular shoes or boots, and of course consider how much walking you are going to be doing.

It does rain a lot in the Pacific Northwest, so bring along a good rain jacket. I don't think you would need rain boots unless you were going to be walking in fields/grassy areas. But regular boots of any sort would be better than shoes in a heavy rain. However, lined boots for cold winters would probably be too hot.

I saw snow in the Seattle area last Christmas. It was beautiful.. :)

I have waterproof shoes from REI that I had used in California last year. I am thinking of bringing those. They are almost like sneakers and not warm.

Dee2e

I have a few questions.

I am booked at the Best Western Navigator Inn about 6 miles from the arena. My travel mate cancelled. I would be interested in possibly sharing the room. Two queen beds, kitchen/fridge/wifi/microwave. text me 407.421.7915.

Anyone know the parking rates at the arena?

I have one ticket in the 8th row for sale. (It's not mine, I'm helping a friend sell.)

Dobre

It doesn't usually snow in the Pacific Northwest :) - certainly not in October.

LOL, we have mountain ranges in the Pacific Northwest. It definitely snows. (Spokane gets a lot). But it very rarely snows in the Seattle area (which is why snow there makes the news if it does). One should always anticipate rain & be grateful when it doesn't. October trends toward quite nice.

Japanfan

LOL, we have mountain ranges in the Pacific Northwest. It definitely snows. (Spokane gets a lot). But it very rarely snows in the Seattle area (which is why snow there makes the news if it does). One should always anticipate rain & be grateful when it doesn't. October trends toward quite nice.

I meant 'snow on the Pacific Northwest coast' and have corrected my post.

I saw snow in the Seattle area last Christmas. It was beautiful.. :)

I don't recall snow in Vancouver last Christmas - often weather systems that hit Seattle hit us here too.

Snow is certainly beautiful to look at, but it's not so wonderful to have to live in a cold, snowy environment (makes driving fun) - especially when the windchill factor drops temps way way below freezing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I meant 'snow on the Pacific Northwest coast' and have corrected my post.

I don't recall snow in Vancouver last Christmas - often weather systems that hit Seattle hit us here too.

Snow is certainly beautiful to look at, but it's not so wonderful to have to live in a cold, snowy environment (makes driving fun) - especially when the windchill factor drops temps way way below freezing.

I have lived in Idaho, Kansas and Wisconsin. So I know what you mean. In Idaho in particular I really loved the snow. Driving was difficult but only twice in three years I decided to not drive. In Kansas my student car often did not start when it snowed so I ended up walking to school. :)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
They are showing $206 now for 10/19-22(earlier they showed $156) . It is $224 for 10/19-21, which is what I want.

I may consider. If I feel like splurging, I can still cancel the BW Cascadia reservation which is a lot less. It is for only two nights, so the difference won't be too much. I think the last event ends early evening on Sunday. I never like attending galas.

The Marriott website seems to be having problems. I tried to make reservation at the Delta and it asked me to sign as a guest even though I am a rewards member. So I made the reservation as a guest, using my credit card information, etc. and no receipt from Marriott! I had to cancel my BW Cascadia reservation because Hotels.com did not allow me to reduce my nights from 3 to 2. I plan on checking out on 10/21. So I turned to Delta and ran into a problem. Now I can't get the BWC on hotels.com because they are completely booked.

I will have to call the Marriott rewards tomorrow morning. I absolutely do NOT want to stay away from the arena. I have until 10/17 to cancel the Delta- that is, if they gave me that reservation. I have still not received an email confirmation.

ETA: I went back to hotels.com and found just one room available (obviously the one I canceled) so I grabbed it. Now I have to call the Marriott reservations in the morning (I am too tired to do it right now) to see if they made a reservation for me at the Delta, and ask them to cancel.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I may still need my winter jacket. It may be cold :)

Amtrak questions:

Do I need a reservation on Amtrak or do I just go to the ticket window, buy a ticket and sit anywhere?

Do they allow suitcases (bigger than carry on) on board? Or would I need to check mine before boarding and pick it up (i side the station) when I get to my station ? I will be going from Everett to Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information