Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

soogar

Speaking of long careers. Liza restored her quad toe.

Bigbird

Speaking of long careers. Liza restored her quad toe.
Always good to hear.

sus2850

What is Liza saying in the caption of her 4T Instagram post? Is it a joke or not? (my translation program comes up with something like „prospect of Armenia“)

DreamSkates

IMO Eteri was a voluntary tool in the hands of the system and I would not call her even a coach. Her goals were not the development of her skaters individuality or beauty of skating.

I would say...she rather (almost) succeeded to kill the soul of women figure skating. Though it is only my persona opinion.
The same system attacking Ukraine. Comes straight from the top leadership down to those who represent the country. Let me be clear -Putin wants to win at everything at any cost.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Anyone wondering if she might choose to represent another country to continue her competitive careeer?
She's there with Mishin & his coaching team, running a skating camp. I have no idea whether she is considering a country switch - and my guess is that any decisions on the subject won't be made until after the ISU Congress in a few weeks. Even if the ISU Council did supercede the RFSF and grant Russian skaters their releases, I would expect the requirement that they sit out at least one year of international competition is followed which would mean most top level skaters would miss the first half of the season. Liza's last international competition, for example, was Rostelecom Cup, so the earliest she could compete for another country would be... Golden Spin?

soogar

She's there with Mishin & his coaching team, running a skating camp. I have no idea whether she is considering a country switch - and my guess is that any decisions on the subject won't be made until after the ISU Congress in a few weeks. Even if the ISU Council did supercede the RFSF and grant Russian skaters their releases, I would expect the requirement that they sit out at least one year of international competition is followed which would mean most top level skaters would miss the first half of the season. Liza's last international competition, for example, was Rostelecom Cup, so the earliest she could compete for another country would be... Golden Spin?
I'm not sure it would even be worth it to her to switch countries. It seems that she has a lot of followers and commercial appeal in Russia. She is getting work in shows and I think her longevity and effort at competing with the teenagers gains her more popularity in Russia.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm not sure it would even be worth it to her to switch countries. It seems that she has a lot of followers and commercial appeal in Russia. She is getting work in shows and I think her longevity and effort at competing with the teenagers gains her more popularity in Russia.
Agreed, though she does have a lot of fans in Japan. It's hard to say what she's thinking, but she's at the stage in her life where moving on from competition might be easier than switching countries.

Sylvia

TBD
According to Coach Elena Buianova, "Alena [Kostornaia] has already been given new short and free programs. The director is Olga Orlova" (May 19):
Google translated excerpt:
In August, the coach and the athlete must decide on the continuation of cooperation on an ongoing basis.
“Talented people are very difficult in the training process, so I, as a coach, need time to understand Alena. While we are a new group for her, which gives her a new breath, we have everything new for her. And then a routine will begin in which everything manifests itself - and the readiness of the athlete, and the ability of the coach to work with the athlete. We have not yet reached this routine for various reasons, but I can definitely say: at the moment, only one thing worries me - Alena's health. I worry only because of him and very much I want it to be enough for major work. We can achieve real results only in this way, "Buyanova said.

Trillian

Very, very interesting interview with Evgenia Medvedeva.

Is she the first high profile Russian skater who hasn’t denounced the ISU ban? That was a pretty loaded “no comment,” IMO.

Trillian

She’s a smart cookie, trying to wend her way thru not angering either the domestic or international audience. I wouldn’t be surprised if friends from her time in Canada are warning her about just how negative the atmosphere is.

Most skaters I’ve ever encountered have always seemed to be pretty content in their bubbles. Medvedeva has always struck me as an exception, even pre-Canada. She’s open-minded and curious and been friendly with a lot of international skaters. I would agree that she probably has a much better sense of what’s going on worldwide now than a lot of other people in Russia right now.

That said, her position also seems pretty precarious to me because she still has so many endorsement deals, etc. in Russia. It’ll be interesting to see how she continues to navigate these conversations.

screech

Most skaters I’ve ever encountered have always seemed to be pretty content in their bubbles. Medvedeva has always struck me as an exception, even pre-Canada. She’s open-minded and curious and been friendly with a lot of international skaters. I would agree that she probably has a much better sense of what’s going on worldwide now than a lot of other people in Russia right now.

That said, her position also seems pretty precarious to me because she still has so many endorsement deals, etc. in Russia. It’ll be interesting to see how she continues to navigate these conversations.
I wonder if one of the reasons Medvedeva has had that open-mindedness has been her level of English fluency. It allows her to take in different information and news than some of her compatriots. Shcherbakova seems similar in that regard.

starrynight

Aliona’s response to (yet another) interview by a Sambo 70 coach calling her lazy:

I like this girl more and more lol.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Aliona’s response to (yet another) interview by a Sambo 70 coach calling her lazy:

I like this girl more and more lol.
The crazy orange wig is gone!

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist

barbk

Very interesting interview with Elizaveta Nugumanova.

Fascinating. I wonder if she has ever read Candide? I admire positive thinking, but it doesn't take a weatherman to see that this coaching situation is...unhelpful.

angi

Very interesting interview with Elizaveta Nugumanova.

Between this candid interview from Nugumanova and Sofia Shevchenko's candid interview earlier this week it seems like toxic coaching culture is among most if not all Russian coaches. Interestingly it seems like skaters are willing to be more open now and openly admit the abuse they endured and even point out times when their coaches sabotage their careers, I don't know why it's happening now in particular but I'm glad it's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information