Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliona22

Sonata

I have a lot of respect for Anna. She is the epitome of grace under pressure. She fielded that question at the press conference a few months ago about justifying why she should go to Olympics with poise. Then she won the Olympics and stayed classy while surrounded by high emotions and drama. She is constantly underestimated. Her interpretation of her programs tells me she has a lot of fire inside, but instead of getting drawn into the drama around her, she puts her head down and does the work. All this at just 17. I wish her much success in her next life.

Nadya

I mean, ridiculous. Us against the world. But at least Kamila will get some love. She probably thinks everybody hates her.
It may have been a workaround to give her a money package every Olympic medalist gets.

You can’t really blame Kamala for thinking everyone hates her when THE refrain of last week was “nobody wants you here.” It may be too much for a 15-year old to unpack the subtleties of that.

Rafter

It may have been a workaround to give her a money package every Olympic medalist gets.

You can’t really blame Kamala for thinking everyone hates her when THE refrain of last week was “nobody wants you here.” It may be too much for a 15-year old to unpack the subtleties of that.

It’s Kamila. Kamala is the Vice President of the United States.

skylark

I think when you have three skaters fighting for gold that you all coach the coach will be pulled in multiple directions.

I think given the winner is happy it’s okay if more focus is on the devestated ones
I don't. Anna was cheated, big time, by not having a thrilling moment with friends, loved ones, coach, someone to share the immediate joy of finding out that she Won. The. Olympics.

Watching the videos of Anna standing alone, being polite and caring, while Kaori screamed, was awful. Later, Trusova's tantrum?

When we raised our babies and toddlers, one principle we lived by was to give the child attention. Interact, talk, point out stuff, before they feel ignored and start to misbehave and then have a tantrum. Parents who don't do that end up rewarding tantrums.

It isn't a perfect parallel. But just because Anna didn't raise Cain, and basically acted like a caring human being, doesn't mean that she doesn't have feelings. Some sadness to process may in fact come later. Someone should have been with Anna, paying attention to the one who won and was behaving beautifully.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
video with Sasha Trusova:

Very short, but at least she is in a good mood now. I hope that the psychological trauma in this case will not turn out to be as deep and severe as it was in the case of Medvedeva.

translation:

"
I just really wanted to do five quadruple jumps, that was my goal, I'm glad that it happened at the Olympics, and I'm happy with my performance. For three years I tried to land these five quadruple jumps, and so far I have not succeeded in competitions, only when performing control skates in training.

Then I got injured, I had to recover, get in shape again, and I'm glad that I managed to jump [five quads]. I tried to reach the peak of my form for the Olympics. We prepared gradually, we had a plan that we followed in order to jump five quads in Beijing. From my mood, I can say that I did not experience any special feeling associated with the fact that this is the Olympics. As if it were some ordinary competition. It was not how I had imagined the performance at the Olympics before.

- And how did you imagine the Olympics before it started?

Thought there would be more excitement. But in fact, when I watched the 2018 Olympics, I was more worried than now. Of course, there were experiences, but not as strong as then.

-How many times have you wanted to quit figure skating?

Now I can no longer answer "Never." Everyone heard [my words] yesterday. So one time [I wanted to quit the sport]. This is all.

-Five quads is the ceiling? Or maybe more?

I think that there is no limit to perfection.

-How would you like to spend your holiday at the end of the season?

I want to go on a cruise on a ship. In Europe, or in America, but with dogs. On a big ship. I just once sailed for a day on a sea ferryboat - and it was very pleasant. But just a day.

-If there was an opportunity to start the Olympics again, what would you change?

Nothing!
"

Many people predicted a year ago that the "Zagitova-Medvedeva" situation would repeat itself again at the 2022 Olympics. That's just Anna was supposed to be Medvedeva, and Kamila - Zagitova. Who would have thought that Anna would be "in the role" of Alina ...
Great interview. Thanks for posting.

I love Sasha's openness. The moments after she won the silver, she was upset and she said a few things. Some people made a big deal of it. I knew she is just a 17 year old, who gets upset (adults do too) and I knew she will come around. Next day of the Olympics she seemed to enjoy herself. I am sure she will be happy to be home though,with her family.

I am sure she will love the cruise she plans to take.

Last edited:

Arch-

Not certainly in that way. Some strange story:

I think she said "Doping passed quickly". As in, she & the others tested onsite were able to give a specimen quickly. No one held up the line longer than expected.

- Career? About everything that will happen next, I will talk later. Rumors about not leaving the arena for a long time? Doping passed quickly. I went outside and waited an hour for the bus alone. Volunteers went looking for a car. I went to the skating rink for the Internet to use an interpreter. An hour later, the car was found.

Last edited:

Scott512

It will be interesting to see what happens next season to aliona Maya and Dasha. It will also be interesting to see if any of the other middle-of-the-pack but still very good Russian ladies pulls a Nastya and leaves to represent another country.

Scott512

Okay. Interviewer - Channel One journalist Pavel Zanozin. Further designated as Z. D - this is Daniil Gleikhengauz, A - Anna Shcherbakova.

Part 1:

Z: And now - the newly-minted Olympic champion, Anna Shcherbakova, is on our live broadcast! We have a unique opportunity to communicate with her. And Daniil Gleikhengauz, who also does not leave his beloved student at the most pleasant moments, and this is very cool. Friends, hello!

A: Hello!

D: Hello.

Z: I understand that there are not very many emotions now. Probably even less than you had yesterday, Anya, when you went out to reporters. You know, as if nothing special had happened - well, she became an Olympic champion, so what, the usual thing, right?

A: If I really realized this, then, probably, the emotions would be different. So far, it’s just that even the understanding has not come to me that everything has already happened ...

Z: Although at the end of the skating you still had this gesture (shows). Daniil also gave you to understand with a gesture that everything is fine. (to Daniil) Tell me, what did you feel at that moment, what did you think? I can hardly imagine how much nervous energy was expended.

D: The best feeling I want to have is when an athlete comes out and cleanly performs his program, and I understand that at the moment it would be impossible to perform even better. Therefore, when Anya finished her FS, I was proud that today, now, just like in the short program, it was perfect skating. And it happened at the Olympics, there were no mistakes, and I could not experience anything but pride, because all this is happening here and now - an unforgettable feeling.

Z: Before that, there was Sasha, and after that it was necessary to take care of Kamila ...

D: We have to change very quickly because that's our job. Emotionally it is very difficult, and I do not even want to delve into the question of how difficult it is to experience these emotions. As soon as our time in Kiss and Cry ends, after we hear the scores, I have to quickly switch, move on to another athlete and fully focus on the next performance. All other emotions will come later.

Z: Anya, after the announcement of the marks, you went to this green room and sat in the first place, watched Camila perform. We all watched [her performance] and wept. How did you feel at that moment? Your fate was decided - you could become an Olympic champion or just a silver medalist. Just a silver! Ha!

A: To be honest, at that moment I was completely immersed in my thoughts and, probably, I tried to convince myself, to understand ... I asked myself the question: “Do you even understand that your FS has just ended? This is what you have been preparing for so long.” And so I asked myself this question, do I understand what actually just happened. But at the same time, of course, I watched Kamila's performance and was very worried, because as an athlete I perfectly understand her feelings. After the first jump, it became clear that her skating was hard. I, as an athlete, feel the same, worry, and, of course, I was also very worried about Kamila.

But at the same time, there was such a strong devastation in me that I almost didn’t feel anything for myself. Probably, after the announcement of all the results, there was such a emptyness that the emotions seemed to have completely disappeared.

Z: All these days before the start of single skating, there was a lot of talk about Kamila. Everyone was talking about it, and the very fact that such a situation arose came as a shock to everyone. How did it affect you? Maybe the pressure on you has eased a little - on you and on Sasha?

A: To be honest, before the start of the competition, I was so focused on my skates and on some of my feelings and problems that I completely pulled away [from the situation with Kamila] and thought only about myself, because I also stroved to this moment for a very long time , I had a lot of my goals and ambitions, different experiences. Therefore, probably, before the competition, before my performances, all thoughts were only about my programs, about how I could show the best skating. Thus, before the tournament, this situation did not affect me.

Z: Even in a positive way, because…

A: No, I don't think it affected me at all. In general, I just prepared and continued to do it.
Honestly I wish I had half of Anna's focus. For her not to be thrown off balance by the KV controversy or Sasha's 5 quads just shows how special she is. It was an incredible duel between the 2 great Russians and then the monumental struggle and heartbreak from Kamila. I think all of us were stunned and sad at the same time.

Scott512

Wow the ladies event had the most bizarre ending of all. Why was Kaori so hysterical? Everyone except Anna behaved totally nuts
They are only human and they were pushed to the brink emotionally and physically.

I think a lot of it was 2 years of frustrations of having competitions canceled practices canceled being quarantined having to wear a mask going to the Olympics and be in a bubble for 2 weeks and in Sasha's case coming off a broken freaking foot to jump 5 quads in a Herculean effort for the gold only
to be basted by her friend and teammate Anya who does not get flustered by a damn thing.
It was incredible it was spectacular it was dramatic it was traumatic. I offer my thank you to all these athletes who gave everything and for putting up with the last 2 years because it has not been easy just in general life let alone being an elite athlete.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Russian Cup Final starts today. Then I think Channel Cup is 5th March.
Thanks. I found only the following online:

Nothing yet on Channel One’s Dobri Utro daily morning TV show…but today is the big men’s patriotic holiday (23 Feb - Defenders of the Fatherland Day - День защитников Отечества) so they’ll probably begin to advertise the March TV specials next week.

The first Channel One Cup Invitational seems to be scheduled to happen in Sochi on March 4-6, 2022, according to the above link, which gibes with Tobbe’s post.

Last edited:

Scott512

Evgeniafan

Thanks. I found only the following online:

Nothing yet on Channel One’s Dobri Utro daily morning TV show…but today is the big men’s patriotic holiday (23 Feb - Defenders of the Fatherland Day - День защитников Отечества) so they’ll probably begin to advertise the March TV specials next week.

The first Channel One Cup Invitational seems to be scheduled to happen in Sochi on March 4-6, 2022, according to the above link, which gibes with Tobbe’s post.
Do we know who is skating? Are Alina and Evgenia team captains?

Tobbe

I have mixed feelings about this Channel Cup thingy. The girls need some rest! I remember last year, Anna had her last ok skate at the CC and then was completely out of form at Worlds. It didn't matter though as everyone seemed off at Worlds.

But this jumping contest instead of a short program is asking for injuries to happen.

Alex_Fedorov

Banned Member
I have mixed feelings about this Channel Cup thingy. The girls need some rest! I remember last year, Anna had her last ok skate at the CC and then was completely out of form at Worlds. It didn't matter though as everyone seemed off at Worlds.

But this jumping contest instead of a short program is asking for injuries to happen.
Anna jokingly called this tournament the main start of the season. Yes, I also think that she could avoid from this event. At least today there was a message that Trusova did not plan to compete in the First Channel Cup.

I hope there will be no injuries, because this is still a show, not a real competition. The situation is somewhat complicated due to the fact that the meeting of the Olympians with Putin is also scheduled for March 4 - another unnecessary, but official event.

Cherub721

YEAH!
At least today there was a message that Trusova did not plan to compete in the First Channel Cup.

That's disappointing! Hopefully it means she plans to skate at Worlds. For Scherbakova, it could make more sense to skip Worlds and end the season at the Channel 1 Cup.

They should have done the event after Worlds. It only fit in last season because a lot of competitions were cancelled. Otherwise maybe they should make it something like the old pro-am shows in the US, where you are basically doing an exhibition with some easier jumps and getting a score. It would be cool if they mixed in professional skaters too. I would love to see something like a team of professional skaters against the current skaters, with day 1 being more technical and day 2 artistic.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I hope it is Trusova's choice. I know she has been battling an injury this season, so it would make sense.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I didn’t know where else to post this…so I came to the Russian women’s thread:

Today is Eteri’s 48th birthday, according to a number of tributes on Russian YouTube channels, such as -

I don’t want to speculate on possible gifts… 😉

Maximillian

RIP TA
I didn’t know where else to post this…so I came to the Russian women’s thread:

Today is Eteri’s 48th birthday, according to a number of tributes on Russian YouTube channels, such as -

I don’t want to speculate on possible gifts… 😉
And that's the age she admits to...

Scott512

Anna could be the EG lady that skates into her twenties at a high level but a serious injury could also risk all of that. There is absolutely no reason for this unbelievably successful ladies figure skater to even skate at this event. In fact if I was her agent or parents I would push for Anna to have the Olympic free skate gem that she pulled off right after Sashas staggering 5 quads to be her last skate of the season and that she should rest up and get stronger for the future.

We need to remember how beaten up this girl was at the World Championships last year.
And we've heard multiple times this season that Anna had an injured neck or an injured ankle or an injured knee. I say let this great ladies skater rest and I hope she has people in her ear like Alina and Zhenya to encourage that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information