Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
What you say is hard hitting and true. But I don't think the issue is with the athletes it's with the IOC that sold the Olympics twice in 14 years to Bejiing. The question is why? My guess is money.

We have 15 more days to go with these Winter Olympics let's hope it goes well.
I too hope it all goes well. My understanding is that the Olympics are pretty much a money loser for the host country.

No, U.S. athletes do not get paid to compete in the Olympics. They can receive money if they win medals during the Games, or through sponsorships and other benefits.2 days ago

US Olympic athletes don't get paid for competing - 13News Now​

https://www.13newsnow.com › verify › olympics-verify

About featured snippets

Feedback

People also ask

Do the Olympics make a profit?

Image result for does olympics make money

As the costs of hosting have skyrocketed, revenues cover only a fraction of expenditures. Beijing's 2008 Summer Olympics generated $3.6 billion in revenue, compared with over $40 billion in costs, and London's Summer Games in 2012 generated $5.2 billion compared with $18 billion in costs.

So profitable it is not. It is a huge stage however for all kinds of publicity and accolades for the hosting company. I think the athletes since they don't get paid, are funded by the host country. Again, not a moneymaker, but it garners prestige and publicity which stands the winning coaches and athletes in good stead. Of course, the opportunities were far greater, let's say during Tara's olys. There was the Pro Circuit. And Gala Performances at various locals.
Personally, I will not be watching. Not that it makes any difference to anyone but me. I just have to do that for myself. I also keep Kosher (in Northern California where there are about 5 Jews who do) I am just odd, but at least I know it.......well, some of it.
I also stand up for the National Anthem.......I know......it is kind of ridiculous......but it isn't.
Thought for the day: What you do when no one is looking defines your character in part.

Scott512

I too hope it all goes well. My understanding is that the Olympics are pretty much a money loser for the host country.

No, U.S. athletes do not get paid to compete in the Olympics. They can receive money if they win medals during the Games, or through sponsorships and other benefits.2 days ago

US Olympic athletes don't get paid for competing - 13News Now

https://www.13newsnow.com › verify › olympics-verify

About featured snippets

Feedback

People also ask​

Do the Olympics make a profit?

Image result for does olympics make money
As the costs of hosting have skyrocketed, revenues cover only a fraction of expenditures. Beijing's 2008 Summer Olympics generated $3.6 billion in revenue, compared with over $40 billion in costs, and London's Summer Games in 2012 generated $5.2 billion compared with $18 billion in costs.

So profitable it is not. It is a huge stage however for all kinds of publicity and accolades for the hosting company. I think the athletes since they don't get paid, are funded by the host country. Again, not a moneymaker, but it garners prestige and publicity which stands the winning coaches and athletes in good stead. Of course, the opportunities were far greater, let's say during Tara's olys. There was the Pro Circuit. And Gala Performances at various locals.
Personally, I will not be watching. Not that it makes any difference to anyone but me. I just have to do that for myself. I also keep Kosher (in Northern California where there are about 5 Jews who do) I am just odd, but at least I know it.......well, some of it.
I also stand up for the National Anthem.......I know......it is kind of ridiculous......but it isn't.
Thought for the day: What you do when no one is looking defines your character in part.
It sure is a money loser for the host nation according to what I just read.

I wish the athletes got paid. The Russian athletes get money and cars for medals I. hope it's the same with the American athletes.

AxelAnnie

It sure is a money loser for the host nation according to what I just read.

I wish the athletes got paid. The Russian athletes get money and cars for medals I. hope it's the same with the American athletes.
I think it is not. At least not outright. Used to be such a difference between amateurs and pros. And if you were an amateur you could compete in all the comps, but you could not get paid (wink, wink). I don't even know if they still have that distinction.
There also used to be Pro Competitions. Oh my, they were great. Then someone decided that the Amateurs should be able to compete. Brian Boitano predicted that this would be the end of the pro comp circuit, and it was. Reason: The amateurs had all the jumps and fancy tricks, which were easily identified by casual viewers. What the Pros had was the artistry and finesse....they were magnificent. Not saying it was whether good or bad.....but it certainly changed the landscape.

Scott512

I think it is not. At least not outright. Used to be such a difference between amateurs and pros. And if you were an amateur you could compete in all the comps, but you could not get paid (wink, wink). I don't even know if they still have that distinction.
There also used to be Pro Competitions. Oh my, they were great. Then someone decided that the Amateurs should be able to compete. Brian Boitano predicted that this would be the end of the pro comp circuit, and it was. Reason: The amateurs had all the jumps and fancy tricks, which were easily identified by casual viewers. What the Pros had was the artistry and finesse....they were magnificent. Not saying it was whether good or bad.....but it certainly changed the landscape.
In some ways it used to be better when you have the amateurs and pros separated. I think there may have been more money and figure skating and shows back then.

These athletes put so much into it I hope they can maximize maximize whatever money they can make.

Scott512

I really enjoyed those.
Anna is just fabulous. I hope she has a great Winter Olympics and that her free skate to close out the team event will matter and Russia will still be in play for the team gold medal. I think it will be cutting it very close whether Anna's free skate will matter. Remember 4 years ago we got to Zhenyas free and Canada had pretty much clinched the team gold medal at that point.

Also Anna just seems so genuinely likable and never causes a fuss and always has the right touch.

AxelAnnie

In some ways it used to be better when you have the amateurs and pros separated. I think there may have been more money and figure skating and shows back then.

These athletes put so much into it I hope they can maximize maximize whatever money they can make.
It is not just the athletes, but the entire family.
The OGM guy I know is still making money based on his medal (Not that he isn't wonderful - he is). For a while, people were paying an obscene amount of money to spend the morning or afternoon skating with him. You couldn't pay me enough to ski with him...........the disparity would be too ridiculous.

Good times.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Anna is just fabulous. I hope she has a great Winter Olympics and that her free skate to close out the team event will matter and Russia will still be in play for the team gold medal. I think it will be cutting it very close whether Anna's free skate will matter. Remember 4 years ago we got to Zhenyas free and Canada had pretty much clinched the team gold medal at that point.

Also Anna just seems so genuinely likable and never causes a fuss and always has the right touch.
Didn't Zagitova do the FS in the TE in Pyeongchang?

Scott512

Didn't Zagitova do the FS in the TE in Pyeongchang?
I thought she did the short program but either way by the time I came to the ladies free skate in the team of that four years ago the Russians were out of gold. It's a distinct possibility that could happen again. It's important that dance takes up a point on the American team in the free skate and the same with the pair's team to pick up a point on the Americans. Let's hope it comes down to the ladies free skate that would be super dramatic. It's also a possible scenario for the Russians to go into the ladies free skate to close out the team of that down two points and then I guess it would be up to Mariah to take second place in the free skate which would ensure the USA team gold. A lot of this will depend on who is skating the free skate in the ladies for Japan.

I am assuming that Anna will skate the free skate for Russia.

Scott512

Some wonderful vlogs from Anna Shcherbakova about how it is in Beijing

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZbrDllpTVE/

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZjNSkEpOCM/
Watching the videos again and while Anna is a charmer it's heartbreaking to see all the workers in the Beijing airport dressed in like hazmat suits. It's sad but I guess this is the future of the world and at any future world championship or Olympic competition in any sport you will probably see mask covered faces for the athletes until they are competing. I guess we have to get used to it. But it's sad.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Sometimes I wonder if Dick Button were commentating what he would find to pick on with some of these ladies. :lol: And I can just imagine Peggy... "she really feels this music..."

shuilee

WTF Kamila is doing the LP in the Team Event? OMG no substiutions at all. Kamila, SinKats and M&G are doing both events in Team Event. No team medals for Anna or T&M. :eek:

She's going to be Yulia Lipnitskaya 2.0. I hope she doesn't peak in the Team Event. Have a feeling Anna or Sasha could be this year's Sotnitkova and win Individual gold. Anna got her 4lutz back (so she'll have 2 quads). Sasha has 5 quads and well rested.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
WTF Kamila is doing the LP in the Team Event? OMG no substiutions at all. Kamila, SinKats and M&G are doing both events in Team Event. No team medals for Anna or T&M. :eek:

She's going to be Yulia Lipnitskaya 2.0. I hope she doesn't peak in the Team Event. Have a feeling Anna or Sasha could be this year's Sotnitkova and win Individual gold. Anna got her 4lutz back (so she'll have 2 quads). Sasha has 5 quads and well rested.

Of course. It’s all about winning and annihilating the competition. Поехали!
🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺

hanca

Values her privacy
Of course. It’s all about winning and annihilating the competition. Поехали!
🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺 🇷🇺
Maybe they want to make sure that they will make up any point loses caused by Davis/Smolkin doing the FD! At the moment Russia is ahead with three points. In pairs, it is expected that Russia will beat US pair so they will be ahead with one more point. Then if Davis/Smolkin skate, even if they were last, the maximum they can lose is four points, which would make USA and Russia equal. :pSo then if Valieva skates, it is given that they will win the team event.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Maybe they want to make sure that they will make up any point loses caused by Davis/Smolkin doing the FD! At the moment Russia is ahead with three points. In pairs, it is expected that Russia will beat US pair so they will be ahead with one more point. Then if Davis/Smolkin skate, even if they were last, the maximum they can lose is four points, which would make USA and Russia equal. :pSo then if Valieva skates, it is given that they will win the team event.

The final orders were posted. No substitutions…so no Diana Davis gold medal. Viki/Niki, M/G and Kamila skate tonight in the finals. As Tarasova just tweeted, “Russia is in it to win, not to spread medals around” (paraphrase).

carriecmu0503

It is confirmed that S/K are skating the free dance.

hanca

Values her privacy
It is confirmed that S/K are skating the free dance.
I didn’t mean what I wrote seriously. I just found it hilarious how some posters here were worried about Tutberidze’s daughter having olympic medal, so I couldn’t help myself to add to the speculations. I have to say that I am impressed by injured Katsalapov doing 4 programs at the Olympics. Let’s hope his back will last through that.

soogar

Shame they don’t sub the pairs. I think T&M could have beaten S&H in the short program and give Russia more of a cushion. Their elements and particularly twist are way bigger than the Chinese. I don’t understand why they don’t sub Anna for ladies since Anna is a rock. I don’t see the Japanese beating Anna. I hope they don’t burn Valieva pit but I guess that is the advantage of being 15 years old that she can do all these jumps over and over again.

alexikeguchi

WTF Kamila is doing the LP in the Team Event?

I don't really agree with not substituting Anna since even with a safe layout and 0 or 1 quad she would still beat everyone just like she did at Worlds last year. That being said, I don't think we're likely to see a Lipnitskaia/Sotnikova situation. Yulia was contending with a home Olympics, the assumption that she was the only Russian with gold medal chances, and a non-Russian gold medal favorite in Yuna Kim. Kamila does not have to worry about: 1) letting down the home team (or any) spectators; 2) the press since she is significantly sheltered due to the bubble setup; 3) carrying the sole hopes on her shoulders since Russia is pretty much a lock for gold in Ladies and will likely sweep the podium regardless of order. Finally, she seems to have been prepared much more completely for her frontrunner status. She looked a little nervy as a first year junior, but since then she has produced in every single high stakes competition. Based on her answers in numerous interviews, I think she has a healthy mental outlook and can stand up to the expectations.

Lilia A

Kamila won't be a Yulia 2.0, she's a lot stronger and this season she's been the definition of consistency.
I would worry about fatigue, but she has a full week and some change to rest and recover before the individual event.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
They can act like they have that tough mindset, but it's very convenient that their weakest discipline is the discipline that immediately follows the team event.

For the US, substituting men was necessary is Nathan may or may not be slightly injured. As for substituting dance it hardly weakened the team.

shuilee

I just realized why Kamila did both events. There's a lot of hype from media that she's the first woman to land a quad in Olympic competition. Had Anna or Sasha done the LP, it'd totally stolen her thunder. In hindsight, I see what the strategy is here. No wonder she didn't want to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information