Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilia A

They originally named Muravieva as third alternate (to Europeans at least), presumably not realizing that she wasn't age eligible. Then they removed her name but never replaced her on the list. So, they did plan to name three alternates I guess?

olympic

They originally named Muravieva as third alternate (to Europeans at least), presumably not realizing that she wasn't age eligible. Then they removed her name but never replaced her on the list. So, they did plan to name three alternates I guess?
Sounds like a redux of the USFSA and the women at 1984 Worlds, sort of. The USFSA didn't name ANY alternates IIRC :eek:

olympic

I remember. Zayak ended up being the lone US women’s competitor at that Worlds…AND won bronze. Witt the gold. “Mother of Arlet Levandi” won silver!
Yep. I remember Wide World of Sports (?) did a whole piece on it during the broadcast. They reported that Sumners decided to leave competition and Chin was injured, so Zayak was there alone because officials didn't name Jill Frost and Katherine Adams (?) as alternates. Wasn't a young Debi Thomas in the mix at the time? I think she was 6th-7th at National in 1984.

IIRC, Jill Frost had good skating skills and it's a shame she wasn't named to make a worlds team at least once.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Yep. I remember Wide World of Sports (?) did a whole piece on it during the broadcast. They reported that Sumners decided to leave competition and Chin was injured, so Zayak was there alone because officials didn't name Jill Frost and Katherine Adams (?) as alternates. Wasn't a young Debi Thomas in the mix at the time? I think she was 6th-7th at National in 1984.

IIRC, Jill Frost had good skating skills and it's a shame she wasn't named to make a worlds team at least once.
I believe Frost was 4th at '84 Nats and Thomas was 5th, I think Adams was 4th at '85 Nats. So conceivably Thomas could have made her Worlds debut in 1984, which was significant because in those days of figures, no U.S. lady ever finished higher than 5th in their Worlds debut, and in fact, IIRC, Thomas placed 5th at '85 Worlds. Basically, had she debuted a year earlier she might have placed higher (medalled?) at '85 Worlds.

DreamSkates

Thank you. I've been waiting for this. No surprises. I did think that Semenenko had a shot, but the RUS Fed. made the right choice.

Due to YKW and the lackadaisical attitude towards masks / crap vaccine in RUS, the alternates better be ready more than other countries.
I read that Kolyada has c….and is out of the Olympics. Wondering what might happen for the top ladies.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I read that Kolyada has c….and is out of the Olympics. Wondering what might happen for the top ladies.
Who are the 3 in the Russian camp affected by C? Assume Kolyada is one, who are the other two? ( as reported on twitter)

Sylvia

TBD
Who are the 3 in the Russian camp affected by C? Assume Kolyada is one, who are the other two? ( as reported on twitter)
Kolyada tested positive before he was scheduled to go to Krasnoyarsk - (ETA) the other three are in Krasnoyarsk already - refer to the Sport-Express article linked in the Kolyada WD news thread in GSD here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...laced-by-semenenko.109326/page-4#post-6175469

Tutberidze's group are still at their rink in Moscow as of earlier today (Tuesday).

Last edited:

olympic

^Holy Moly :eek:

Unfortunately, the disregard for YKW by TPTB in RUS is having a bad effect.

So, I guess Semenenko is in?

Scott512

^Holy Moly :eek:

Unfortunately, the disregard for YKW by TPTB in RUS is having a bad effect.

So, I guess Semenenko is in?
Can you explain what you were talking about with the initials? I know what RUS means.

Yes Evgeni is in.

Scott512

Top ladies? Wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to Beijing now they don't need a stinking training camp in Siberia with fifty other people counting coaches and doctors and nurses and skaters.

Scott512

Well the Russian ladies and gentlemen are off to Bejiing. Good luck and good health to all of them and to all the athletes for that matter. The stress of the olympics is massive and then you add the stress from C on top of it. I must off the charts tough. :eek:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Well the Russian ladies and gentlemen are off to Bejiing. Good luck and good health to all of them and to all the athletes for that matter. The stress of the olympics is massive and then you add the stress from C on top of it. I must off the charts tough. :eek:
I just hope it is all worth it. And, that it doesn't turn into a train wreck. It is such a ridiculous time. Seems like experts say up, then another one says down....and on and on. I wish them all well. What a mess!

Scott512

I just hope it is all worth it. And, that it doesn't turn into a train wreck. It is such a ridiculous time. Seems like experts say up, then another one says down....and on and on. I wish them all well. What a mess!
I was just writing someone the same sentiment you just wrote. It's up no it's down it's black no it's white it's a cat no it's a dog. Things are more confusing now than they used to be because we don't know who or what to believe. The science for C is not exactly an exact science. ;)

Annie you ask if it's worth it? They are athletes who give their lives to figure skating so I suppose it is. But it's hard to imagine them enjoying themselves and their experience at the Winter Olympics in China. It's really just a business trip for them since they aren't going to be able to see the sites or anything. They will go do their didcipline hopefully stay healthy and come home. It's the time we live in. Life is not great for regular people either.

I am sad Kolyada and other athletes will miss the Olympics because of C. I guess this is the new world and we have to get used to it.

AYS

🌻
I was just writing someone the same sentiment you just wrote. It's up no it's down it's black no it's white it's a cat no it's a dog. Things are more confusing now than they used to be because we don't know who or what to believe. The science for C is not exactly an exact science. ;)

Annie you ask if it's worth it? They are athletes who give their lives to figure skating so I suppose it is. But it's hard to imagine them enjoying themselves and their experience at the Winter Olympics in China. It's really just a business trip for them since they aren't going to be able to see the sites or anything. They will go do their didcipline hopefully stay healthy and come home. It's the time we live in. Life is not great for regular people either.

I am sad Kolyada and other athletes will miss the Olympics because of C. I guess this is the new world and we have to get used to it.
Science is never exact. That's why you have things like confidence intervals, standard errors, and prespecified criteria regarding how much uncertainty is acceptable in a testing situation.

Scott512

Science is never exact. That's why you have things like confidence intervals, standard errors, and prespecified criteria regarding how much uncertainty is acceptable in a testing situation.
True.

The testing situation is a concern in general and especially with these figure skaters because this is what they do.

Let's hope being in the bubble in Beijing helps these figure skaters skaters stay healthy and testing negative. They won't see much of Beijing during these games but that's the price they have to pay in these times.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

Annie you ask if it's worth it? They are athletes who give their lives to figure skating so I suppose it is. But it's hard to imagine them enjoying themselves and their experience at the Winter Olympics in China. It's really just a business trip for them since they aren't going to be able to see the sites or anything. They will go do their discipline hopefully stay healthy and come home. It's the time we live in. Life is not great for regular people either.

I am sure what you say is true. I have an Olympic Gold Medal (freestyle skater). I asked him a while ago if he would go, even though............"Well Yeah" he said. This was before Covid, and I don't remember what set of circumstances was in place.

Dealing with a group of athletes (not so much skating) who risk their lives just practicing....they are not going to miss the big prize.
I don't think the skaters think their skating is their job (it is...but isn't.) Kind of like school is your job. (Ah the good old days - now my job is my job....bummer).

There is a baseline risk for everything. (I just stole that line from the news). I guess we shall see.

BTW - even the TV coverage is all over the place.....it is here....no over there....well maybe up there.

I remember the OLYS where you could purchase a package for different sports or events. That was really great. (I think it was when Sarah Hughes won -funny story - my husband who does not follow skating was watching. In the warmup, he said 'Oh Sarah is going to win. HUH?)

screech

So one of my friends who likes figure skating but rarely watches asked me to recommend some skaters to watch on youtube in lead-up to the Olympics. Of course I included all the top Russian ladies in the list. Unfortunately she's not much of a fan of most. She said that Kamila's legs look 10 miles long and her extension is insane, and she has a maturity to her, but she didn't like her skating. She didn't love Trusova either, However, she did really like Anna and though she was really elegant.
Just an outsider's perspective :)

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
So one of my friends who likes figure skating but rarely watches asked me to recommend some skaters to watch on youtube in lead-up to the Olympics. Of course I included all the top Russian ladies in the list. Unfortunately she's not much of a fan of most. She said that Kamila's legs look 10 miles long and her extension is insane, and she has a maturity to her, but she didn't like her skating. She didn't love Trusova either, However, she did really like Anna and though she was really elegant.
Just an outsider's perspective :)
When I, as a teenager, showed skating to my non-skating friends it ended up with them gushing over Abt and Lutai, while laughing at Plushenko and Dom/Shabs for their Aboriginal OD :lol:.

Scott512

I am sure what you say is true. I have an Olympic Gold Medal (freestyle skater). I asked him a while ago if he would go, even though............"Well Yeah" he said. This was before Covid, and I don't remember what set of circumstances was in place.

Dealing with a group of athletes (not so much skating) who risk their lives just practicing....they are not going to miss the big prize.
I don't think the skaters think their skating is their job (it is...but isn't.) Kind of like school is your job. (Ah the good old days - now my job is my job....bummer).

There is a baseline risk for everything. (I just stole that line from the news). I guess we shall see.

BTW - even the TV coverage is all over the place.....it is here....no over there....well maybe up there.

I remember the OLYS where you could purchase a package for different sports or events. That was really great. (I think it was when Sarah Hughes won -funny story - my husband who does not follow skating was watching. In the warmup, he said 'Oh Sarah is going to win. HUH?)
The hubby was right about Sarah. But he did he predict her quitting so soon after? ;)

The Olympics are not what they used to be. But I will gladly root for athletes that have their careers hanging on by a thread and don't make much or any money. Money is one of the reasons I've soured on the big team sports in North America other than maybe the NHL. But I barely watch hockey anymore.

Also there are too many sports in the Winter Olympics and especially the summer Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information