Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Are they definitely going to raise the age limit after the 2022 Olympics, or is this just a desire of some fsuers who think raising the age limit will keep the Russian women from winning? They could be disappointed.
maybe but definitely not 18, even gymnastics its 16

so if there is age limit it will be 16 or 17. Even lets say its 18 and Russia will still win, moaners will probably want to raise it more to 20 arguing as 18 is not fully functional adult yet. lol

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Are they definitely going to raise the age limit after the 2022 Olympics, or is this just a desire of some fans who think raising the age limit will keep the Russian women from winning? They could be disappointed.
There was a proposal that was supposed to be considered at the ISU Congress in 2020, IIRC, but all of the major proposals were put off when the 2020 Congress was postponed until this past summer and then that was changed to a virtual meeting where they only dealt with the most pressing matters. If something does get adopted this summer, it wouldn't be implemented until at least the 2023-24 season, possibly the 2024-25 season, so I'm doubtful it would impact any of the current season's 13 yr olds.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Zayak was still 15 when she won her US sr natl title.

Peggy Fleming in 1964…still 15 when she won first sr US title & went to her first Olympics. I don’t recall any complaints.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Zayak was still 15 when she won her US sr natl title.

Peggy Fleming in 1964…still 15 when she won first sr US title & went to her first Olympics. I don’t recall any complaints.
Michelle Kwan was 15 when she won her first world championship. No complaints.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
When Peggy Fleming won her first national championship in 1964, it was because the entire US team was killed in a plane crash in 1961.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes there were.
IIRC the only complaints were-

Chen Lu should have won (I agree)
Michelle looked like she is wearing her mother's dress (I don't agree)

I don't recall complaints that 15 year olds should be banned from competing Because their bodies are still thin (so they can jump).

I say if they can skate and compete at that level, let them compete, regardless of age.

skatingguy

decently
IIRC the only complaints were-

Chen Lu should have won (I agree)
Michelle looked like she is wearing her mother's dress (I don't agree)

I don't recall complaints that 15 year olds should be banned from competing Because their bodies are still thin (so they can jump).

I say if they can skate and compete at that level, let them compete, regardless of age.
The rules put in place for 1998 would have kept Kwan from winning those World Championships because she would have been too young. Tara Lipinski competed at the 1996 World Championships at least in part to get a bye from the age restrictions.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Why stop at 15, then? Eight-year-olds are generally smaller and faster than 15-year-olds, so why not let them compete too?

Part of the reason for age limits is to try to create a level playing field - well, as much as is possible - and also to recognize that competing at that level is pretty much a full-time job and is physically demanding. There are workplace laws that set minimum ages for kids to work certain hours or in certain types of work. IMO age limits in sports are trying to offer the same kind of protection for young people.

Last edited:

mtnskater

I’ve been super happy with the age limit of 16 for women’s gymnastics. At the Tokyo Olympics the U.S. had two women age 24 on the team! I was previously alienated from the sport when it seemed for a period to be mostly prepubescent girls. I would be totally fine for skating to bump it up to 16.

Karen-W

Here is what I have to say about age minimums... if these women are so great at 15 with their quads and 3As and their technique is so sound and fabulous that they're unbeatable, then their technique should be able to tide them over another year until they are 16. It won't hurt them to wait a year to compete on the senior level and start beating everyone there, will it?

Tobbe

Can't believe I am posting in here :p

Qualification Russian Nationals Women (6 spots available via Russian Cup*)
Final Standings

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-19-um-15-02-26.png

Green - Nationals spot secured by Grand Prix entry
Purple - Nationals spot secured by JGPF qualifcation
*dependent on participation of JGP-finalists

---

Morozova is one lucky girl.
Ouch for Gulyakova and Molchanova.
Looks like Akateva will NOT be at senior nationals after all. So it opens up for Gulyakova to also qualify.
And if Usacheva won't be there the spot goes to Sviridenko.

Primorskaya

Here is what I have to say about age minimums... if these women are so great at 15 with their quads and 3As and their technique is so sound and fabulous that they're unbeatable, then their technique should be able to tide them over another year until they are 16. It won't hurt them to wait a year to compete on the senior level and start beating everyone there, will it?
THIS so much! Is waiting a year really going to kill them/ the sport?

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Its true it wont imapct anything raising to age 16,

some people asking for 18 or even 20. Not gonna happen.
Swimmers can sim at 15, gymnastics 16
Sky Brown from Skateboarding won Olympics gold at 13 years old. ;)

Karen-W

Shcherbakova certainly has that killer competitive instinct but this is the 2nd time now that she's scored lower than Liza's lowest score this season. I don't see how anyone can consider her a lock for the Olympic team over Liza. And, until we see Sasha skate again (if she makes it to Russian Nats), it's hard to have her ahead of Liza or Anna.

Right now - 1) Kamila, 2) Liza, 3) Anna, 4) Sasha, 5) Maiia, 6) Aliona

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Shcherbakova certainly has that killer competitive instinct but this is the 2nd time now that she's scored lower than Liza's lowest score this season. I don't see how anyone can consider her a lock for the Olympic team over Liza. And, until we see Sasha skate again (if she makes it to Russian Nats), it's hard to have her ahead of Liza or Anna.

Liza recently got sick, although not as bad as in 2018, still might impact her consistency

Trusova is a question mark but if she can land at least 3 quads she will pass Tuk, the only thing going for Tuk now is consistency
remember Tuk has a ceiling 82-83 SP and 153 FS this is the max for the current jump layout. We wll find out soon during Rostelecom her current state.

1 Kamila 2 Anna 3 Lisa 4 Aliona 5 Maia 6 Trusova ?

Aliona improved from her first outing the 3Axel is still nowhere consistent but Kromykh gets no love from judges
if she cant land her quads she gets low scores. Trusova is at the bottom coz we dont know her current state. she is shafted way back, for now.

Karen-W

Liza recently got sick, although not as bad as in 2018, still might impact her consistency

Trusova is a question mark but if she can land at least 3 quads she will pass Tuk, the only thing going for Tuk now is consistency
remember Tuk has a ceiling 82-83 SP and 153 FS this is the max for the current jump layout. We wll find out soon during Rostelecom her current state.

1 Kamila 2 Anna 3 Lisa 4 Aliona 5 Maia 6 Trusova ?

Aliona improved from her first outing the 3Axel is still nowhere consistent but Kromykh gets no love from judges
if she cant land her quads she gets low scores. Trusova is at the bottom coz we dont know her current state. she is shafted way back, for now.
Originally I had Aliona above Maiia on my current list but Aliona has yet to score higher than Maiia's lowest score this season and they've both had issues. I just don't think Aliona is ahead of Maiia right now. We'll see how Maiia does at Warsaw Cup in a few hours - first event where she is the clear favorite going in and no one of any note chasing her from behind.

angi

Maiia just skated a 124.78 FS at the very generously scored Warsaw Cup. I wouldn't eulogize Aliona just yet.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Maiia just skate a 124.78 FS at the very generously scored Warsaw Cup. I wouldn't eulogize Aliona just yet.
LOL, oh, I just saw her skate and was coming here to post that she's definitely not going to the Olympics (or Euros). That performance, in what should have been a cakewalk competition for her, rules her out. A couple of others thought she might have injured herself on the fall of her 2nd 4t. If that's the case, she might not make it to Rostelecom next week, which will then take her out of the running for the GPF.

Current hierarchy - 1) Kamila, 2) Liza, 3) Anna, 4) Sasha, 5) Aliona

Last edited:

Scott512

Are they definitely going to raise the age limit after the 2022 Olympics, or is this just a desire of some fans who think raising the age limit will keep the Russian women from winning? They could be disappointed.
I am not sure. But if valieva wins Olympic gold at 15 the push to raise the age. If the winner is Anna Sasha or Liza wins Olympic gold people will relax.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
LOL, oh, I just saw her skate and was coming here to post that she's definitely not going to the Olympics (or Euros). That performance, in what should have been a cakewalk competition for her, rules her out. A couple of others thought she might have injured herself on the fall of her 2nd 4t. If that's the case, she might not make it to Rostelecom next week, which will then take her out of the running for the GPF.

ahem, as I said Kromykh without quads is am empty shell, she gets low scores without it and shes not consistent with it either.
maybe Tutberidze will be re calibrating their strategy after her students all bombed the ultra C recently, Kromykh just needs 1 quad I think to beat Loena for bronze in Rostelecom. if Kromykh finishes 4th, is 4th and silver enough to make the GPF ?

Tuk is safe for now. Kostornaia is improving, we will get a better picture at the GPF

Karen-W

ahem, as I said Kromykh without quads is am empty shell, she gets low scores without it and shes not consistent with it either.
maybe Tutberidze will be re calibrating their strategy after her students all bombed the ultra C recently, Kromykh just needs 1 quad I think to beat Loena for bronze in Rostelecom. if Kromykh finishes 4th, is 4th and silver enough to make the GPF ?

Tuk is safe for now. Kostornaia is improving, we will get a better picture at the GPF
Should be?

Shcherbakova - 30 pts
Valieva - 30 pts
Tuk - 26 pts
Sakamoto - 24 pts (4th & 1st)
Kostornaia - 24 pts (3rd & 2nd)

Khromykh - 22 pts (2nd & 4th)
You - 22 pts (3rd & 3rd)
Hendrickx - 22 pts (3rd & 3rd)

The bigger question is whether or not Khromykh is injured. If so, there's no guarantee she'll even be able to manage 4th next week, even with generous skating at home scoring.

Scott512

1 - Kamila Obvious. But I dont fully trust her yet like the Scherb.

2 - Anna too much winning and clutch gene to ignore. And she always beats Liza h2h. Sometimes by alot like at rusnats last 3 years.

3 - Liza Sasha Health will be vital.

4 - Aliona Maya Not out of it yet. Long shots at this point. AK not firing on her 3A is holding her back. She has to do 3A at GPF SP or I will be disappointed.

It should be exciting to see it all unfold. Frustrating too.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I follow Zagitova on IG and I just have to comment on what a stunningly beautiful young woman she's turned into. The camera loves her. Both she and Medvedeva seem to have found a post competitive career that suits them very well.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I follow Zagitova on IG and I just have to comment on what a stunningly beautiful young woman she's turned into. The camera loves her. Both she and Medvedeva seem to have found a post competitive career that suits them very well.
Med though is more ambitious, she has appeared in talk shows, sports commentator, ice shows, tv commercials, appeared in russian red carpets.
Zagitova though still has PUMA and a host in some ice show, Zagitova looks to have gained massive weight and became bloated. while Med stayed lean and healthy skinny looking.

All in all, Med wins the post Olympics career and body look wise.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
:rofl: Yeah, Zagitova looks bloated. Right. You really are delusional.
its not her fault, its genetics and predetermined, some people are just built lean so even after a high career regimen they still maintain their built, while others once they stop at something they become bloated, its happens in all sports even gymnatsics, swimming look at Aliya Mustafina, Cheng Fei, Missy Franklin etc.

Medvedeva won the genetics lottery like Shcherbakova

pointbleu

its not her fault, its genetics and predetermined, some people are just built lean so even after a high career regimen they still maintain their built, while others once they stop at something they become bloated, its happens in all sports even gymnatsics, swimming look at Aliya Mustafina, Cheng Fei, Missy Franklin etc.

Medvedeva won the genetics lottery like Shcherbakova
This whole two last posts make me think young women are lucky to have you around.

Zagitova has gorgeous shapes. She is not a stick figure and guess what, that’s what most men love. She is fit, firm, but no child.

I love Med but she has been known for having eating disorders and still look 5 years younger than she is really. Someone people are built smaller than others, of course, but I just hope she doesn’t put too much pressure on her body image, just like you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information