Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Honestly, I'm not sure but that they won't wind up with a 60-day ban and strip ROC of the team gold. The only person who will lose out on an Olympic medal in that scenario is Kondratiuk and he's young enough to have a shot at one in 2026. If she's found guilty, there is no way the IOC is going to stand for her becoming an Olympic champion and they will appeal.
Except that she was already treated with kid gloves by CAS, so I feel like the IOC won't want to fight it anymore if she's given a slap on the wrist at least.

Except that she was placed fourth. I am sure that the skaters who finished behind her in the overall standings would prefer one place higher. Making the top ten sounds a heck of a lot better than finishing eleventh.
I don't disagree, I just think you'll be hardpressed to find a federation who wants to fight for their skater to move up one non-medal winning spot.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Except that she was already treated with kid gloves by CAS, so I feel like the IOC won't want to fight it anymore if she's given a slap on the wrist at least.
The difference is that CAS was dealing with an investigation that hadn't been completed by RUSADA and the revelation of her identity despite being a "protected person" while the investigation was ongoing. I think, if she's found guilty, even if it is because of :grandpa:, the degree of punishment, especially with an Olympic medal on the table, is not going to be treated with the same kid gloves that we saw in February.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
The difference is that CAS was dealing with an investigation that hadn't been completed by RUSADA and the revelation of her identity despite being a "protected person" while the investigation was ongoing. I think, if she's found guilty, even if it is because of :grandpa:, the degree of punishment, especially with an Olympic medal on the table, is not going to be treated with the same kid gloves that we saw in February.
I like your optimism and hope you are correct.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I know I did the research during the Games, but can't remember specifics of what I found. Berezhnaya was banned for three months in 2000 for pseudoephedrine- something that carried a harsher penalty than what Valieva would likely get IIRC. Match that with Valieva being underaged, and I can't see them giving more than one month.

coppertop1

Valieva's career was over before she even had a chance, thanks to Russia and its doping. I feel sad for her. She's the scapegoat.

The more Russia beats the tired old drum of "You'll never make it without me!", the more it shows they need to be banned for a long time. Keep trying to gaslight us, it's not working.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Honestly, I'm not sure but that they won't wind up with a 60-day ban and strip ROC of the team gold. The only person who will lose out on an Olympic medal in that scenario is Kondratiuk and he's young enough to have a shot at one in 2026. If she's found guilty, there is no way the IOC is going to stand for her becoming an Olympic champion and they will appeal.
And Valieva.

So maybe not kid gloves, but satin gloves? ;)

I see them striking a middle ground between the travesty at the Olympics and a typical adult punishment. And I still think Eteri's neck is on the table. She'd be a National Hero if they fired her and get plenty of work while Sambo-70 gets rid of someone that brings them a lot of negative attention. They could, of course, blame it on a lower-level staff member and save her. But Valieva got that drug somewhere and we know it's not scientifically possible it came from :grandpa:

Trillian

History shows us it is never just one athlete.

Of course not, but I can’t imagine any official RUSADA finding that doesn’t frame it as an isolated incident. They can’t find Eteri at fault unless they’re willing to call years of medals into question and open a conversation about how much further the issue might extend, and they’re not going to do that.

I agree with those who expect a penalty in the 30-day neighborhood, but I don’t see it being well-received by the international community. There might be only three countries with medals on the line in this case, but plenty of others who know they’ve probably been screwed over by other instances of Russian doping or will be in the future. There will be broader support for an appeal.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
And Valieva.

So maybe not kid gloves, but satin gloves? ;)

I see them striking a middle ground between the travesty at the Olympics and a typical adult punishment. And I still think Eteri's neck is on the table. She'd be a National Hero if they fired her and get plenty of work while Sambo-70 gets rid of someone that brings them a lot of negative attention. They could, of course, blame it on a lower-level staff member and save her. But Valieva got that drug somewhere and we know it's not scientifically possible it came from :grandpa:
Been away for a while and just LOVING the “grandpa coughed/sneezed” (whatever the story is) emoji…

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I, too, have always believed that Valieva will be given a suspension that conveniently costs her the Euros title and the Russian title but ends before the Olympics. I think there will not be widespread acceptance, but I do think it will be upheld. 100% I think Russia will present Valieva as an isolated incident, and possibly an accident. Certainly nothing widespread.

carriecmu0503

Valieva will not be at the next Olympics. None of Tutberidze's girls have made it through two Olympics. Not even Medvedeva.
That was always because the next new hot 15 or 16-year-old was coming up and pushed them out of the way. At the next Olympics, skaters will have to be 17 as of July 1 of the previous year, meaning nearly 18. Some skaters will be 21 at their first eligibility to compete at the Olympics, if their 17th birthday is after July 1 of an Olympic year. Because of this, Valieva, who will be 19 at the time of the next Olympics, very well could be there. A lot of the Russian children who would have been aiming for 2026 will no longer be age eligible.

coppertop1

That was always because the next new hot 15 or 16-year-old was coming up and pushed them out of the way. At the next Olympics, skaters will have to be 17 as of July 1 of the previous year, meaning nearly 18. Some skaters will be 21 at their first eligibility to compete at the Olympics, if their 17th birthday is after July 1 of an Olympic year. Because of this, Valieva, who will be 19 at the time of the next Olympics, very well could be there. A lot of the Russian children who would have been aiming for 2026 will no longer be age eligible.
It's not her age or age limits it's that their technique isn't sustainable and they usually have major injuries that force them into retirement

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

It's not her age or age limits it's that their technique isn't sustainable and they usually have major injuries that force them into retirement
Zagitova absolutely could’ve been at the last Olympics. She didn’t have quads, so was forced out by the new younger ones. She could not compete with their technical content. Additionally, raising the age limit may mean mean these little tiny 15 and 16-year-olds may not be doing quads anymore since most females probably won’t be able to do them by 18 anyways. Even if they do continue to do the quads at that age, they will be limited to junior worlds. It will be interesting to see how things change regarding quads and the women’s event.

caseyedwards

Russians arent going to be in the Olympics in 2026! Possibly never again!

There is also no reason why skating careers should last more than one Olympics. Why should they? Why is something wrong if they don’t

Quads are already eliminated from womens skating it looks like triple axels are also on their way out

Last edited:

Ena Grins

I would be really, really surprised if Tutberidze or the other coaches are found to be in any way responsible. Not because they're innocent (I don't think there's any way they could be) but because they'll make Valieva the scapegoat and protect their "long-term" investment - the coach.

I wouldn't mind that if Russia is at the next Olympics, we see Kamila there. Even without quads she was a truly talented, lovely skater. She doesn't deserve what the adults in her life have put her through.

barbarafan

I would be really, really surprised if Tutberidze or the other coaches are found to be in any way responsible. Not because they're innocent (I don't think there's any way they could be) but because they'll make Valieva the scapegoat and protect their "long-term" investment - the coach.

I wouldn't mind that if Russia is at the next Olympics, we see Kamila there. Even without quads she was a truly talented, lovely skater. She doesn't deserve what the adults in her life have put her through.
She is basking in her new found fame and glory. After all rules do not apply to Russia. No one has the right to give them rules. She is having the time of her life but she will wear the Z forever. I do not foresee any figureskating future for her outside of Russia. Even if the ban at some point ends I think any skater who openly makes motions approving the Ukraine Slaughter/Genocide should not be given visa's to enter any other country. They do not have to give a reason why.

Ena Grins

She is basking in her new found fame and glory. After all rules do not apply to Russia. No one has the right to give them rules. She is having the time of her life but she will wear the Z forever. I do not foresee any figureskating future for her outside of Russia. Even if the ban at some point ends I think any skater who openly makes motions approving the Ukraine Slaughter/Genocide should not be given visa's to enter any other country. They do not have to give a reason why.
Fair enough! I'm not arguing skaters who have attended political rallies or explicitly supported Putin should get a free pass back into competition. I guess I'm wanting to believe the really young skaters we're seeing doing that are responding to political pressure/terrible adult influence more than anything else. I still place the majority of the blame on those adults.

Willin

Just looking at the way the Russian media promotes the coaches over the skaters - especially with Eteri - makes it pretty obvious that the coach is the actual important person. Even in the test skates preview it is framed as a coaching matchup, not a skating event with skaters.

puglover

Now that we are some distance away mentally and emotionally from the Olympics, this whole thing just becomes sadder and sadder to me. Whether Valieva finds some sense of enjoyment out of her Olympic experience or not, one has to believe this is not what she had hoped for. Such a talented and beautiful skater, those whose hands are dirty in this deserve real torment in their private thoughts. Of course, for all those skaters who trained and competed cleanly, I can't imagine their dismay.

Japanfan

Fair enough! I'm not arguing skaters who have attended political rallies or explicitly supported Putin should get a free pass back into competition.
Is there a basis written in policy for banning such skaters from competitions?

Japanfan

Whether Valieva finds some sense of enjoyment out of her Olympic experience or not, one has to believe this is not what she had hoped for.
I can't imagine she finds any enjoyment in her experience. To the contrary, I expect it was very traumatic. She must have been expecting fame and fortune, and instead she got tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information