Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Russia may want to resolve this sooner while the sympathy for Valieva is still fresh and she is still under 16? But, I'm not betting on it being resolved by Worlds.
The only way Russia resolves this before next month is if they are victorious and I don't see WADA lying down and taking it. This is going to be a long, drawn out matter.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Why not? The IOC allowed USAG to reward the American women the 2000 Olympic bronze medals that were stripped from China during the 2010 National Championships.

Did something change?
It's a different situation because the proposal was to bring in the skaters from other countries to a ceremony at US Nationals. If it was just medals for the US team, that might happen.

VGThuy

It's a different situation because the proposal was to bring in the skaters from other countries to a ceremony at US Nationals. If it was just medals for the US team, that might happen.
I thought the original post was about doing it for the US Team specifically but maybe I’m reading it wrong. It’s been a long Olympics.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I thought the original post was about doing it for the US Team specifically but maybe I’m reading it wrong. It’s been a long Olympics.
See below:

If I was in charge of the USFS, I would have a special part of the 2023 Nationals gala to hold a medal ceremony for the US Olympic Team Event medalists. I would invite the entire Japanese and Canadian teams as well (even if they don't get upgraded to bronze, heck, US Nats has a 4th place spot on the podium).

VGThuy

See below:
I know what happened. I was going by allezfred’s quote of that post (who must have added more which is what you quoted) because they only said for the US team in the part allezfred quoted here:

If I was in charge of the USFS, I would have a special part of the 2023 Nationals gala to hold a medal ceremony for the US Olympic Team Event medalists.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
According to the rules that @overedge posted, they could do it at US Nationals, if it is a National Olympic Committee event, and there is no way USFS will cede US Nationals and any jeopardize any TV money by affiliating the competition with USOC :EVILLE:.

The other option is a private ceremony at US Nationals, which would be the opposite of public recognition.

I'd insist on Paris, because, Paris.

Karen-W

According to the rules that @overedge posted, they could do it at US Nationals, if it is a National Olympic Committee event, and there is no way USFS will cede US Nationals and any jeopardize any TV money by affiliating the competition with USOC :EVILLE:.

The other option is a private ceremony at US Nationals, which would be the opposite of public recognition.

I'd insist on Paris, because, Paris.
I agree, I don't think US Nats will be an option if only because it could jeopardize the TV rights. And there's no way that the US would opt for a private ceremony.

Paris... Well, that could be wonderful but that's nearly 2.5 years away and I'd rather see them get their medals sooner rather than later.

I'd probably go with Worlds or 4CCs next year - would getting your Olympic medal in sunny Sydney during February be enough of an enticement to all the retired/quasi-retired North American-based skaters even with the long travel time involved?

Former Lurve Goddess

There is no such thing as "ethnic" Muslim. Tatars are culturally Muslim. No practicing, observant Muslim family would have a daughter in figure skating.
That's bs. I (adult) skated with some young women who wore hijabs. Plus I know several left-wing LGBTQ feminist Muslim women (who generally do not wear hijabs or dress "modestly" but are still observant) who would most certainly be happy to have figure skating daughters.

Japanfan

I think the Russian pairs all understood that if all skated clean, the Chinese pair would win since it was held in China. Moskvina mentioned that in an interview.
Except S/H made a mistake. I wasn't so sure they had the gold, but thrilled to see them win gold on home ice. Except for the mistake the program was spectacular, and that 4T was amazing.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Do the ISU rules require that all of the medals be awarded together at the same ceremony? Are they footing the bill for all of the travel?

bcash

I thought the medal awarding ceremony was to be organized by the IOC? At least the initial press release mentioned something like that (dignified ceremony by the IOC for all athletes involved)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Because it’s not just the US team who haven’t received their medals.

Do the ISU rules require that all of the medals be awarded together at the same ceremony? Are they footing the bill for all of the travel?

Based on the posted rules, it sounds like each athlete has a choice and the medals are not necessarily all together.

Rob

Beach Bum
But CAS did rewrite the WADA Code. Where a "protected person" is treated differently from other athletes, the WADA Code is very specific. First, a "protected person" is subject to different final penalty provisions -- ranging from reprimand to two-year ban (other athletes face four-year bans). Second, a "protected person" does not have the same burden of proving they do not have "significant fault" for the doping. An adult athlete must prove: (1) the drug was ingested unknowingly; and (2) how the drug got into their system. A "protected person" does not have the burden of proving the second part, though Valieva's team had offered an explanation (albeit, a ludicrous one). Third, a "protected person" is not subject to the mandatory disclosure provisions of the WADA Code; disclosure is optional depending on circumstances.

So those are places where the WADA Code has specific sections where it carves out exceptions applicable to "protected persons." In most legal systems, when interpreting a law, you try to ascertain the intent of the people who drafted itdo something in some parts of the code (like create certain exceptions), when the do not include something similar in another part of the law, it is presumed they did not intend to include that thing. So by drafting exceptions for "protected persons," it showed that it knew how to create such exceptions.

CAS created an exception to the provisional suspension rule that does not exist in the WADA Code. If anyone rewrote the Code, it was CAS. WADA and the IOC sought to have it applied as written.
Yes, CAS absolutely did create new law. When I saw the short version of the ruling, I though perhaps they were incorporating concepts of notice and process into the rules to deal with the late test notification and the fact she could not have responded or requested B sample testing In January. But CAS went much further than that. The long version of the opinion specifically states they incorporated the “principles” in the protected persons sections into the provisional suspension sections. This was not within their authority.

Vagabond

I wonder what the deadline is for appealing the CAS decision to the court in Switzerland and whether any of the parties will do so if there is still time.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Just a hypothetical question that could affect the fallout of the situation. If Kamila’s grandfather claimed he got TMZ at a pharmacy without a prescription, doesn’t that mean, in theory, Kamila could have gotten the drug on her own without the involvement of Eteri and the team doctor?

Obviously, I highly doubt she or a family member went to the Russian equivalent of CVS and got this drug so she could take it for competitive advantage. But in terms of taking down Eteri and the doctor, could they feasibly claim this as a possibility to deflect blame from themselves. If you don’t need a prescription for TMZ, then it opens a lot more possibilities for how she feasibly got it. They could claim a tiger parent situation where the family wanted to do everything they could to ensure she wins.

Now that the Olympics are over and Kamila did not win, I wouldn’t put it past Eteri and co to throw her to the wolves in an effort to keep their jobs and status.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Listening to this "15 years old and just a child" makes me think of David Chappelle skit- just how old is 15 really. He makes good points about how people are ready to throw a 15 year old in jail if they commit a crime. This seems to mirror Sha'Carri's statement. I wonder if Valieva was 15 and black and found with weed in her system, whether anyone would talk about her being a "little girl."

https://youtu.be/75XKGVwGEt4
Agreed. And she’ll be 16 in a couple months. If she was the same age and were pregnant or tested positive for alcohol or a drug like cocaine people would not be looking to the coaching team and family to blame.

By the way I still think the coaching team likely is to blame. I’m just pointing out that kids her age do illegal things all the time and are held accountable for them. She’s not a baby.

I feel horrible for Kamila and how the whole situation was handled but I think part of the reason things wound up ending as horribly as they did is because she is NOT a baby like some people are claiming and all the controversy and questioning and being labeled simultaneously as a hero, a cheater and a martyr clearly did affect her ability to perform. Wasn’t she cleared to continue competing because removing her while she was already at the Olympics was potentially detrimental for her psychological well being? Turns out letting her compete was also detrimental and likely on a much larger scale. She should have just been disqualified, and if her age allowed her to be protected couldn’t they have claimed covid and dealt with this privately later?

Karen-W

Based on the posted rules, it sounds like each athlete has a choice and the medals are not necessarily all together.
They could but I have a strong suspicion that the US team members will do whatever it takes to receive their medals together.
The only problem with Sydney is Nathan, Vincent and Karen will all be back at university and I doubt those dates would work with their school schedules.
Perhaps, but Worlds 2023 is in Saitama, so either event, if they choose to get them together, would likely interfere, to some extent with their school schedules. I also tend to think that their professors would work with them about missing any classes or exams if they were given enough notice and wanted to travel to Australia or Japan to get their Gold* medals.

Karen-W

Or they could go to Paris over summer break.:)
Again, just going to point out that the preference is to get the medals awarded within a year of the case being resolved/closed. I don't think any of these skaters are going to want to wait an additional 1.5 years to get their medals. But, feel free to come back and tag me if it turns out I'm wrong.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
We have no idea how it's going to drag on until a decision is made, and all of the appeals are filed -- CAS won't be onsite -- whether flying to Japan in March 2023 is going to work with a combination of school and work, but if it is in Japan, I'd guess that there would be an opportunity to skate in a show and/or exhibition, so that might be incentive to skip out of school for medals and $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information