Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

Tbh, I just want that poor girl to get away from that environment. She's been failed by so many adults in so many ways by now, it's just incredibly sad. I hope she has a healthy and happy life and can get some counseling. What a trainwreck.
very sad....Did Eteri tell her to go home and make babies.

Rafter

Any of Trusova, Scherbekova, Liza T would have had the same result in the ladies portion of the team event. Russia had a deep bench. They didn’t need Valieva for the TE.

I think Valieva was their sure bet though. The above named skaters maybe with the exception of Scherbakova could have lost in the TE to a Japanese woman.

becca

I think Valieva was their sure bet though. The above named skaters maybe with the exception of Scherbakova could have lost in the TE to a Japanese woman.
The Russians won by nine points even if they lose to the Japanese women they would have still won team gold.

I don’t think they would have knowingly risked Furthemore Liza could have won bronze here.

They didn’t need Kamila to win gold in team or ladies.

Makes no sense to cover up her positive results if you are them

Meoima

TSL tweeted that his source at Sambo-70 said they were told to cover up asses and shred the financial statements. Then he deleted it. I wonder if he or his source was threatened?
I assume it was mostly hear-say and there is no obvious/concrete evidence. Even if it did happen it would be very hard to prove. And whoever spread such information might get sued if not enough receipts are found.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The FBI field office in Moscow is working with Russian police on this case. Yes, they cooperate on some trans-National cases. Serious sh**. (related more to commercial crimes than obvious skating-related aspects of this saga)

Last edited:

Rafter

Alina returned to Izhevsk shortly after winning gold in 2018 to a parade welcoming her back. She spoke a sentence or two in Tatar saying how proud she was to be a Muslim representing her hometown. AFAIK, that's the only time she's ever acknowledged it. I'll try to find the video on YouTube.

So are these girls ethnically Muslims but not practicing Muslims?

They are on their Instagram pages posing in front of Christmas trees in their apartments (or at least Zagitova is). I don’t know any Muslims who would do this. Granted, any Muslim I know is pretty strict about following the religion.

Nadya

They are on their Instagram pages posing in front of Christmas trees in their apartments (or at least Zagitova is). I don’t know any Muslims who would do this. Granted, any Muslim I know is pretty strict about following the religion.

There is no such thing as "ethnic" Muslim. Tatars are culturally Muslim. No practicing, observant Muslim family would have a daughter in figure skating.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
TSL tweeted that his source at Sambo-70 said they were told to cover their asses and shred the financial statements. Then he deleted it. I wonder if Dave or his source was threatened?
Why are they supposed to shred financial records? I'm missing something here

DreamSkates

Whatever happens in the long run with the investigation it was just so sad to watch (replay) the ladies free program. “Irreparable harm” is also putting a 15 year old in this kind of pressure. Not to mention Trusiva’s reaction. Crushing for both skaters and their coaches I hope will have learned some important things. That is all I will say. A sad day for figure skating.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader

That may have been a New Year's tree. I know many ethnically Jewish Russian's who put up trees for NYE . I imagine it may be the same for Russians of the Muslim faith.

soogar

There is a practicing Muslim skater who competes in a hajib. Not every practicing Muslim woman is forced to wear a burka and avoid sports.

Vagabond

There is no such thing as "ethnic" Muslim. Tatars are culturally Muslim. No practicing, observant Muslim family would have a daughter in figure skating.
Yes, there is such a thing as an "ethnic" Muslim. Not in Russia, though.

No, not all Tatars are culturally Muslim. Some are culturally Orthodox; others are culturally secular.

Alina Zagitova is a Tatar and identifies publicly as Muslim. Kamila Valieva is a Tatar too, but AFAIK, she has never disclosed whether she identifies as Muslim, Orthodox, or something else. If you have a source that you can share, please do.

KaoriFan

I'm curious how serious the investigation will be now. I think the results today make it much more likely the investigation will be more serious and Valieva more likely to be DQ, because Russian side will want answers not just sweep under the rug anymore when Olympics are over.

Anna will be untouchable, Trusova? I don't know. But Wakaba Higuchi and Young You are on the clock if anything more turns up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information