Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatingguy

decently
My favourite Raf reaction was at the Grand Prix Final in 2018 when Nathan's score comes up & he gives Nathan a little knee bump.

Rafter

Zhulin just wrote an open letter to Bach on his instagram, slating him and telling him essentially to mind his own business, that Eteri who has trained multiple Olympic champions doesn't need his advice and the IOC ruined the girl etc etc...That they are targeting the Russians because they use Meldonium (which wasn't previously banned) and that it can stay in your system for years, then goes on to site Bobrova's case :eek:

What an idiot.

ETA: It wreaks of desperation on Zhulin’s part.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Anyway, Trusova's reaction is not that bad. It's from a teenager who lives her entire life for Figure Skating and wants only one thing : landing big jumps. I understand her reaction, even if I think she shouldn't have won anyway.
A teenaged Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, or Michelle Kwan would have gritted her teeth off camera for two seconds at most and then gone into the interview to say with a smile, "She skated better than I did today."

Xela M

Zhulin just wrote an open letter to Bach on his instagram, slating him and telling him essentially to mind his own business, that Eteri who has trained multiple Olympic champions doesn't need his advice and the IOC ruined the girl etc etc...That they are targeting the Russians because they use Meldonium (which wasn't previously banned) and that it can stay in your system for years, then goes on to site Bobrova's case :eek:

Just as classy as the Russian skier Veronika Stepanova writing on her social media today that the Swedish journalist (who accused her of cheating) should look inside her knickers - complete with a pic of herself in underwear 🩲

Honestly the result of this behaviour will eventually be a ban on all Russian athletes at all international events

Last edited:

topaz

What is the strategy of people saying Kamila may not know she was doped, that her coaches gave it to her unknowingly? What about Anna and Sasha then? The coaches only doped one skater but not the rest?

They will all throw Kamila under the bus now to save themselves.
I had previously thought so anymore. I don't necessarily think so. Kamala plight has touched a lot of Russians. She has a lot of sympathy right now.

soogar

No, but most practicing, Quran-reading women Muslims are serious about not displaying themselves. Note I'm not judging, I'm relaying to you what the rules of religious practice say about female body display for mixed audiences.
I have a lot of practicing, Quran reading Muslim friends and their conservatism runs the gamut from being covered and having curfews to wearing western dress and playing sports. Oftentimes there are people in the same family who observe the religion yet interpret it differently when it comes to modesty. Just your first sentence is judgmental, because it implies that a woman who adopts a modest western dress, is someone not practicing Muslim nor does she read the Q'uron. My friend pray and read the Q'uron and do sports.
I had previously thought so anymore. I don't necessarily think so. Kamala plight has touched a lot of Russians. She has a lot of sympathy right now.
It's touched Germans as well. Katarina was in tears on German television about Kamila.

Nadya

I have a lot of practicing, Quran reading Muslim friends and their conservatism runs the gamut from being covered and having curfews to wearing western dress and playing sports. Oftentimes there are people in the same family who observe the religion yet interpret it differently when it comes to modesty. Just your first sentence is judgmental, because it implies that a woman who adopts a modest western dress, is someone not practicing Muslim nor does she read the Q'uron. My friend pray and read the Q'uron and do sports.

It's touched Germans as well. Katarina was in tears on German television about Kamila.

I don't judge anyone for being a non-practicing Muslim. I'm a proud atheist.

We can all agree that there is a world of space between a "modern western dress" and a typical skating outfit.

Of course people interpret the religion differently. That's a clear fact. Are all interpretations equally valid? Look, this religion comes with rules. One can ignore them or observe them but they do exist.

becca

I don't judge anyone for being a non-practicing Muslim. I'm a proud atheist.

We can all agree that there is a world of space between a "modern western dress" and a typical skating outfit.

Of course people interpret the religion differently. That's a clear fact. Are all interpretations equally valid? Look, this religion comes with rules. One can ignore them or observe them but they do exist.
A skater fully covered wearing a Hajb I don’t think would be issue for a lot of practicing Muslims

Nadya

Are people talking about Kamila being Muslim because of her absolutely hideous LP costume? It was awful. What's with the black see through tights? Hardly very modest. Just hideous
The whole discussion of Kamila being Muslim is a complete non sequitur.
What an idiot.

ETA: It wreaks of desperation on Zhulin’s part.

It wasn't an open letter per se. Bach saw it fit to opine on the cold reception Kamila got from Eteri in the K&C. Zhulin responded in his Instagram saying basically mind your business on what who tells whom.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The whole discussion of Kamila being Muslim is a complete non sequitur.

Of which you have contributed nothing interesting or relevant...

It wasn't an open letter per se. Bach saw it fit to opine on the cold reception Kamila got from Eteri in the K&C. Zhulin responded in his Instagram saying basically mind your business on what who tells whom.
What business is it of Zhulin's, though? Bach was at the IOC press conference and asked a direct question. He gave a response. Zhulin has no dog in this fight, so, really, if anyone needs to sit down and STFU here, it's him.

irenemulindwairen

Are people talking about Kamila being Muslim because of her absolutely hideous LP costume? It was awful. What's with the black see through tights? Hardly very modest. Just hideous
Not really a fan of her costume either. But my sympathy goes to her. She is not the problem here, her coach is. Heartless woman.
Of which you have contributed nothing interesting or relevant...

What business is it of Zhulin's, though? Bach was at the IOC press conference and asked a direct question. He gave a response. Zhulin has no dog in this fight, so, really, if anyone needs to sit down and STFU here, it's him.
Stupid man.He should STFU.

soogar

If Bach really cared about Kamila, they would have done more to protect her identity and wouldn't have made her a scapegoat by holding up the medal ceremonies because of HER. I've been listening to German media and Katarina's opinion and the more I think about it, I think people were quick to condemn her. A lot of this fallout is because of Eteri and this was really meant as a lesson for Russia. However there is only one positive test. None of the other Russian skaters have tested positive for anything. That doesn't mean that they are not doping, but this test is not dispositive of them doping either. They haven't even looked into the sample yet or a B test. Since it was decided that it was an irreparable harm to not let her compete, they should have conducted this fact finding behind closed doors and went through with ceremonies despite the inconvenience because they directly impacted the women's event. The stress that all three of these girls went through, and the entire field as well. Just to teach Russia a lesson. What happens if she is exonerated later. Johnnie and Tara going on tv to condemn this girl and shame her.

Her Hepoxin could have been tainted. It was legal for her to take it. It's not as if she had time to bring her pills to Beijing and have them tested. Same with her l-carnitine.

So Bach goes on to bitch about Eteri. Eteri is a creepy show off, but Bach is a major hypocrite. CAS already shown Kamila leniency due to her age, then officials expose her and create this terrible show. Then he has gall to complain about Eteri when they exposed her to the world and ostracized her amongst her fellow skaters.

Karen-W

If Bach really cared about Kamila, they would have done more to protect her identity and wouldn't have made her a scapegoat by holding up the medal ceremonies because of HER. I've been listening to German media and Katarina's opinion and the more I think about it, I think people were quick to condemn her. A lot of this fallout is because of Eteri and this was really meant as a lesson for Russia. However there is only one positive test. None of the other Russian skaters have tested positive for anything. That doesn't mean that they are not doping, but this test is not dispositive of them doping either. They haven't even looked into the sample yet or a B test. Since it was decided that it was an irreparable harm to not let her compete, they should have conducted this fact finding behind closed doors and went through with ceremonies despite the inconvenience because they directly impacted the women's event. The stress that all three of these girls went through, and the entire field as well. Just to teach Russia a lesson. What happens if she is exonerated later. Johnnie and Tara going on tv to condemn this girl and shame her.

Her Hepoxin could have been tainted. It was legal for her to take it. It's not as if she had time to bring her pills to Beijing and have them tested. Same with her l-carnitine.

So Bach goes on to bitch about Eteri. Eteri is a creepy show off, but Bach is a major hypocrite. CAS already shown Kamila leniency due to her age, then officials expose her and create this terrible show. Then he has gall to complain about Eteri when they exposed her to the world and ostracized her amongst her fellow skaters.
You need to go hack and review the timeline of everything that happened over the past 11 days. I don't have the patience or energy to go over all of the erroneous conclusions you have drawn simply because you aren't operating with the correct sequence of events and proper understanding of who had what power in this sad, tragic situation. Suffice it to say, there are a LOT of adults who dropped the ball, starting with RUSADA not properly marking Valieva's urin samples from Russian Nats for expedited testing.

Bach is a tool and a total hypocrite but I'm fine with him calling out Eteri for the cold, heartless b*tch she is. One might even go so far as to say "takes one to know one". ;)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Yes, there is such a thing as an "ethnic" Muslim. Not in Russia, though.

No, not all Tatars are culturally Muslim. Some are culturally Orthodox; others are culturally secular.

Alina Zagitova is a Tatar and identifies publicly as Muslim. Kamila Valieva is a Tatar too, but AFAIK, she has never disclosed whether she identifies as Muslim, Orthodox, or something else. If you have a source that you can share, please do.
When I saw the original post I spent about 45 minutes online reading about the ethnic designatoins.
Fascinating.

soogar

You need to go hack and review the timeline of everything that happened over the past 11 days. I don't have the patience or energy to go over all of the erroneous conclusions you have drawn simply because you aren't operating with the correct sequence of events and proper understanding of who had what power in this sad, tragic situation. Suffice it to say, there are a LOT of adults who dropped the ball, starting with RUSADA not properly marking Valieva's urin samples from Russian Nats for expedited testing.

Bach is a tool and a total hypocrite but I'm fine with him calling out Eteri for the cold, heartless b*tch she is. One might even go so far as to say "takes one to know one". ;)
There's no doubt that there were improprieties and adults dropped the ball. However Bach and company created this awful situation for Kamila. The CAS wrote a good decision and probably factored that this test was sprung on her at the games, she had no opportunity for an adequate defense, and also she had tested negative at Euros and at the Olympics, in addition to her being a favorite to win. This all should have been done behind closed doors.

He can criticize the coach all he wants, they created this awful situation that caused her to break down like that.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@soogar if it was done behind closed doors then there would be a lot of complaining about lack of accountability and due process. It may not be the athlete's fault that they doped, and it may be difficult for younger athletes, but IMO it does more good than harm to have these decisions out in the open.

Karen-W

There's no doubt that there were improprieties and adults dropped the ball. However Bach and company created this awful situation for Kamila. The CAS wrote a good decision and probably factored that this test was sprung on her at the games, she had no opportunity for an adequate defense, and also she had tested negative at Euros and at the Olympics, in addition to her being a favorite to win. This all should have been done behind closed doors.

He can criticize the coach all he wants, they created this awful situation that caused her to break down like that.
No, Bach and the IOC did NOT create this situation. RUSADA created this situation by not expediting her test results from Russian Nats. Period. Everything else follows on that. Her status as a 'protected person' would have been preserved had RUSADA done its job. Her status as a 'protected person' would have been preserved had RUSADA not lifted, incorrectly per WADA, their provisional suspension. Her status as a 'protected person' would have been preserved had the RUSSIAN MEDIA not revealed her identity to the public.

I'm all for piling on Bach's IOC as much as the next person but the fault here has very little to do with the IOC and everything to do with the RUSSIAN actors in this tragedy not caring about her, at multiple points along the way.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

You can say this as often as you want, and ideally it may be true, but it doesn't alter the fact that it was the Russian press that first released her name and revealed the drug was trimetazedine.

soogar

You can say this as often as you want, and ideally it may be true, but it doesn't alter the fact that it was the Russian press that first released her name and revealed the drug was trimetazedine.
The press wouldn't have been on the matter if they didn't hold up the medal ceremony. If things had gone on as planned, the press would have never gotten wind that there was something wrong. Of course the ceremony was held up for days and of course the press is going to investigate and see why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information