Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I not questioning being careful. I'm just shocked by the excuse.
I apologize - I misinterpreted the tone of your post.

Shocked doesn't quite cover it for me - more like completely astonished that she (if indeed it was she who made that statement) or anyone else saying it would think that anyone with a grain of common sense would believe it.

Muffin

Deliberately delayed, waylaid the sample because they knew about the rights and rules of the athletes opportunity to defend themselves with ample time.
I have no doubt they delayed the sample. In addition to the sample's mysterious late arrival at the lab, RUSADA failed to flag the sample as one needing expedited results before the Olympics (per their obligation, according to WADA) and they failed to follow up with the lab when they did not receive timely results (also per their obligation, according to WADA).

chantilly

I have no doubt they delayed the sample. In addition to the sample's mysterious late arrival at the lab, RUSADA failed to flag the sample as one needing expedited results before the Olympics (per their obligation, according to WADA) and they failed to follow up with the lab when they did not receive timely results (also per their obligation, according to WADA).
Exactly! Hence my post.
I’m just so mad.
I love figure skating and watching at the Olympics has brought me some fantastic memories but after this and quite frankly the Ice Dance results, I’m just done.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
My understanding is that since they didn't find her positive at the Games, and since she has already competed in one game, they will allow her to continue because they can't start an actual investigation right now. The investigation and the testing of Sample B will be in 7-10 days after her LP.

But isn’t that how it works? Jessica wasn’t allowed to go to worlds while they prepped and set up a nice venue and research for her case. It’s affective immediately

becca

I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole thing/ schedule of events of this situation was completely orchestrated by the Russian team behind Valieva.

I think they read the rules in particular regarding her age and doping, and how a positive test would be dealt with.

They doped her with TMZ up and until the right amount of time that it would not be in her system come Olympics.

Deliberately delayed, waylaid the sample because they knew about the rights and rules of the athletes opportunity to defend themselves with ample time.

Etc etc.

This I feel was completely orchestrated and calculated to garner this exact result.

They know once the Olympics are done few people will care despite skating fans and skaters and their teams about the final decisions.

Even if they’re medals are stripped, most people will have remembered the Russians “won” or they won’t care or have moved on.

Yup I’m done with skating at the Olympics
I disagree here in one sense makes no sense for the Russians to deliberately do this.

Why risk team gold and they are already on probation they didn’t need Valieva to win team gold.

The whole thing is fishy and i hate different rules for 15 year olds but makes no sense to send someone with a known positive test. They didn’t need Kamilla to win those medals

Anita18

It depends!
Given that CAS let KV off because of her age, watch Russia simply dope up all their athletes under 16. Why not? It's not like there's gonna be any punishment for doing it. This is the real "irreparable harm." Awful.

Yes, that's the part that strikes me, having grown up in a pressure cooker school environment with children constantly pressured to be the best. No matter what the physical or psychological cost. It can mess you up the rest of your life.

becca

Given that CAS let KV off because of her age, watch Russia simply dope up all their athletes under 16. Why not? It's not like there's gonna be any punishment for doing it. This is the real "irreparable harm." Awful.

Yes, that's the part that strikes me, having grown up in a pressure cooker school environment with children constantly pressured to be the best. No matter what the physical or psychological cost. It can mess you up the rest of your life.
The age rules need to change now but really I don’t think Russia purposely kept the test it was not in their best interest.

If she had failed the test and they knew about it would have been more in their interest to handle it quietly as per the rules since she was a protected person and just have her “injured” for the Olympics.

They could win both golds without her

chantilly

I disagree here in one sense makes no sense for the Russians to deliberately do this.

Why risk team gold and they are already on probation they didn’t need Valieva to win team gold.

The whole thing is fishy and i hate different rules for 15 year olds but makes no sense to send someone with a known positive test. They didn’t need Kamilla to win those medals
Because they figured they’d get away with it according to the rules I discussed in my post.

And they did get away with it.

Absolutely a big risk, but like I said they combed through the rules etc and figured they’d squeak through with the decision they hoped for.

becca

Because they figured they’d get away with it according to the rules I discussed in my post.

And they did get away with it.

Absolutely a big risk, but like I said they combed through the rules etc and figured they’d squeak through with the decision they hoped for.
I just don’t think it makes sense for them. I think it would make more sense to hush it up and not draw attention to Eteris team like that
They swept the worlds podium last year without her. I don’t think it matters to the Russia which girl wins gold

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Keep seeing this here and on social media. The IOC and the ISU opposed the ruling, but they cannot go against a legal ruling from CAS that says Valieva can skate.

And the fact that neither Italy nor France qualified a women to compete in the individual event. ;)

I don't think I have heard "little Belgium" used since the 1920s. :lol:
I'm a Euro history buff. :D

giselle23

Kamila and her team have been training continuously (minus one day) for 10 days. Their doping tests in Beijing are all negative. Her doping tests before Nationals and during the Grand Prix were negative. Her doping test at Euros was negative. The doping test she took for National came back with an infinitesimal trace of dope (which is less than any assignable quantity) after getting awol for more than a month.
It only takes one.

D

Deleted member 221

I am going to bring this message up when Karen Chen places higher than Mariah. :lol:

Sorry, I didn't mean to slam Karen and do think she could realistically place higher :lol:. But Karen has one Olympics under her belt, plus a team medal, and she's not in realistic medal contention. It'd be a lot easier for her to withdraw in protest than it would for someone like Bell, who never had a chance, won't get another one, and didn't get selected in the team event despite being national champion.

Muffin

So far, the only people I have heard trying to write off the amount of TMZ in her system as being "trace" or "negligible" is the head of the ROC and Valieva's lawyer. I don't consider either of those to be a reliable source. "Wait until the investigation" about a positive test result, but take Russian propaganda at face value?

Either way, it doesn't exonerate her at all. No amount of banned heart medication could have been found in her system for a legitimate reason. A test showing trace amount is the natural result of a miscalculation on the part of the team dope administrator anesthesiologist to taper off the TMZ in time for it to all have left her system before the test.

SkateG8

I apologize - I misinterpreted the tone of your post.

Shocked doesn't quite cover it for me - more like completely astonished that she (if indeed it was she who made that statement) or anyone else saying it would think that anyone with a grain of common sense would believe it.
No problem ❤️

Tavi

I understand your POV but CAS disagree with you.
FYI, it’s the 3-member arbitration panel issuing the decision that disagreed with @flyingsit ’s POV, not the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which doesn’t decide cases itself. CAS is not really a court. It’s not a government entity. It’s more like the AAA (American Arbitration Association) or JAMS (Judicial Arbitration & Mediation Services), which provide for-profit alternative dispute resolution services to parties who have voluntarily agreed to submit cases to them and to be bound by the decision.

Incidentally in actual courts of law, when an administrative body such as WADA interprets its own rules, courts usually defer to their interpretations. That didn’t happen here. WADA said in its statement that the panel did not correctly interpret its rules. The arbitration panel completely ignored that fact in issuing its decision-which also conflicted with decisions by other CAS arbitration panels.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Just to be clear, no one has actually said the sample arrived late. One guy said that if the 20 days to process had been followed that that sample would have arrived Jan 19th. But that doesn't mean it did. The 20 days to process could also have been violated.

As far as the timing goes, I had a conspiracy theory that went like this:
1) When RUSADA collects samples, they collect enough to test them first before sending them off
2) They saw the trace amounts in KV's sample and panicked. They decided to hold off sending it until after Euros
3) At Euros, KV tested clean. Then they sent the sample in. The theory being that they could point to the clean test and the delay as a get out of jail free card if it came to light during the Olympics

But this theory, like most conspiracy theories, doesn't really make sense. It's so risky. CAS could have followed WADA's rules and KV would not only not skate in the IE but the TE would be invalidated. And if they knew she had a positive result, it's very risky to send her to Euros and hope the result is negative there. And why put her in the TE when they could win with any of the other two Womens skaters?

It makes more sense that they sent in the sample but forgot to put that it should be expedited and then forgot about it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to slam Karen and do think she could realistically place higher :lol:. But Karen has one Olympics under her belt, plus a team medal, and she's not in realistic medal contention. It'd be a lot easier for her to withdraw in protest than it would for someone like Bell, who never had a chance, won't get another one, and didn't get selected in the team event despite being national champion.
Okay, I will let you off the hook then. ;)

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Just to be clear, no one has actually said the sample arrived late. One guy said that if the 20 days to process had been followed that that sample would have arrived Jan 19th. But that doesn't mean it did. The 20 days to process could also have been violated.

As far as the timing goes, I had a conspiracy theory that went like this:
1) When RUSADA collects samples, they collect enough to test them first before sending them off
2) They saw the trace amounts in KV's sample and panicked. They decided to hold off sending it until after Euros
3) At Euros, KV tested clean. Then they sent the sample in. The theory being that they could point to the clean test and the delay as a get out of jail free card if it came to light during the Olympics

But this theory, like most conspiracy theories, doesn't really make sense. It's so risky. CAS could have followed WADA's rules and KV would not only not skate in the IE but the TE would be invalidated. And if they knew she had a positive result, it's very risky to send her to Euros and hope the result is negative there. And why put her in the TE when they could win with any of the other two Womens skaters?

It makes more sense that they sent in the sample but forgot to put that it should be expedited and then forgot about it.

Okay, I will let you off the hook then. ;)
I hate to rain on your parade 😂🤣, but having witnessed RUSADA carry out doping control and watched the collection of the sample and the skater put it into the 2 containers and seal them, point 1) is kinda blown out of the water.

I might add that it was all done incredibly professionally, they explain everything in detail no matter how much experience the athlete has had of taking doping tests.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
So there will be no ceremony if she medals? Am I understanding this clearly? How is this fair to the other skaters? The other skaters should have the right to have a medal ceremony.

So because one girl doped the others can't have their medal ceremony that is so wrong. If she isn't able to stand on a podium she shouldn't be competing. What a stupid ruling.
They should have the ceremony but instead of ROC/Kamila, they can have Bing Dwen Dwen stand in her place and let the other medalists have their photo op.

barbarafan

Well with this defense, at least It should be reasonably easy to see if Kamila’s grandfather was prescribed this medication and had filled the med in a pharmacy if the family consents to release info.
I wonder if the name on the prescription is the team's doping doctor? And what date. I hope no one insists he testifies...otherwise he will probably fall off the balcony.....or suddenly have a heart attack from something shoved in his mouth...I wonder how that would effect the Poor poor KV if she gets her grandfather murdered. What will they do then to protect her sensibilities.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I hate to rain on your parade 😂🤣, but having witnessed RUSADA carry out doping control and watched the collection of the sample and the skater put it into the 2 containers and seal them, point 1) is kinda blown out of the water.

I might add that it was all done incredibly professionally, they explain everything in detail no matter how much experience the athlete has had of taking doping tests.
Eh, I'm sure everything looked professional back when they were swapping samples, too. ;)

But my point wasn't that I believe this scenario. As I said, it makes no sense. People are working backward from what we know happened to come up with theories rather than thinking about the situation as it was back in Dec. That is how conspiracy theories work in general. It's very easy to come up with them after the fact but when you think about the situation at point 0, you realize they don't really make sense.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
how many ppl died in the Sochi coverup. They were not accidents. As a grandfather he is the most expendable.
Especially since he already has a, convenient, heart condition. Makes it so much easier to make death look natural...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information