Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Lori Ewing's article for Reuters (Oct. 11) - she used to cover figure skating for the Canadian Press:
Excerpts:
Bates, Chock and their American team mates who finished second in Beijing remain in limbo awaiting the outcome of the case, which the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Sept. 28 adjourned until November.
"The time that has passed since Beijing now is - what are we at, 20 months now?," Bates told reporters on a video call on Wednesday. "And I think that part is the most disappointing, frustrating.
"As an athlete who grew up dreaming of winning an Olympic medal, this was never part of the dream, this was never part of what we envisioned. That's the disappointing part." [...]
"We're the only ones from that team who are still competing, and it just represents sort of the brief span of an Olympic athlete's career and to have this amount of delay in receiving our medals and having our Olympic achievement recognised is incredibly frustrating," Bates said.
The skaters have had conversations with U.S. Figure Skating and the International Skating Union about potential medal ceremonies, Bates said, adding his best-case scenario would be to receive them at next year's Summer Olympics in Paris.
"That would be really special and still having an Olympic moment at an Olympic Games," Chock said. "I'd be happy to just be standing up there with our fellow Team USA athletes, no matter where we are, honestly and share that moment with our families." [...]
"Our dream has been to stand on the podium and get the Olympic medal," Bates said.
"It'd be hard to walk away knowing that, despite having achieved the hard part of winning the Olympic medal, we didn't have that Olympic moment. You see so many montages of whether it's Michael Phelps or whoever, it may be having that emotional moment."
ETA that Lori Ewing, who's based in England now, also wrote this article that was published yesterday:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I haven't kept up with this story but I just saw this on pop up on a newsfeed and :lol:

Is this the new angle now? It wasn't grandpa's coffee. It was sabotage by tea and ice cream?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I haven't kept up with this story but I just saw this on pop up on a newsfeed and :lol:

Is this the new angle now? It wasn't grandpa's coffee. It was sabotage by tea and ice cream?

Time for @Andrey aka Pushkin to make another emoji :grandpa:🫖🍦

Vagabond

:TT1: almost sounds like another Eteri Tutbridze, except that Tutberidze would say that you can't eat or drink anything ever.

LeafOnTheWind

In September, CAS Director General Matthieu Reeb told CNN Sport that the judicial body cannot be blamed for the duration of Valieva’s case.

I need to look at @Karen-W timeline she so helpfully created but wasn't it their lawyer that started this underage skater crap and let her continue skating at the Olympics in the first place?

ETA: why yes, yes it was their crap decision that started this extra mess. Who wants to tweet at them and remind them of that fact?

Scroll down to around Feb 11

Last edited:

Colonel Green

It is only the 10th of November. The end of January is nearly 3 months away. This is unconscionable. By the end of January? That is barely short of TWO FULL YEARS since this event took place in February of 2022.
A few months is not an unusual amount of time for a decision by an administrative tribunal.

Vagabond

If I remember correctly, when the Court of Arbitration for Sport took up the case, it said that it expected to issue its decision in January 2024.

The Court has procedures to follow and other cases to consider.

If you want someone to blame, blame Eteri Tutberidze and the Russian sports industrial complex for not coming clean. :grandpa:

bardtoob

It is only the 10th of November. The end of January is nearly 3 months away. This is unconscionable. By the end of January? That is barely short of TWO FULL YEARS since this event took place in February of 2022.
Bribe money can't simply be transferred any longer, it now also has to be laundered :p

Also, access to forged evidence has to be carefully orchestrated :p

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
Y'all realize this isn't even close to over, right?

Once we get the Valieva ruling, the IOC/ISU will potentially have to determine how to recalculate the team event results. The Russians WILL fight, all the way to CAS again, any result that costs them the gold (or any medal). I really don't see this being wrapped up before Milano-Cortina if Valieva is found guilty and banned for any length of time that includes Beijing 2022.

caseyedwards

The problem is ioc doesn’t want to upset the United States by being fair and going by precedent and wants to please all anti Russia fanatics who want nothing less but total ban of all Russians forever.this whole case is because of United States

Colonel Green

This whole process NEVER should have taken 2 YEARS. It is inexcusable.
I was referring to the time to draft a decision. But in any case, the delays prior to that seem to have happened on RUSADA’s end, which there’s not much WADA or the IOC can do anything about. Everyone involved has procedural rights.

Even in cooperative circumstances, these things take time. The reallocation of the men’s 4x100 metre sprint medals from Tokyo 2021 wasn’t completed until this summer.

airgelaal

Y'all realize this isn't even close to over, right?

Once we get the Valieva ruling, the IOC/ISU will potentially have to determine how to recalculate the team event results. The Russians WILL fight, all the way to CAS again, any result that costs them the gold (or any medal). I really don't see this being wrapped up before Milano-Cortina if Valieva is found guilty and banned for any length of time that includes Beijing 2022.
Can they? I mean, isn't this the final decision?
And I read that all russian sports federations that had filed lawsuits for suspension with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) have withdrawn them :rolleyes:

peibeck

Simply looking

I find it difficult to believe. I mean, by the looks of it TAT definitely got ALL the ice cream.

bardtoob

I just never want to see another athlete from russia again. I've lost all sympathy for all of them. Blame the federation or the country's culture but... nope. keep them out. They no longer bring anything of value.

The problem is ioc doesn’t want to upset the United States by being fair and going by precedent and wants to please all anti Russia fanatics who want nothing less but total ban of all Russians forever.this whole case is because of United States

You both sound ridiculous.

You can't ban every Russian forever.

You can't expect something like this to not be fully investigated and long fought.

If not anything else, maybe this will prevent a medical accident in the future. Accidentally consuming something like this would at least be grounds for calling poison control or immediately consulting a competent physician. Where is evidence of that? Where has anybody indicated concern about her safety? It all seems to be about some legal mumbo jumbo, who gets what medal, and the timing of some non-urgent test that would not serve the need to confirm that she is physically well after being exposed to some heart medication. What if it caused her blood pressure to drop dangerously low or caused an arrhythmia that lead to a dangerous blood clot? This seems like anything but "protected minor" status.

Last edited:

Mafke

You can't expect something like this to not be fully investigated and long fought.
I realize that.

But it should be playing out after the medal ceremony. I've yet to hear any explanation that made any sense as to why the usual procedure wasn't applied.
disqualify KV
recalculate the team scores (or disqualify the team, whichever is what the rules say)
have the ceremony at the games

Then begin the longterm investigation afterwards.

Why didn't that happen again?

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
I realize that.

But it should be playing out after the medal ceremony. I've yet to hear any explanation that made any sense as to why the usual procedure wasn't applied.
disqualify KV
recalculate the team scores (or disqualify the team, whichever is what the rules say)
have the ceremony at the games

Then begin the longterm investigation afterwards.

Why didn't that happen again?
Because Valieva had "protected person" status due to her age. Which the ROC and RUSADA have exploited at every step along the way in this ridiculously protracted process.

Mafke

Because Valieva had "protected person" status due to her age. Which the ROC and RUSADA have exploited at every step along the way in this ridiculously protracted process.
So young competitors are free to dope? Or federations can change the rules as they go along if they have young comeptitiors?

Another reason to raise the minimum age of competitors.

But how did her age mean they couldn't disqualify her and have the ceremony and figure out everything later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information