Royalty Thread #8.....A Pregnant Pause

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
With the video inside their home. Let me think.........oh yes, I can see where that is private. Geesh. I wouldn't want a camera crew in my house with a new baby.....think germs.

The video and photos were taken at Windsor Castle. I doubt the public will ever get to see inside Frogmore Cottage.

Lorac

With the video inside their home. Let me think.........oh yes, I can see where that is private. Geesh. I wouldn't want a camera crew in my house with a new baby.....think germs.

And Archie? Really? Archibald I could get. And, no, he will not receive a title.

Actually that article is wrong in so far as it states that Harry and Meghan have elected to forgo the HRH title when in fact their child is not entitled to that title at the moment - only when Charles becomes King. They seem to be not using the title the child is entitled to - which is the Earl of Dumbarton though I'm not sure they can actually deny him that title.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
It really dates me, but the first thing that popped into my head was the sound of Edith Bunker saying in a drawn out way, "Oh Archie!!!" :lol: I think it's safe to say that the name will be all that this royal baby shares with Archie Bunker.

May the Sussex family have much health and happiness.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think everyone is a bit mixed up. Lord/Lady and Earl are not royal titles. HRH Prince/Princess are royal titles. Also the CNN report is slightly inaccurate in suggesting that 'Prince' is a courtesy title. It is not. The Earl of Dumbarton is a courtesy title, which normally would be extended to Harry's first born son. I'm going to see if there is any better official accounting regarding possible future titles being given. If they aren't planning to use Earl, I have a feeling they may not use 'Prince' either when Charles becomes King.

Who is mixed up? Who said or implied that Lord/Lady & Earl are royal titles? (Hint: no one)

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Although I don't like the name, Edith, I think 'Edie' and 'Archie' have a nice ring!

Who is mixed up? Who said or implied that Lord/Lady & Earl are royal titles? (Hint: no one)

Heck, I surely didn't understand much about British titles or the difference between royal titles and nobility titles until recently. And there's always something new to learn. In any case, there have been varying references here, as well as the CNN report linked by a poster previously, which is slightly inaccurate, as neither 'HRH' nor 'Prince' are courtesy titles:

Linked earlier in this thread:
"According to CNN’s Max Foster, the new parents have elected to forego the courtesy title of His Royal Highness (HRH) or prince, meaning that the newest member of the royal family will simply be known as , Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor."

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
If you can see red hair, you certainly have razor sharp visions :rolleyes:. It could also be a bit of bilirubin hue, as newborns do look a little orangish the first few days.

I'm not surprised by Harrison - a good way to incorporate a version of Harry in his name. Isn't Archibald a British name, so Archie is just a version of that name. Unlike other kids, as a royal Archie will probably not be teased about his name, Although, not a name that I would choose, I don't think it is as awful as some of you think.

:rolleyes: at you who are criticizing Meghan for being Hollywood. Seriously, if she stepped out of the hospital to show the baby off, you would criticize her for imitating Kate. She can't win because of the haterz.

I'm amazed that Meghan and Kate could walk out to show off the babies wearing those heels. After giving birth, I couldn't even get my tennis shoes tied.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Actually that article is wrong in so far as it states that Harry and Meghan have elected to forgo the HRH title when in fact their child is not entitled to that title at the moment - only when Charles becomes King. They seem to be not using the title the child is entitled to - which is the Earl of Dumbarton though I'm not sure they can actually deny him that title.

It is all WAAAAAY to confusing.

This from BBC News:
By deciding to call their son Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, Harry and Meghan have chosen not to use a title for their first born.
As the first born son of a duke, Archie could have become Earl of Dumbarton - one of Harry's subsidiary titles - or have been Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, but instead he will simply be Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.
BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said it was a "strong indication that they don't want to bring him up as a formal 'royal'".

Is there such a thing as an "informal royal"?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
:rolleyes: at you who are criticizing Meghan for being Hollywood. Seriously, if she stepped out of the hospital to show the baby off, you would criticize her for imitating Kate. She can't win because of the haterz.

As a non-hater IMO someone who wanted privacy, and then invites camera crews into her home, and gives all a good look at both the baby and surroundings sort of missed the point of privacy. That is Hollywood.

I chuckled when they talked about the baby being so sweet and good tempered.............well of course, his anesthetics haven't worn off LOL.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Windsor Castle is the esteemed home most weekends* of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, great-grandparents of little Archie. The historic castle is not part of Hollywood, nor is it the home of the Sussexes. They live in Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor estate.

* The Queen and especially Prince Philip in his retirement, are reportedly spending more time at Windsor Castle these days, as Buckingham Palace is undergoing renovations.

I see. One person means "everyone" to you.

It's a lot of people in America (the media here often are confused about royal goings-on ;)). Surely also in Britain and around the world, there are likely people who are unsurprisingly confused by British titles, and all the formalities surrounding British royalty. But please let's just enjoy the happy baby news. :)

Last edited:

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Isn't Archibald a British name, so Archie is just a version of that name. Unlike other kids, as a royal Archie will probably not be teased about his name.
I don't think he will be teased about his name, but if he were, he would be in good company because according to the BBC article I just read Archie was the 18th most popular boy's name in England and Wales in 2017. That article had a lovely photo of the Queen and Prince Philip all smiles admiring little Archie. :)

mag

As a non-hater IMO someone who wanted privacy, and then invites camera crews into her home, and gives all a good look at both the baby and surroundings sort of missed the point of privacy. That is Hollywood.

I chuckled when they talked about the baby being so sweet and good tempered.............well of course, his anesthetics haven't worn off LOL.

One more time, the photos were not taken in Harry and Meghan’s home. They were taken at the neighbouring Windsor Castle.

JJH

@skatingfan5 I also read the name "Archie" is currently very popular in Britain on a couple of websites. I seem to remember that Archie was in the top 10 from the 2018 data, published in 2019. I could be wrong. However, it seems that "Archie" like many other names is much more popular in Britain than in North America.

clairecloutier

I think Archie is a cute name, kind of fun. It would seem to be part of the trend of parents turning to names that were popular in the past, but aren't the main classic names that everyone knows. (Think Ivy, instead of Elizabeth.) It is maybe a bit surprising that they went for Archie as opposed to Archibald or Archer. But my guess is probably 90% or more of Archibalds probably become Archie day to day, anyhow. :D

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm amazed that Meghan and Kate could walk out to show off the babies wearing those heels. After giving birth, I couldn't even get my tennis shoes tied.
Kate and Meghan were wayyyyy more tiffed in their first photos with their babies than any of the Swedish princesses - who wore stretchy pants and comfy shoes in their hospital-leaving pictures. I hope this wasn't too hard on Kate/Meghan.

And speaking of Swedes: I interrupt this discussion of baby Archie & parents to share this delightful update about Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel dancing in Vietnam (in rather questionable pants, in Victoria's case).

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Whoa! That's a very old, rather obscure ancestor, but also very distinguished and heroic. I totally get the nod to a Scottish ancestor. Yet, has it been confirmed by the Palace that this ancestor is being honored?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...or-royal-baby-latest-news-live-meghan-markle/

"In slightly offbeat royal baby news, The Duke of Sussex has reached a settlement with a news agency which took pictures of his Cotswolds home from a helicopter, the High Court has heard.

Lawyers for the Duke told a judge in London on Wednesday that there had been a 'settlement of privacy and data protection complaints' made against Splash News and Picture Agency over photographs which showed 'the living area, dining area and bedroom' of the property.

The court heard that the photographs 'very seriously undermined the safety and security of the Duke' and his wife Meghan, who 'felt they were no longer able to live at the property.'"

Last edited:

Lorac

Actually according to US Weekly, which remains obsessed with all things Diana (likely for the SEO value and click throughs, let's be real), Harry has chosen this name in tribute to his late mother.

I'll save y'all clicking the article or looking it up - the reference is to Diana's ancestor Archibald Campbell, the 9th Earl of Argyll. Which makes totally perfect sense, doesn't everyone agree?

Yikes - that is stretching it a bit. And I doubt the 9th Earl was known as Archie!!

Jenny

From the Bloc
Yikes - that is stretching it a bit. And I doubt the 9th Earl was known as Archie!!

US Weekly is repeating it in other stories now like it's fact (they tend to milk every piece of news by posting a new story for every tiny fact or speculation) so I did a quick search, and lots of entertainment media have picked up on the idea, many reporting it like it's fact, or at least "likely" although I don't see any definitive sources to find out where this is coming from.

Seems ludicrous to me. Ancestor in question, while prominent in his time, live in the 1600s. If you're going to pay tribute to your late mother, one would think there would be other ways to do it.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Actually according to US Weekly, which remains obsessed with all things Diana (likely for the SEO value and click throughs, let's be real), Harry has chosen this name in tribute to his late mother.

I'll save y'all clicking the article or looking it up - the reference is to Diana's ancestor Archibald Campbell, the 9th Earl of Argyll. Which makes totally perfect sense, doesn't everyone agree?

@Lorac beat me to the punch. That reference is so obscure as to be invisible. What next? Oh yes, Diana had a son 1st. H&M were obviously copying her. They really wanted a girl but they also wanted to honor her so they changed. :rolleyes:

aftershocks

Banned Member
US Weekly is repeating it in other stories now like it's fact (they tend to milk every piece of news by posting a new story for every tiny fact or speculation) so I did a quick search, and lots of entertainment media have picked up on the idea, many reporting it like it's fact, or at least "likely" although I don't see any definitive sources to find out where this is coming from.

Seems ludicrous to me. Ancestor in question, while prominent in his time, live in the 1600s. If you're going to pay tribute to your late mother, one would think there would be other ways to do it.

Right, I'd like to see where the connection is to Diana. It doesn't appear to be a direct-line ancestral connection.

Right. It reminds me of the media rushing to suggest that the empty seat in front of the Queen at the royal wedding last May, somehow was left empty in honor of Diana. Not.

Lacey

If you check the photo that's available of the baby's face in close-up, there are faint wisps of red hair around the edges of the white wool cap he's wearing:
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv

Plus, I suspect that the name 'Archie' likely came to them after the baby was born. There's red hair on the Markle side of the family as well as the Spencer side. So yep, I believe little Archie of Sussex has red hair. :D

Meghan and Harry seem focused on raising their son as uniquely himself. I get that feeling. :)

I thought "Archie" was a joke like the comic, then I thought it was a reference to Harry's and baby's? red hair).

Whatever, but the "Harrison" for Harry's son is positively humorous.

Both parents seem to have senses of humor, good for them. Hope Granny Elizabeth gets it all.

I might have done, Archibald Harrison whatever the last name--but bald is not a great word ending, and it seems they went for humor and uniqueness all around.

Everyone will always know who Archie is.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Right, I'd like to see where the connection is to Diana. It doesn't appear to be a direct-line ancestral connection.

According to this, the 9th Earl of Argyll is a 10x great grandfather of Harry, through Diana's mother. Which, btw is name #7064 in what is a catalogue of direct ancestors, including handful of Archibalds. Literally thousands of direct ancestors, and that's the one they picked? A man who was executed for treason at that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information