Royalty Thread #16: the best of times, the worst of times

ballettmaus

Really? I don't read it, but I look at the covers when I'm in the grocery lineup. Apparently Kate was pregnant last September, Charles in going to abdicate (December), Taylor Swift is engaged (at least 4 covers in the last few months), Meghan was pregnant last May, Jennifer Aniston is having a baby (over a year ago)etc. The Duggar craziness has been on Youtube since long before In Touch covered it. I don't believe anything on its cover unless it's confirmed elsewhere.
Being pregnant for over a year must be exhausting ;)

ballettmaus

@MsZem There might be some tiaras in the near future :)

They will pay a state visit to Sweden from 6 to 7 in May, for example, followed by Norway from 14 to 15 May.

On a separate note, I think it's really good that they take these vacations that they just go on as a family. It sounds like a very healthy thing to do.

canbelto

In Touch often gets a lot of Hollywood stories right, because they're close with a lot of A-list stars' publicists. But with the BRF they're just like any other tabloid.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I saw that article too, but the other quotes in it make it clear the "palace insiders" aren't legit.

Obviously nothing Camilla would ever feel or say.

If any details of the type of cancer or prognosis is out, no one in traditional media is reporting it. Perhaps the trolls have just come up with a new tactic now that "where's Kate" is off the table.
I hope not but I have people in my life who comment on my taking care of DH & say they would never do the same. They say things like they would get a divorce or that they didn't sign up for that. Obviously not my close friends.

No matter how Camilla is taking care of her man she can't be looking forward to losing her love or the perks of being Queen - at the mercy of a step-son who may or may not consider her wants a priority.

canbelto

Camilla is independently wealthy. In fact, she actually has a house completely separate from Charles where she hangs out with her kids and grandkids. She'll be fine.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I don’t know how much to trust Wikipedia on this, but in the bio of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, it says that she became Queen Consort when her husband became King. After King George VI died, she would have continued to be Queen Elizabeth, and they only tacked on The Queen Mother to distinguish her from her daughter, the reigning monarch.

If true, and Queen Camilla outlives King Charles III, does that mean she will continue to be Queen Camilla?

It would be dumb of Prince William to diss her, since the number of working royals is getting smaller. Pettiness or vengefulness would not be a good look, especially as people question the usefulness of the royals.

MLIS

Yes, Camilla will still continue to be Queen, just as Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother), Queen Mary, and other widowed queens have been. Queen Mary explains it to someone in The Crown as she is a queen, but not the queen … in her case the queen would have been the reigning Queen Elizabeth II, in Camilla’s case the queen will be Catherine, wife of the king, but Camilla will still be a queen. In the case of the Queen Mother she still kept active in royal family affairs because it was her own daughter on the throne, and she was widowed relatively young. Camilla, I expect, will quietly retire (and I won’t blame her!).

canbelto

It's Louis's 6th birthday and the PoW has uploaded a picture to IG. Louis is a cute kid and looks so much like his mother.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

Jenny

From the Bloc
That's actually a really nicely done site - doesn't feel at all tabloid or sensationalist. Just spent a bit of time on it and found it to be respectful, factual reporting, nice images, well put together. Maybe it helps that I run and ad blocker?

Thanks for sharing @attyfan !

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yesterday, King Charles announced several personal honors - https://www.royal.uk/appointments

HRH The Duchess of Gloucester has been named a Royal Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter. Other new members include Andrew Lloyd-Webber.

HRH The Prince of Wales has been named Great Master of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath.

HM Queen Camilla has been named Grand Master and First or Principal Dame Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

and HRH The Princess of Wales has been named Royal Companion of The Order of the Companions of Honour. Catherine is the FIRST Royal to ever receive this honor and The Order of the Companions of Honour was founded by King George V in 1917 to recognise outstanding achievements in the Arts, Sciences, Medicine and Public Service.

So absolutely pleased for the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess of Wales. Speculation had been that the Duchess of Edinburgh might receive the Garter this year after her husband was named to the Order of the Thistle on his birthday last month, but there's plenty of time to still honor her in some way and the Duchess of Gloucester is celebrating 50 years of service to the Royal Family this year (she married Prince Richard in 1972 and they became the Duke & Duchess of Gloucester in 1974 when his father passed away).

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I actually wasn’t referring to the funeral preparations. The article mentions the type of cancer he may have. I was wondering about its accuracy. In Touch got the redacted reports regarding what Josh Duggar did. They confirmed all the rumors. I hope the information about King Charles isn’t true. I guess we’ll wait and see.

They got the police reports from the cops' visits to the Duggar homes, and IIRC they also got copies of the Child Protective Services reports. They were the only media outlet that dared to follow up on the rumours, and despite the Duggars' attempts to discredit them, everything they reported on turned out to be true. So they had good sources for that particular story.

However FWIW a lot of their Royals coverage is things that don't take a lot of imagination to make up and which aren't unreasonable to believe. Like "sources say" Kate is upset at people criticizing her early-years initiative. Basically, I don't get the sense that they have good, if any, sources for insider Royal news. I think they're trying to come up with things that won't get them sued but can still justify putting the Royals on the front cover.

Jenny

From the Bloc
However FWIW a lot of their Royals coverage is things that don't take a lot of imagination to make up and which aren't unreasonable to believe. Like "sources say" Kate is upset at people criticizing her early-years initiative. Basically, I don't get the sense that they have good, if any, sources for insider Royal news. I think they're trying to come up with things that won't get them sued but can still justify putting the Royals on the front cover.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. And even when sources are named, much of the time they are the same handful of "royal watchers," which makes them about as qualified to comment as all of us here on FSU. :)

Karen-W

Prince William visited a school in Birmingham today and shared with the students a joke that is currently Charlotte's favorite - very cute!

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
My royal moment of today: I was in the kitchen, preparing stuff for the pizzas we are going to have later on when suddenly a lot of police showed up in the street in front of our house.
Turns out Prince Albert of Monaco was here in Hamburg for a day trip with his family and they passed our house on their way back to the airport.

MLIS

Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles will be resuming public-facing engagements next week (starting with a visit to a cancer centre to meet staff and patients) and hosting the Emperor of Japan for a state visit in June. Sounds like his treatment and recovery are going well!

Karen-W

Buckingham Palace has announced that King Charles will be resuming public-facing engagements next week (starting with a visit to a cancer centre to meet staff and patients) and hosting the Emperor of Japan for a state visit in June. Sounds like his treatment and recovery are going well!
Beat me to it! It's great news! And I'm going to bet that Emperor Naruhito is made a Stranger Knight of the Garter at the State Visit since he isn't one yet (usually happens at the first State Visit a monarch makes after ascending the throne).

Hopefully this means that the rumored visit to Australia and New Zealand in the fall will also happen.

Vagabond

And I'm going to bet that Emperor Naruhito is made a Stranger Knight of the Garter at the State Visit since he isn't one yet (usually happens at the first State Visit a monarch makes after ascending the throne).
Stranger things have happened before and may happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information