Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Japanfan

This is an emotional topic, and a lot of ignorant, 'passive-aggressive shite' has been posted in these royalty threads against Meghan by a handful of posters here.

It's isn't an emotional topic for everyone - it certainly isn't for me. I only read this thread when I'm out of other things to read or do. Sometimes I find it interesting, more often I find it amusing, but TBH I don't care that much really about M&H, providing that they don't use Canadian tax dollars to fund their security should they reside in Canada.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
aftershocks said:
And as well, he preferred to continue with his military appointments but that wasn't possible.

I don't know why it wasn't possible but I view it as punishment by the Queen for daring to break away. Harry served 2 tours in Afganistan so he is entitled to the military honors he earned. I just lost a lot of respect for the RF.

Judy

I don't know why it wasn't possible but I view it as punishment by the Queen for daring to break away. Harry served 2 tours in Afganistan so he is entitled to the military honors he earned. I just lost a lot of respect for the RF.

There are probably reasons why that we are unaware of. I don’t think it’s a punishment though.

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't believe Harry is being stripped of any rank or recognition he achieved during his service, only that he has to give up his honorary appointments. I imagine his status will be that of an officer who has been honorably discharged - like any other veteran. This is appropriate given his desire to step back from royal life.

mag

British morning show This Morning. I like Camilla T. I have listened to her a number of times and she always seems quite reasonable and able to look at things from different points of view.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
These were Honorary Titles......not to be confused with commendations earned while in active service.

hanca

Values her privacy
The question is, did everyone who served 2 tours get the military honours, or did he get them because he was HRH? I admire your certainty that he earned the honours, but the same way as university titles can be handed out for achievements in sport, his honours could have been something similar.

becca

Harry is keeping the ranks he earned in service. He is not keeping his appointments that were given him by the Queen.

For example one of his appointments was Captain General of the Royal Marines inherited from his Grandfather the Duke. Part of it is simple The marines deserves a Captain General who is not “part time.”

puglover

British morning show This Morning. I like Camilla T. I have listened to her a number of times and she always seems quite reasonable and able to look at things from different points of view.

I can honestly say the comments I did not like from that interesting broadcast are the ones that claim because Harry is a prince of the realm that Canada should be required to provide and pay for all of their security. He even goes on to somewhat threaten if anything were to happen to Archie or one of them - it would be on Canada. I personally doubt this will wash with the Canadian taxpayers and Prime Minister Trudeau does not, IMHO, have the good will to push this through if that is what he wants to do, without major backlash. I am a royalist and love the royal family but I have many friends and associates that are not. This would enrage them.

mag

@puglover I completely agree. I have some sympathy for that photographer only because he has watched Harry grow up and he is clearly very emotional about this decision. His comments were still inappropriate. It is not Britain or the British people’s place to say how Canadian tax dollars should be spent. He did seem much less emotional a week ago when I saw him on another show so I think the reality of Harry leaving the UK has sunk in for him.

Judy

@puglover I completely agree. I have some sympathy for that photographer only because he has watched Harry grow up and he is clearly very emotional about this decision. His comments were still inappropriate. It is not Britain or the British people’s place to say how Canadian tax dollars should be spent. He did seem much less emotional a week ago when I saw him on another show so I think the reality of Harry leaving the UK has sunk in for him.

They won’t go unprotected.
i took a bit of issue with the photographer saying Diana had it worse and she didn’t leave the U.K. Diana still had young children and she couldn’t have removed them. Plus she was born there ... but yes Diana had it worse. Different times though too.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
i took a bit of issue with the photographer saying Diana had it worse and she didn’t leave the U.K. Diana still had young children and she couldn’t have removed them. Plus she was born there ... but yes Diana had it worse. Different times though too.
I'm not a fan of these sorts of comparisons. Everyone is different and what one person can endure or even thinks is a trial is different.

I think the real reason Diana couldn't leave is that she was the mother of a future King though. Also, she spent a lot of time outside the UK near the end. There are ways to "leave" without actually "leaving". I think that's actually what Harry was trying to do with his "have it both ways" proposal.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't believe Harry is being stripped of any rank or recognition he achieved during his service, only that he has to give up his honorary appointments. I imagine his status will be that of an officer who has been honorably discharged - like any other veteran. This is appropriate given his desire to step back from royal life.

He is no longer allowed to wear his uniform for events: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/prince-harry-barred-wearing-military-213000532.html

"His (unwilling) resignation from three honorary roles in the military will prevent him wearing uniform at public events such Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday at the cenotaph."

Above bolded mine. That seems punitive to me. He will be standing near to William who will be wearing his.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’d like to know if the Duke of Windsor has protection paid by the royal family when he abdicated the throne.

And if so, why shouldn’t H&M get it now?

mag

Okay, here are another set of views including some comments from the head guy at the Invictus Games. I agree with Robert Lacy that rebranding might be a good idea. I also think that they will come to some deal with NetFlix or Apple or someone and then there will be more than enough money flowing in to repay the Canadian government for their security thereby getting around the problem of firearms and private security.

@skategal I don’t think anyone is arguing they should be without security. It is a matter of who pays. The Duke of Windsor, I believe, also had no private money. They lived on a combination of an allowance from the crown and the good will of wealthy friend.

MsZem

I see the sea
He is no longer allowed to wear his uniform for events: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/prince-harry-barred-wearing-military-213000532.html

"His (unwilling) resignation from three honorary roles in the military will prevent him wearing uniform at public events such Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday at the cenotaph."

Above bolded mine. That seems punitive to me. He will be standing near to William who will be wearing his.
In other words, Harry is not being stripped of his rank or anything he has earned based on his actual, meaningful service.

I have no idea what the rules and social conventions are for retired military personnel wearing uniforms in the UK. William, as a working royal and future king, has honorary appointments. He's not wearing anything from his active service days.

For a change of pace, let's enjoy these pictures of Crown Princess Victoria in uniform:

Edit: OMG, this is even better!

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
Okay, here are another set of views including some comments from the head guy at the Invictus Games. I agree with Robert Lacy that rebranding might be a good idea. I also think that they will come to some deal with NetFlix or Apple or someone and then there will be more than enough money flowing in to repay the Canadian government for their security thereby getting around the problem of firearms and private security.

@skategal I don’t think anyone is arguing they should be without security. It is a matter of who pays. The Duke of Windsor, I believe, also had no private money. They lived on a combination of an allowance from the crown and the good will of wealthy friend.

Yes I know No one is arguing that H&M shouldn’t have security. I was just saying if the Duke got his paid for by the BRF, precedent has been set and perhaps H&M should have theirs paid for too by the BRF or at least a contribution towards it.

Reactions: mag

Peaches LaTour

Diana had stated the possibility of living, part time, in the U.S. Kevin Costner had a signed contractual agreement with her for film work. When The Queen challenged that fact, Costner told her to be very careful with her comments because he did "have it in writing, Diana's signature".

I am so glad H & M picked Canada as their secondary home. You guys are more than welcome to the headaches they will represents for you.

Barbara Manatee

I have no idea what the rules and social conventions are for retired military personnel wearing uniforms in the UK. William, as a working royal and future king, has honorary appointments. He's not wearing anything from his active service days.
According to the article @taf2002 linked -
Retired service personnel can wear their medals - but not their uniform - at official engagements once they have left the military.
So Harry will simply be following the same protocol as every other retired service member.

I'm sure it hurts because he feels a strong connection to the military, but there's no reason he can't continue his good work supporting the same causes out of uniform.

He really did think he could have it all, didn't he?

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Also, that was a very long time ago and I doubt they had the sort of security that Harry & Meghan will need. I'm not sure the Duke of Windsor's situation sets any precedents for the Duke of Sussex's situation.

Reactions: mag

Lorac

Actually Edward had a substantial amount of money hidden away and lied about it to his brother to get a more favourable allowance from him. He also inherited Sandringham and Balmoral outright as the heir and George VI had to buy them back from him. It was that money that was used to set up an allowance that George VI topped up.

King Edward VIII's Finances

attyfan

Don't know about security (although Edward VIII didn't have an infant who would be a great kidnap target), but I found this article on the financial arrangements for the Duke of Windsor ... who salted away a lot from the Duchy of Cornwall:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes I know. No one is arguing that H&M shouldn’t have security. I was just saying if the Duke got his paid for by the BRF, precedent has been set and perhaps H&M should have theirs paid for too by the BRF or at least a contribution towards it.

I suspect that security was a lot simpler and less expensive in the Duke's day. And the Duke did some BRF duties after his abdication, e.g. serving as Governor of Bermuda. That would have justified the BRF providing some security. Since H&M have officially stepped down from royal duties, I'm not sure if any precedent set in the Duke's time would be relevant.

Parsley Sage

Their correspondents can and will. I would guess that the tabloids will be even more interested in H&M now that they are the outcasts and rebels of the BRF.

Meghan took Archie and the dogs for a hike today.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Meghan took Archie and the dogs for a hike today.

:rofl: I'm surprised the Daily Mail was able to find them, since their reporters apparently don't have a map. Horth Hill is on Vancouver Island. Vancouver (a big city, hard to miss) is on the BC mainland. Not the same thing at all.

mag

:rofl: I'm surprised the Daily Mail was able to find them, since their reporters apparently don't have a map. Horth Hill is on Vancouver Island. Vancouver (a big city, hard to miss) is on the BC mainland. Not the same thing at all.

I am also a bit :lol: that these are the first papperazzi photos we have seen of Meghan and Archie - now that they have moved on to get away from the press. Seriously though, Meghan looks happy, Archie is certainly growing and will be out of that snugly in no time. I suspect Harry is anxious to be with them. I am not a dog expert, but I think Guy must be a beagle cross of some sort. Is he a rescue dog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information