Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

I just read that the Daily Mail is saying in court documents that because Meghan's letter to her father was so neat looking, she meant to have it be made public. And that her dad is willing to testify at the trial. My goodness. Could they be worse? I don't think so.

I think that is right up there with “Look what she was wearing, she asked for it.” I would be fascinated to know if a man being neat was ever accused of wanting something private to be public. I suspect not.

For the record, not legally speaking because I am not a lawyer, where I think Meghan loses credibility with this claim is the fact that her “friends” mentioned the letter in People Magazine. Whether or not she specifically approved of that, those “friends” clearly knew of the letter and it’s contents.

canbelto

@Husky I was reading an article about twitter bots and how easy it is to generate "authentic" sounding responses based on some buzzwords already popular on the internet. I notice that the DailyMail's "top comments" are always the most extreme and racist, so I'm always wondering whether these are bots and the DailyMail is trying to monetize some eyeballs.

Husky

I think it’s hard to judge a whole nation and everyone in it, young and old, by tabloids. I imagine it would be like saying that Fox News represents every USA citizen.

For example a lot of people just call the Australian edition of Daily Mail the ‘Daily Fail’.

Who judged a whole nation by tabloids?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
To change things up a bit. Here is a video of William and Kate’s engagement today. I love how William bangs the drum but is totally okay with not really having a lot of rhythm.

Thanks. That was fun to watch.

The Telegraph
Not just how, for the past 68 years, has she played such a blinder on the throne. But also how on earth did she manage to get along so well with her effortlessly popular and headstrong younger sister, despite their being so different in temperament?

mag

starrynight

Engagement in the comments gives news sites repeat traffic and increases ad revenue. That’s why I think the Daily Mail works as hard as possible to create click bait and spicy comments. It’s a business model.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There are also people who post the same comment over and over because they have no life and haunt the comments sections of online newspapers. :D

Husky

@Husky I was reading an article about twitter bots and how easy it is to generate "authentic" sounding responses based on some buzzwords already popular on the internet. I notice that the DailyMail's "top comments" are always the most extreme and racist, so I'm always wondering whether these are bots and the DailyMail is trying to monetize some eyeballs.

Do you think that it is possible that DM creates its own comments via bots or through their own software? I am asking because these top rated comments very often reflect the arguments of the article above. I find it also remarkable that the reactions @DailyMail on twitter usually don't mirror the many negative reactions below the original article.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’ve heard that there are actually people who are hired to post inflammatory comments on websites (hired by the owners

I don’t know how true that is but I wouldn’t doubt it for a second.

I do know that the opposite is true (employees were told to give positive product reviews on online store websites.)

canbelto

Do you think that it is possible that DM creates its own comments via bots or through their own software? I am asking because these top rated comments very often reflect the arguments of the article above. I find it also remarkable that the reactions @DailyMail on twitter usually don't mirror the many negative reactions below the original article.

I definitely think there’s something manufactured about the comments. I notice that like an hour after am article is published there’s thousands of comments. 10,000 people cannot care THAT much about the Queen going to church on Christmas.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If I've learned anything in the past few days, it's that MM's handwriting is Level 4, +5.

Also, you all must be better people than me who eschew the Daily Fail because if any of you were going there, this article about Nanaimo Bars would have been posted.

Judy

If I've learned anything in the past few days, it's that MM's handwriting is Level 4, +5.

Also, you all must be better people than me who eschew the Daily Fail because if any of you were going there, this article about Nanaimo Bars would have been posted.

lol they are very good. That must have been it.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I think that is right up there with “Look what she was wearing, she asked for it.” I would be fascinated to know if a man being neat was ever accused of wanting something private to be public. I suspect not.

For the record, not legally speaking because I am not a lawyer, where I think Meghan loses credibility with this claim is the fact that her “friends” mentioned the letter in People Magazine. Whether or not she specifically approved of that, those “friends” clearly knew of the letter and it’s contents.

Neat handwriting and good grammar are different than a response to how one is dressed.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Engagement in the comments gives news sites repeat traffic and increases ad revenue. That’s why I think the Daily Mail works as hard as possible to create click bait and spicy comments. It’s a business model.

The Daily Mail website is the most visited newspaper website in the world.

The Mail is evil but they know that they're doing to attract hits. That feature on the site where they show what a celebrity is wearing, and then show an outfit in the stores that's similar? That outfit sells out online within minutes of the article being posted.

Husky

I definitely think there’s something manufactured about the comments. I notice that like an hour after am article is published there’s thousands of comments. 10,000 people cannot care THAT much about the Queen going to church on Christmas.

I am happy that I am not the only one who thought this is fishy. I am reading DM since Christmas and got more and more irritated. :COP:

Personally I believe this is a campaign and DM is much more influential than other newspapers want to admit. Because DM has usually the newest pics of all newspapers, so all the other journalists go there and have a look.

Just want to insert a quote from the Guardian (the article is worth reading since it also deals with Harry's future relationship to the press):

“He (Harry) has grown increasingly into adulthood irritated with media coverage and had an almost unhealthy obsession with it, to the extent he would even read the comments beneath the articles online. He would then take up issues with the correspondents from those papers when he met them."

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Husky this is an interesting article, but I don't agree with Harry's behaviour being an "unhealthy obsession". He's certainly not the only person in the public eye who reads as much as they can about themselves (or gets someone to do it for them) and then complains to the reporters about how their employers cover him.

And if he's complaining that the papers should delete the really offensive comments under stories about him or Meghan, I have to say I agree with him.

puglover

I am happy that I am not the only one who thought this is fishy. I am reading DM since Christmas and got more and more irritated. :COP:

Personally I believe this is a campaign and DM is much more influential than other newspapers want to admit. Because DM has usually the newest pics of all newspapers, so all the other journalists go there and have a look.

Just want to insert a quote from the Guardian (the article is worth reading since it also deals with Harry's future relationship to the press):

“He (Harry) has grown increasingly into adulthood irritated with media coverage and had an almost unhealthy obsession with it, to the extent he would even read the comments beneath the articles online. He would then take up issues with the correspondents from those papers when he met them."

becca

I think any time your in the public eye your going to face craziness from the media. I don’t think Meghan understood this she was a minor celebrity I didn’t know who she was till she dated Harry.

It is unfortunate and a bad part of our culture. I don’t think the hazing is okay.

I actually do think the racial comments are worse.

But I also feel if the rising unpopularity is just based on racism there is no learning.

Many of the public is upset about having to pay. And I was reading if they reside in US we may have to pay!

And they way went about it.

I do think they were popular in the beginning so it’s unfair to say it’s about race.

I really think if there plan is to be international celebrities they are still going to get the media attention and criticism.

I think in someways you do have to just learn to care less about what other people think of you. Sometimes caring to much actually makes it worse.
It’s something I am working on for myself. Someone told me a few weeks ago “if you care to much about what others think you are always performing.”
I just hope it works I do for them they have a young Child but I am not so sure this is going to give Harry the life he wants free of media.

Last edited:

canbelto

@Husky this is an interesting article, but I don't agree with Harry's behaviour being an "unhealthy obsession". He's certainly not the only person in the public eye who reads as much as they can about themselves (or gets someone to do it for them) and then complains to the reporters about how their employers cover him.

And if he's complaining that the papers should delete the really offensive comments under stories about him or Meghan, I have to say I agree with him.

I don't think reading trash rags is ever healthy. There's a reason they are known as trash rags. Their business model is misleading click bait articles. With that being said I do think celebs should have a team of lawyers if there is something truly libelous.

@becca I disagree that we can't learn something from the racist trolls. Like it or not most of them are real people behind a keyboard. If they truly feel such vile thoughts about Meghan or Archie ... well, something is wrong in our society. FWIW I think that most of society is irredeemably racist. I actually think racism will only get worse, not better. We can now create our own social media bubbles. I've seen some of my conservative friends and they post gorilla memes of Michelle Obama and get validation in a ton of likes and reshares.

becca

I don't think reading trash rags is ever healthy. There's a reason they are known as trash rags. Their business model is misleading click bait articles. With that being said I do think celebs should have a team of lawyers if there is something truly libelous.

@becca I disagree that we can't learn something from the racist trolls. Like it or not most of them are real people behind a keyboard. If they truly feel such vile thoughts about Meghan or Archie ... well, something is wrong in our society. FWIW I think that most of society is irredeemably racist. I actually think racism will only get worse, not better. We can now create our own social media bubbles. I've seen some of my conservative friends and they post gorilla memes of Michelle Obama and get validation in a ton of likes and reshares.

Not every criticism of Meghan and Harry was due to race. There were other criticism that were fair.

The public in the U.K. is upset because they feel a lot of tax dollars went to Harry and Meghan and they don’t want to keep up their end of the bargain. Not only that but they feel they are still expected to pay security. Canadians are also saying they don’t want to pay the security. They also don’t feel the Queen was treated well.

I don’t think William and Kate would be well liked if they did that.

starrynight

Far out. If Harry has fallen into the trap of reading those comments then no wonder he is in a bad space.

He needs to have taken a leaf out of Zagitova’s book who replaced her phone with one with no internet so she couldn’t be tempted to read the social networks.

canbelto

Not every criticism of Meghan and Harry was due to race. There were other criticism that were fair.

Which ones? I'm genuinely curious bc I didn't ever see a critical comment of Meghan that didn't go back to race. Like "her hair is falling out of her bun, it should be neat and shiny with no wisps" was a common one. On the surface that had nothing to do with race. But those are white standards of beauty that most white women can't even live up to.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

The public in the U.K. is upset because they feel a lot of tax dollars went to Harry and Meghan and they don’t want to keep up their end of the bargain. Not only that but they feel they are still expected to pay security. Canadians are also saying they don’t want to pay the security. They also don’t feel the Queen was treated well.

I don’t think William and Kate would be well liked if they did that.

Canadians do not all think alike. Neither does everyone in the UK. Stop with the ridiculously broad generalizations.

becca

Canadians do not all think alike. Neither does everyone in the UK. Stop with the ridiculously broad generalizations.
It’s what a lot of the polls in the U.K. and Canada are saying. They can do what they want but we don’t want to pay for their security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information