Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

becca

Meghan's title isn't inherited either. She got it from marrying Harry. Kate got her title from marrying William. Why does it matter if the title is inherited or not? The titles in Canada are still titles granted by the Queen. And so are the life peer titles in the UK.

If you agree that polls don't speak for everyone, then stop saying "Canadians feel this" or "people in the UK feel this".
So you read something where someone gave their opinion that if H&M move to the US (unlikely) that we might have to pay for their security. IOW, it's all speculation and opinon. But it feeds your narrative that these two are entitled and greedy so let's all get upset about it!

Again we don't know that.

It's fun to speculate, but when people take their speculation and opinions and use it to bash people over what they've decided those people think in their heart, that's not fun anymore IMO.

Apparently we normally do for the royal family when they come so there would need to be an agreement and there are talks eventually they do.

I don’t know either of them to say they are bad people. Do I think their actions come across as a bit entitled yes. But I guess if you grew up royalty that could easily happen. No one is all good or all bad.

MsZem

I see the sea
@Zemgirl I hadn’t realize there were 17 Swedish citizens on the plane shot down by Iran. So very sad. On a happier note, Victoria and Daniel look like very warm and engaging people.
I wasn't aware, either - the focus has been on the Canadian victims, probably because there are so many of them :(

The Swedish royal family has done a really good job of blending royal life and normal life, or at least so it seems. It helps that they don't draw as much interest as the BRF. Victoria and Daniel will celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary this summer, and her wedding dress remains one of my royal favorites.

I miss OoS.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Academically, that would be accepted as representative then. Exactly these sort of plattforms are often specifically created for scientic research.

It would not be accepted as representative in many academic disciplines. This is not a panel where people are contacted and asked to participate, either once or to be listed for future surveys. This is a panel where people have to know that the panel exists, find the website, and choose to register. If nothing else, that narrows the potential population of respondents to people who have reliable Internet access and are computer-literate.

The choice of respondents from that panel for any survey may be randomized, or the potential respondents may be chosen to represent certain demographics. But the panel itself is not random or representative.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I would say that for the seriousness of the questions being asked (not very, honestly), it's probably an okay way to select the respondents. But it's not very vigorous and so you have to be careful how you generalize from it.

mag

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Who do you think owns that land and those resources? Money, no matter how much you have, is finite. That means money spent on Harry and Meghan is not available to spend elsewhere. I also completely disagree in waiting and complaining. One, because in a democracy it is irresponsible, and two, once a decision has been announced, it is unlikely to be reversed. The more talk there about this (okay, not specifically on FSU) the more information the government has. Petitions, talk shows etc provide the government with needed real time feedback about how taxpayers are feeling.

As for here on FSU, it is not like there is a ton of other royal news being posted and ignored. If someone has something else to talk about, bring it on.

You said every dime, mag. That clearly was an exaggeration. I agree about complaining about policy in government but complaining on FSU changes nothing. But complain on about something that hasn't happened because that's so interesting to others. Especially if you say the same things over & over.

mag

Sounds like a nice event. I can't help pointing out, that gasp... Kate has her legs crossed on an official royal outing. I must have missed the outrage about her "breaking royal protocol". Just sayin.

I would just like to follow up on the “breaking royal protocol” thing. This is often reported as a compliment. It all depends where the recipient is in the timeline. All of Diana, Sarah, Kate, and Meghan have had that headline when they were first on the scene. It was part of the whole “breath of fresh air” thing which the new one gets called and the reference is to the previous one being to tame or tied to protocol. There was lots of this when Sarah arrived and it was always a positive to Sarah and a negative to Diana. The same thing happened when Meghan arrived. She was “modernizing the monarchy” and had such a “fresh fashion sense.” All written to either subtly infer that Kate was neither of those things or actually outright say she wasn’t. It is nasty, lazy, journalism, but is not in anyway specific to either Kate or Meghan.

canbelto

I would just like to follow up on the “breaking royal protocol” thing. This is often reported as a compliment. It all depends where the recipient is in the timeline. All of Diana, Sarah, Kate, and Meghan have had that headline when they were first on the scene. It was part of the whole “breath of fresh air” thing which the new one gets called and the reference is to the previous one being to tame or tied to protocol. There was lots of this when Sarah arrived and it was always a positive to Sarah and a negative to Diana. The same thing happened when Meghan arrived. She was “modernizing the monarchy” and had such a “fresh fashion sense.” All written to either subtly infer that Kate was neither of those things or actually outright say she wasn’t. It is nasty, lazy, journalism, but is not in anyway specific to either Kate or Meghan.

Some of the "royal protocol" rules seem totally made up. If you followed all the "royal protocol" rules I can only conclude that you can't do anything.

Here's some of the rules I've read:
1) Can't take your coat off indoors
2) Can't wear flat shoes
3) Can't wear pants
4) Can't wear nail polish
5) Can't wear open toed shoes
6) Can't go bare-legged in any conditions
7) Can't cross legs
8) Can't eat in public
9) Can't drink in public
10) Can't touch hair in public
11) Can't look into the camera
12) Can't cross ankles -- must do "Duchess slant"
13) Can't open doors
14) Can't close doors
15) Can't say thank you
16) Can't laugh
17) Can't show more than six teeth when smiling
18) Can't eat finger foods
19) Can't eat seafood
20) Can't wear black

I must have missed about 100 rules.

Last edited:

Judy

Some of the "royal protocol" rules seem totally made up. If you followed all the "royal protocol" rules I can only conclude that you can't do anything.

2) Can't wear flat shoes
3) Can't wear pants
7) Can't cross legs
8) Can't eat in public
9) Can't drink in public
13) Can't open doors
14) Can't close doors
15) Can't say thank you
16) Can't laugh
19) Can't eat seafood
20) Can't wear black

I think there are about 10 billion rules 🤣.

becca

2) Can't wear flat shoes
3) Can't wear pants
7) Can't cross legs
8) Can't eat in public
9) Can't drink in public
13) Can't open doors
14) Can't close doors
15) Can't say thank you
16) Can't laugh
19) Can't eat seafood
20) Can't wear black

I heard the Queen told Michelle Obama that she thought the protocol was silly. She apparently also made a point of wearing the brooch they gave her.
Statement from HM The Queen & Buckingham Palace

So, it's done. They won't use their HRH and won't be representing the BRF at all. Clearly, they won't be able to monetize their royal status. I'd call this the Duke of Windsor treatment 2020-style. I did not expect to see quite this outcome.

I

So, it's done. They won't use their HRH and won't be representing the BRF at all. Clearly, they won't be able to monetize their royal status. I'd call this the Duke of Windsor treatment 2020-style. I did not expect to see quite this outcome.

I don’t think there is half in and half out status. I mean who wouldn’t want to be part time royalty?
There are a lots of aspects of my job I don’t like but I don’t get to pick and chose. And I am not talking about the crazy press but more the idea that they would only get to focus on the duties they like.

Plus if they want to pursue commercial deals it doesn’t look good on the royal family if the titles are used.

I think them paying back the refurbishments will help them with the public.

Lorac

So does that mean the 'SussexRoyal' webpage needs rebranding or is it just they won't be know as TRH the Duke and Duchess of Sussex but still be known as the plain old Duke and Duchess of Sussex? The fact they are no longer representing the royal family at all is interesting but probably the only way they could move forwards.

becca

I don’t think it’s Duke of Windsor treatment because I think they could maybe come back if they like but only if things like the refurbishments are paid.

it’s more of a you will now enjoy the status of Zara and Peter.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So does that mean the 'SussexRoyal' webpage needs rebranding or is it just they won't be know as TRH the Duke and Duchess of Sussex but still be known as the plain old Duke and Duchess of Sussex? The fact they are no longer representing the royal family at all is interesting but probably the only way they could move forwards.
Oh, it basically means that everything related to the monarchy on their SussexRoyal website has been shot to pieces completely, lol. They're going to have to rebrand entirely.

Some royal reporters are saying on Twitter that this will be effective this spring when they officially launch their foundation and they'll be back to do more engagements in the next 2 months before it takes effect, and that there will be a review of this agreement/plan in one year. So, that explains why the HRH wasn't completely removed. There is at least a chance they could come back into the fold if they find things aren't working out quite as they had envisioned.

becca

I wouldn’t be surprised if the HRH isn’t removed because they want to make it easy for Harry to come back into the fold too if there is a divorce.......

please don’t get me wrong I hope there isn’t one and it works but I don’t like the optics of her leaving while he works out the deal and I wonder how happy he will be. But hope it works out and they are happy.

Honestly the website was poorly thought anyways. The funds from the Duchy are Charles to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information