Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It looks like the networks/newspapers/websites are hauling in anyone who ever had anything to do with the Royals in the past few decades, to be "experts" on the H&M situation.

Diana walked right past the lamppost I was standing on when she and Charles visited Victoria in 1986. I'm waiting for my phone to ring any time now :fsu10:

Lorac

So the talks between Harry and the rest of the BRF are apparently including both the British government and the Canadian government. I guess that is the to do with the security issues.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
As a Canadian taxpayer I can see things not being so welcoming if our tax dollars start going towards security to this couple so they can live in seclusion. There has to be a benefit to the country before I accept that. They really put the cart before the horse on this plan.

skategal

Bunny mama
As a Canadian taxpayer I can see things not being so welcoming if our tax dollars start going towards security to this couple so they can live in seclusion. There has to be a benefit to the country before I accept that. They really put the cart before the horse on this plan.

Yes I'm sure many of us wouldn't want our tax dollars going to their security but it is good that the Canadian government is involved in the talks. There will be an impact on policing for sure if H&M move here. I imagine the RCMP would at a minimum need to know all details of their movements even if they do have their own private security.

Maybe they are trying to work out a deal where by the existing cost of H&M's security could be paid to Canada officers to provide the same thing over here rather than having security officers travel back and forth? Who knows?

Seems they are serious though about making Canada one of their home bases. :shuffle: :)

MsZem

I see the sea
Starrynight made a good point in the previous thread - whether the announcement was effective or not really depends on who the target audience for it was:
It's very interesting to me, this announcement. There's a huge section of social media that is revelling in it in a very very pro-Meghan, go girl, down with the monarchy way. From what I can tell, it's probably the same section of twitter that loves it when Beyonce does something cool, or other TV stars or musicians etc.
I'm seeing a lot of "you go girl" type posts too, plus variations on Harry doing Princess Diana proud. And not just on social media - here, for instance, is romance novelist Alyssa Cole in the Washington Post:
The media and rabid Meghan foes seemed to grow even more angry — how dare they expect pity? And the royal family? They did nothing. So, Meghan and Harry stopped history from repeating itself; they broke the dysfunctional cycle and wrote their own happily ever after. In this new storybook ending, people don’t have to wallow in the toxic mire because that’s how things are in this family. Black women don’t have to stay strong in the face of racist vitriol as some kind of perverse toll for being in the public eye. You can pack your bags and leave, and even the disappointment of the queen of England can’t stop you.
There is a captive audience for the idea that Meghan is the driving force behind a modern life fairytale in which Harry has to be saved from the clutches of his eeeeeevil family and racist country ("she rescues him right back", as it were). I don't know that this narrative is more real than Markle as some eeeeeevil interloper who can't get along with anyone. People are complicated, and they sometimes make decisions that aren't necessarily well thought out or considerate of others. It's not a reason to drag them, but it's not something to gush about either.

Judy

So the talks between Harry and the rest of the BRF are apparently including both the British government and the Canadian government. I guess that is the to do with the security issues.

where do you see this?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Am confused by this set of quotes of "Philippe Lagasse, Barton Chair of International Affairs at Carleton University's Norman Paterson School and an expert on the Westminster system" in the cbc article:

As for the notion of making Harry governor general, Lagasse points out that it would represent a step backwards in terms of Canada's sovereignty.

"Since the mid-20th century, we've stopped appointing British aristocrats as governor general. It's now customary to appoint Canadians who are renowned. There's no legal impediment to it, he could be named, but the justification for doing it would be sorely lacking."

Lagasse said "the other big impediment is that this is an appointment made by the Queen."

It doesn't appear that Lagasse represents the Queen. So is the appointment made by the Queen of the Canadian government ("we")? Does the Canadian government nominate candidates who are approved by the Queen? Can the Queen appoint anyone she wants, regardless of the wishes of the Canadian government?

skategal

Bunny mama
unlikely that would happen though plus the position is filled.

I heard that the position of Govenor General might only be filled on an election to election basis.

Did Trudeau or Payette ever say that she was staying on?

But I agree it’s unlikely considering the Sussexes have said that they will split their time between UK and NA.

I don’t think a part time GG is possible. Lol!

Parsley Sage

The Canadian Government submits a suggested candidate for Governor General and the Queen approves the appointment. The term of the Governor General is usually around 5 years. Present GG, Julie Payette, took office in the fall of 2017.
Julie Payette is a former astronaut. She's very well educated. Harry isn't.

Being GG isn't a particularly glamorous position. It's a lot of speeches and attending memorials and funerals and presenting awards. There is no significant jewellery. Julie Payette doesn't wear a tiara to deliver the speech from the throne to open parliament.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....

Aren't you putting the cart before the horse? Let's wait & see if the Canadian people are affected at all by this move. BTW H&M said they would be splitting their time between the US & UK, not Canada. So maybe they won't settle there anyway.

I think it likely that most of these details have been decided between H&M. I think they were doing more than just vacationing for 6 wks. It may be that someone in the family forced their hand into a premature announcement.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Aren't you putting the cart before the horse? Let's wait & see if the Canadian people are affected at all by this move. BTW H&M said they would be splitting their time between the US & UK, not Canada. So maybe they won't settle there anyway.

I think it likely that most of these details have been decided between H&M. I think they were doing more than just vacationing for 6 wks. It may be that someone in the family forced their hand into a premature announcement.

Not really. I did say if our tax dollars go towards their security. Only making a comment on where I would have an issue, in general I don't care where they live or what they do. I just think the financials of their decision will be a point where they could see a drop in support.

Judy

From their new website it looks like they want to continue their charity work which isn’t surprising.

manhn

Their Vancouver Island Home will be part of tourists’ Victoria itineraries. It’s better than Butchart Gardens, if you ask me. They will likely do more appearances around Canada just due to proximity. The tourism dollars and media attention can benefit Canada.

You go, Meghan!!!

Lorac

They actually said they would be splitting their time between the UK and North America - last time I checked Canada was part of North America!! And the fact the Canadian Government is being included in the discussions currently going on seems to indicate Canada is possible spot for them to base themselves on the North American continent.

PDilemma

Meghan didn’t skip out on a family discussion to rightly leave it to Harry. She skipped out on a job related meeting with her employers. The BRF is a working institution as well as a family. And this debacle is a matter that concerns the working institution.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I was not speaking about Meghan. I was speaking about the Duchy of Cornwall. As discussed in subsequent posts. The Duchy of Cornwall has no tax liability in the US.
Actually I was referring to the income from the Duchy which was 2.7 million pounds last year. The Duchy provides an income to Prince Charles.
Harry receives the bulk of his income from Prince Charles.........who gets a large portion of his income from......the Duchy.

Also the 30,000,000 Harry received from Diana came into Harry's control when Harry turned 30.

Thus the tax on their income.

mella

Actually I was referring to the income from the Duchy which was 2.7 million pounds last year. The Duchy provides an income to Prince Charles.
Harry receives the bulk of his income from Prince Charles.........who gets a large portion of his income from......the Duchy.

Also the 30,000,000 Harry received from Diana came into Harry's control when Harry turned 30.

Well I can see how there might be a definition under which funding Meghan receives might be treated as income. I don't know anything about US tax law to know if that would/would not be the case. But as a point of interest are you saying that despite Harry not being a US citizen his inheritance bequeathed before he married Meghan becomes taxable under US law? That seems harsh for him (or any one with some money marrying a US citizen whilst not taking US citizenship as far as we know)... of course what ever Archie or other children inherit in turn will be taxed I get that.

Last edited:

Judy

I wonder how they will handle Archie’s schooling once he reaches that age. Lots of time to figure that out I guess.

Lorac

Where is this figure of 30,000,000 from Diana coming form? According to this link both William and Harry inherited approx. £10,000,000 each on their 30th birthdays.

Who inherited what from Princess Di's will.

The Queen Mother certainly left more to Harry than William due to the fact that William is destined to have access to the funds produced from the Duchy of Cornwall at some point as well as become sovereign. Diana however spilt her estate equally between her boys.

mag

The Queen Mother certainly left more to Harry than William due to the fact that William is destined to have access to the funds produced from the Duchy of Cornwall at some point as well as become sovereign.

This rationale is what makes me think that Harry will no longer have access to the Duchy of Cornwall funds once William becomes the Prince of Wales. It may seem harsh, but it is a way of protecting property/wealth so that the sovereign and her or his heirs are never beholden to anyone for money. Now I don’t know what Harry and Meghan’s expectations are, but I would expect that at least Harry would understand that is how it works. Again, he is significantly better off than his predecessors because of his inheritance from his mother. 10 million pounds (which is approximately 17 million CAD.) Invested well for the last 5 year I would expect he would have earned a minimum of 8% per year over the last 5 years.

On another note, because I have been stuck on the couch, I took the time to go through their website. It does not look like a website for people who want to move to a quieter life. I really don’t understand where all the “he is just trying to protect his family” stuff comes from. First, that is very patronizing, but that aside, moving away and embarking on a goal to become worldwide celebrity charity workers would seem, to me at least, to be opening yourself up to more media and social media scrutiny. Not all of the criticism to date has been based on the fact that they receive taxpayer funding, or because Meghan is biracial. Some has been because of hypocritical things they have done and their sometimes lack of self awareness and appreciation for the exorbitant privileged they have. I don’t see any of that changing just because they move to Canada. A number of the news reports that they have claimed were lies have actually turned out to be true. Again, I don’t see that changing unless they learn the important lesson of just because you don’t like the news, doesn’t make it not true.

Will be interesting to see where this all ends.

manhn

As if just because not all of the media garbage is based on racism is okay. And who are these non privileged non hypocritical Royals? As if Meghan has to be perfect to not be treated like garbage.

I don’t see the Canadian press hounding her now. It was mentioned a few minutes on local news and a few minutes on The National. There were British people who died on that plane too. Whatever media attention is placed on Harry and Meghan is a reflection of the British press, not Harry and Meghan.

Judy

As if just because not all of the media garbage is based on racism is okay. And who are these non privileged non hypocritical Royals? As if Meghan has to be perfect to not be treated like garbage.

I don’t see the Canadian press hounding her now. It was mentioned a few minutes on local news and a few minutes on The National. There were British people who died on that plane too. Whatever media attention is placed on Harry and Meghan is a reflection of the British press, not Harry and Meghan.

Oh for sure. The Cdn press is ..l well it isn’t the U.K. press. The U.K. press pays huge money For pictures, leaks etc. The Cdn press doesn’t.

as for racism .. in my world people are people. I am white but I don’t consider myself a superior race ... that makes me gag. I think the two of them are lovely.

Lorac

And the plane crash has been the headline on the news for the past couple of days here in the UK with the royals saga moving down the order. Yes the royals are probably getting more airtime than over in Canada but that's because we are in the UK and it is our royal family. And to be honest I'm sick and tired of hearing that she was hounded by the British media - she wasn't hounded at all. She just didn't like some of the reporting that came her way. If you want to see hounding I suggest you go back and look at some of the video's of Diana being chased through airports and down streets by the paparazzi - literally running from them. Now that was hounding and pretty bad it was too. That has certainly never happened to Meghan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information