RIP Alex Trebek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovepaydays

I liked Mike Richards when he hosted. I believe Richards was one of the finalists to host The Price is Right before the job was ultimately given to Drew Carey.

I thought that Aaron Rodgers did overall the best job and I think he definitely should get a game show when his NFL career is over.

screech

When Mike Richards actually hosted, I remember him getting a lot of praise online. I didn't particularly love him, but he was really well liked (at that point).
I feel like a lot of the people (not everyone) criticizing the choice are the ones who were VERY vocal about wanting LeVar Burton. I had high hopes for LeVar, but IMO he did not do a good job. If you look at the Jeopardy threads on Twitter right now, a lot of the comments are still about people wanting LeVar (and those often have comments with people saying LeVar didn't do a great job).

Buzzy was my absolute favourite of the hosts. I enjoyed Mayim as well. Aaron Rodgers got a lot better as he went on, however I found that he sounded like he was falling asleep when reading the clues sometime. I was surprised with how much I enjoyed Ken as a host. I also wish that Brad Rutter would have done a run, as while he's not as sharp with answering as he once was, he has a good speaking voice, is personable, and would know what he's doing.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Mike Richards was my number one choice. I also liked Buzz Cohen, Anderson Cooper and Aaron Rodgers. I like Joe Buck who is currently guest hosting. They should have given the Oz spot to him. Any of these five would have made a good host. I thought Richards was the best, and Cohen a close second.

So what if the winner is a white male? We don't want to discriminate against them, do we?

Oz was a waste of two weeks.Why did they even invite him to host the show?

Ken Jennings was good. I wouldn't have minded him as the new host. Liked Katie Couric. Hated Mayim Bialik. After her third show I stopped watching until the next guest host came. If they wanted a woman as the second show, both Couric and Guthrie were better choices. I will have to get used to her and be tolerant. It will be a challenge.

I did not get to watch Levar Burton, Robin, and a few others because I was away from tv and the internet.

Why is Levar Burton so popular? I liked him as an actor on Star Trek but never saw him as a game show host.

I would have liked to see 1 or 2 more past champions as guest host.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
USA Today had an article showing the ratings for different guest hosts. Ken had the best ratings, but he was also right after Alex which may have had some impact. Richards was high in the ratings and Aaron Rodgers also did well.
I would have enjoyed Ken as the main host. I found Bialik to insert herself into the game too much. Same with Gupta and a few of the others. I thought Richards made a good host too and I'm okay with him being the main guy even if I really wanted Jennings. I didn't get the Rogers love but I didn't hate him as a host either. Also, I refused to watch the week that Oz was the host. That man has so much to answer for in terms of doing bad things to people with his endorsement of quackery and other things.

If they succeed in making a bunch of primetime spin-offs, maybe we can get the rest of the hosts we like at least for a small run here and there.

Winnipeg

Bialik was my least favorite. Couric was better as was Cooper and Rodgers.

BTW, it has nothing to do with what she wears, I just did not like the way she hosted the show (too many comments and too interjecting) almost patronizing

screech

I wasn't a fan of Katie Couric. I found she came off like a she was talking to a group of kindergarteners.
I don't follow sportsball, so I had no idea who Joe Buck was. The first time I heard him speak, I said 'he sounds like a sportscaster' though I've found he's been doing a good job.

I'm still surprised that, though he never would have done it full time, they didn't have Jeff Probst do a run. He is a member of the Jeopardy family, having been host of Rock and Roll Jeopardy 20 years ago, and I'm sure he would have brought in some Survivor fans as viewers.

Winnipeg

Yes, Probst might work but isn't he off the show for awhile due to a misconduct or am I getting him mixed up with the Bach host?

screech

Yes, Probst might work but isn't he off the show for awhile due to a misconduct or am I getting him mixed up with the Bach host?
I think it's the Bachelor guy. Probst (seemingly) has a pretty clean image and history. He's married to the ex wife of Mark Paul Gosselaar (Zach from Saved by the Bell), and apparently they're all a really close knit blended family.
Also, in googling him, I had no idea he'll be 60 later this year! Dude looks good!

As a Canadian, I think it would have been nice if another Canadian took over hosting. Like Keith Morrison (the Dateline guy, and interestingly stepdad to Matthew Perry). George Stroumboulopoulos could have done a good job too.

Anemone

Buzzy Cohen was my favourite, although I also liked Mayim Bialik, Mike Richards, Ken Jennings and Joe Buck. Many others were in-between for me - I did think they were awful, but I didn't love them either.
Aaron Rodgers and Dr. Oz were my least favourite.
I forget who asked upthread about LeVar Burton - besides Star Trek, he has been in other things, but many people recognize him for having hosted Reading Rainbow (I think for something like 20 years? ) and championing children's literacy. I was one who was really hoping he would get a guest host slot and get a shot at it, but I was disappointed in his hosting. He wasn't the worst for me, but he certainly wouldn't be my pick for permanent host either.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
I have watched Jeopardy since Art Fleming was the host when I was a kid. However, I'm going to pass if they end up keeping Mike Richards:
In another episode, for example, a guest made a nonspecific comment about big noses, according to the Ringer, which detailed the episode but did not post its audio. Richards jumped in: “Ix-nay on the ose-nay,” he allegedly said, speaking pig Latin. “She’s not an ew-Jay.”
Many demeaning comments against women, including visual insults and references to "ho's," sluts and prostitutes. Others about Jews and the homeless, as well as "midget" and "retard" comments.

I'll take Just Say No to Mike Richards for a $1000.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Unclear why he is acceptable to continue as executive producer though.
Maybe it's a way to keep paying him so he doesn't sue them.

I find it odd that he was even considered as a host, given his past at The Price is Right, which Sony knew about before the podcasts were brought up.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Thank goodness he is out as host. Unclear why he is acceptable to continue as executive producer though.

If he was enough of a control freak to put himself forward as a host, he's probably enough of a control freak to not want to give up the producer role as well. I'm sure he has built up enough of a bro network that it will be hard to get him out of that job :(

Susan1

Now for LeVar Burton, please.
I had to stop watching his last couple episodes. It was like he was reading to children (duh). His eyes got so big and he got excited - "CORRECT!" over very simple answers. It was making me nervous.

annie720

I had to stop watching his last couple episodes. It was like he was reading to children (duh). His eyes got so big and he got excited - "CORRECT!" over very simple answers. It was making me nervous.
I understand. I was looking forward to Levar A LOT, but he didn’t live up to my expectations. He didn’t connect with me and I can’t explain why.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Maybe it's a way to keep paying him so he doesn't sue them.

I find it odd that he was even considered as a host, given his past at The Price is Right, which Sony knew about before the podcasts were brought up.
Maybe he will end up leaving that position next. It sounds like the long time Jeopardy staff who loved Alex Trebek are completely underwhelmed by him and have been leaking information (NY Times article.) Sony is continuing to get really negative feedback for not vetting him properly since it's now been reported that his podcasts were still publicly available on the internet. The podcasts were just taken down in the last couple days, so the comments I've read say either Sony does a terrible job vetting candidates or they are fine with the things he's said and his white bro mentality.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The Atlantic weighs in:

Btw, in this article they mention that Burton only had one week's worth of shows, not two like everyone else and they aired during the Olympics which probably artificially reduced their ratings. And that another possible host that Trebek liked was never auditioned and also there were some shenanigans around Jennings as well.

screech

A lot of LeVar fans are complaining that he only got one day to film his episodes, so it was completely unfair. The realists are pointing out that Jeopardy always records a week's worth of episodes in one day.
I get that LeVar is much beloved, but that doesn't mean he's the right fit for this particular role. That's like saying Tom Hanks is beloved and a great actor - let's have him play Iron Man! It's just not the right fit.

It is unfortunate that such a highly anticipated host had his week during the Olympics, however Jeopardy aired at a different time where I am, so it was still viewable. David Faber also had only one week hosting, also during the Olympics, and he did a fantastic job. So did fellow one-week hosts George Stephanopolous, Robin Roberts, and Joe Buck. So why is LeVar being held to a different standard?

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I vote for a woman...to the regular nightly show, permanently.
My vote is for a man to host. Preferably a distinguished older gentleman.

I am not anti-female and would accept a woman host of a lesser show,like Wheel of Fortune for example. No one wants to say this aloud,but a male presence is necessary for a show of Jeopardy's stature.

-BB

Last edited:

Susan1

It is unfortunate that such a highly anticipated host had his week during the Olympics, however Jeopardy aired at a different time where I am, so it was still viewable. David Faber also had only one week hosting, also during the Olympics, and he did a fantastic job. So did fellow one-week hosts George Stephanopolous, Robin Roberts, and Joe Buck. So why is LeVar being held to a different standard?
My DVR always picks up Jeopardy at 7:30 (series scheduled). During the Olympics, it was on at 7:00 and the DVR caught it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information