Really, part deux

Gerry

Hi everyone... Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

I haven't updated in a while... Lee took a turn for the worse last few weeks; early in the month, she was bright and alert, eating more and more, and starting to get up on her feet (with support). Then she slowly stopped eating, then talking, then responding. We took her for a CT scan, but there was no new bleed. Docs were confused, but she was still healthy.

A few days later, and her vitals started to deteriorate... another fast trip to the big hospital, and an MRI showed her having issues dealing with fluid pressure in the head. Her neurosurgeon 'tapped' her shunt with a needle to get a fluid sample, and relieve some pressure. She started to come around a bit, and they figured there was something wrong with her shunt piping.

Friday night about 11:00pm, she went into yet another surgery (I think this was #18?) and they replaced her CSF shunt, which had developed a defect. Things went fine, her vitals are stable and strong, but it took a long time for her to regain consciousness, and we are still patiently watching her get more 'with it'.

It's Thanksgiving. We have a lot to be thankful for; fabulous doctors and nurses, amazing friends and family, and lots of support from afar.

Day 321 today, and we still aren't alone in this. Thank you all.

Spun Silver

Oh Gerry. I am so sorry that this ordeal is continuing instead of ending.

Thanks be to God she is such a fighter and is surrounded by husband, family, doctors and nurses, and friends who refuse to give up on her. Sending up prayers for you all.

I hope you are resting and grabbing all the normal you can because you must be beyond exhaustion from these months of emotion and struggle. Thanks for any and all updates.

WildRose

Thank you so much for the update Gerry. I often think of Lee and find myself wondering what she would think of our latest discussions on the board. I miss her thoughtfulness and common sense. Here’s hoping her recovery will be back on track soon.

barbarafan

Hi Gerry....I was worried about your long silence as my gut feeling was that things were not great but you had no answers to give yourself, never mind the rest of us. Thank-you so much for passing on the answers when you got them. It is normal to have stalls in a long recovery or even to have little regresses at times but a long series of regression needs to check all avenues. I know you are very grateful to the doctors in Edmonton for figuring it out but I hope they are equally grateful to Lee who is ensuring that they fully use those long hours of study and experience and helping develop those detective meters which are so needed in complicated cases. Somewhere along the line lives will be saved due to this. I am sure details of the malfunction will have already been passed on to the manufacturers and the medical arena. Thank God they found it. Rest while you can and take care of yourself. Feeling helpless takes a lot more out of you than any actions you might push yourself to do. I am sure you are finding huge pools of strength within you that you never dreamed you had.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I was worried with the lack of updates that there was something negative happening; dealing with critical patients for so many years, I have seen so many "ups and downs" in the healing process. I am glad this latest "down" has been dealt with, and that hopefully the healing is on track again. Keeping you both in my good thoughts, and wishing you a peaceful and uneventful Thanksgiving.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@Gerry, thank you so much for the update. I am so thankful that Lee has good doctors that were able to correct the problem and were able to replace the CSF shunt. I know and understand how scary setbacks can be, but Lee has some of the best doctors and nurses caring for her and that's a blessing. The process of healing is nerve wracking because of the ups and downs. The days turn into a year, but no matter how long it takes, just know that we're all praying for Lee, you and your family.

May God bless, and Happy Thanksgiving! <3

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
As some others have said, with the lengthening silence, I was concerned that things were not going as well as they had been. I'm reassured to hear that a cause of the latest problems has been identified and treated. Here's to more days of thankfulness!

kimkom

Friday night about 11:00pm, she went into yet another surgery (I think this was #18?) and they replaced her CSF shunt, which had developed a defect. Things went fine, her vitals are stable and strong, but it took a long time for her to regain consciousness, and we are still patiently watching her get more 'with it'.

Surgery #18! Bless her heart.

Sending good thoughts, and really hoping your next update brings continued improvement.

Hugs and belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information