R.I.P. Senator John McCain

Japanfan

That's what I was thinking earlier. The family has my utmost admiration for going through so many public events at such a difficult time.

I am sure it was difficult, but to be fair, McCain was a public figure. When a person marries a public figure he/she does (or should) know what he/she signed up for.

The children of a public figure will adapt and adjust naturally, for the most part. IMO - recognizing that this does depend on the skills of such children's parents to protect and nurture them.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
If that's all you took from this service you need to go back and watch again, and listen to themes that each speaker wove through their eulogies.
Huh? Kissinger’s presence stood out for me. I was a young adult when McCain was released and followed the negotiations closely.

And yes, I watched the entire service. And yes, there were many other noteworthy things, but others had already commented on them.

skatingguy

decently
Huh? Kissinger’s presence stood out for me. I was a young adult when McCain was released and followed the negotiations closely.

And yes, I watched the entire service. And yes, there were many other noteworthy things, but others had already commented on them.
Sorry, @Aceon6 I think you got confused because my post appeared right after yours, but what I posted wasn't responding to your post. I was responding @caseyedwards. Sorry for the confusion.

Susan1

What is the TV schedule fir Sunday? I think the burial is going to be a ori ate ceremony so they may not show it at all. May be there will be comments later.

Cindy looked very poised and strong to me throughout this ordeal. That makes me admire her.

I missed the eulogies by Pence, Ryan and McConnell. They were probably sincere but it doesn't mean they will have a change of heart when they are back to work. Still it was good to see people putting their differences aside and devoting this time to McCain and his grieving family.
The burial will be private, but I am sure the procession will be on t.v.
https://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/john-mccain-funeral-burial-details-naval-academy

ballettmaus

I am sure it was difficult, but to be fair, McCain was a public figure. When a person marries a public figure he/she does (or should) know what he/she signed up for.

The children of a public figure will adapt and adjust naturally, for the most part. IMO - recognizing that this does depend on the skills of such children's parents to protect and nurture them.

Generally, I agree. But I don't think that five days of memorial services are on anyone's mind when you get married to someone. (Additionally, he was a far cry froom who he was now when he and Cindy got married).

caseyedwards

What is the TV schedule fir Sunday? I think the burial is going to be a ori ate ceremony so they may not show it at all. May be there will be comments later.

Cindy looked very poised and strong to me throughout this ordeal. That makes me admire her.

I missed the eulogies by Pence, Ryan and McConnell. They were probably sincere but it doesn't mean they will have a change of heart when they are back to work. Still it was good to see people putting their differences aside and devoting this time to McCain and his grieving family.
Exactly! If trump isn’t impeached and removed this month what’s did the eulogies by all elected people mean? Zilch. The Honoring of mccain and America would of course include immediate impeachment and removal of trump.

Peaches LaTour

Where has Sarah Palin been during this time of mourning? I don't believe I have heard one comment from her.

I rarely agreed with his politics but really appreciated his basic humanity when he defended Obama during their campaign when that old woman made that stupid comment about Obama.

Joe Biden said that we will never see the likes of him again. Sadly, the way the GOP is today, both Shakespeare & Biden are right.

skatingguy

decently
Where has Sarah Palin been during this time of mourning? I don't believe I have heard one comment from her.
Palin's comment on Twitter - Palin was not invited to McCain's funeral in Washington.
[B]Sarah Palin[/B]‏Verified account @[B]SarahPalinUSA[/B] Aug 25
More
Today we lost an American original. Sen. John McCain was a maverick and a fighter, never afraid to stand for his beliefs. John never took the easy path in life - and through sacrifice and suffering he inspired others to serve something greater than self.

caseyedwards

Palin May have become a total tea party person in violation of McCain’s demands but didn’t support tea party against mccain and always praised him and then because she endorsed trump decided to ban her from his funeral!!

coppertop1

I loved the eulogies by Meghan, Obama and even Bush. I can't think of too many politicians who are so well-respected by both parties. He truly was a giant.

ballettmaus

What are the odds that all 29 of our NATO allies would agree to this? Was McCain that revered in Europe?

I don't know how well-regarded he was among politicians but I don't recall hearing his name other than while he was running for President.

ilovepaydays

It’s a shame we didn’t see a McCain/Lieberman ticket in 2008 - especially being that he was probably going to lose regardless of what he did.

Heck - even a McCain/Graham would have been better than with Palin - at least McCain would have lost with one of his BFFs by his side.

coppertop1

It’s a shame we didn’t see a McCain/Lieberman ticket in 2008 - especially being that he was probably going to lose regardless of what he did.

Heck - even a McCain/Graham would have been better than with Palin - at least McCain would have lost with one of his BFFs by his side.

Considering the mess the USA was in, there was no way a Republican was going to win. I love Obama and wanted him to win, but it wasn't because I hated McCain. I wish we could put the 2008 election and the Obama presidency in a Time Capsule.

It's hard to believe the Republicans have gone from such a gentleman to a classless, crass, self-centred blowhard (and I'm being polite so I don't get banned) in eight years.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
His military history was

Not by me. Dropping bombs on civilians in Hanoi (or anywhere else) is not something that should be revered. Will never get my head around the idea that sending people off to die and kill other people is somehow glorious.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

That is not true for the children of our leaders. Ask Jenna and Barbara how natural theirs transition. Bush promised their lives would stay the same. After a fer months he had to go back and say I am so sorry. Your lives are .

not going to be the same. While visiting the White house when 71 was in office the then7 seven year olds went to the bowling alley. After a bit they were hungry. The picked up a nearby phone and ordered hamburgers, fries or whatever. The next thing to occur was the first lady and their grandmother marching into the bowling and explaining that the is The White House. It is not a hotel with room service. And NEVER again will you call down for food. You will eat meal times. Like the rest of us. Is that clear?

Side note they call he the Enforcer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information