popcorn!

quartz

scratching at the light
I want to buy a new air popper for popcorn - does anyone have suggestions as to what brand is the best? I had one from Sears years and years ago, and it lasted for years and years, but I can't remember what brand it was. I'm willing to pay more to get a decent one.
:watch: :watch: :watch: :watch: :watch: :watch: :watch:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
We have the Orville Redenbacher which is a mid-priced one. We've had it since 1990 and it still works well. The only concern is that I have no idea if what they're selling now is the same.

A.H.Black

I do my air popped popcorn in the microwave. All you need are popcorn kernels, brown paper lunch sacs, and tape.
https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/how-to-pop-popcorn-the-microwave-paper-bag-method/

I usually use a small piece of clear tape once I fold over the top of the bag, because I had one unfold once, and I had popcorn all over the microwave.
I don't use the tape, but then my microwave is little and the bag gets stuck to the top before it unfolds. I also use a double bag. It tends to decrease the chances for burning.

quartz

scratching at the light

quartz

scratching at the light
I still make popcorn the old-fashioned way, in a pot on the stove (though I haven't had it for quite a while), jiggling the pot as the corns pop. I don't like the additives in microwave popcorn.

:scream::scream:
The last time we did the stovetop method, it scared the shit out of the cats. We have a gas stove with cast iron grates over the flames, so the pot shaking over the metal was loud!

gkelly

I have two popcorn poppers.

One is an air popper that plugs into the wall socket, that shoots the popcorn out into a bowl (or onto the floor if it misses the bowl -- I need to stand in front and use my body as interference). It does make a lot of noise and heats up significantly.

The other is a glass jug like device with a rubber piece with holes to lay on top to keep the popped corn in the jug. You can put butter on the rubber piece but I don't. This is used in the microwave but it doesn't require any additives -- you just put regular popcorn kernels in it.

Of the two, the air popper makes better popcorn IMO and is easier to clean once it's cooled off.

(Then I usually put the popcorn in a glass bowl and mix in some grated cheese and put that in the microwave, because I treat popcorn as a toasted cheese delivery system. But that's just me.)

TheGirlCanSkate

I'm also a brown bag and corn kernel user. I just use those two things and use a staple to close the bag. No, it doesn't catch on fire. :D I used to have an air popper, but it felt like a chore for some weird reason so I gave it away. When I am making a big batch I use the pot on the stove. It's fun.

Anemone

I still make popcorn the old-fashioned way, in a pot on the stove (though I haven't had it for quite a while), jiggling the pot as the corns pop. I don't like the additives in microwave popcorn.

:scream::scream:

That is why I use the brown bag method - no preservatives, chemicals or additives. The only thing that gets added is whatever butter or seasonings I shake on after it is popped.

quartz

scratching at the light
I have purchased paper lunch bags and a jar of Orville Redenbacher popping corn - since this is far cheaper than a gadget that I really don't have the space for in my teeny tiny kitchen, giving this a try first!

A.H.Black

I have purchased paper lunch bags and a jar of Orville Redenbacher popping corn - since this is far cheaper than a gadget that I really don't have the space for in my teeny tiny kitchen, giving this a try first!
Now that we are on the subject of paper bags, I find the lunch sacks to be a bit too small. I like to keep the sacks from places like Burger King (when I get the smaller ones). Also, bags can be reused. My double bags last until the bottom starts to get holes. Then I throw away the inner bag and add another bag on the outside. Actually the bags get better at popping the corn - they sort of get seasoned.

Watch the popcorn - don't just leave it. For me it's 1/4 cup of popcorn. I set the timer for about 4 1/2 minutes, but it usually takes about 3-31/2 minutes. it's easy to burn if you aren't careful. That makes a nice bowl full.

Now for the "ew" factor. I take the leftover kernals (only the completely un-popped ones) - put them in the fridge - and add them to the next batch. It's just me so it's only my germs.

Much more information than you wanted. Good luck.

quartz

scratching at the light
My husband just made popcorn in a lunch bag in the microwave. Turned out perfect, and no weird oily residue like you get in pre-packaged microwave popcorn, but next time he needs to put more butter on it. ;) I think that I will not have to purchase a gadget after all! :cheer::watch::cheer::watch::cheer:

A.H.Black

My husband just made popcorn in a lunch bag in the microwave. Turned out perfect, and no weird oily residue like you get in pre-packaged microwave popcorn, but next time he needs to put more butter on it. ;) I think that I will not have to purchase a gadget after all! :cheer::watch::cheer::watch::cheer:
Glad it worked. Without any oil, it does take a bit more butter. Then again, I would much rather spend my calories on butter rather than oil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information