My 40th teaching anniversary performance

skateboy

This last Saturday I celebrated 40 years of teaching with a concert that included a number of my former and current violin/viola students (and two guest cellists).

Of course, I felt very honored and touched to have so many students -- past and present -- join me for this event. And I was really proud of how they all stepped up their game... we put this performance together in just one short rehearsal, a few hours before the performance.

In case anyone is interested, here is a short highlights video. You'll notice that the ensemble grows with each piece, until we've got a really big group playing together at the end. (I began the concert playing the Violin Sonata by Maurice Ravel, but left it off of this video, as I wanted the focus to be on the students. But I may post the Ravel performance in a separate video at some point.)

Still can't believe I've been teaching for 40 freakin' years... especially since I'm only 39. :D

skatfan

This last Saturday I celebrated 40 years of teaching with a concert that included a number of my former and current violin/viola students (and two guest cellists).

Of course, I felt very honored and touched to have so many students -- past and present -- join me for this event. And I was really proud of how they all stepped up their game... we put this performance together in just one short rehearsal, a few hours before the performance.

In case anyone is interested, here is a short highlights video. You'll notice that the ensemble grows with each piece, until we've got a really big group playing together at the end. (I began the concert playing the Violin Sonata by Maurice Ravel, but left it off of this video, as I wanted the focus to be on the students. But I may post the Ravel performance in a separate video at some point.)

Still can't believe I've been teaching for 40 freakin' years... especially since I'm only 39. :D
What a terrific concert - how much beauty you have helped create for the world!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Bravo, bravo!

That must have been a delight for your students to hear live :).

I don't think I've ever heard it before: Ravel packed everything into it.

Thank you so much for posting it!

Last edited:

skateboy

That made it even more important to them.
Very sweet of you, thank you. The truth is that I use to perform the Ravel regularly up until about 2006. Now I spend much more time teaching than solo performing, although that was a big part of my career up until about 20 years ago. i really do appreciate your very kind words.

Last edited:

skateboy

Very sweet of you, thank you. The truth is that I use to perform the Ravel regularly up until about 2006. Now I spend much more time teaching than solo performing, although that was a big part of my career up until about 20 years ago. i really do appreciate you very kind words.
sorry twice edited

Last edited:

skateboy

Very sweet of you, thank you. The truth is that I use to perform the Ravel regularly up until about 2006. Now I spend much more time teaching than solo performing, although that was was a big part of my career up until about 20 years ago. i really do appreciate you very kind words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information