Oscars 2021

VGThuy

I figured I’d start this thread. Some of the fashion has been a bit underwhelming but it’s nice to see an in-person event. I won’t be able to update in a PBP style so have at it.

VGThuy

Promising Young Woman wins Best Original Screenplay.

The Father wins Best Adapted Screenplay.

Very classy ceremony so far. Much more intimate and personal compared to the usual auditorium style.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I love Laura Dern's feather skirt, but why is she wearing a black turtleneck over it?

ilovepaydays

The Father won adapted screenplay. It’s on my Amazon Prime list, but I’m still not sure I want to spend $19.99 to rent it right now. It’s probably pretty good, if it has Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman in it.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised, given how many movies were pushed out of 2020, at the quality of the nominees. IMHO, Nomadland 👍, Mank 👍, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom 👍, Trial of Chicago Seven 👍, One Night in Miami 👍, Sound of Metal 👍, Collective 👍, Crip Camp 👍

VGThuy

Denmark’s Another Round wins Best International Film. The clips they chose for the foreign films were well chosen.

skatingguy

decently
NO KIDDING. I was watching Jerry Maguire last weekend and I noticed that Regina looks younger now than she did then. I believe Jerry Maguire came out in the late 1990s. 😱
1996 - terrible wig she has in that movie - I think it was intentional, but still.

ilovepaydays

I overall like this Oscars setup. The smaller tables with the nominees looks more intimate than the massive crowd audiences.

I will admit that it looks a little bummer for the nominees that are out of the area/country and are videoed in.

I do wish that they showed more clips of the nominated movies. Show off the movies - especially this year.

VGThuy

I only wished they’d show film clips or stills to show off the nominees’ work.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom wins two Oscars for Best Make-Up and Hairstying and Best Costume Design.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
My friend just texted "the interpreter is BACK!!"

ilovepaydays

WAIT. They are awarding Best Director NOW? 🤔 I though it was always one of the last awards - before Best Actor/Actress and Best Picture.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
WAIT. They are awarding Best Director NOW? 🤔 I though it was always one of the last awards - before Best Actor/Actress and Best Picture.
In the past Supporting Actress was the first award and they haven't done it yet so they're definitely changing things up this year.

VGThuy

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but why wasn't he nominated for Best Actor? His character is in the title of the movie!
His character is actually the supporting one. Lakeith Stanfield’s character was actually the lead but somehow he was also nominated for Best Supporting as well. He was also confused about it but happy he got a nomination.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
His character is actually the supporting one. Lakeith Stanfield’s character was actually the lead but somehow he was also nominated for Best Supporting as well. He was also confused about it but happy he got a nomination.
I guess I see them as the two leads. 🤷‍♀️

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Since we aren't getting PBP here are my very, super-intelligent ( :HA!: ) comments:

I like that the presenters aren't all on stage and doing things like showing the results from the envelope instead of screen titles was cool but it seems like none of the nominees know where the camera is which is leading to some amusing situations.

ilovepaydays

So.....the winners that are offsite are just going to get their trophies later? Well, at least they still get to do their speech.

It looks like the offsites are in specific places (London, Paris, Rome) and the nominees at each city are at one place.

ilovepaydays

Are those gold suede pants that one of those guys from Two Distant Strangers (Live Action Short Film winner) is wearing? 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information