NYC Ballet Fans, part 2

sk9tingfan

I am just getting into ballet in a bigger way than in the past - I know it's not the same as seeing a ballet live but do any of you have recommendations for full-length ballets on youtube I might watch? I watched the 1990 or so Kirov Ballet Swan Lake yesterday and really enjoyed it.
Any of Balanchine's ballets. Too numerous to list and using a more modern approach. But here's a comprehensive listing.

Spun Silver

I am just getting into ballet in a bigger way than in the past - I know it's not the same as seeing a ballet live but do any of you have recommendations for full-length ballets on youtube I might watch? I watched the 1990 or so Kirov Ballet Swan Lake yesterday and really enjoyed it.
As for Balanchine -

Here is a vid of Concerto Barocco with the young Suzanne Farrell - old and grainy but so worth the watching, esp for the second movement. It's as if you never heard the music (famous as it is -- Bach's double violin concerto in D minor) until you've seen this ballet.

Here's a relatively recent performance of Square Dance (to Vivaldi) as performed wonderfully by the Miami City Ballet, in two parts.

Here's an ABT version of La Sonnambula with its heartstopping pas de deux between the Poet and the Sleepwalker, with Baryshnikov and Alessandra Ferri, again oldish grainy vid (from the 1980s):

I had also attached a three part 1977 version of the Four Temperaments done by NYC Ballet with the glorious Bart Cook and Adam Luders as Melancholic and Phlegmatic, but it disappeared while I was watching the Sonnambula pas de deux, so you'll have to find it for yourself, if you like Balanchine enough to want more. His ballets aren't super easy to find on YouTube because they are seriously copyrighted so watch while you can.

mackiecat

Often movie theatres will show a filmed ballet. Might be closer to the real thing than watching on YouTube.

sk9tingfan

As for Balanchine -

Here is a vid of Concerto Barocco with the young Suzanne Farrell - old and grainy but so worth the watching, esp for the second movement. It's as if you never heard the music (famous as it is -- Bach's double violin concerto in D minor) until you've seen this ballet.

Here's a relatively recent performance of Square Dance (to Vivaldi) as performed wonderfully by the Miami City Ballet, in two parts.

Here's an ABT version of La Sonnambula with its heartstopping pas de deux between the Poet and the Sleepwalker, with Baryshnikov and Alessandra Ferri, again oldish grainy vid (from the 1980s):

I had also attached a three part 1977 version of the Four Temperaments done by NYC Ballet with the glorious Bart Cook and Adam Luders as Melancholic and Phlegmatic, but it disappeared while I was watching the Sonnambula pas de deux, so you'll have to find it for yourself, if you like Balanchine enough to want more. His ballets aren't super easy to find on YouTube because they are seriously copyrighted so watch while you can.
When I lived in Manhattan and had a subscription to the NYC Ballet, I was lucky enough to see Suzanne Farrell and Peter Martins dance multiple times(barring revelations about the latter's behavior). Also Merrill Ashley and other stars of the company.

mjb52

Often movie theatres will show a filmed ballet. Might be closer to the real thing than watching on YouTube.
There's lots of live ballet near me, I'm just pretty busy right now so YouTube is easier for the moment. It's not the same of course but will have to do for a little while.

Spun Silver

When I lived in Manhattan and had a subscription to the NYC Ballet, I was lucky enough to see Suzanne Farrell and Peter Martins dance multiple times(barring revelations about the latter's behavior). Also Merrill Ashley and other stars of the company.
Ah! So did I. As regulars we probably knew each other by sight! I stopped attending when Balanchine died and Farrell retired. The magic was over.

Rob

Beach Bum
Makarova Dowell Swan Lake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGCdo4XTipo

I think there is a full length Giselle with Svetlana Zakharova and Roberto Bolle, but it would also be worthwhile if you can find Diana Vishneva (might be one with Polunin or Gomes) or Gelsey Kirkland or Natalia Makarova or Natalia Osipova/David Hallberg. You might find Kirkland or Makarova with either Baryshnikov or Dowell.

Kirkland/Baryshnikov in Theme and Variations or Don Q pas de deux - not full length but amazing.

emason

Tonight I went to NYC Ballet for Swan Lake with Megan Fairchild and Gonzalo Garcia. What a hot mess! Surprisingly, I liked the sets that everyone else hates and I only hated half the costumes.

Act I, Scene II (the white act): absolutely no chemistry, no rapport, no nothing between Fairchild and Garcia. She was a robot on autopilot through the whole scene, just executing steps. Not once did she convince me she was a swan, nevermind a swan queen. The most boring white act I’ve seen in 45 years of Swan Lakes.

Act II, Scene I (the black act): a slight improvement, but not by much.

Act II, Scene II (the final lakeside scene): all of a sudden the principals came out of their stupor. There was drama, passion, love - everything that had been missing all evening showed up in the last 15 minutes. What the Hell was going on?

The only thing more tedious was my subway ride home.

canbelto

NYCB is offering free online streams of some of their performances for 72 hours on their YT channel. They just put this awesome performance of Allegro Brillante. Quick watch before its gone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information