Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafOnTheWind

I found Encore TVB on my Roku which promises free Chinese tv shows. Just wondering if there are any suggestions before I start browsing through it.

mjb52

I'm watching Occupied right now and it is so stressful. I've just finished Episode Two. I think it's come up on this thread before but luckily I wasn't paying enough attention to be spoiled - I'll go back and look for everyone's comments once I finish.

screech

So I don’t know if this counts but I probably never would have watched The Americans if it wasn’t available on Prime. Currently at the end of season 3 and totally addicted! Disturbing but SO GOOD. At the pace we’re churning through episodes we will probably finish within a month. :p
YES! Anytime someone gets into the Americans, I'm all for it. I didn't start it until 2 years ago, and I absolutely loved it! Keri Russell is great, but oh my goodness, Matthew Rhys was insanely brilliant (and so deserving of the Emmy he FINALLY won this year).

love skating

Clueless American
I'm also binge watching The Americans - am in the final season now!! From the time I started watching (which was about a month ago) I've wondered how it will end and I still have a million possible endings in my head. Thankfully have managed to avoid hearing any spoilers.

Spun Silver

So many shows peter out but The Americans had a totally socko final season. One of my favorite series ever.

I just finished watching Amazon's Julia Roberts series Homecoming. The show's a moody noir, she was good, and I loved the actor who played the main soldier she was working with. But I was a little put off by the age difference as there were strong romantic overtones. She is 51 (at least!) IRL, he (Stephan James) is 24. In the show it's a complete non-issue. It seemed odd to me. Maybe it will be addressed in the next season.

skipaway

ICYMI, Hulu is offering a 99 cent/month for 12 months deal until Nov. 27th. You get the limited commercial package. It’s for those who don’t yet have an account or who cancelled their account >then 1 year ago. You can cancel at anytime.

DannyCurry

I love Tagomi, but I get a bit bored with some of his scenes with extraneous characters. It still throws me off all the time to see DJ Qualls in a dramatic role. I can't believe he's 40 (he still looks like 12)

Maybe they wanted to show another side of the 'gay lifestyle'? Since Ed was getting to live in the open, we got to see the persecution side? Or maybe they just needed a tie-in for the propaganda storyline (I felt so bad for the Smiths for having Thomas turned into a Nazi symbol.)

Finished the season. And wow, did they make me look forward to season 4!!! The season started with a whimper but holy hell did it go out with a bang
So Juliana is now a traveller? And Helen left John? And Himmler may be dead (will John become the new Führer?)
I won't be surprised if Juliana meets Frank and Joe in the next world. I was EXTREMELY surprised they killed off both of her love interests, especially since they spent 2.5 seasons kind of building up Julianna/Joe, just to have him become pure evil and for her to kill him right after they start hooking up. I never liked Frank, though.
I'm glad they didn't (blatantly) make her and Wyatt/Liam into a couple. I like him!
And I really felt for John this season.

I finally got to watch season 3 a few weeks ago. Overall I was quite disappointed. Apart from the Smiths and Tagomi, I don't feel that the characters development was successful.

Now on Netflix, I've watched :
Super Drags : Gross, vulgar. Of course I liked it :rofl:

The Princess Switch : Came up on my suggestion. I don't know why but I felt like watching a Xmas movie early that night. Well, Vanessa Hudgens is still pretty but the movie is soooo bad (well is there any good quality Xmas movie ?!), but I enjoyed it. Worse, I ate popcorn watching it. I must have been at my worst :duh:

omuma

Ahhh Zhang Bin Bin... I know he isn't supposed to be the main guy but he is the main guy in my heart let me tell you.

Naa......Mark Caio. I am not sure I spelt the name correctly. I love love loooove his Ye Hua costuming. Hate the dubbed voices though. Now waiting for Princess Agents......lol. Though I love-hated it😄😄😄

mjb52

Naa......Mark Caio. I am not sure I spelt the name correctly. I love love loooove his Ye Hua costuming. Hate the dubbed voices though. Now waiting for Princess Agents......lol. Though I love-hated it😄😄😄

I was blown away when I heard about the dubbed voices. I have a pretty high level of suspension of disbelief so I honestly hadn't noticed... but now I always get worried, like will it be the same voice for the same actor if I watch them in something else? It's sort of a strange thing to worry about I guess! But I do!

I also enjoyed Ice Fantasy though it was pretty out there - I sort of like the over-the-top craziness of it all. I never finished watching either show though - with both I got to about episode 40 or so and finally petered out! I had read spoilers and wasn't too sure I would be into the storylines for the remaining episodes.

omuma

[QUOTE
I also enjoyed Ice Fantasy though it was pretty out there - I sort of like the over-the-top craziness of it all. I never finished watching either show though - with both I got to about episode 40 or so and finally petered out! I had read spoilers and wasn't too sure I would be into the storylines for the remaining episodes.[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms? Try and continue. The first few episodes did not really captivate me but I stayed with it because I had heard much about it ( And of course being a love story, I love slow burns which Chinese dramas have beaucoup). The sets and costumes were also very grandiose which helped keep my attention. It is mainly a love story that spans 3 lifetimes so I had to get to the relevant lifetime......lol.
My favorite however remains Flame's daughter.

VGThuy

Has anyone seen The Romanoffs on Amazon Prime? I only watched the first episode and started the second I'm pretty captivated by it. I think the reviews have been mixed-to-negative and it's been called overly ambitious and indulgent, and I'm glad someone is being ambitious on TV. I also like that it's kind of ambitious and with at least a real point-of-view. I've been sort of bored with TV and with shows with high critical scores that just seem formulaic to please them and the masses and seems way too neat and "well-executed" for my liking. I like a lot of the themes explored and I liked how stupid the ending was with that neat fairy-tale ending which was purposefully absurd.

I know @Yehudi and @Seerek spoke about it and I wonder if they continued with it. I hear some of the stories in future episodes are odd.

Last edited:

screech

Was so happy to see The Holiday is on Netflix. I hadn't seen it since it first came out, but man, I'd forgotten how hot Jude Law is in it! And IMO it's such an underrated Christmas film (I'd much rather watch it again than Love Actually for the 23987429 time.)

Also on Netflix, has anyone watched the Rupert Grint sitcom Sick Note? It popped up on my Netflix home screen, and I'd never heard of it before. I'm considering giving it a go.

LeafOnTheWind

I'm watching The Librarians on Hulu. I've watched the movies but didn't realize they had turned it into a series. The major issue I have with it is there are too many actors saying "libary" instead of "library". It has two r's people! Two!

They even made a joke about it in the show. I think it was John Larroquette's character that mentioned people dropping r's from the English language as belonging in a group of bad people. :lol:

millyskate

This isn't netflix/hulu/amazon but it felt like the best thread for it...

I've been completely hooked by Mrs. Wilson on the BBC. It's a biographical drama, and if any of you get the chance to watch it I highly recommend it. It's really TV of the highest quality.

TheGirlCanSkate

While not new it was new to me - and it has a little bit of ice skating. It's Holiday in Handcuffs on Hulu. It was cute. I liked it more than The Santa Chronicles on Netflix and that was fine too. Holiday in Handcuffs is just more charming.

vgerdes

Has anyone else watched Mowgli on Netflix yet? Fair warning: this version of Jungle Book is DARK. I found it a bit too violent for my taste (and I'm a Game of Thrones fan!!!), though the acting was excellent - particularly the boy who played Mowgli.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I'm many many years behind, but I recently watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time (on Netflix). I've had the intermission/ending non-credits music stuck in my head ever since. (don't click unless you wan't the world's biggest earworm).
There are so many lines and scenes from this that I can quote as I had the cassette of "The soundtrack of the trailer of the film of Monty Python and the Holy Grail" when I was a kid. You will never look at rabbits in the same way again.

Has anyone watched Dumplin'. I quite enjoyed this one. Had an Australian actress Danielle McDonald in the lead role (didn't realise until after I checked IMDB). Next day I met someone who was friends with her and did acting classes with her. She was really good.

Seerek

I would put Roma on a personal favourite "Best of the 2010s" list, but maybe I'm applying a little bit of recency bias.

LeafOnTheWind

Has anyone watched Bird Box on Netflix and is it more suspense than horror?

It's not getting the greatest reviews but it's not getting the worst either. Not sure if I want to watch it or not.

I've got Mowgli in my queue and the new season of Travelers. I will probably watch those first no matter what.

Japanfan

Watching Godless.

I love two of the actresses on this series, Michelle Dockery and Merrit Wever. The women-centered story and themes are interesting, but the story is otherwise all over the place and I'm finding it a bit difficult to follow.

LeafOnTheWind

I watched The Little Mermaid (2018 live action version) on Netflix. I don't know why, but I expected it to be a darker version like they've done with Mowgli and Sabrina. That is not what they did here. There is even a song. Thankfully just one. :lol:

They start off with a grandmother telling the traditional mermaid story but it ends with an evil wizard (instead of the sea witch) holding the mermaid prisoner after she fails to gain the love of her prince. Then the grandmother starts in with her tale set in 1930'ish Mississippi with an uncle who is raising his orphaned niece. She has breathing problems but remains upbeat about it because she believes she is part mermaid. The uncle is a reporter and his boss sends him on a story about a miracle mermaid cure at a traveling circus.

So if you are in the mood for some saccharine this is a good choice. :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
We watched The Christmas Chronicles last night and enjoyed it. The story isn't all that original, but still fun and well done.

I'm enjoying a lot of Netflix Christmas movies. They do a much better job with the romantic ones than Hallmark Channel does IMO.

mjb52

My friend got me into this Russian cartoon Masha and the Bear that is on Netflix and now I can't stop watching it! It's not particularly innovative in style - a bit old-fashioned I think - but there is something fascinating about it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information