Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

manhn

Wow, really? I think Fresh Off the Boat is so much better. The best thing about Kim's Convenience is the hot son is shirtless a lot of the time.

VGThuy

I’ve only seen a few episodes of Fresh Off the Boat and I seriously don’t like the writing or acting for the most part. I find Kim’s Conveinence to be more relatable and all-around better written.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Thanks to the Emmy Noms, I checked out the USS Callister episode of Black Mirror. Wow, wonderfully funny and creepy. Now I need to go back and check out the rest of the series.

TheGirlCanSkate

Better Things on Hulu. This is a tv series about a single actress mom and her 3 daughters.

Part of me hates, hates, hates this show. The daughters suffer from affluenza, the mom makes bizarre choices (her teen daughter is often laying around the house in underwear with her friends (male and female) also in their underwear), she just sort of gives up - an unapproved house party happens and her kids are mad at her from coming home early and then the mom cleans it all up while the kids sleep or so what they want, and her kids are so disrespectful. Where is this okay? But there are some really touching moments as well.

Every parent hits a point where they are too tired to parent and being alone as a parent - well they have it much harder. The middle and younger daughter actresses are phenomenal in their roles. it's a view into lives where a $500 lyft monthly bill doesn't cause economic hardship and it makes me extra grateful for my kids.

Japanfan

I've watched quite a few shows on Netflix.
Others :
  • Alias Grace : Pretty good. I should read at least some of Margaret Atwood's work. [/QUOTE]

I found Alias Grace really depressing - not motivated to read the book.

Given that I'm a fan of fantasy, my favorite Atwood books are The Handmaid's Tale and the Oryx and Crake trilogy (Atwood calls these 'speculative fiction').

I also really her Life Before Man some years ago.

I haven't read a lot of her more recent books other than Oryx and Crake, and think there were some good reads among those.

The Crown : I had tried to watch the show before, but never made it through the 1st ten minutes, until a few months ago. Once I finally forced myself to watch the first episodes and caught a glimpse of « Prince Philip » butt-naked, I was thirsty for more royal nudity. While the following episodes didn't quench it, and the show is quite slow, overall I enjoyed the first two seasons.

I couldn't get into the The Crown either, and don't think Prince Philip naked would change my mind.

Oh and it's not on Netflix, but I absolutely love The Handmaid's Tale. Can't wait for the finale of season 2.

Me too, although I expect it will end with a cliffhanger. I predict that:

Offred and baby will get out with the help of Nick/the resistance, and the resistance will mobilize. Alternatively, the resistance will be mobilizing, and plans to get Offred and baby out will be underway.

Red Hot Chili Keegan

Banned Member
Me too, although I expect it will end with a cliffhanger. I predict that:

Offred and baby will get out with the help of Nick/the resistance, and the resistance will mobilize. Alternatively, the resistance will be mobilizing, and plans to get Offred and baby out will be underway.
[/QUOTE]

I love this show too, so many good god-fearing role models to look up to! So it sounds like you are saying anything can happen in the finale. Except didn’t I already see the finally? I am so confused.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Thanks to the Emmy Noms, I checked out the USS Callister episode of Black Mirror. Wow, wonderfully funny and creepy. Now I need to go back and check out the rest of the series.

I can't take dark, so spousal unit watches Black Mirror without me (the two with certifiably happy endings I have watched straight through).

He told me USS Callister had a happy ending. Yeah, I guess, (I won't give it away) but the rest of it was as you said, creepy. But if you love dark and creepy (he does), it's the series for you.:D

Although as someone who's seen every episode of every Star Trek series, the Callister episode was a clever homage (including the shaking in place to mimic explosions;))

VGThuy

GLOW SEASON 2 :encore:

What an absolutely fun romp filled with nuance, character development, feminism and fun! I think season 2 builds up a little slower but the last 3 episodes KILLED. I loved, loved loved the finales.

I've been baking pies at home....pies of rage! :EVILLE:

:cheer2::cheer:

I thought Season 1 of Glow was enjoyable and fun, but binge watching Season 2 was one of the most enjoyable Netflix binge watching experiences. Everything was ramped up for this season including all of the actors (it seems like they loved being on this show and it shows on screen) and the writing and directing was so on point. I cannot wait for Season 3 now.

Japanfan

I love this show too, so many good god-fearing role models to look up to! So it sounds like you are saying anything can happen in the finale. Except didn’t I already see the finally? I am so confused.

The Finale was titled 'The Word' and aired on Sunday the 15th in Canada.

After learning that Eden kept a Bible and made notes in it to pursue her understanding of God, Serena approaches the men's council to suggest that both boys and girls learn to read the Bible - so to be better faithful servants of Him.

If you've seen this, you've seen the finale.

If you haven't, the spoiler won't ruin the episode.

Cachoo

I think I just watched the best, most moving two hours I will see this year on Netflix or any other network. I had never heard of Hannah Gadsby before this week but her "Nanette" had me laughing and had me in tears at times. She is funny but she is so brutally honest as she makes us laugh and then she tells us why she will stop being a comedian. The first half is good but the second half is a revelation. My wish is that everyone sees it; especially young women who might have doubts about themselves and straight, white men who think someone like Trump is a-okay.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I think I just watched the best, most moving two hours I will see this year on Netflix or any other network. I had never heard of Hannah Gadsby before this week but her "Nanette" had me laughing and had me in tears at times. She is funny but she is so brutally honest as she makes us laugh and then she tells us why she will stop being a comedian. The first half is good but the second half is a revelation. My wish is that everyone sees it; especially young women who might have doubts about themselves and straight, white men who think someone like Trump is a-okay.
I watched this a few weeks ago and has been a bit of hit on Netflix. She has appeared on quite a few shows here in Australia (and very funny) but as you said the second half is quite a revelation.

Seerek

Usually there's been a lag in the availability of Schitt's Creek's current season on Netflix, usually months after the season airs on CBC/POP TV (in the winter). Has that changed?

TheGirlCanSkate

The Godfather came out before I was born so I never saw it. They are on Netflix and I'm partway through part II. I am enjoying all of the references that I knew were Godfather references but in isolation - now I see the whole thing in context.

VGThuy

I'm halfway through the first episode of the new season of Orange is the New Black and I'm finding it seriously annoying. I've been finding the show annoying for a while though.

Japanfan

The Godfather came out before I was born so I never saw it. They are on Netflix and I'm partway through part II. I am enjoying all of the references that I knew were Godfather references but in isolation - now I see the whole thing in context.

I admit that the acting and directing of 'The Godfather' were brilliant. But in retrospect film's glorification of the mafia and male violence is disturbing. IMO. These days I tend to avoid such films.

I saw the film in '73', when I just 15. Probably/possibly I wasn't supposed to be able to see it because of an age limit, but I don't really remember and if there was such a limit, I doubt the theater owners in the small northern Canadian town I lived in probably didn't care.

It was actually double-billed with "Love Story". :confused: It's odd the things you remember years later!

VGThuy

I'm halfway through the first episode of the new season of Orange is the New Black and I'm finding it seriously annoying. I've been finding the show annoying for a while though.

I said that, but I ended up bing watching like 5 episodes last night because I simply could not stop. So ignore my original message. I think I must have been in a bad mood.

jamesy

delightful
I said that, but I ended up bing watching like 5 episodes last night because I simply could not stop. So ignore my original message. I think I must have been in a bad mood.
I think the first episode is just a little rough. Between Suzanne's hallucinations and yet another batch of sadistic COs, it was kind of hard to watch. But it picks up immensely after that and I also ended up binging several episodes.

Cachoo

I am about halfway through "The Vietnam War" and it is easily one of the most stunning pieces of documentary filmmaking I have ever seen.
Ken Burns is a national treasure. Particularly now with the idiot-in-chief I'd love to see Burns and his team tackle the history of the immigrant experience in the states. Some people need to be reminded that we all have roots elsewhere and that there was a good chance that our immigrating ancestors were unwelcome at one time or another.

I just watched this because of your recommendation. I totally agree, everyone needs to see it.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Ken Burns is a national treasure. Particularly now with the idiot-in-chief I'd love to see Burns and his team tackle the history of the immigrant experience in the states. Some people need to be reminded that we all have roots elsewhere and that there was a good chance that our immigrating ancestors were unwelcome at one time or another.

That would certainly be a mammoth undertaking. I am just fascinated how the documentary makers were able to sustain the quality of storytelling they did over each feature length episode.

LeafOnTheWind

Watching Iliza Shlesinger's latest comedy show Elder Millennial on Netflix. I love her take on men vs women in the dating scene. I highly recommend her if you haven't seen any of her shows.

vgerdes

I've been watching Marvel's Cloak & Dagger on Hulu (although I think it actually airs on Freeform). It's a little dark, but I'm enjoying it.

Japanfan

That was rated R. I remember my mom took me and friend to see it and wanted to drop us off and the ticket seller wouldn't sell us tickets unless she came in too!

And thus is a young mind ruined! :scream::scream:

Where do I begin
To tell the story of how great a love can be
The sweet love story that is older than the sea
The simple truth about the love she brings to me
Where do I start

More love, fewer guns is as true today as it has always been. :)

Last edited:

VGThuy

Btw, this post is a rant. I caught an episode of the David Chang show Ugly Delicious on Netflix and I HATED the New Orleans episode. He goes into some mission to show that Houston style Viet-Cajun crawfish is better than New Orleans style crawfish and that they reason why it hasn't caught on in New Orleans despite its huge Vietnamese population is because of racism. I grew up in New Orleans and my family has been in the seafood business for decades. We choose to cook it the old cajun way because we really do prefer it. We think it's more flavorful and just tastes better and we prefer the New Orleans seasonings. We hate Viet-cajun crawfish because the crawfish itself has no flavor and all the flavor is just sauce on the shell that you have to lick. Chang could not just accept that and wants to "improve" New Orleans culinary techniques and think cuisines should always fuse. That whole episode and his complex annoyed the hell out of me. I refuse to watch anything of his ever again. Also, if his ramen was more old school, then I'd actually eat at Momofuku because Momofuku's ramen sucks compared to many other places, especially compared to Ippudo. Also, Momofuku milk bar is good but NOT that good for those prices.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Btw, this post is a rant. I caught an episode of the David Chang show Ugly Delicious on Netflix and I HATED the New Orleans episode. He goes into some mission to show that Houston style Viet-Cajun crawfish is better than New Orleans style crawfish and that they reason why it hasn't caught on in New Orleans despite its huge Vietnamese population is because of racism. I grew up in New Orleans and my family has been in the seafood business for decades. We choose to cook it the old cajun way because we really do prefer it. We think it's more flavorful and just tastes better and we prefer the New Orleans seasonings. We hate Viet-cajun crawfish because the crawfish itself has no flavor and all the flavor is just sauce on the shell that you have to lick. Chang could not just accept that and wants to "improve" New Orleans culinary techniques and think cuisines should always fuse. That whole episode and his complex annoyed the hell out of me. I refuse to watch anything of his ever again. Also, if his ramen was more old school, then I'd actually eat at Momofuku because Momofuku's ramen sucks compared to many other places, especially compared to Ippudo. Also, Momofuku milk bar is good but NOT that good for those prices.

I hate his attitude in at least half of the episodes. Although, to be fair, never a head chef I've met that's not an asshole. I found him insufferable in the pizza episode. He almost always insists that the Asian variation of a dish is superior -which isn't inherently a wrong or bad opinion, since I would venture that most Asian food and preparation is better, but don't be such a d*ck about it or only point to racism in the food industry as the explanation. It's his show, so obviously he can let his biases run wild...I just wish he was challenged on it more.

Oh and Momofuku and Milk Bar are crazy overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information