Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGirlCanSkate

Netflix: If you watch home improvement shows- The House Doctor is entertaining. Tracy Metro is an American living in the UK and she redoes a room or two for people who can't sell their homes. I enjoy her living up to the stereotype of an American. Nothing is amazing, but it does show how some small changes can make a big difference. There is follow up if the house sold/didn't sell or under contract. I like seeing how property is different in the UK vs the US.

I think the US puts a much bigger focus on the kitchen/laundry facilities (if I look at these shows as a stereotype, lol).

Hulu - Daria as it is going to get a reboot, it has been fun to watch. I never watched it when it was a current show, this is my first time.

VGThuy

Netflix: If you watch home improvement shows- The House Doctor is entertaining. Tracy Metro is an American living in the UK and she redoes a room or two for people who can't sell their homes. I enjoy her living up to the stereotype of an American. Nothing is amazing, but it does show how some small changes can make a big difference. There is follow up if the house sold/didn't sell or under contract. I like seeing how property is different in the UK vs the US.

I think the US puts a much bigger focus on the kitchen/laundry facilities (if I look at these shows as a stereotype, lol).

Hulu - Daria as it is going to get a reboot, it has been fun to watch. I never watched it when it was a current show, this is my first time.

I actually appreciated Daria more as an adult than I did when I watched it as it aired as a teenager. I think a lot of people remember it as some nihilistic teenager cynically ragging on people, but the show was actually not that and a much better show than I think most remember. It actually has real depth to almost all of the characters, even the ones you think are being portrayed with initial disdain.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I recently saw Daria accused (maybe half-jokingly?) of being a show that single-handedly led to a huge upward trend in cynicism among teenagers/young people.

I've never seen it, myself.

VGThuy

I recently saw Daria accused (maybe half-jokingly?) of being a show that single-handedly led to a huge upward trend in cynicism among teenagers/young people.

I've never seen it, myself.

I'd be interested in reading that piece. I don't mean to downplay Daria's cynicism that was part of her character, but it was often the case that the show didn't glorify it or make it seem like a completely healthy outlook on life though it also didn't judge her for that either, especially when she was called out on it by various characters throughout the show. By the end, there was a lot of growth. Maybe people just latched on to her initial pessimism and didn't watch or really take the themes of her evolution to heart. That said, Daria was a naturally cynical person any way and there's nothing wrong with that but the show made sure to show that dwelling in it to the point where your perspective gets cloudy is also something that needs to be called out on.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I actually appreciated Daria more as an adult than I did when I watched it as it aired as a teenager. I think a lot of people remember it as some nihilistic teenager cynically tagging on people, but the show was actually not that and a much better show than I think most remember. It actually has real depth to almost all of the characters, even the ones you think are being portrayed with initial disdain.
I really enjoyed the show when it was first on. I didn't watch every episode but I watched it a lot. I was already an adult though so maybe that makes a difference.

LeafOnTheWind

The Daria set was the best birthday present I ever received. I don't remember watching it when it aired but I do love it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the reboot.

VGThuy

I just saw episode 10 of the Handmaid's Tale Season 2....

I am still crying. I couldn't help but really bawl my eyes out just thinking what it was like when my mom and I were separated when I was younger and then thinking about all those children separated from their parents right now and being sent to God knows where with little chance of being united.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
My friends and I were already that cynical - Daria just made us feel seen.

I finally got to see the show GLOW, watching S1 earlier this week - only to learn that S2 was dropping on Friday! We had an epic marathon yesterday and now am heartbroken that there aren’t any more episodes to watch :wuzrobbed

smurfy

I watched 'A Very English Scandal' on Prime. 3 parts - or basically movie that is under 3 hours - based on true story of MP Jeremy Thorpe and his affair with Norman Scott.
Stars Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw with Alex Jennings. It is very amusing and entertaining and great acting. It did feel a bit long near the end. How many times were they discussing offing somebody!
Acting was very good, overall pacing good, except near the end. Covers a lot of material in a short period, but you get all the info in a fun way, even though one knows it had be very serious when it was going on. But some things were so absurd. Highly recommend.
Hugh Grant was wearing contacts to make his eyes dark - and I found it distracting on closeups - is that really Hugh?

TheGirlCanSkate

Set It Up was the total fluffy, silly pick me up that I needed this weekend. If you like cheesy romcoms, I totally recommend it :cheer:
I was bored last night and gave it a try - very cute! There aren't a lot of new romantic comedies and it is my favorite genre for film. I wasn't going to try it but then I saw your review. Thanks! <3

znhurston

Not sure if this has posted or not in this thread but I recently watched a series on Amazon Prime called A Very English Scandal. It's based on the real-life scandal of Jeremy Thorpe, the leader of Great Britain's Liberal Party in the 1970s. Thorpe was accused and found not guilty of hiring hit men to kill his former lover, Norman Scott. Hugh Grant portrays Thorpe and Ben Whisaw plays Scott. In addition to great acting, the script and direction are excellent.

clairecloutier

We just finished watching Babylon Berlin on Netflix. I'm really glad people here recommended it, because we probably would never have tried it otherwise. It was great, I really enjoyed it. Also, I couldn't believe how relevant it felt politically to today's world, despite taking place in 1929. Great show.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Set it Up was adorable- that's one I could watch multiple times and not get sick of it. Supposedly there could be a sequel in the works and I'm not mad about it.

Really looking forward to Sacred Games on Netflix, which comes out this Friday. It looks amazing!

Also excited for season 2 of Harlots on Hulu next week. I didn't expect to like it so much when I watched it last year, but it's really well done.

text_skate

We just finished watching Babylon Berlin on Netflix. I'm really glad people here recommended it, because we probably would never have tried it otherwise. It was great, I really enjoyed it. Also, I couldn't believe how relevant it felt politically to today's world, despite taking place in 1929. Great show.

You're lucky. In Germany we still have to wait for it, just available on Sky, although a very big part was financed by the public broadcaster ARD. In September they'll air it, eventually.

Off topic: Actually, I'm not a fan of this model: for almost a year you have to wait for something, you've paid for. One could argue, that the public broadcasters subsidized a multi-billion company. It's not sure, if ARD will finance once again with big Euros and wait for years to air, and if not, if and how Sky will finance the show.

I read somewhere, the guys behind Babylon Berlin are already working on a third (and fourth) series. The female lead said in an interview, she thinks, in autumn they'll start shooting.

text_skate

As for German series, I'd like to recommend "Weissensee". I think netflix is holding the rights for distribution. Weissensee is set in East Berlin in the 80ies and 90ies. It's about two families. One family with close ties to the SED and Stasi, the other more bohemian.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Any lighthearted Hulu originals (shows or movies) that you recommend? I have a free trial this month. I tried The Path and Handmaid's Tale, but I couldn't make it through the first episodes. They both weirded me out too much. I go through phases where I can't take anything too dark.

oleada

GLOW SEASON 2 :encore:

What an absolutely fun romp filled with nuance, character development, feminism and fun! I think season 2 builds up a little slower but the last 3 episodes KILLED. I loved, loved loved the finales.

I've been baking pies at home....pies of rage! :EVILLE:

TheGirlCanSkate

Any lighthearted Hulu originals (shows or movies) that you recommend? I have a free trial this month. I tried The Path and Handmaid's Tale, but I couldn't make it through the first episodes. They both weirded me out too much. I go through phases where I can't take anything too dark.
I've been watching Marvel's Runaways on Hulu. It's fun. Not as dark as Netflix Marvel.

clairecloutier

We watched the second season of Top of the Lake (China Girl). I did overall enjoy it, but as with the first season, almost every character in the show was weird. And, like the first season, quite a bit of the dialogue was inscrutable and odd. Jane Campion directed, and I always find her work to be interesting, but strange. The plot got a bit wild toward the end, and I still don’t understand some of the twists and turns (a bit implausible). The best part was the acting. Elisabeth Moss was great and intense, as usual. Nicole Kidman plays the smaller role of the mother who adopted Elisabeth’s daughter, and I thought she was fab. She went with a very non-glamorous look for this role, which I loved because it’s so different from her normal Hollywood stuff. (last thing I saw her in was the first episode of her show with Reese Witherspoon—Big Little Lies?—and she couldn’t be more different here.) Her character is unsympathetic, and Nicole does nothing to soften her; I liked the boldness of her performance. Alice Englert (Campion’s daughter) makes an amazing debut as Mary, the daughter Elisabeth gave up for adoption. Gwendoline Christie of Game of Thrones also appears, but her character was bizarre, and I found her hard to get into.

The show leaves me with a dilemma, because I don’t really want to watch another season of The Handmaid’s Tale, but I really DO want to see more Elisabeth Moss. :lol:

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
My friends and I were already that cynical - Daria just made us feel seen.
Another Daria fan. As soon as the DVD box set came out I brought it. I was in my 30s when I first saw it but loved it and the characters. I also have the two movies they made for it as well. I might have to rewatch it soon.

I finally got to see the show GLOW, watching S1 earlier this week - only to learn that S2 was dropping on Friday! We had an epic marathon yesterday and now am heartbroken that there aren’t any more episodes to watch :wuzrobbed
Loved the first season of this and will now need to watch the second season. I hadn't even realised there was a second season.

Handmaids Tale S2 is nearly over. Been absolutely riveted with it. Elisabeth Moss is so incredible. What a performance.

I don't know if anyone has seen the Australian show Wentworth but for female performances you really cannot go past it. Based on an 80s show Prisoner (Cell Block H in the UK) they did a fantastic reinvention of the program.

DannyCurry

I've watched quite a few shows on Netflix.

About food :
  • Ugly Delicious : Makes me so hungry most of the time.
  • Zumbo's Just Desserts : Rachel Khoo is lovely. Zumbo's creations often look wonderful but I can't stand his assistant, Gigi.
  • Nailed It : I like when contestants are genuinely inexperienced (which does not seem to be the case of some of the winners). The main host, Nicole Byer, is hilarious.
  • Cooking on High : I only watched the 1st episode. Lame.
  • The Big Family Cooking Showdown : Okay. I was actually impressed that Britons could cook, ha.
Gay :
  • Eastsiders : Cool show. Some cute actors and it feels like it depicts real life.
  • Queer Eye : Only watched one episode. I'm fine that it's toned down but IIRC, the original Queer Eyes for the Straight Guy was much more entertaining.
  • Ru Paul's Drag Race is everything but toned down, and I'm really behind on this one. Truly enjoyed season 6.
Asian :
  • A Love So Beautiful : Unfortunately, I haven't found any Taiwanese drama on Netflix France, so to practice my Mandarin, I forced myself to watch a few episodes from that show, which must be from Mainland China. So awful. Poor pacing, awkward writing and the female lead is not likeable at all.
Others :
  • Alias Grace : Pretty good. I should read at least some of Margaret Atwood's work.
  • Black Mirror : Some really good episodes and a few depressing ones. I liked it.
  • Chewing Gum : Loved it. I love the mom's character, she's so funny.
  • Marco Polo : Apart from the neverending opening credits, what is there to say about this show ? It is produced by the Weinstein Company. Is it why we get to see that much female nudity ? Weinstein also probably inspired the Kublai Khan's gross character. He does have a few fun cues though. The guy playing Marco, Italy's Lorenzo Richelmy, is quite easy on the eyes but that's not enough to save the show. His character is boring as hell. No wonder it was cancelled after two seasons.
  • Money Heist (La Casa de Papel) : The first episodes looked promising but as it goes on, originality is lost. Too bad because it had good potential.
  • Stranger Things : I really liked season 1. My favorite characters are Eleven, Mike and Will. OTOH I absolutely can't stand Dustin and Lucas. Liked the retro vibes. However, season 2 was kinda meh, IMO.
  • The Crown : I had tried to watch the show before, but never made it through the 1st ten minutes, until a few months ago. Once I finally forced myself to watch the first episodes and caught a glimpse of « Prince Philip » butt-naked, I was thirsty for more royal nudity. While the following episodes didn't quench it, and the show is quite slow, overall I enjoyed the first two seasons.
Movies :
  • Annihilation : Overall, disappointing.
  • Alex Strangelove : So bad.
  • First They Killed My Father : A movie about the Khmer rouge genocide. Angelina Jolie did a great job, directing the movie. Heartbreaking story and performance from Sareum Srey Moch (the little girl/main actress).

Though I've spent way too much time Netflixing already, I'll probably watch : Anne With an E (as I liked Anne of Green Gables when I was a kid) and season 6 of Orange is the New Black.

Oh and it's not on Netflix, but I absolutely love The Handmaid's Tale. Can't wait for the finale of season 2. Also not on Netflix, The Man in the High Castle, a dystopia in which Nazi Germany and Japan won WWII, hence the US is split between those 2 superpowers (I've been waiting season 3 for a while now).

clairecloutier

My husband and daughters started watching Nailed It. They just showed me an episode tonight where the contestants made horrible-looking cakes that were supposed to look like Donald Trump. LOL.

TheGirlCanSkate

Hulu - Gaycation - My coworker steered me to this series. Interesting perspectives - I've seen 2 episodes. The Brazil episode is heartbreaking though.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
My husband and daughters started watching Nailed It. They just showed me an episode tonight where the contestants made horrible-looking cakes that were supposed to look like Donald Trump. LOL.
Damn I missed that one. Must have been in the first season. Just finished the second season though. So much fun. I liked it when they had the "Jacque must speak in French" button. And the "Nagging Nicole" button is hilarious.

Handmaid's Tale was amazing. Elisabeth Moss was incredible. I can't wait for the third season now.

Last night I started watching The Staircase. One of those documentaries similar to Making a Murderer. I know a film maker is going to put a slant on it but you do kind of wonder how the verdict went they way it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information