Netflix “Bad Sport” documentary series (featuring SLC Pairs)

Judy

I looked it up the other day to see it again because I couldn’t remember it.

It was so bad I must have blocked it from memory. :scream:
I totally can't see it .. could you link? I know the very basics of Twitter but overall I find it irritating to go through stuff.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
She seems to retweet a lot of people who criticize her. I didn't see any anti-vax tweets and I went back pretty far.

skategal

Bunny mama
She seems to retweet a lot of people who criticize her. I didn't see any anti-vax tweets and I went back pretty far.
It’s in the stuff that she likes on Twitter.

She doesn’t tweet it herself.

She liked several of Donald Trump Jr tweets as well as lots of stuff critical of President Biden.

She liked someone very critical of vaccine mandates.

That’s all off the top of my head.

skategal

Bunny mama
I totally can't see it .. could you link? I know the very basics of Twitter but overall I find it irritating to go through stuff.
Go to her Twitter account.

Go to the far right of the page where it says “likes” and click on it.

It shows all the tweets of other people that she has liked.

Judy

She liked several of Donald Trump Jr tweets as well as lots of stuff critical of President Biden.

Oh .. ok gotcha.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

Being critical of vaccine mandates is NOT the same as being an anti-vaxxer. And being critical of Biden doesn't make her a Trump supporter.

Beyond that, what does it matter what her personal politics are when it comes to the SLC pairs scandal and her thoughts on that? I am sure that her opinion of what B/S or Moskvina knew or didn't know was well baked-in long before Donald Trump ever rose to power or we got a second, senile, old white guy who is nothing more than puppet for his party's extremists in a row in the Oval Office.

skategal

Bunny mama
Being critical of vaccine mandates is NOT the same as being an anti-vaxxer. And being critical of Biden doesn't make her a Trump supporter.

Beyond that, what does it matter what her personal politics are when it comes to the SLC pairs scandal and her thoughts on that? I am sure that her opinion of what B/S or Moskvina knew or didn't know was well baked-in long before Donald Trump ever rose to power or we got a second, senile, old white guy who is nothing more than puppet for his party's extremists in a row in the Oval Office.
I don’t think I said she was an anti-vaxxer or a Trumper?

I said she disagreed with her husband who liked a tweet in support of vaccine mandates.

But her Twitter likes are very uhm….bizarre for sure….especially for a Canadian.

I can never quite understand why we Canadians would be so consumed with US politics to the point of having our social media filled with it but it does happen.

skatfan

I was there and I wouldn't say that people didn't clap because they had RUS after their names. The only thing I remember thinking about Lobacheva and Averbukh is that they tried to pander to a NA audience but completely failed to grasp the style of the dance and failed miserably at it. It just wasn't good. I saw Russians trying to skate like they were North Americans and it bombed. Most of the people sitting around me were asking their friends if this team had ever watched this style of dance at all and found it just confusing and bad. Most came to the conclusion that they judges had them that high because of their technique and we just didn't know enough about that aspect. If they had done any other dance they probably would have done a lot better with the audience. It was very underwhelming.
That was my take being in the arena- L&A failed to connect with the audience based on their programs. I didn’t understand a thing about ice dance tech so I can’t comment on that.

Miezekatze

It essentially is.
Not really.

95% of German government and health experts and virologists thinks we need to get most Germans to get vaccinated against Covid-19 with all sorts of measures.

But I'd say the same 95% of German politicians AND health experts and the virologists are against actual vaccine mandates. There's very very very little support for vaccine mandates, it all ends with "light pressure" actions at most.

There seem to be big cultural differences around the question what is the best way to get people vaccinated.

Kimkeb

I said she disagreed with her husband who liked a tweet in support of vaccine mandates.

But her Twitter likes are very uhm….bizarre for sure….especially for a Canadian.

I can never quite understand why we Canadians would be so consumed with US politics to the point of having our social media filled with it but it does happen.
I’m curious. How we started talking about vaccines and Donald Trump on a figure skating thread that was based off what happened almost 20 years ago. It is unfair to judge Jamie Sale by what she likes on social media and Twitter. It is a okay to disagree with her but she should not be defined by it.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m curious. How we started talking about vaccines and Donald Trump on a figure skating thread that was based off what happened almost 20 years ago. It is unfair to judge Jamie Sale by what she likes on social media and Twitter. It is a okay to disagree with her but she should not be defined by it.
I’m not the one who started it.

I told people how to access her Twitter likes because people were asking.

And I made some general comments about what was there and that I thought it was strange. I am entitled to my opinion just like you are.

It’s all there for everyone to access and make up their own minds about what she likes and doesn’t like.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Because people are equating her opinion about what happened in SLC as a crackpot conspiracy theory opinion and that we shouldn't be surprised about this if we followed her on social media because apparently some people think, based on her Twitter likes, that she's an anti-vaxxer and Trumper. That's pretty scant evidence and it's a pretty sad commentary on where society is today.

I think that's a hard leap to make about her and it's offensive. There are people in this thread who have made comments that essentially agree with/support the notion that SLC was rigged and they, most assuredly, aren't anti-vaxxers/Trumpers, if one reads what they've said in other areas of FSU (WWH and PI). Beyond that, consider that Jamie has probably been hearing for the better part of the last twenty years from family, friends and fans comments that support the notion that there was RFSF and Russian mafia involvement in the SLC pairs & dance outcomes.

Should she have said that on film for this or any other documentary or retrospective? That's debatable. I don't think it's going to damage her "brand" in Canada or North America, not that she has much to "sell" at this point in time. It certainly isn't going to stop Skate Canada or the COC from bringing her in to work with them in some capacity if she desires. It's not as though she's still skating on tours, etc. Does it make her look uncharitable, self-serving, dumb, or a bad sport to hardcore skating fans? Sure, but we're a very tiny segment of the audience.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I think the point was to show how vocal Jamie can be. She isn't shy about expressing her opinions, and sometimes they're unpopular opinions. It doesn't mean she is a terrible person, but it does tell a lot about her mindset.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
It is unfair to judge Jamie Sale by what she likes on social media and Twitter. It is a okay to disagree with her but she should not be defined by it.
Uhh... you'll have to unpack this one for me. How is it unfair to judge someone based on what they put out publicly? It's not like we are peeking into her private life. This is information she chooses to put in the public space.

We judge, define, and analyze others based on our observations, based on things they say & do, and their choices. I don't see how this is any different.

Judy

Oh yes there are def some! Likely more conservative voting I guess.

My very limited understanding is that some Canadians are anti-immigration. My brother-in-law's parents own a condo somewhere In Florida and he said that sometimes they had to sit and listen to Americans and Canadians going on about hating immigration etc. Now his parents just spend time with another Cdn couple and no politics are discussed which IMO is kinda typical of Canadians). This was before Covid. I doubt that was the only thing.

Lemonade20

Uhh... you'll have to unpack this one for me. How is it unfair to judge someone based on what they put out publicly? It's not like we are peeking into her private life. This is information she chooses to put in the public space.

We judge, define, and analyze others based on our observations, based on things they say & do, and their choices. I don't see how this is any different.
We're allowed to make our own personal judgements, but we can't tell people what they're allowed to like/share/comment. That's their own opinions.

rhapsody

My favorite part of the documentary was the contrast between Jamie and Elena's lives before they paired up with their champion partners.

Elena accidentally gets struck in the head by an abusive partner's blade and has to relearn how to walk and talk. Meanwhile Jamie is a very sad girl in Canada because she can't find a partner... both equally gut wrenching scenarios!

Judy

My favorite part of the documentary was the contrast between Jamie and Elena's lives before they paired up with their champion partners.

Elena accidentally gets struck in the head by an abusive partner's blade and has to relearn how to walk and talk. Meanwhile Jamie is a very sad girl in Canada because she can't find a partner... both equally gut wrenching scenarios!
Considering things with what is going on now and an abusive partner is chilling IMO.

Judy

Canadian hockey fans that I know want to beat the USA just as much as they do Russia.

Some of them even more so. :lol:

There doesn’t seem to be any Canada -USA love in hockey at least on the part of Canadians.
It def involves who is facing who in hockey. The U.S. is def and justifiably a credible opponent. If Canada loses well the Cdn media starts ... I roll my eyes. We're failing, Cdn hockey and our entire development is failing blah blah. coach failed etc etc etc lol.

Lemonade20

Who was telling people what they are allowed to like/share/comment?
I'm just saying if she is liking anti-vax tweets, that's her opinion. It doesn't mean we have to agree with her. There are some people who are judging her on something that's not even linked to 20 years ago.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm just saying if she is liking anti-vax tweets, that's her opinion. It doesn't mean we have to agree with her. There are some people who are judging her on something that's not even linked to 20 years ago.
And my opinion is that liking anti-vax tweets is something only sucky people do. Judging people for their own behavior is not telling them they aren't allowed to have that behavior. If you do something in public, the public will judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information