My kitty cat has cancer

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
My sweet kitty, Pretzel, 11, was diagnosed with lymphoma over the weekend. It has come so fast. She hasn't been eating since her admission Saturday (we picked her up after about 15 hours at the animal hospital where she got fluids, first dose of chemo, etc), but started drinking. Mr. Lanie took her to the urgent care vet because we don't want to admit her at this point (she was a bit traumatized by the whole thing Saturday), but try to get some fluids in her. I can't stop crying about it, and I don't really know how to explain to Mini just how sick she is. Kitties supposedly respond really well, but even with the prednisone (and we just gave her another appetite stimulant this afternoon at around 5), but it still only is 3-6 months if we are lucky. I don't know what to do. She's our baby and is Mini's best friend, an affectionate lap cat. It's heartbreaking seeing her so miserable. She was utterly lethargic and barely drinking yesterday, but drank a lot today and was more responsive, brighter eyed, and a bit chatty--still far, far from her usual self though.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Sorry to hear about Pretzel. Can only hope that she is comfortable. I am sure you are giving her the best of care.

I had to put my diabetic puss down recently after 2 1/2 years of insulin and other medications. It is horrible seeing them suffer and not well so I understand what you are dealing with.

Japanfan

I'm heartbroken for you @Lanie. We lost our last golden retriever Luna to multiple cancers. She was seemingly fine one Wednesday, and gone the next. It was devastating.

It's Pretzal's comfort and happiness that has to come first.

:wuzrobbed
I can't advise you as to what to say to Mini, I have no children. I hope that others can offer you insights.

Last edited:

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Thank you all. You've all been so important i my life since I was--gosh--15...and I know I can come here for advice or support for anything...

It's so heartbreaking. Mr. Lanie came home with her from the urgent care where they gave her anti-nausea meds and some subcutaneous fluids. She ate some tuna, groomed herself and my fingers, and even played a bit with me tonight. I feel a lot better knowing we are going to the oncologist appointment tomorrow morning with her improving and some ideas to keep her as healthy as possible. She's snoozing on my desk here with me right now.

Here she was last night with Mini.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Thank you for sharing the photo of Pretzel with Mini. Pretzel is a beautiful kitty, and so lucky to have you for her mom, @Lanie. Sending thoughts, prayers and hugs to you and Mini. 💞

canbelto

Pretzel is beautiful! I have a striped orange tabby.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
So sorry for you and your family that Pretzel is so sick. Thank you for sharing that sweet picture of Mini and lovely Pretzel. My heart goes out to you.

clairecloutier

So sorry @Lanie! :cry:

We are going through something similar ... We have 3 cats who are all 12, going on 13. One of them has stage 3 renal failure, is eating very little, and due to high calcium values, might also have cancer. Another one of the cats was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism--he had lost 4 pounds and will need to be on medication for the rest of his life. I'm not sure how much longer either of them are going to make it. One of our daughters is very emotionally attached to the cats, and I know she's going to be very sad when they pass on. (We will miss them too, of course.) :wuzrobbed

antmanb

(((((@Lanie ))))) i'm so sorry.

The picture you posted is beautiful. it always breaks my heart when we bring our fur babies home from a procedure and they have the shaved patch on their paw.

Last edited:

shan

I'm so sorry Lanie. Hugs and prayers for your family and your sweet little kitty.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I am so sorry @Lanie. One of our cats was diagnosed small cell lymphoma last fall, but small cell is treatable with pred and oral chemo. Sounds like your Pretzel has large cell with that prognosis.

Ask for "meltable" pred pills if you haven't already, it is so much easier. Also if you are using Cerenia and can afford to formulate it into a paste, it's a lot easier than cutting quarter pills. But expensive. :(

Hugs to Pretzel and all who love her.

sk8pics

I'm so sorry @Lanie. It is never easy to watch our fur babies suffer. I hope you will be able to get some good results from treatment, or at least keep her comfortable. She'll let you know when she's ready... you just have to listen. My much loved Leo died suddenly on December 2 and probably had cancer, but it all happened too fast. Give Pretzel extra hugs.
If she likes that, of course!

(((((@Lanie ))))) it always breaks my heart when we bring our fur babies home from a procedure and they have the shaved patch on their paw.
Me too... :(

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oh, @Lanie, I'm so sorry. What a beautiful girl she is. I hope that she can be comfortable and that you get to give her tons of love over the next little while. I'll be thinking of her and you. ((hugs))

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I am so sorry to hear this. The sadness we feel when our animal companions are sick is a testament to how much they get into our hearts and our lives. But I'm sure it's even harder when you have to deal with Mini's emotions in addition to your own.

The cat I had prior to my current kitty got cancer and I took her for chemo for a few months. I think it was worth it because it helped her quality of life for a number of months but I also had to consider how much stress going to the vet each week created for her. These decisions aren't easy because there are so many factors and unknowns, but I know whatever you decide will be based on your care and love for Pretzel, so don't second guess whatever you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information