Movie/TV awards 2019-2020 thread

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I am not prepared for puffy middle aged Dadcore Eminem singing a slowed down version of Lose Yourself here

ETA especially lip-syncing

ilovepaydays

Meh. Laura Dern's character and performance were my least favorite part of "Marriage Story." It seemed almost like a caricature. But, I did think Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson were great.
I think of Laura Dern's Oscar as a 35 year old make-up for not nominating her for "Smooth Talk."

We can consider it a belated achievement award for her role in Jurassic Park. ;)

I am not prepared for puffy middle aged Dadcore Eminem singing a slowed down version of Lose Yourself here

YEP, I felt old watching that.
——————————

I’ll just say it because it seems so obvious: The Oscars needs a host. BADLY.

peibeck

Simply looking
The "Ford v Ferrari" sound guy was a grumpy cat, telling off the Academy for not nominating James Mangold and grousing about 20th Century Fox being sold to Disney. :yikes: I'm sure his agent was thrilled. :p

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am Very happy that Skateistan (learning to skateboard...) won the short documentary. It was adorable.

Also happy that Ford v Ferrari and 1917 split the two Sound Oscars.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think of Laura Dern's Oscar as a 35 year old make-up for not nominating her for "Smooth Talk."

Some of the Oscar voters probably don't even remember Smooth Talk. Laura was exceptional in that film and in many films over the course of her career. This year Laura was great in two Oscar-nominated films (Little Women and Marriage Story). I also remember Laura's stand-out performance in Wild, with Reese Witherspoon.

I'm very happy for her! And it was cool to see Laura sharing the night with her daughter and her mother. She also gave a lovely, inspiring acceptance speech. :)

screech

I shouted "HOLY S*IT" when Eminem came out. I was wondering why they spent so long on him in that montage, without playing Lose Yourself. IIRC he didn't attend when the song won the Oscar because he thought he would lose. The performance wasn't the best, but it's a fantastic song (and better than tonight's nominees...)

Meh. Laura Dern's character and performance were my least favorite part of "Marriage Story." It seemed almost like a caricature. But, I did think Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson were great.
Ditto. I also found her acceptance speech seemed overly rehearsed.

They need to get rid of the introductions of the presenters. They seem so disjointed (except the Anthony Ramos one) and fill up time that doesn't need to be filled up.

jenny12

What a voice from Cynthia Erivo! Didn’t care for the song though (none of the songs this year sound great)

peibeck

Simply looking
Cynthia Erivo's voice is amazing. This song, not as much. Still no really great songs this year, imo.

peibeck

Simply looking
The cinematography was outstanding in 1917. IMO, that's what really made the film. I would have been shocked if the movie hadn't won in that category.

It helped make the film, certainly, as the film wasn't a gabfest with the actors chewing down the scenery, like "The Irishman. "

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The cinematography was outstanding in 1917. IMO, that's what really made the film. I would have been shocked if the movie hadn't won in that category.
If any other movie had won the cinematography award, it would have been a huge wuzrobbed.

I didn't feel that Bombshell really deserved the makeup award. They made Charlize Theron look like Megyn Kelly but a lot of it was due to Charlize's superb Acting.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
30 years shorter than will be the expected misguided attempt this year to make up for Judy Garland's not being awarded for the 1954 version of "A Star is Born".
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was basically what the Academy is doing.

peibeck

Simply looking
30 years shorter than will be the expected misguided attempt this year to make up for Judy Garland's not being awarded for the 1954 version of "A Star is Born".

I didn't see "Judy" but I'm not a fan of Renee Zellweger. Her nominations and wins for "Cold Mountain" has always been a huge WTF moment for me. I'm surprised that whole cultural misappropriation of her casting in that role didn't blow up this season.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was basically what the Academy is doing.
I'm curious to know if you have read Liza Minnelli's reaction to the existence of the film and to Renee Zellweger's participation.

Liza has not seen the film and was quoted recently as saying only that she hoped (and I am paraphrasing) that RZ enjoyed the experience of making the film, without commenting on her performance.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I had, yes. I also know Liza wasn't overly happy about the movie being made in the first place. I think I read that in the IMDB trivia, I know I read it somewhere.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

I am sappy enough to love the international cast singing with Idina Menzel.

But what was the appropriation in Cold Mountain?

screech

Holy crap Bong Joon-ho!!
And love that his speech is mainly honouring the other directors.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's interesting that they have Spike Lee presenting the Best Director award. Spike did not win for Best Director last year, though he should have won more than once by now for his directing greatness. Spike won his first competitive Oscar last year for Best Adapted Screenplay, not for Best Director.

I think Quentin Tarantino should have finally been honored for his directing genius. But it's nice that the filmmaker who won the directing award, Bong Joon-ho, singled out Quentin to thank him for his help and generosity.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
LOVE that Bong Joon Ho won, even though I predicted Sam Mendes. Now...can he hold on and win Best Pic too?? :saint:

aftershocks

Banned Member
But what was the appropriation in Cold Mountain?

The character that Zellweger portrayed in Cold Mountain was perhaps not poor white, but 'colored?' I actually don't remember the book perfectly, so I leave that as a question.

I vaguely remember being surprised at Zellweger's casting in Cold Mountain, but I also thought she did a fairly good job, albeit sinking her teeth into the scenery and coming close to over-acting. It was a Best Supporting award, so if Zellweger wins for Judy tonight, it will be a huge comeback for her. I'm sure she's expected to win. I haven't had a chance to see many of the nominated films this year.

screech

Joaquin's speech last week was (IMO) a lot better than tonight's. Until the end when he talked about redemption, which was good, and his emotion when talking about River.

cygnus

The character that Zellweger portrayed in Cold Mountain was perhaps not poor white, but 'colored?' I actually don't remember the book perfectly, so I leave that as a question.

I vaguely remember being surprised at Zellweger's casting in Cold Mountain, but I also thought she did a fairly good job, albeit sinking her teeth into the scenery and coming close to over-acting. It was a Best Supporting award, so if Zellweger wins for Judy tonight, it will be a huge comeback for her. I'm sure she's expected to win. I haven't had a chance to see many of the nominated films this year.

There is no indication that Ruby(or her father Storbrod) is anything other than poor white- had she been anything else it would have come up in the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information